Forever?

Swimming is Easy

“Alright.” Daesung says, his voice clear and honest. Youngbae just looks at him for a moment before turning to Seunghyun to gauge his reaction.

“Ahh...” Seunghyun says, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. “I don’t...” He lets out a harsh breath, bubbles billowing out around his head. “I wish that he could come down here. But since he can’t, all I can say is...just, you have to visit us.” Daesung puts his hand on Seunghyun’s shoulder, silently willing the blue-haired man not to get too emotional.

“Oh, Seunghyun. I could never forget about either of you. We can meet in the cove...” Youngbae says, trying not to think about this conversation as the goodbye that it probably was.

“Youngbae, I just want to warn you that though I agree with this and think that you most definitely should do it, we need to remember some of the old stories and myths.” Daesung says, moving in front of Seunghyun so that Youngbae is forced to pay close attention to him. “Even though you can look like a human, your fin can still appear in the water...You will crave the ocean, and crave swimming. I don’t want you to forget that, because it could make you rethink your decision to stay.”

Youngbae nods, but Seunghyun, unhappy about both being pushed behind Daesung and about his best friend leaving, shakes his head and pushes his way into view. “Why would he rethink his decision because of that, that would be stupid.”

Daesung smiles and pats him on the arm. “He might be antsy and craving something. He might feel unhappy and discontent. The problem is that he would be feeling those things because he misses the ocean, but he might think that it’s because of Jiyong, just because that is who he’s around.” Daesung turns back to Youngbae. “Just visit the ocean often. It’s a part of you. We will come visit you, you know that.”

Seunghyun nods, still frowning. "Have you told your brother?" he asks, and Youngbae makes a face.

"I don't know how to tell him." he says, closing his eyes and letting out a sigh. "He wouldn't understand if I told him that I wanted to spend the rest of my life out of the water with a human..." he sighs again, shaking his head.

"I'll come with you." Seunghyun says quietly. "You can't just disappear without telling your brother where you've gone...he'll understand he has to...he's your brother." Youngbae smiles appreciatively at his friend and nods, unable to think of anything to say.

"Then, in the morning, we will come wih you to the cove and, and say...say goodbye." Daesung says, his voice trailing off at the end. Youngbae nods, trying his hardest not to break down.

Talking with his brother was easier than he had imagined it would be.

"I always knew you wouldn't stay here." He said quietly, though there was a smile on his face. "I really wish you had told me sooner though, you know? So that I would have time to prepare for you leaving forever..."

Youngbae almost broke down, "It's everything I want and need." He whispers, and Hyunbae smiles a little more brightly and pulls Youngbae into a hug.

"I wouldn't be a good older brother if I tried to keep you from something that you needed, no would I?” He asks with a laugh. “Besides, if that week of moping was anything to go by, no one down here would be able to handle you after a short while.” Youngbae laughs into his brother’s shoulder before pulling himself away and shaking his head.

“You can still visit me...” He says, kind of unsure.

“And watch my younger brother get old and die before me? You know they die younger on land because they dry out, don’t you?” Hyunbae asks, the light laugh in his voice betraying his joke.

“Aish! Stop it!” Youngbae says, laughing. “Come visit me. Promise.” He says, and his brother shakes his head.

“I’ll come tomorrow to see this human that’s got you all up in knots, but if I visit you it will be a surprise.” He says, a small and sad smile on his face.

Youngbae sighs, but nods his head; it was the best he would get out of his brother, and he knew that. “Tomorrow morning.” He says, and Hyunbae nods.
~
“What would you say, mother, if I brought home a man tomorrow?” Jiyong asks as he and his mother, along with her attendants, went for a walk around the castle.

“I would ask for his name.” She says, lifting her skirts with her free hand as she steps around a fallen branch.

“Ahh, and if I told you his name; what then would you say?” Jiyong asks, fighting to stay nonchalant and keep the smile from his face.

She sighs, “When you tell me his name.” She says, and Jiyong allows himself to smile at her tone. “I will ask you where you expect him to stay.”

“I will tell you not to worry about that.”

“And so I will undoubtedly worry about it.” She stops and gestures for her attendants to leave them for a moment before she turns to Jiyong and places a hand on his cheek. “I worry about you, you know.” She says, and he looks down, trying to avoid her gaze. “All I want is for you to be happy. Is this a rebellion? Do you not like the court girls?” He raises his gaze and levels a look at her.

“Do you like the court girls, mother?” She lets out a sigh and he shakes his head. “You know I have never liked them, you also knew this would happen.” She stares at him for a moment and Jiyong gives her a pleading look. “You will love him.” He says.

She shakes her head, a small smile forming on her lips as she pats him on the cheek one last time. “Not near as much as you do.” She sighs and drops her hand to his, squeezing it lightly and looking ahead again; her voice adopting a rather business-like tone. “From what Seungri has told me, he’s a bit shorter than you; We shall have to stop by the tailor’s so that you can tell him how broad his shoulders are...Seungri is terrible with measurements.” She says, dragging Jiyong along with her.

He smiles brightly and keeps pace with her; he just loved going to the tailor’s to have clothing made.
~
Jiyong had never had a worse night’s sleep in his life. He gave up trying to fall asleep at around two in the morning and instead spent about an hour going through his closet and reorganizing everything - a rather mean feat that he hadn’t anticipated to be so difficult-before falling asleep on a pile of pants that he had been unable to decide whether he wanted to keep or not. Seungri found him lying there, in what looked to be a terribly uncomfortable position, at 5:30 when he came in to drop off breakfast.

Seungri allowed a pitying chuckle to escape his mouth before he made his way over to start picking up the mess. There were clothes everywhere and while Seungri was uncertain why they were separated into piles, or even why they were out of their proper places anyway, he knew that he would need to pick them up. He decides to wait as long as possible to wake the Prince up as who knew how terribly irritable the man would be this morning. When he tripped over a riding boot and only just barely caught himself less than fifteen minutes later, he decided that it was time to wake the Prince up and deal with the consequences.

“Sire...Sire I know it’s early but you must be uncomfortable.” Seungri whispers, squatting down in front of the sleeping man.

Jiyong groans and rolls onto his side. “Go away.” He mutters on a growl.

“No.” Seungri says, rolling his eyes and moving closer to grab a pair of old riding pants from under the Prince’s head.

Jiyong curls tighter into himself and squeezes his eyes shut. “Just a little longer.” He whines, and Seungri tilts his head so that he can see Jiyong’s face better.

“At least move onto the bed, it will be more comfortable.” He says, noting how tired Jiyong looked, even with his eyes still closed.

Jiyong grumbles some more but slowly sits up, his hair sticking to the side of his face, and opens his eyes just a little. “Time is it?” He asks in a barely audible mumble.

“Ahh, almost 6:00 by now I think.” Seungri says, gathering up the rest of the pile that Jiyong had been lying on and standing up. “Care to explain why your clothes were all over your room?” He asks as Jiyong slowly stands and hobbles over to the bed.

Jiyong had just grasped the bedpost when he stopped, his eyes widening in shock. “Oh God it’s today.” He says.

Seungri nods distractedly, “yes, yes it is.” He says as he carefully refolds the pile of clothing he’d collected from the floor.

He wasn’t expecting Jiyong’s reaction and so fell back with a startled yelp of surprise when the Prince rounded on him. “How can you be so calm?” He roars, and Seungri stares up at him in confusion. “Run me a bath!” He orders before turning toward the table and his breakfast. “I must look absolutely awful.” He mutters, pulling the lid off of the tray to survey the food.

“It will be ready for you in 30 minutes, as usual...” Seungri says, confused, before it dawns on him. “Ahh, Sire. Don’t worry about it. I’m sure he will decide to stay.” He says, leaving the pile of clothes and moving closer to try and comfort Jiyong.

Jiyong freezes, “I don’t want to talk about it.” He says softly, and Seungri nods, backing away slowly.

“Ah, yes Sire, I shall see if I can speed up the progress on your bath...” He hesitates for another moment, biting his lip and looking around him, “Is there anything else I should do? Prepare the adjacent chamber for his stay? Clean yours?” he asks, and Jiyong manages to crack a small smile, his eyes still facing the windows.

“I suppose my chambers should be cleaned...Mother has plans for what to do, so don’t worry about other chambers.” Jiyong says, before taking a fortifying breath and moving to take a seat. “Don’t worry about rushing the bath, I will wait.” he says, and Seungri nods.

“Yes Sire,” he says, bowing and backing out of the room. He allows himself to smile as he shuts the door to the Prince’s room, before it falls into a sharp scowl; life would be terribly difficult for everyone in the castle if Youngbae didn’t agree to move into the castle. Though Seungri couldn’t fathom why he wouldn’t agree, there was obviously a very good reason otherwise the Prince wouldn’t be so worried about his answer.
Jiyong took a comforting bath and dressed as quickly as he could manage (it only took him three tries before he finally left the castle without considering going back to change). He was on the road and outside the castle gates before Seungri caught up to him, panting and carrying a basket.

“Sire! A basket of snacks...” He says as Jiyong slows down to a stop.

“Oh.” Jiyong says, wondering why he hadn’t even thought of that. He holds out his hands but Seungri shakes his head.

“No.” He says, starting to walk down the path ahead of Jiyong. “You told me it was too heavy last time, so I will carry it this time.” Jiyong slowly starts to follow, and Seungri silently congratulates himself on his small victory; he wanted to be there for the Prince, just in case.

Jiyong patiently accepts his pushy servant’s company. He would never say it out loud, but he seriously appreciated the the not-so-subtle push to comfort him. He was more than nervous to be down at the cove today as the way he saw it, and the way it had seemed after they parted ways yesterday, if Youngbae didn’t commit to staying with him then there was no guarantee he would ever see him again. It was stupid to think that way, but Jiyong knew that it would almost hurt more, and be worse for him in the long run if he were still able to see Youngbae but with the knowledge that the merman had not chosen to stay with him.

Jiyong lets out an almost audible sigh and stops at the top of the path that lead down into the cove; he wasn’t sure he was ready. Seungri stops just a little farther down and turns to look back up at him. “Sire, you won’t find out if you don’t go.” he says, and Jiyong nods before taking another deep breath and starting on his way again.
~
“So wait.” Hyunbae says for what was probably the fourth time that morning. They were floating just below the surface in front of the dock as Hyunbae was a little more than uncomfortable. “If I surface...I will be able to breathe and see...and speak?” He asks. Daesung, Seunghyun and Youngbae all nod. “And you can get out of the water...and you have...legs.” He says, and Youngbae nods.

“Come on, I wanted to beat him here today, let’s go.” Hyunbae just looks at him blankly so Seunghyun grabs him by the arm.

“Let’s go.” He says and starts swimming toward the surface, pulling Hyunbae along with him. Youngbae smiles lightly at his friend before darting to the surface.

Once he is able to see clearly, he pulls himself up onto the dock, only to remember that he didn’t have any clothes and that always made Jiyong uncomfortable. He was lost in thought when he heard a gasp from the water and returned his gaze there. His brother, head above the water and floating just in front of the dock, had his eyes and mouth wide open in shock.

“I didn’t believe you, but oh wow.” He says, moving forward and touching Youngbae’s damp foot. “Ahh it feels weird!” He says on a laugh and everyone laughs with him. They are silent for a moment as they wait and then Daesung points out behind Youngbae.

“Oh look! It’s Jiyong, with some other human.” He says, sounding thoroughly delighted. Youngbae laughs but notices that Seunghyun just scowls at the excited sound in Daesung’s voice.

Youngbae turns his head to look and sure enough he sees Jiyong walking alongside Seungri, who was carrying a basket. “It’s Seungri, his servant.” He says, and Hyunbae tilts his head to the side.

“Royal?” He asks, and Youngbae nods. “Hmm.”

“Youngbae!” Seungri calls out happily, making Jiyong scowl and push him slightly.

Youngbae smiles back at them and watches as the two get closer. He notices that Jiyong’s face is set in a guardedly neutral expression, and he looks tired. Seungri hurries forward when they get close enough and puts the basket on the ground, pulling out a pair of pants and handing them to Youngbae. Youngbae smiles and accepts them, quickly pulling them on and gesturing for them to sit down. Jiyong sits down directly next to him on the opposite side from Seungri and musters up a small smile for Daesung and Seunghyun who he notices in the water.

“Alright, which one of you is my brother leaving the ocean for?” Hyunbae says suddenly, clearly impatient to get on with the meeting. Jiyong simply turns his head in Hyunbae’s direction, while Seungri jumps and spins to face the three men in the water, alarm written on his face. “I’m going to assume it isn’t you, then.” Hyunbae says, a teasing smile lighting across his features.

“No, that’s Seungri,” Jiyong says, leaning over Youngbae so that he was closer to Hyunbae, his entire demeanor suddenly much lighter than previously. “I’m Jiyong, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” He says, his voice dripping charm and a warm smile on his face.

The two shake hands and Hyunbae smiles. “Hyunbae.” He says, staring Jiyong down for a short moment. “I think you’ll do.” He says, and Jiyong smirks.

“I sure hope so,” he whispers as he sits back. Youngbae hears him and smiles softly, his eyes following Jiyong’s movements.

“Wait. Wait.” Seungri says, his hands out in front of him and his legs pulled up and away from the edge of the dock. Everyone turns to look at him and swallows hard. “You told me he lived over there.” He says, pointing vaguely in the direction of a small island way off in the distance.

“No, I told you he was from the ocean, you just assumed that I meant something else.” Jiyong says.

“Who are...wait.” Seungri says, and Daesung smiles brightly, moving past Hyunbae to lean on the dock in front of Seungri.

“You’re so delightfully shocked!” Daesung says, and Hyunbae rolls his eyes while the other three laugh.

“What he meant to say was ‘hi, I’m Daesung.’” Seunghyun says dryly, moving up to the dock as well. “Sometimes he forgets to start with that. I’m Seunghyun. We’re friends of Youngbae’s.” Seungri just nods and Daesung’s face falls into a slight pout.

“What did I say wrong?” He asks, and Seunghyun just shakes his head, pulling Daesung away from the edge of the dock as he does so.

“And you’re Youngbae’s brother...but you are all in the water...and Youngbae never has pants...”

“Or a shirt.” Jiyong says dryly, picking up Youngbae’s hand to inspect his fingers.

“Right..and you’re from the...from the ocean...?” Seungri asks, looking around him for help.

“We have fins, too!” Daesung says, flipping his fin slowly up in front of him, holding onto Seunghyun for support. Seungri’s eyes open even wider and he grabs Youngbae by the arm.

“But you don’t have...you have feet!” He says.

“A hard won battle, I assure you.” Seunghyun says, tilting his head to the side and raising an eyebrow. “Are you stupid or just shocked?” He asks, and Jiyong and Hyunbae both seem to be choking on their laughter.

“Shh, that’s not nice Seunghyun.” Youngbae says, patting Seungri on the back. “He didn’t know, and this is quite a lot for him to take in. You gonna be ok?” He asks, turning his attention on Seungri. Seungri in a deep breath and nods, visibly calming himself down.

“So, Youngbae told us that you had a question to ask.” Daesung says, and Jiyong sits up straighter and tilts his head to the side, urging Daesung to continue. “One that he was going to give you a final answer on today...what was it?” Daesung asks, and Jiyong knows that they all know the question, but he plays along anyway.

“Well, he said that if I asked him to stay with me forever, he would give me his final answer today.” Jiyong says, and Daesung nods.

“Well, it looks like we need an answer.” Hyunbae says, arching a brow and nodding toward Youngbae.

“Ahh, yeah.” Youngbae says, a smile on his face. “I’m ready to stay with you forever, if you’re ready to keep me.” he says, and Jiyong doesn’t even try to hold himself back.

The second the words register in Jiyong’s mind he throws his arms around Youngbae’s neck and pulls him in for a short kiss. When he pulls back he smiles at Youngbae, “Good, because my mother has already ordered you clothing.” He says, and Youngbae laughs.

“You almost got your own horse too, but the lead riding instructor said that you could have Jiyong’s, as he’s no good at riding anyway.” Seungri says, and Youngbae laughs. They talk for a short while, giving everyone the chance to get to know each other, before Hyunbae releases a deep sigh and shakes his head.

“We’ve got to get back.” He says, a frown tugging at his mouth. “Kelp harvesting starts this afternoon.” He adds, causing Seunghyun to grimace.

“I hate kelp harvesting.” He says, and Daesung pats him on the arm.

Hyunbae reaches forward to shake Jiyong’s hand. “Take good care of him, will you?” He asks, and Jiyong nods.

Jiyong sits back and Daesung smiles up at him. “Can I have a hug? I’m feeling sad about his departure.” Daesung says, and Jiyong smiles and leans forward to comply, only to be pulled into the water by Daesung’s strong arms.

He was shocked, to say the least, though he supposed that he should have expected it. Daesung held him in a tight embrace for a couple of seconds before Seunghyun tapped him on the shoulder and pulled Jiyong to him. “I’m glad Youngbae found you.” Seunghyun says softly, “You make him so happy, thank you.” He adds, and Jiyong wraps his arms around Seunghyun’s neck and gives him a tight squeeze before letting go and allowing Youngbae to pull him up out of the water.

“What’s got you so worried, Seungri?” Hyunbae asks, noting that Seungri had gone as white as a sheet when Jiyong had been dragged into the water.

Seungri slowly looks over at him, peeling his eyes away from Youngbae fussing over a very wet Jiyong. “The Prince doesn’t enjoy his clothes getting wet.” He says, making Hyunbae laugh.

“Somehow I think he’s going to be OK with it.” he says. “Alright, Youngbae.” Hyunbae says loudly, and Daesung and Seunghyun back up to be level with him. “I’ll be back to check up on you in a week’s time.” Youngbae nods and then the three mermen wave.

“See you soon!” Daesung says.

“Remember! I want a fork!” Seunghyun says, causing Jiyong to laugh and Hyunbae to shake his head.

“And you were embarrassed by Daesung earlier?” he asks, still shaking his head.

With one last goodbye the three mermen dip below the surface, disappearing from view as they swim away. It’s silent on the dock for a moment as Youngbae watches the point where they had disappeared and Jiyong and Seungri watch him. Jiyong bites his lip, a look of concern on his face. He turns so that he is facing Youngbae’s side and pushes his hand through the wall of braids that surrounded Youngbae’s neck, allowing his fingers to catch on the shells.

“Are you going to be OK?” He asks softly, and Youngbae is quiet for a couple of moments.

“Yeah.” He says softly, turning his head to look at Jiyong, a soft smile on his face. “I’ll be fine.” Jiyong smiles brightly, that smile that smile that is all gums and teeth and basically closed eyes, and Youngbae can’t help but to return it.

“Are you two going to smile at each other for the rest of the day or...?” Seungri asks from his spot on the dock on the other side of Youngbae. Youngbae laughs and Jiyong manages not to scowl at the interruption, especially since Youngbae leans forward and plants a swift kiss on his cheek.

“What would you prefer that we did?” Jiyong asks as Youngbae stands up so that he can see both men at once.

“You’ll have plenty of time to look at each other...but shouldn’t we show him the castle and have him meet the King and Queen, and the cooks prepared this snack....” Seungri says, and Youngbae smiles before sitting back down to better wrap an arm around Seungri’s shoulders.

“I love snacks.” He says, and Jiyong laughs.

“Alright, snacks first, then the over-eager Seungri can run along and alert the proper people to our imminent arrival...” Seungri smiles and nods, though the nodding was difficult as Youngbae’s arm was making it hard for him to do so properly.

Youngbae would wait until they were alone, much later in the day, to tell Jiyong just how scared he really was. He was so far removed from his own home, from the only life he had ever known, and he was happier than he had ever felt; but more terrified than he had ever been. Jiyong’s lips just twitch up into a small smile as he brushes his hand over Youngbae’s hair.

“My heart would break, and I would never properly survive, if you went back.” He says softly, and Youngbae takes in a deep breath, waiting for Jiyong to finish. “But I would let you, because I love you too much to see you hurt. I would do anything for you, and I will do anything for you.” Jiyong says, keeping his eyes down.

Youngbae smiles and reaches forward, grabbing Jiyong’s chin and tilting it so that their eyes meet. “I would never leave you. I just want you to know...I’m scared...I need you.” He says, and Jiyong grins.

“Don’t say things you’ll regret later.” He murmurs, “I may just use those words against you.”

“I hope so.” Youngbae says, before leaning in and capturing Jiyong’s lips with his own. Jiyong grins into the kiss and pushes Youngbae back before breaking the kiss to move so that he was sitting on top of Youngbae and their foreheads were pressed together.

“I’d suggest moving to the bed,” He whispers, his eyes closed, “But I’ve decided that I need you here first.” He grins again and presses a soft kiss to Youngbae’s lips before moving to his chin and neck.

No, Youngbae had nothing to fear with Jiyong there to be with him. His fear was short-lived, and it was replaced with a confidence that was only bolstered by his new-found love of the people he now saw on a daily basis. Jiyong was his number one, of course, and he never forgot about his home; trips to the ocean were an almost daily occurrence.

Happiness like theirs is legendary; love like theirs is worthy of every type of envy.