i

Stacking Clothes

 

It was early morning when my eyes suddenly opened themselves upon hearing strange sounds. My upper eyelids broke some space in between the lower ones as I saw a figure creeping out of the doorway. I was so sure it was him; he was sleeping beside me last night and he even forgot his antics by the night table.

As I realized it was a Wednesday, I nodded to myself that Baro has morning rehearsals with his group at that particular day of the month. He didn’t wake me up, maybe I was sleeping really sound or I was snoring myself he couldn’t just break my rest. It was weird.

Moments after, he quietly entered our room and passed by the bed to get some clothes for himself. Only a towel covered his half- body as pulled some ironed clothes from the garments I personally stacked up last Sunday. He carefully wore his sweater and light-washed pants, not wanting to make any unnecessary noise. I sneakily peeped at him by sheets of blanket all over my frail frame. He stopped for a moment and I felt his body beside mine again.

I immediately closed my eyes as he pulled the sheets off down to my waist. He tucked my messy hair by the side as he kissed my temple. I remained on my position till I heard some creaking thuds of our front door. I then made a clumsy remark as I left the bedroom all messed up and cluttered.

My feet dragged me off to the shower room, where I smelled the scent Baro’s shampoo. It was strong yet gentle to my nostrils. I washed off the morning oil on the tip of my nose and did the rest of my morning routine inside.

Downstairs, I walked straight to the dining room where I saw an empty plate and the breakfast Baro made for me. Since I am still learning the basics, Baro and I had a deal that he’ll cook, I’ll do some chores. One of it is stacking his clothes to the closet. I happily opened the plastic tupperware as I shove my favorite kimchi in my mouth. My stomach was grumbling in satisfaction, even letting go a loud burp.

After a hearty meal, I took myself to the living room and tried to watch some sitcoms and cool anime, I was an avid fan of them. I like everything about sketching and colors and movement. That’s why I took up fine arts when I was in college.

I graduated and am now working as an independent artist together with some of my friends. Sometimes, we hold open exhibits. Open exhibits are scary, to be quite honest. It’s also hard to sell paintings. Though I, myself, don’t really want my works to be sold, that is my only source of income.

Baro and I started living together a few months before. Expenses are paid by both of us. He wanted to pay all of it but I insisted on taking the other half since I told him I am an independent woman.

--

I walked past the living room to the stairs when my eyes caught the sight of the numerical figures in the wall. My feet slowly walked to it, checking the date today.

August 22. Exactly two weeks before Baro’s birthday.

 

 

Two weeks.

 

 

Only two weeks was left.

 

 

My heart started to beat fast as I suddenly remembered that it was only a few more days before he turns a year older. I cursed myself for almost forgetting my boyfriend’s birthday.

Cocking my head from side to side, my mind thought of some eccentric gifts that I could have for him. I can’t give him mugs, key chains and what not since they are too mainstream. My tongue clicked when an idea popped into my head.

Why not take advantage of my skills? I giddily smiled as I ran quickly to my drawing room. I don’t know what to paint yet but what matters is that I already have a gift for him.

--

The natural light entered from the glass pane almost beside the wooden stool I was sitting. The auburn rays of the sun slowly touched my tan skin, warming it gradually. I lazily stood up to adjust the curtain sheets, covering a part of the window to lessen the light reflecting through it.

The room was now darker, well, in my eyes. Concentrating on the white canvas held by the easel, I started to take my materials out; pencils, brushes, and paint tubes, as I thought of images that could describe Baro…

My crooked teeth started to make sound as I attempted to touch the hollow opus by my brush that was dipped into an olive shade color. My right hand continued to dance its way, in every possible corner of the spaces. The paint tubes were almost emptied by the time I finished this painting of him. I sat there, waiting for the colors to dry off.

It was him holding a bouquet of roses, with a smile plastered to his cute, bunny face. Alongside were his friends; CNU, Jinyoung, Sandeul and Chansik, happily grinning with the cute gesture of their friend.

I sighed in satisfaction that this can make Baro smile. My hands took up a piece of cloth and covered the portrait carefully.

--

Days passed and I was really getting excited for September to come. The –ber months are coming and it means that; SNOW IS COMING. Well, I literally the cool breeze of Fall and of course, the chilly embrace of Winter.

“Rin…” His voice uttered in my neck, startling me as we cuddled by the sofa while watching the news. I was leaning on his hard chest, feeling his heart beat slowly.

“Yes?” I asked without looking at him… I was too occupied with the accidents that are rampant recently.

That irritated him. He tried to distract me, even cupping my little face, but I didn’t budge. I heard him groan and all of the sudden, he lightly pushed my body away from him and went straight outside.

“What the hell?” I muttered under my breath as he slowly disappeared by the dark.

--

One more night before his birthday, I noticed that he was treating me coldly. He would talk to me when it is needed. He wouldn’t ask how my day was. He wouldn’t do anything about it.

I, being a pride-stricken woman, didn’t also do anything. I was as cold as him, twice sometimes. I would still do stack his clothes in the closet and do some chores but I didn’t bother talking about him being so vexed in things.

He went out for a while, bluntly telling me that he’ll go out for a short walk around the village. I didn’t mind him at all, I let him do want he wanted.

Time passed by and I became worried. Baro is not yet home. He should be home, truly speaking.

“What is his problem?” I told myself as I was getting annoyed with all these childish fights. I realized that, maybe, we should make up. Plus, it’s his birthday. I heaved a sigh, and slowly gathered all the strength in the world, thinking of right words to say.

Anxiousness got the better of me as I walked back and forth behind the sofa, near the window. Silence dominated the whole place; the only sound was the tic-toc of the wall clock I bought three months ago.

I dragged my feet off near the window, my hand lightly flailing the curtain sheets to the left, letting my eyes see what’s happening outside the house.

In a matter of seconds, my body there, frozen in its position from the sight I saw. Baro was outside, he was just outside. But one thing was sure, he was holding a cancer stick and he was with another girl, standing side by side with him. The light emitted by the street light was enough for me to see their shadows lurk in the corner.

Maybe Baro felt that someone was watching them, his eyes hovered around and I immediately put the drapes on its original place. My orbs still circling with the sight I saw.

I was hurt. I was hurt that he was just there, standing by the gate. I was hurt, knowing that he smokes. I was hurt, seeing him happy with another girl. I have gone over this, over this typical bull called jealousy. I hated myself being such a crybaby about this.

I ran to the drawing room, locking myself up. I cried my heart out, pouring all the bitterness I felt as I curled up in a yarn ball position with my elbows to my knees. My frail figure became even smaller, making myself look weaker.

In between my sobs, I tried to pull myself up. The jealousy I felt this time was really at its high peak. Like I wanted to rip everything I see. Beside the white canvases was the one I painted for Baro. I dragged the cloth cover, revealing the masterpiece I made for him.

For me, that was one of the prettiest paintings I have ever painted. His smile, it was something that made my heart flutter that moment. It pains so much to me that it will just go to waste.

I held the painting on both edges, extending my arms since it was almost bigger than me. I hugged it oh-so tight with tears falling down on my cheeks. I put it back to the easel as an idea came into my mind. He doesn’t deserve this painting.

I slowly got my paint tubes, didn’t mind if I have no brush at the moment since I could use my bare hands to this. I started ruining the picture, destroying every piece of it with own little hands. Colors mixed up with the shades, swirling tints and hues.

Moments passed and I heard the click o the door, maybe it was him. Maybe he was getting cold. Maybe he was done smoking all the cigar sticks he has. Maybe he was done doing it with that girl.

I composed myself, not wanting to look affected or so, and went out of the room to see him. He was there, busily cooking dinner for both of us. I went to the sink, letting the water wash my dirty hands from the paint I used.

“You don’t paint on evenings, right?” He asked me as if nothing happened, maybe he was also sick and tired with the petty fight we have gone to the past few days. But now, it is a lot bigger. The issue became complicated, and that is all because of this stupid pride.

“Yeah. Just trying something new…” I rubbed my palms together as the dishwashing soap became bubbles. I cocked my head in amusement while playing with those.

“Hey, I was just outside…” He explained as he went near me, closing the distance that seemed forever before drawing it in. I stood there; my hearing sense became more vivid as I listen to him.

“I was about to bring my cousin inside the house, but she wanted to smoke…” He said as he buried his face at my back, his hands s to my waist. My eyes widened and my stiffened in awe. He was telling the truth, I could feel that.

I stopped the water from running and faced him, still letting his hands over my little frame. My hands found its spot on his neck as I stared at him…

“I’m sorry… I am really, really sorry…For being such a nagger…” I told him as I lay my head to his warm chest, able to hear his heart beat again.

He tightened his arms through me as he continued my statement, “…and forgive me, for being an attention …” He chuckled lightly, how I miss hearing those lately.

“After we finish our dinner, I need to sleep immediately, babe…”

“But it’s your bir—“

“I know, but our manager is strict and nagging, like you…” He smiled as he pinched the tip of my nose. “We could celebrate it tomorrow night…” He touched my cheeks, then turned back to check the stove.

Dinner was served a few minutes later, and my mind was off to something that really bothered me; my gift. I have no enough time to make another and just by this night. I need to think of something.

Baro finished his food and told me that he’ll be upstairs. He kissed me lightly as I held onto him. “Good night, babe…” He whisphered.

“Baby good night…” I told him and we both chuckled upon hearing that. I heard his footsteps became lighter and lighter until silence dominated again. I clicked the fork onto the table, thinking of another gift for him.

Suddenly, an idea was there in my mind, waiting for me to make it a reality. I am not really sure about this, but I need to have a gift for him.

--

Baro’s POV

I woke up by light sound of my alarm. Extending my arms to warm my body up, I felt the little figure of my girlfriend, sleeping so sound again. I brushed away all the little strands that covered her face as I stared at her for a few minutes.

Since the new manager was strict about being punctual, I got up from the bed and walked to the shower room to ease and refresh myself.

As soon I got my towels on me, I rummaged the closet she had been organizing for already a few months; it’s really a nice feeling when someone cared for you.

Although she hasn’t yet cooked a really delicious dish for me, it was okay. I love her and all I could do is to help and see her improve as time pass by.

I looked for the blue polo shirt she bought for me, and I saw a folded piece of paper in the stack of clothes. My brow raised in confusion. I pulled it and unfolded its parts, only to find out something really awesome…

It was a pencil portrait of me, holding a squirrel, with a squirrel costume on. It looked so cute I laughed myself out of joy. She did it for me… I looked at the note below and saw…

Cha Sun Woo,

            You know how much I love you, don’t you? Hehe.

            I am going to tell you a secret… I was really a jealous upon seeing you outside with your so-called “cousin”. Haha, but I believe you.

            I am sorry if this portrait is not really of my best effort, I just finished it a few hours ago. Let me know what think about this, okay? Wake me up if you need to, Jagiya…

            I love you and happy birthday!   

                                                                                                                                    <3

I was frozen for that moment; she did this in a night’s time? She made this for me, only for me. And she was jealous of my cousin… I chuckled a little bit when I realized that this girl is really jealous of anybody who goes near me…

After putting my clothes on, I woke her up. I moved her body lightly and she got up in a sitting position while rubbing her eyes. She yawned like a cat.

“Thank you so much for the gift jagiya…” I drew my body close to her, as she was hugging me back to, brushing her hand at my spine.

“It’s nothing...” She meekly smiled at me; making me even so happy with the fact my girlfriend is so sweet towards me. She pushed me lightly as we conversed…

“Don’t be jealous with my cousin, okay?” I raised my finger on her face as I let her understand that she is only my cousin, nothing more, nothing less.

“Make me, Baro-shi!” She pouted and showed a little of her tongue, giggled after her silly action. I cupped her face and pulled her for a kiss by which she happily accepted.

“Don’t you have rehearsals?” She asked.

“Nah, I realized that I need to spend my special day with my girlfriend, so take a shower, we are going on a date!” I said as I ruffled her hair. It was my day, so I’d better spend it with the ones I really cared for.


I am sorry if there are grammatical errors or something.

I fell asleep while I was doing this so it's kinda rushed. :D

Till next time! :D