You're the best thing that's ever been mine.

Till The World Ends

 

---

You and I should get away for a while.

I just wanna be alone with your smile.

---

 

It’s during the finale of SMTown Live World Tour III in Seoul that Kyuhyun wishes to run away. It isn’t that he’s sick of the dazzling stage nor is it because he can no longer tolerate some of his crazy fans. He wants to get away from the blinding spotlight, just for now. It simply strikes him like a bolt of lightning. He has to to escape. With her.

 

And it’s now.

Or never.

 

He grabs her hand. She stands behind the crowd of SM family on the stage, and gasps at his sudden movement. “What on-”

“Why don’t we run away? He suggests sincerely with his beaming eyes.

She glares at him in disbelief and thinks he’s either pulling a mindless prank on her (remember he’s the evil maknae?) or he’s simply out of his mind. 

“Wha-” She utters.

“Let’s just go.” He pulls her hands gently yet firmly. 

“Excuse me, we’re celebrities and there will be paparazzi-” She states softly but before she can complete her sentence, her protest is rudely interrupted by him.

“I don’t care anymore.” Those are none of his worries now. 

“Cho Kyuhyun!” She yells, hoping to snap him back to reality. 

“This may be our last chance, Yoona.” He tells her stubbornly.

Just as she’s about to say how absurd this is, and that the excessive gaming must have turn him crazy, Kyuhyun takes her wrist and drags her off the stage secretly without anyone’s notice. She doesn’t resist anymore because when she looks into his eyes, she can only find a unwavering gaze. It’s not a joke; he’s being dead serious. His expressive deep eyes speak the words from his mouth.

 

Let’s not leave regrets in our lives.

Before it’s too late.  

 

 

Without a disguise, they can be easily recognized but Kyuhyun couldn’t care less. They’ve to hurry if they’re escaping, and they’re lucky that the hotel is just right beside the performing theatre. Grabbing a large luggage (which seems to belong to either Leetuek or Eunhyuk) packed sloppily with all the basic necessities such as clothes and toothbrushes in the hotel room and not forgetting the keys of his manager’s car, they run away while leaving everyone behind. They’re leaving the whole world behind. 

Yes, just like that.

“Where are we going?” Yoona asks though the question seems a little too late to pose. She’s already sitting inside the car while Kyuhyun is starting the engine. Before he replies her, the engine starts and it's almost too late for her to regret or back out now.

“Somewhere,” he puzzles her with an ambiguous answer. “Or maybe just nowhere.”

Yoona rants at him during the first half an hour and warns him of all the consequences of their reckless actions. She tells him the reasons that why they shouldn’t be doing this but as Kyuhyun speeds up towards the driveway, she rolls the car’s window down and keeps quiet, enjoying the cool breeze against her face. Her long chestnut-brown hair flew in the air gracefully and Kyuhyun can’t help but steal a few glances at the goddess beside him.

She’s beautiful.

“What are you looking at?” She asks, staring at him with her large doe-like eyes. “Something’s on my face, isn’t it?”

He nods, reaching out to touch her silky long hair, and she smiles at him.

“I guess dirt landed on my hair.” She remarks casually.

He chuckles lightly.

In fact, there wasn’t anything on her hair.

Only Kyuhyun knows.

It begins to rain heavily during the ride and Yoona, who’s half-asleep wakes up to rub her eyes wearily. She's horrified to find herself drenched from the rain that came in through the window (which she has completely forgotten to row it up before she dozes off). Though she rants and exaggerates about her getting soaking wet and blames Kyuhyun for not helping her to roll up the car’s window when she’s sound asleep, she still chuckles (famous alligator-like laughter which she's famous for) loudly and enjoys herself in the shower rain like a ‘choding’ as he continues driving silently. She thinks it’s not something an idol who’s protected twenty-four hours will often get to experience and unexpectedly, she finds it refreshing. Somehow, he knows.

Yoona likes the rain.

Kyuhyun likes her alligator-like laughter.

 

 

"I think," Kyuhyun clears his throat and hesitantly voices out a few hours into their ‘runaway’ journey, “We’re running out of petrol.”

“You mean, we’ve to get out and push the car?” Yoona widens her eyes immediately and stares at him in disbelief.

“That is, if we don’t manage to find a gas station.” He points out as a matter-of-fact. She whines and grumbles at him. Though he thinks it’s somewhat cute, he can’t help but at the same time.

(Boys will always be boys.)

“How can you be afraid of pushing the car? Aren’t you the almighty ‘Him Yoona’?” He pokes fun at her almost-too-famous nickname. Then she displays her well-known strength that earns her that nickname by giving a smack across his arm and almost instantly, the annoying man groans in pain. She chuckles to herself amusingly.

It’s one and a half hour later when the car crosses the borders that Yoona points at something with a big advertising sign. "It looks like a gas station for me," she says, so Kyuhyun speeds up towards it because at this rate, they might really have to get out and push their own car.

Apparently, the high school boy who seems to be working part-time at the petrol station recognizes the two of them. He stares in awe when Super Junior’s Kyuhyun walks out of the car and literally faints (almost) when Yoona pulls down the car’s window to wave and smile at him. Turns out he’s really a huge fan of Girls Generation. Before they leave, the idols give him their autographs (like a bribery) and Yoona tells him ‘it’s a secret between only the three of them’ softly.

He swears he will carry their ‘runaway’ down to his graveyard. 

Though at the back of his mind, he tells himself that he has to text all of his friends - ‘Super Junior’s Kyuhyun is dating Girls Generation’s Yoona!’ right away.

 

“Hey Yoona,” Kyuhyun calls and Yoona, who’s busy munching on the titbits (given free from the mesmerised high school boy), turns to look at him with a mischievous glint in her eyes. “Do you think we-”

She forces one big piece of mandarin orange (because she finishes the titbits) into his mouth and his face scrunches up immediately.

“That’s sour!” He yells at her while his eyes are still fixed on the road in front.

She laughs at his amusing face, entertained by herself.

“What were you saying just now?” She asks.

“I was saying, do you think ...” he pauses for a moment before shrugging at her, “I guess I forgot.”

Yoona snorts, “Pabo.”

And she continues munching on the snacks, while enjoying the cool breeze.

Of course we make a good pair. 

“And you’re a Pabo too.”

 

 

Approximately four or five hours into their 'runaway', their phones start to ring. They know that the callers, who are probably their members or managers, are looking for them frantically, but neither of them brings it up nor picks up their phone.

Yoona giggles after reading her members' message. Yuri rants at her for not bringing her along, Jessica reminds her to include them for the next runaway trip, Sooyoung demands her to bring back souvenirs, and Taeyeon simply tells her that safety, not having fun is the utmost priority.

On the other hand, unlike Yoona's members, Kyuhyun's hyungs are far more intimidating. Donghae reminds him to take good care of Yoona, Leetuek threatens him to come back right this instant or else he's getting it, and Shindong warns him that Leetuek is fuming mad because he has taken his favourite leopard-prints luggage.

"Will we get into deep trouble?" She turns to look at him, her face plastered with a worried expression.

"No," he replies casually, "We have no schedules this week, unless you've any that I'm not aware of."

Kyuhyun re-assures her that everything will be all right, and Yoona ponders over his words for a moment before breaking out into an overjoyed grin soon after. 

Kyuhyun switches his phone off nonchalantly after replying to their messages with three lines of laughter (obviously trolling his hyungs) in each texts. Yoona chuckles with him and takes out Leetuek's Gucci sunglasses (an essential item for his airport fashion) from his luggage bag before posing chicly for a picture, and forwarding it to him.

As they imagine Leetuek's cross face while storming his feet in their minds, their faces contorted into that of worry and uneasiness. But soon after, they can't help but burst out laughing together.

That's what happen when an elementary choding is together with an evil maknae.

Fearless.

Musketeers.

 

 

Somehow, Kyuhyun has been driving for hours and they find themselves in the middle of nowhere. 

"Are we lost?" She speaks up, breaking the peaceful serenity. 

He looks around for road directions, and realizes they don't know the road. He nods his head at her, and from the corner of his eyes, he can see Yoona's uneasy face with her brows tightly knitted together. She's scared.

With one hand on the steering wheel, he presses his free hand firmly against hers. The momentary silence seems to put her at ease as his gentle warmth envelopes her hand.

A smile graces her lips.

"We'll be all right," he assures her.

"Look," she sits up abruptly and yells in anticipation as she points at the scenery in front of them, "It's beautiful!" 

Kyuhyun turns his head towards her direction, setting his gaze at the same breath-taking scenery. He steps on the brake, and they open the doors of the car to step outside. He can't help but smile at the awe-struck waterfall in front of them, and at her.

The calming wind blows gently against them, whispering words of tranquillity  With his slightly-tanned skin bathes in the sunlight, he takes a deep breath of the air and he finds it fresher than the air he has ever breathed.

Perhaps it's because they are somewhere in the nature.

Or simply because he's with her now.

The sky got darker as it stretched from one end to the other. A warm lavender and yellowish-orange glow envelop the west sky. The golden sunlight is slowly swallowed up by the land as the last traces of light dip over the hill. 

Silence shrouds the two. He turns to look at her under the under the rays of sun, right across the horizon they're headed for, bright and yellow and kind of orange and, just, breath-taking.

Their gazes meet.

His fingers slowly find their way to hers and while time almost stand still for a moment, he brushes his lips against her soft lips. The kiss is warm, she thinks. Her beautiful doe-like eyes flutters and ignoring her loud beating heart, she responds back. She can feel him smiling, making her smile as well. His lips taste like mint, and slowly, she pulls away.

"Mine," he tells her, "You're the best thing that's ever been mine."

 

They both know that the world isn't ending.

It's too early, Kyuhyun muses.