Chapter 1

Strawberry Jam

Chapter 1 - The things he'd do for her

Note: Sunhee = You.

 

 

“Oi. Idiot, wake up.”

 

If it wasn’t for his lover’s usual wakeup call then he wouldn’t be pissed right now. He groaned loudly enough for his voice to fill the entire apartment. The curtains were still closed shut but something was shining on his face and it was irritating him.

 

Slowly, very slowly, he opened his eyes and met eyes with Sunhee. He smiled sluggishly as he saw a vein on her temple. She was in a bad mood. She always was anyway, Sunhee wasn’t a morning person.

 

“Get up.” She demanded her voice high. Taemin shook his head jokingly and felt something hard hit him on the head. He quickly sat up.

 

“Did you just throw my shoe at me?” He growled. She smiled innocently and nodded as if proud that she had harmed her lover.

 

“Of course I did yeobo. If you don’t get up in one minute another one will be hitting that pretty face of yours.” She threatened and this time, she wasn’t using her innocent smile. Taemin swore he saw fire in her eyes.

 

After graduating university, he finally got his master’s degree in nursing and was currently working at a nursing home. It was a slow painful job having to get his position as the care’s assistant. The only thing Taemin wanted was a good salary and the pay wasn’t that bad. It was enough for him to make a living and when the time was right, he got his own apartment.

 

Of course buying this meant that he’d have to invite his girlfriend to move in with him, considering they had been going out for four years now. It was a tough experience they had to go through, they had met unexpectedly in a public toilet. It wasn’t that Taemin went in the wrong one, no, Sunhee came in the gents. As awkward as it was when he was in the middle of taking a piss Sunhee paid no attention as she blushed realising that she came in the wrong toilet. Luckily he was the only one in the toilet and he screamed at her frantically asking her how she missed that sign on the wall.

 

The outcome of that were a slap and a bruise on Taemin’s forehead after she had blamed Taemin for being so rude to a woman, well girl. They were young adults when they met, still going through the immature stage and they didn’t start off as enemies.

 

Even after the little misunderstanding in the toilet, both of them was surprised they met once again but this in an alleyway. Taemin found her weird after that. At first, he thought his mind was playing tricks when he saw her practically everywhere since that day.

 

He wouldn’t say he wasn’t attracted to her. Heck how could anyone not be attracted to her? She was a beauty. Her skin glistened white with the slight of tan and face had that ‘innocent’ façade that was shown in her eyes. Anyone could be fooled by that act. Her body wasn’t as thin as it was but the shape when she wore the tight clothes, it showed her slim figure.

 

Taemin couldn’t remember how they ended up together. He didn’t know how he was still with her. Maybe it was their undying love for each other?

 

Nah.

 

 

He rubbed his eyes as he walked to the kitchen suddenly the smell of jam filled his nostrils. It was disgusting. He entered the kitchen to see the table filled with strawberry jam. Sunhee was standing by the table, her eyes were drifting off, she was in a deep thought.

 

“Sunhee…” He sighed shaking his head not shocked by the amount of jars that was on the table.

 

“Taemin I need your help.” She him off and smiled widely getting two bread knives passing one to Taemin. He looked at the knife on his hand and looked back at her.

 

“Seriously?”

 

“If you love me then you’ll do this for me!”

 

“What for?!”

 

“That’s a secret, you’ll find out soon enough.” She giggled winking slyly. “Now I want you to cut off all the crusts and place it on this plate when you’re done.” She pointed at the round plate behind her on the counter.

 

Taemin sighed shaking his head as he walked dejectedly to Sunhee. He wrapped his arms around her waist leaning his chin on her shoulder. “Fine but I need something to give me some energy first.” He puckered out his lips as a sign but he was pushed away to the counter.

 

“No.” She placed her hands on her hips, “you’ll get one after you finish cutting off the crusts neatly and tidily!”

 

Oh how he loves her so much.

 

 

He wondered if this kind of relationship with her would ever last. The last thing he wanted was to get on her bad side because Sunhee can get a bit physical sometimes, and by that he meant when something doesn’t go her way. Sunhee wasn’t the type who would give up easily and she looked so fragile because of her thin body but she had this inner self that could lash out like a beast.

 

It attracted Taemin somehow though some might find it weird enough. She whined a lot but it’s not like he was complaining. She wasn’t exactly the girl he thought he’d end up with, but he was happy.

 

“I finished one pack of bread, can I go now?” He stretched his fingers aching already.

 

“Oh no, honey there’s still three more packs for you to do.” She waved her hands too busy working on the strawberry jams placing the jam on the free crust bread. “You’re doing a great job so keep going! We have to be finished before nigh time.” She noted.

 

He nodded suddenly up for the challenge.

 

After a long silence with only the sound of plates coming in contact with the knife, Taemin cheered loudly as he finished the last piece of bread. He carried the plate to Sunhee. “Here’s the last batch.”

 

She could only nod not paying attention to him. He saw the plate of the sandwiches and smiled. Whatever she was doing must be for someone special. It was done very neatly and was cut into triangles and was wrapped up nicely in tissue paper.

 

“Do you need help?” He asked.

 

She shook her head. “No you can go now.”

 

“Okay…” He slowly made to exit the kitchen but stopped on his tracks. “Hey where’s my reward?” He pouted walking back to Sunhee’s side.

 

She stopped and dropped her knife. “You are not done yet. After this you have to bring this to somewhere.” She glared at him, “Taemin-oppa, it’s really important that we have to get this done and delivered to safely.” She said seriously. She pecked his lips, “Now go shower you stink.”

 

 

“Ok, so here’s the paper. The sandwiches are in the box and bring it to where the paper says. Go it?” She zipped up his coat and smiled warmly.

 

“Good luck!” She patted his chest and pushed him towards the door.

 

He went to the car and started the engine, he saw her handwriting on the paper the place wasn’t that far at all.

 

Wait a minute.

 

When he realised where the place was he smiled softly. He happily drove singing along to the music and arrived at the destination. He walked towards the building, he pushed the door open and entered the building.

 

He smiled as the colourful walls surrounded him.

 

Taemin reached the reception and greeted the lady. The lady looked at Taemin and saw the box. Her eyes lifted and clapped her hands. “Oh! Sunhee-ah didn’t forget.” She took the box from his hands and let it rest on her arms. “I knew I could count on her. Thank you so much.” She bowed.

 

“A—Ah it’s nothing! It’s Sunhee you should be thanking, she did most of the work.” He said sincerely feeling proud of his lover.

 

The lady nodded smiling all the while. “You must be Taemin, right? Sunhee talks about you all the time. She wasn’t kidding about you looking like a girl.” She laughed.

 

He frowned. She said something like that?

 

“But really, it’s getting kind of annoying. She always talks about you non-stop whenever I meet her. Especially to the kids! I swear to god, all she does to the kids especially to the girls, is to show off her boy! Aigoo, sometimes I wonder who’s older.” She shook her head chuckling.

 

He left the building after chatting with the lady, he blushed and was smiling from ear to ear. His heart leapt out of his chest finding out how much she talks about him.

 

He arrived home after dark, he thought it was nice to give her some present after her hard work today. He decided on strawberry cake.

 

It was unusually quiet. No blasting music of some random K-pop song playing. No Sunhee screaming along the lyrics on whatever room she was in. It was too quiet for his liking. “Sunhee?” He called out.

 

There was no answer and it made him feel a bit anxious. He walked to the living room to find her sprawled out on the couch snoring quite loudly.

 

He chuckled. She must’ve been exhausted.

He carried her to their bedroom and laid her down softly and kissed her forehead. “Good night.”

 

“I love you.” He whispered.

 

Even though he didn’t know how long it would last, he doesn’t want to think about it. He just wants to cherish his moments with her as much as possible. They will go through a lot of hardships but he wants to be there for her when that happens.

 

Today, he realised how much he was lucky to have her.

 

She was nice enough to make food for the orphanage and tell them tales about the two of them.

 

He wrapped his arms around her snuggling beside her.

 

That night, he dreamt of the most precious dream.