Dazed

Swimming is Easy

“What should I do?” Youngbae asks, floating back and forth just outside Daesung’s door. He hesitated going in because he couldn’t see any sign of Daesung, and as it was already very late he assumed that Daesung was either asleep or had actually gone out to enjoy the beginning of the festival.

“Stop muttering to yourself and come inside.” Daesung says, appearing behind him and causing him to whip around in surprise. Daesung smiles brightly and moves forward, opening the door and gesturing for Youngbae to follow him.

Once Youngbae’s heart rate goes back to normal he follows after Daesung, stopping in the center of the room. He takes a deep breath in and waits in the comfortable silence as Daesung lights the small area.

“Did you go to the festival?” He asks, wanting to be polite even though he was dying to ask Daesung what he should do.

Daesung smiles and moves closer, pushing a small bowl of food at Youngbae. “I did. It was a lot more entertaining than I had imagined.” Youngbae relaxes slightly at Daesung’s tone, sincerely glad that his sometimes reclusive friend had had a good time.

“I’m glad. Did Seunghyun show you his shell animals? He was terribly pleased with himself for making them.” Youngbae says, more than willing to continue the conversation as it kept him calm.

Daesung smiles again, a light blush crossing his features. “Yes, he did.” He says softly, and Youngbae wants to laugh because Daesung’s reaction can only mean that Seunghyun was being overbearing or embarrassing.

“I wish I had been able to go around with you. Did you spend the whole time with Seunghyun?” Daesung nods and turns away, making Youngbae note that he needs to talk to Seunghyun about the way he acts around Daesung.

“But you didn’t show up here in the middle of the night to hear about my excursion into society.” Daesung says, his voice becoming stronger. Youngbae winces and looks away.

“I wish it was, I truly wish I had been there with you.”

“Was it that bad?” Daesung asks, turning back to Youngbae, his eyes wide; he had assumed that if it were bad, Youngbae would have come straight to the festival.

“No! No, it wasn’t bad!” Youngbae says, putting his hands up, “No, I just, I feel like a bad friend for not having been there when you went out like that.” Daesung shakes his head.

“Don’t, really.” Daesung says, a smile crossing his face. “You were brave enough to surface again, so I figured that I could be brave enough to simply go to a festival with people that I knew.” Daesung waves his hand in front of him, “But I want to hear what happened. Why are you so distressed?” Youngbae takes a deep breath and then shrugs.

“I don’t...know?” Daesung his head to the side, “It went perfectly. He was there; kind of like he was waiting for me...and we talked.” Daesung’s eyes widen in surprise and Youngbae nods vigorously, “Yes! I was hesitant at first, but I could speak, and I could understand him...” He looks down and Daesung moves closer.

“You could breathe?” Youngbae nods, “and you could speak...did you try getting fully out of the water?” Youngbae shakes his head.

“I was afraid...it just didn’t seem...it felt too quick.” Youngbae looks down for a second, wrestling with what to say. “I showed him my...my fin...underwater.” He looks back up once he finishes speaking, his hands fidgeting in front of him.

Daesung is shocked speechless for a couple of moments, before he shakes his head and smiles reassuringly at his friend. “Hmm, how did he react?” He asks, forcing his voice to sound as calm as possible.

“He didn’t really seem surprised...well, he said that he was...but he didn’t sound it.” Youngbae frowns, puzzled, “It was kind of odd. But he wants to see me again.”

Daesung nods, his expression serious. “I’m curious about his reaction...Did you get along?” It was kind of a silly question, Daesung knew, considering the fact that Youngbae had felt comfortable enough to reveal that he was a merman, but he wanted to know if Youngbae could voice his feelings on the matter.

“Yes...I mean we didn’t talk for long, or really about all that much, but...it was comfortable. Once we started talking, it was like I had known him my whole life. It was more a question of ‘how’ do I show him I’m a mermaid, rather than ‘when’ or ‘should I’.” He takes a deep breath, his face burning with embarrassment at saying it all out loud. Daesung smiles and relaxes.

“What’s he like?”

“Ahh,” Youngbae pauses, trying to get his thoughts together. “He’s kind of frail-looking at first, but he has this way about him that practically screams that you shouldn’t be fooled by your first impression. He can be gentle and kind, but he’s also rather...haughty?” Youngbae pauses for a moment, and Daesung tries to quell the amused smile trying to force its way onto his face. “He told me that he’s a prince. I think that the other man that was with him when I first saw him was a servant of some kind.” Youngbae looks mildly uncertain, and Daesung tilts his head to the side in question.

“Is that a bad thing?”

“I don’t know, I just...I’m not a royal...what if he doesn’t...” Youngbae can’t seem to find the right words to finish his thought so he just shakes his head and looks away.

“Ahh, you know...I don’t think it matters. I mean, you were in the ocean, he probably didn’t assume you were royalty.” Youngbae nods and then shakes his head to clear his thoughts.

“Yeah...it was so...perfect though.” Daesung laughs lightly as Youngbae’s face takes on a dreamy look. “But it was!” Daesung shakes his head, still laughing, and Youngbae scowls.

“I’m sorry, it’s just rather amusing. You never so much as look at anyone down here, and then you go up to the surface once and become obsessed with someone you could barely see.” Youngbae shoves him lightly, making him laugh again. Youngbae allows himself to smile lightly before suddenly stopping, a look of panic crossing his face.

“He wants me to go back. Tomorrow, in the afternoon.” Daesung tilts his head to the side and urges Youngbae to continue. “I don’t know. It will be so much easier to see me...”

“And? Do you want to continue talking to him? Maybe he wants to see you? You can see more of him than he can see of you.” Daesung says, shrugging. “And maybe you can try pulling yourself out of the water...see what happens...” Youngbae nods, his face pensieve.

“Yeah...yeah maybe I could...” Daesung laughs lightly and pats Youngbae on the back.

“Yes, you can. Now go, I need to sleep! All of this socializing is too much for me!” Youngbae laughs and hurries out of the house at Daesung’s urging.

“Goodnight!” He shouts, causing Daesung to just shake his head and shut the door.

Youngbae felt great; ecstatic, a little reckless, exhilarated, and happy. He felt so happy. He couldn’t wait for the next day, his previous nervousness all but gone.
~   ~

Jiyong stands in front of his father and mother, silently cursing Seungri and his ridiculous mind. The boy had alerted basically the entire castle to his nightly disappearances; raising a stink when there was absolutely no reason for him to cause so much unrest. Seungri is standing off to the side, wringing his hands and looking between Jiyong’s blank face and the vaguely serious set of the King’s face.

Jiyong had spent the last ten minutes explaining that all he wanted was some time practicing his rowing by himself. He had mentioned that having the servants with him at all times made it hard for him to do anything for himself, and he had thrown in something about hearing other servants muttering about him not being a manly enough Prince. His parents had sat quietly throughout the whole explanation, and Jiyong was praying that they weren’t as upset as Seungri had made them out to be.

“Well,” the King says, shifting in his seat and peaking a quick look at his wife before continuing. “I don’t see anything wrong with you going out rowing alone.” The Queen’s eyebrows rise slightly, and the king clears his throat, “Of course it would be best if you went out during the day; that cove has quite a few hidden rocks that your boat can get snagged on.” Jiyong bows slightly.

“Of course. That’s highly practical.” He says, letting his voice fall into a formal drawl; disinterested but obedient sounding.

His father smiles and nods, “Perfect! Now, off to bed!” Jiyong smiles and moves forward to give his mother a kiss goodnight, before turning and leaving their room.

Seungri hurriedly follows after him, bowing quickly to the King and Queen before rushing out the door to catch up. Jiyong ignores his muttered fussing continues down the hall and to his room.

“Goodnight, Seungri.” He says, trying to make it evident that he would prefer to be alone...again.

“Yes, sire. It’s quite a lovely night.” Jiyong rolls his eyes and continues into his room, “Don’t be mad, sire, I needed to let them know what you were doing! They were worried because you’ve been so tired and withdrawn this week.” Jiyong raises an eyebrow but doesn’t turn around, deciding to continue looking into his wardrobe instead. “And I couldn’t just let them worry!”

“How did you know where I was going?” Jiyong asks, turning to look at his reflection in the mirror; the angle made it possible for him to see Seungri nervously rearranging the place setting on the table under the window.

“Well, you weren’t exactly hiding it.” Jiyong raises an eyebrow and turns to look at Seungri, his arms crossed over his chest. “We-well, I mean, I live down in the group of houses by the gate...So I can see you leave while I’m getting ready for bed.”

Jiyong wants badly to say something smart and biting about Seungri’s lack of better things to do, but stops himself when he sees how fidgety and uncomfortable Seungri is acting. “What’s the matter?” Jiyong asks, the words coming out a little harsher than intended. Seungri flinches almost imperceptibly, but he recovers quickly, used to Jiyong’s sometimes biting tone.

“You’ve been odd, muttering in your sleep when I come in with your breakfast in the mornings...if you’re even here.” Jiyong looks down at the floor and then sighs.

“What have I been muttering?” Jiyong asks, trying not to sound too interested.

“Just nonsense about the cove and eyes and mystery men.” Seungri gains some of his boldness back and looks straight into Jiyong’s eyes. “I didn’t realize you liked men. It makes your lack of interest in the maids make more sense.”

Jiyong fights to control the blush that automatically springs to his cheeks. “What are you talking about? I don’t pay attention to the maids because they flirt with anything that moves.” Jiyong says, trying to cover his sudden embarrassment; he hadn’t been aware that he was so talkative in his sleep. Seungri grins, moving closer.

“You didn’t deny it though. Who is he?” Seungri looked excited, like this was the most interesting thing that had ever happened in his life.

“I, no one. There is no one.” Jiyong says, floundering a little before catching himself and forcing authority into his voice. “You shouldn’t be addressing me so informally.” Seungri barely contains his eye roll at Jiyong’s command.

“Yes, and you shouldn’t be rendezvuing with mysterious men in the middle of a cove at night.” Jiyong’s lip twitches involuntarily and he wonders briefly if he could get away with hitting Seungri.

“I don’t rendezvous with anyone.”

“You did tonight. I saw you talking to him when I came down.” Jiyong’s lip twitches again, and he hopes that it doesn’t become a normal thing because he’s certain it’s unattractive.

“Did you?”

“Yes, and he left rather quickly when I showed up. What’s he afraid of?”

“Probably you. So stop being so nosy.” Seungri smiles brightly, seeming to be so much more interested than previously. Jiyong scowls slightly and wishes he hadn’t said that.

“So there was someone!” Seungri claps excitedly and Jiyong’s scowl deepens. “I couldn’t be sure from where I was, but it looked like you were talking to somebody.” Jiyong sighs, he couldn’t believe that he had forgotten that there was almost no way that Seungri would have been able to actually see Youngbae in the water as it had been rather dark when he arrived.

“Yes, yes, I was.” Jiyong says, trying to sound nonchalant. “He left when you arrived.”

“You were kind of dazed when you came back in. Did he swim away? Where did he go? Where is he from?” Jiyong’s lip twitches again, and he moves over to the small couch at the end of his bed and sits down.

“He swam away. I was not dazed. I don’t even know why you would think that.” Seungri had moved closer and he raises an eyebrow at Jiyong’s flippant answer.

“Maybe because you were staring off into space and had your hand up to your cheek the entire walk back to the castle.” Jiyong scowls again and Seungri fights the urge to smile.

“Whatever. Leave me so that I can sleep. I will need my energy as I intend to spend most of the day out.” He pauses and sees Seungri nod, looking as though he was trying to mentally prepare for the next day. “Alone. I expect my breakfast early as usual. Please make sure to be quiet.”

Seungri smiles, almost mischievously, and bows with a murmured ‘yes sire’. Once Seungri leaves, Jiyong lets out a deep sigh and ruffles his hair.

“Alright, now to sleep...” He mutters to himself before getting up and getting ready.