Nightmare

Master of Disguise

NO! Because it was the chicken’s day off! BWAHAHA xD- Onew

 

Onew chuckled at his own brilliant joke. I hope she likes it.

A couple of minutes went by and still, no reply from Eunji.

Onew tightened his hold on his phone and pouted. She’s talking an awfully long time to reply.

She probably didn’t like it, he though remorsefully, gnawing on his lower lip.

“Texting Eunjin?”

Onew flinched and glanced at Jonghyun with a guilty expression.

“She was bored so I was trying to cheer her up.” He mumbled, lowering his head.

Jonghyun sighed. “Oh hyung, what are you going to do?”

Onew rolled his eyes and before he could give a quirky response, his phone started to ring.

Onew’s lite up face immediately turned dark as he took notice of the Caller ID.

“It’s that witch, isn’t it?” Grumbled Jonghyun, watching Onew’s face twist in pain.

Onew sadly nodded his head and—in an emotionless tone— he answered the phone. “Jihyun-ah?”

“Oppa, guess what?” Jihyun’s cheerful—and loud— voice burst through the phone, audible to Jonghyun.

“Mmm?”

“I bought my wedding dress today,” she squealed, clearly delighted.

Jonghyun snorted, “She probably looks like a cow in it.”

Onew shot his friend a look and answered weakly. “That’s nice Jihyun.”

Jihyun continued on, not hearing the indifference in Onew’s voice. “Oppa, our wedding is going to be amazing. Daddy ordered so much food, and he also booked part of the Han River, just for us.

Onew’s phone was snatched out of his hand, and a fuming dragon held it to his ear.

“YOU MAN STEALING . YOU’D BETTER CANCEL THIS WEDDING BEFORE I COME OVER THERE AND STRANGLE YOU TO—”

“You idiot,” hissed Onew, clasping his hand over Jonghyun’s mouth.

“Sorry Jihyun, my friend had a bad day today,” Onew shot him a dark look. “A very bad day.”

“I-It’s okay. It just took my off guard.”  Jihyun let out a nervous giggle.

“Get used to it .” Grumbled Jonghyun, stubbornly folding his hands over his chest.

Onew sighed. “Jihyun I have to go now.”

“Okay, bye Onew. I love you.”

Onew flinched. “B-Bye.”

He hung up and collapsed, face forward, onto his bed. “This is just too much.”

Jonghyun’s face softened and he soothingly rubbed his hyung’s back. “We’ll figure something what. We always do.”

The silence in the room was suddenly interrupted when the door was thrown open and a person yelling, “LEE ONEW.”

Both men jumped off the bed and stared at Eunji in shock.

“You’re back,” Jonghyun happily walked towards her—oblivious to the anger on Eunji’s face—his arms outstretched.

Eunji walked past him, completely ignoring him, and stopped in front of Onew.

Concern filled Onew’s eyes and he sat up straight. “Is everything oka—”

“Explain this,” she hissed, ing the picture into his hands.

Confusion and then pain appeared in Onew’s eyes as he took hold of the picture.

“Where did you get this?” He whispered weakly.

“What’s the big deal here, why are you—WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?”

Jonghyun stared at the photo in horror; as if it were a venomous snake.

Eunji and Onew ignored him; both stared intently at each other.

Jonghyun quickly recovered and laughed nervously. “D-Don’t misunderstand. Onew and I were helping Key with his project. That bastard even made me wear a dress.”

“Jonghyun, stop.” Onew weakly whispered.

Jonghyun stared at Eunji with wide eyes. “You don’t believe me? I-I’ll prove it to you. Key has the exact same dress in his closet; I’ll go get it for you—”

“Jonghyun STOP.” Onew’s voice rose slightly.

Jonghyun pouted and dropped his gaze. “Sorry.”

“Can you give us some privacy?”

Jonghyun dejectedly nodded his head and walked out the room, lightly shutting the door behind him.

“Well?” Growled Eunji, breaking the prolonged silence in the room.

Onew’s eyes landed on her bloody fist and he tenderly picked it up. “Let’s get this washed up.”

Yanking her hand out of his grip, Eunji snapped. “Yah Onew, answer the damn question.”

Ignoring her Onew walked into and out of the washroom, towel in hand.

“You have to wash it, or you’ll get an infection.” He mumbled holding out the towel.

Eunji ignored his outstretched hand and snorted. “It’s not my blood.”

Onew persistently grabbed her hand and gently dapped the towel over it. “You still need to clean it.”

Eunji yanked the towel from him and threw it across the room. “Stop thinking about the ing blood and tell me what the heck is going on.”

Onew gulped and lowered his gaze. “I’m sorry.”

Eunji scoffed. “Sorry? Is that all you can say?”

“I-I didn’t want things to go this way.” Onew’s voice broke.

“Just explain this to me!” Exploded Eunji, blood rising to her face.

“I-It wouldn’t matter,” Whispered Onew. “I can’t fix this mess.”

“Mess?” Eunji’s hand clenched into fists, a feeling of hurt cursed through her. “So everything that we did together was just a ‘mess’ to you?”

Onew shook his head, pain shining in his eyes. “Eunji-ah you know that I love you. B-But—”

Onew suddenly broke off and clenched his hands into fists.

“But what?” Burst Eunji, slamming her blood-stained hand against the wall.

“I-I can’t tell you.” Onew managed to choke out, tears welling up in his eyes.

Eunji’s hands shook uncontrollably, she tried—God knows she tried—to stay sane, but everything was just too much. Her chest hurt too much and if she didn’t do something—anything— she’d go crazy.

Without thinking, she punched the nearest thing to her. A mirror.

The mirror shattered—just like her heart—into a million tiny pieces; all of which scattered on the floor.

An odd sense of numbness filled Eunji as she stared at her bloody hand. It doesn’t hurt.

“EUNJI!” Onew eyes doubled in size and he told hold of Eunji’s bloody hand.

“The nurse,” he mumbled unintelligently. “We need to get you to the nurse.”

Eunji started at him blankly before shaking off his hand. “I don’t need your help.”

Onew’s panic-filled eyes locked with her dead ones. “I-I need to take you to the—”

“I FOUND IT!”

Jonghyun choose that precise moment to barge into the room wearing a white frilly dress.

“S-See? I told you Key dressed me up as a chick—HOLY CRAP WHAT HAPPENED?”

Jonghyun’s eyes darted back and forth between the shattered mirror and Eunji’s limp hand.

“, I’m too late, aren’t I?” He whispered softly.

“KIM JONGHYUN COME BACK HERE WITH—” Key’s word flattered as he walked into the room. “—that dress?”

Eunji choose that moment to shake off Onew’s hand and walk towards the door.

“D-Don’t go.” Whispered Onew, causing Eunji to freeze in her stance.

She let out a sigh. “You know what bothers me the most?”

Without waiting for him to answer, or turning around she answered. “The fact that I expected you to get on your knees and beg for my forgiveness.”

Tears welded up in Onew’s eyes and his lower lip trembled. “E-Eunji…”

“And you know what?” she whispered. “I would have forgiven you.”

Idiot. Eunji’s hands clenched into fists and she walked out the door.

Onew stared dazedly after her, a feeling of shock and confusion washing over him. W-What’s going on?

With quivering fingers, Onew raised his hand to his arm and pinched himself as hard as he could.

“AGH!” Onew let out a sharp hiss as the pain spread through his arm; confirming his greatest fear.

“H-Hyung?” Jonghyun took a couple of hesitant steps towards the older man, startled by his outburst.

“Jonghyun.” The raw pain in Onew’s voice made Jonghyun flinch.

“Y-Yes?”

Onew shook his head in denial, took a deep breath in and pinched himself again.

“Ah!” Onew winced and rubbed his now swollen arm.

“It’s not working,” he whispered, his lower lip trembling.

“What’s not working?” Jonghyun asked bewildered.

“I-I don’t know what to do.”

The heartbroken look on Onew’s face was too much for Jonghyun to bear.

“Oh hyung!” Jonghyun quickly went to the older man and wrapped his arms around him in a soothing embrace.

Onew’s shoulders shook uncontrollably and his teeth clacked together. “Jonghyun, why aren’t I waking up from this nightmare?”

Jonghyun hung his head in shame. I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you Hyung.

A single tear rolled down Onew's face.

Why?

 


This chapter took a lot out of me TT___TT I almost died while writing it.

-Miss-Sweetheart