Part Two

Happiness

It was the first time Kwon Jiyong pursued a woman, but he wasn’t nervous at all. He remembered everything Youngbae used to do when he was just courting his then girlfriend.

 

Jiyong knew that no girl could ever resist chocolates and one hundred roses. He became her personal driver when she wanted to. He took her on several dates on five-star restaurants. He consistently told her that he likes her over and over again.

 

And that made Sandara Park fall for Kwon Jiyong.

 

The lonely and silent Kwon Jiyong was long gone. All Sandara Park could see was a perfect gentleman she was in love with.

 

When their parents heard that they were dating, they were ecstatic! For the first time in Jiyong’s life, his father actually told him that he was proud of him. Jiyong knew that his father only said that because he was getting richer if both companies would merge. Jiyong looked at Sandara and he saw that she was also disgusted on how her parents were acting also.

 

Because of too much excitement, not long after Jiyong and Sandara’s 6th monthsary, their parents were already preparing for their marriage and Jiyong didn’t even proposed to Sandara yet. Parents—if they wanted to be a one big happy family, then why didn’t they just marry each other?

 

But did Sandara and Jiyong have a choice? No.
 

A grand wedding was planned and all the rich people would be there. They said that it would be the wedding of the century, though Sandara and Jiyong knew that they were exaggerating. But they couldn’t deny that everything was perfect.

 

Everything was perfect until the night before the wedding.

 

They were currently in a hotel where the wedding reception would be. Jiyong’s room was in a floor just above Sandara’s because their parents said that they might not be able to control themselves and jump at each other the day before their wedding. And thus, their parents booked 2 rooms on a different floor.

 

Sandara knew that it was a bad omen if the bride-to-be saw that groom-to-be the day before their wedding. But she couldn’t just shake the feeling off her. She heard something from above and she feared that Jiyong might have slipped or something. And she just had to see him. But it was just like they said, it was really bad luck.

 

There he was-- kissing a girl that was on top of him. The girl was already half and was not kissing Kwon Jiyong’s neck. If Kwon Jiyong pushed the girl off him, Sandara would have had forgiven him. But when he saw her watching them, he didn’t even stop. Instead, he looked at her, straight into her eyes while he unclasped the girl’s bra.

 

It was too much—too much for Sandara to bear.

 

She ran out of Jiyong’s room as fast as she could. She couldn’t believe he actually cheated on her and he had guts to do it in front of her.

 

Sandara didn’t know what to think anymore. She was mad, heartbroken, confused, and betrayed. She wanted answers but after what she saw tonight, she could never face him again. What he did was just sick and it almost made her barf.

 

The elevator was about to close when a hand stopped it. Sandara looked up and saw Jiyong facing him.

 

“Did it hurt? But you know what? The pain that you’re feeling right now isn’t even one percent of what he felt when he found out that you were getting married. He killed himself. He killed himself because he loved you. He killed himself because he couldn’t be with you. My bestfriend died because of you.” Jiyong’s words were full of anger. It was enough to drive her mad.

 

Kwon Jiyong let the elevator door close. When she was out of his sight, he just broke down. He did it. He had revenge. He should have been happy. But was he? No... because he fell in love.

 

...

 

The next day, instead of preparing for a wedding, Sandara Park’s parents prepared for her funeral. Sandara Park wore her wearing dress before she drank a whole bottle of sleeping pills. She thought she was strong, but she was far from strong. She thought knowing the truth matters the most, but it didn’t. It hurt her because he lied to her. It hurt her because she thought that they were in love.

 

It looked as if everything was real and genuine. But it all a lie...

 

And she was tired of living a life full of lies. She just wanted to sleep—and that was what she got. She fell asleep and she never woke up again.

 

...

 

Kwon Jiyong read the letter she left for him. He expected it to be full of hatred, but it didn’t. The letter contained all the things he should have known.

 

‘Dear Jiyong,

 

I wanted to leave this earth thinking about the Jiyong Youngbae often talked about. Did you know that? He talked about you so much that I was starting to get jealous because my boyfriend was talking so highly of you. He told me how much of a good friend you were and I’d have to give you credit for that.

 

Contrary to what you believe in, I chose your bestfriend. I defied my parents and I wanted to ask Youngbae to run away with me. I could live a simple life as long as I was with him. But I didn’t get to even talk to him. He died.

 

Honestly, I blamed myself for everything. What if I just told him about it? But I had my reasons for not telling him. I didn’t tell him about the arrange marriage thing because he would have been more depressed to know whom my groom was. The guy that my parents set me up with was you Jiyong.

 

The first time I saw you in the club, I knew who you were. But you were totally different from what Youngbae told me. You looked almost empty and broken. And I guess that it was all my fault.

 

And I tried to fix everything Jiyong. But then, I figured out that whatever I do, he isn’t coming back. What you said to me last night was like a bullet that pierced to my heart. You were right. I killed Dong Youngbae. And I created a monster.

 

And I’m sorry for that.

 

And if it would make you feel better...yes...I did fall for you. And my heart hurts so bad that I just wanted the pain to stop. I know you wanted me to suffer, but it just hurts too much. I know you’ll call me a coward for ending my life so that the pain would end. I’m sorry but...it’s just too much to bear.’

 

Jiyong dropped on his knees after he finished reading her letter. If only he knew, he wouldn’t have sought for revenge. It was as if he threw a boomerang—it came back to him. He should pay for his actions and you knew what the code of Hammurabi stated:

 

‘An eye for an eye... a tooth for a tooth...’