Final

Calling Summer (One Shot)

Please note that this story jumps from modern time then back to the past.

We met on the summer of 07'.
It just felt like yesterday when the cool sea breeze caressed my cheeks as her luscious medium length, brown hair flowed along like pieces of rich silk.

"Dujun" She cheered as she gently grabbed my hand leading me towards the beach. Her skin was smooth, her eyes were alluring but most of all, Summer was beautiful.
"Summer, when will you tell me your real name?" I carefully asked as I watched her features smile like there was no tomorrow.
"Soon" was all she could say before running towards the water.

I could tell she was enjoying herself, I for one was too. We were only teenagers who were enjoying our summer break. I, who was a year older than her was thankful to meet her on such a beautiful day. Though, It pained me not knowing her real name as she came from a different school.

Lightly, brushing my hands within the sand, I watched summer as she smiled to herself enjoying the water in true bliss. She was truly, beautiful.

The traffic was horrific and at times like this, I sorely regret not catching the train. The morning news echoed within my Mercedes Benz as the news reporter gave in the daily weather. "Goodmorning Korea, today marks the first day of summer"  She chimed, which made me smile in true bliss. Summer was great, Summer was beautiful, Summer was mine.

The sounds of the bonfire lighting filled the air, the midnight moon shone from a distance and the scent of roasting marshmallows scented are noses. It was a nice summer's night that I would never forget. Students huddled together around the bonfire, as we mumbled useless chatters that made are faces red and our mouths laughing. Summer was sitting beside me, talking to the people around her. Her laugh was a melody that sang a tune in my ears which leaded to my heart fluttering in true joy.
"Dujun, do want to walk around the beach?" She asked as her eyes twinkled. I nodded and was thankful for the mere darkness hiding the crimson forming on my cheeks. We stood up, as students around us cheered and cooed silly things. Summer laughed which made me too, laugh with her.

"It's beautiful" Summer remarked, admiring the beautiful landscape.
I nodded and thought to myself, no summer, your beautiful.

"It'd be great to swim right now" She smiled, staring at the blue ocean. This then made me think of an idea.
"Then let's go!" And with a cheeky smile forming on our faces we knew what was going to happen next. Hand in hand, we ran as fast as we could before landing on the cold liquid that made the hair's on our back stood up. I could still remember, how she never leg of my hand as we splashed around, laughing to ourselves.


"Do you see that over there?" She pointed towards the shining night's sky as we laid on the soft, mellow sand.
"That's a constellation" She remarked, her eyes twinkling from the night's sky.
"Summer, when will you tell me your real name?" I asked again, as my heart pumped in an incredible speed.
Though what I didn't expect the most was a laugh. Summer was laughing. Her eye-smile were one of her cutest features while her laugh was a melodic tune.
"Soon" Was all she said.

"Sir, these are the drafts from Max.corp" Hyuna, my assistant smiled as she handed over a plain, brown manila folder. A small smile appeared on her face as my hand accidently brushed over her smooth, manicured hand.

"Thankyou. You may go now" I said, as she bowed before leaving the room. The sounds of the office clock echoed within the room, tick tick, it sang.
Every second my heart thought of you, my dear summer.

There were only two days left before the summer break was over. I treated every day, as if it was the last. I cherished every moment with Summer, hoping that each day won't end. Though, I didn't know what her real name was, It didn't stop me from calling her. Calling Summer.
"Will you remember me, when the summer break ends?" She asked as we walked hand in hand beside the beach.
I nodded in response but was too shy to reply. Just then, my hand was empty. She let go. Turning around, I watched her as she stood still staring at me with unreadable eyes.
"Why aren't you replying?" She said, a hint of sadness heard within her voice. I watched her features, as they they slowly drooped down into a frown. Her eyes were no longer twinkling from happiness but rather from tears, her lips were no longer smiling but was trembling from sadness but most of all, Summer wasn't Summer.  She wasn't herself all due to me and my stupidity.
"What do you mean, Summer?" I said as I slowly approached her. Though, she didn't reply. Truthfully, I loved summer. I loved her from the moment I first laid eyes on her. But was too scared. Scared she didn't feel the same. Scared she didn't like me. So I kept mute.

"Summer, what's wrong?" I said, grabbing hold of her hands as she turned her face the other way.
"I-I" but before she could even say a word. I kissed her.

I finally kissed summer.

First day of Summer and it already begun to rain. The whole city was gloomy. I was gloomy. The clock striked 5:00pm and I was still inside my office.
"Sir, shouldn't you be leaving before the traffic get's worse?" Hyuna asked as she placed a warm cup of coffee on my table. I smiled and was thankful for her kindness, but being me, I decided to stay in a little late.
"Not tonight, you may go now if you like" I said, staring at her already crimson face. She stayed mute. And already, I knew her answer.
"Okay then. Would it be okay if you print off and scan these files, then?" I said handing over three manila folders. She smiled as she gently took hold of the folders.

 


That night was a magical night. We made love for the first and last time. Summer was beautiful. Too beautiful, that it pained me that she would be going. The room was silent but we didn't mind. Her hands were gently placed on my heart, where she felt my heartbeat. My heat beated for her. I slowly touched her forehead with the tips of my fingers before moving down to her nose, cheeks and then to her chin where I brought her in for a chaste kiss. 

We stared at each other's eyes for awhile, enjoying each other's presence and at that moment, I finally said it.

"I love you...my dear summer"


She placed yet another cup of coffee as a small chuckle escaped out of me. "Hyuna, are you trying to not let me sleep for the night?" I said rather amused as I saw yet another shade of crimson form on her cheeks. "No sir, I really didn't mean it. I thought you might like another cup, considering that  your staying in late" She smiled as I continued typing. Exactly 5 seconds had past and Hyuna was still standing where she was 5 seconds ago. "Is there anything wrong?" I asked staring at her. A weak smile formed onto her lips. "No Sir" she said but I knew she wasn't finished. "C-Can, I talk to you?" she continued as she fiddled with her finger. I nodded and stood up where I could see her face. "What is it?" I said slightly concerned.

There was a silence.

One, four, ten seconds had past and we stood in complete silence, until she cleared and did the unexpected. She kissed me. The kiss had ended and I just stood there, staring at the girl infront of me.

"Did you feel anything?" She said, her voice searching for answers.
"I'm sorry" was all I could say. She nodded and I was surprise to hear a slight chuckle escape out of her. It just pained me more.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so s-stupid doing such a thing" She murmured, hiding the tears away from her face.
"Hyuna, please. I'm Sor-"
"No don't be" and with that she left.


I handed her the necklace that my mother gave to me before she died. It meant a lot to me and it was worth giving it to someone who was worth so much.
"Summer, please tell me your real name" I said in between sobs as I caressed her cheek through the open window of the bus. She smiled, as a single tear dropped down from her cheek. With our eyes never ripping eye-contact, we kissed our last kiss.
"Soon" was all she said. And with a final goodbye, I never saw Summer again...

 


I decided to catch the morning train, considering how much I hate the morning traffic. Grabbing hold of my briefcase as I marched around the pathway, the sun shone from a distance as the sound of the birds chirping were heard from afar. Placing my briefcase on the ground, I gently pressed the button, as I waited at the pedestrian crossing. The sounds of cars honking and feet shuffling were heard everywhere, which made me cringe from annoyance.

Just then, looking up I saw her. It was Summer waiting across from the other side. She looked the same but had a mature look. Her hair was no longer medium length but rather long though her smile was still the same. I smiled and just when I thought my life was complete, she looked up. The pedestrian rang, signaling for us to cross the street. Grabbing my briefcase without ripping eye-contact, I made my way towards her, halfway.


"Hello Summer"

The End