REGRET (Part 2)

BEAST Fanfics Collection

 

Dongwoon woke up in the night. It’s 8.00 p.m now. He was on his bed. His shirt and trousers had changed. He felt the pain on his . He tried to get up but the pain became worse. “Shhh..!” Dongwoon hissed. Doojoon suddenly came to the room.

“Are you up? How are feeling? I already put ointment to treat the wound. It will be okay soon.” Doojoon sat on the edge of Dongwoon’s bed.

“I’m okay, hyung.” Dongwoon lied. The pain was throbbing and his head was spinning. He tried to get up again. “I want to go to the bathroom.” But again, he failed. He fell when he tried to take a step. Doojoon helped his brother to stand. “I’m sorry, Dongwoon-ah. I punished you too hard. Kaja, I’ll help you to the bathroom.” Dongwoon forced a smile. “Gomawo, hyung.”

It’s been a week after the punishment. Dongwoon recovered already. He went to school since two days ago. The life went normal those days. Doojoon was still busy with his artwork and Dongwoon was busy with school.

 

After school…

Dongwoon was going to go home but suddenly the rain came. He found a shelter and stayed there for a while. The raining still poured. The day started to dark.

“Ah, it’s not good. Doojoon hyung must be worry. I have to go home soon.”

He looked around but no one passed. Seemed like everyone already home and didn’t want to go outside anymore.

“Maybe I have to start walking. It’s impossible to wait any longer.” Dongwoon then started to walk in the rain. He put his bag over his head to protect him from the rain. It was already night when Dongwoon arrived home. His clothes soaked. His bag couldn’t protect him well. The rain was really hard.

Tock, tock…. “Hyung, I’m home.” Dongwoon called his brother.

No answered. “Hyung!” Dongwoon called again but still no answer. Dongwoon dug through his bag to find the spare key. “Andwae, I left my key in another bag.” Dongwoon then checked his phone, wanted to call Doojoon.

“Hyung, I’m in front of the house but seem no one home. Where are you?”

“I’m in the middle of meeting. You know I’m going to hold an art show next week.”

“What time will you go home, hyung? I left my key…”

“Aigo, Dongwoon-ah. How come you are so careless? I’m not going home before …”

Tuut… tuut… tuut… The line is cut. Dongwoon looked at his phone. “Aish, stupid battery!” He grumbled. He decided to wait Doojoon in front of the house. Cold wind blew. “I have to wait a little longer. Doojoon hyung will come home soon.” Dongwoon said to himself.

 

Doojoon POV

I’m in the middle of meeting with my crew when my phone rings. “I’m in the middle of meeting. You know I’m going to hold an art show next week.” It’s Dongwoon. He said he left his key and can’t go in. And the line is cut. I think his phone runs out of battery. Sigh, my brother is careless sometimes. But I can’t go home early because there are many preparations for the show that must be prepared. It’s my first show. I can’t let a single mistake happen. I hope Dongwoon is okay.

 

It’s a half hour past from midnight. Doojoon drove his car home. The rain still poured but not as hard as before. “Dongwoon-ah, wait for me…” Even though he acted strict and cold to his brother, deep inside he loved him. He did it for the sake of his brother. He knew if his show succeeds, he would be busier. He didn’t want his brother to depend on him. That’s why he taught Dongwoon to be a strong and independent person.

 

In front of the house…

Doojoon parked his car and walked towards the house.

“Dongwoon!” Doojoon shouted to see his brother curled up in front of the door. He mended his pace and checked Dongwoon’s condition.

“Dongwoon-ah, Dongwoon-ah, ireona…!” he talked in panic voice. “Dongwoon-ah…”

Dongwoon slowly opened his eyes. “H-h-hyung… you’re home.” he flashed a smile.

Dongwoon tried to stand up but he fell off. Doojoon support him as they walked in. Doojoon bring Dongwoon to his room.

“Dongwoon-ah, change your clothes first. I’ll make some food.” Doojoon asked his brother.

“Hyung, can you stay here for awhile? I feel so cold…” Dongwoon pleaded.

Doojoon smiled. “Sure. But you still have to change your clothes.” Doojoon then opened the wardrobe and took a t-shirt and sweat pants for Dongwoon. “Here, change your clothes. Look! You are all soaked.” Doojoon gave them to Dongwoon.

“Gomawo, hyung.” Dongwoon walked to the bathroom to change his clothes. He felt dizzy, so he held on bathroom door to prevent him from falling. Doojoon saw it.

“Dongwoon-ah, gwaenchanha?” He asked worriedly.

“Nan gwaenchan….” Dongwoon couldn’t finish his sentence but he vomited on the floor. His head was spinning. It became dizzier than before.

“Dongwoon!” Doojoon shocked and ran to Dongwoon. He rubbed Dongwoon’s back to make him felt better. “You shouldn’t say you are okay if the fact you are not. Cha, let me help you to clean up and change the clothes.” Dongwoon nodded helplessly. He felt like he had no power left.

After changing clothes, Doojoon let Dongwoon to rest.

“Dongwoon-ah, take a rest. I’ll make porridge and take some medicine. You get a fever.”

“Hyung… You promise to stay.” Dongwoon managed to speak.

“But you have to eat before having medicine.” Doojoon replied.

“I don’t have any appetite, hyung. Please, stay with me…” Dongwoon was about to cry. He didn’t know why he was like this. He just followed his feeling. It had been a long time since their parents died. After that time, he didn’t have enough affection from Doojoon. His brother was always cold to him. Yeah, he cooked and did the house chores but Dongwoon needed more than that. Doojoon was strict. The only time Dongwoon thought that could he used to have the missing affection was this time, when he was sick.

“Hyung…” Dongwoon whined again.

Doojoon was cold but deep in his heart, he’s warm.

“Arasso…” Doojoon gave up. He sat on the edge of the bed and caressed Dongwoon’s hair. “Sleep well, Dongwoon-ah…” Dongwoon held Doojoon’s hand. “Hyung, sleep with me… Jebal… I feel cold…”

Doojoon startled with the sudden touch. Dongwoon’s hand was cold. He lied beside Dongwoon. Dongwoon put his hands on his chest and cuddled to Doojoon. Doojoon felt cold hands on his chest but the other parts were hot. Dongwoon was really sick.

30 minutes past. Dongwoon still cuddled to Doojoon. He patted his brother’s head. “Dongwoon-ah, mianhae…” Doojoon moved and sat. Once again, he checked Dongwoon’s temperature. “He still have the fever.” Doojoon walked to the kitchen and took a bowl. He opened the refrigerator to get some ice cubes. He took a small towel from the wardrobe and came back to Dongwoon’s room. He put some ice cubes on the towel and wrapped them. Then he put it on Dongwoon’s forehead. Dongwoon winced a bit when he felt coldness on his skin.

Doojoon was about to go back to the kitchen when he heard Dongwoon talked in his sleep.

“Eomma… Stay here. Please, I won’t be a bad child.” He looked so sad and frightened. “Eomma… Don’t go! Eomma…” Dongwoon’s now crying. His body was shaking and his tears overflowing on his face. Doojoon came back and held Dongwoon. “Shhh, it’s okay, Dongwoon-ah… You are with me now. Let our mother go. You have to be strong.” Doojoon hushed his brother. Dongwoon looked more relax now. His sobbed a little but he kept calling his mother.

“Eomma…” Dongwoon held Doojoon tight. “I will be a good boy. Eomma…”

“Dongwoon-ah, wake up. It’s me, Doojoon…” Doojoon tried to wake his brother up.

Dongwoon opened his eyes and saw Doojoon.

“Hyung, you will not leave me like eomma and appa, right?”

Doojoon smiled. “I won’t. I will always by your side, Dongwoon-ah.”

“Do you promise?” Dongwoon asssured.

“Yes.” Doojoon replied. “Now, you have to rest.”

Dongwoon nodded. Doojoon put the ice pack again on Dongwoon’s forehead. Dongwoon slept more relax after that. He called Doojoon twice in his sleep but it’s not like the first one. Doojoon just needed to move closer to him and caressed his hair for awhile.

 

In the morning…

Dongwoon woke up in the morning. He found himself on his bed alone. There’s no sight of Doojoon.

“Hyung…” Dongwoon tried to call his brother. His voice is husky.

“Hyung…” He tried again but it still inaudible.

He looked over his phone but he couldn’t find it. Then he decided to walk outside. He heard a sound from the kitchen.

“Ye, ye, sajangnim. I will be there in an hour. No, there’s nothing wrong. The show will be hold in the day we have decided before.”

Dongwoon heard Doojoon had a call with someone. He knew that was about his brother’s art show. He walked toward the kitchen. Doojoon saw his brother.

“Ooh, you wake up already. How is your feeling?”

Dongwoon didn’t want to make Doojoon worry. “I’m feeling better.”

Doojoon asked Dongwoon to sit. He checked Dongwoon’s temperature.

“You still have a slight fever. Eat his porridge and then take this medicine.”

“Gomawo, hyung.” Dongwoon started to eat his meal. Even though he didn’t have any appetite, he forced his body to swallow the food. He knew Doojoon wouldn’t let him to take the medicine before he ate his porridge up.

“Dongwoon-ah, I have to meet someone today. Are you okay if I left you home alone?”

Dongwoon looked up. Actually, he didn’t sure if he could stay alone. But he didn’t want to ruin his brother’s plan. “I’m okay, hyung. You can go.” He tried to smile to make sure his brother believed him.

“Thanks, Dongwoon-ah. If you need something, just call me.” Doojoon said.

Dongwoon nodded and continued to eat his porridge. Doojoon left 5 minutes later. Dongwoon was still in the kitchen. He saw the bowl. It had two third part of porridge left. He really didn’t have appetite. He stood up and poured water to a glass. He took the medicine and swallowed it.

“Maybe I just have to lie down and wait for Doojoon hyung to come back.” Dongwoon talked to himself.  He felt a little dizzy.

It’s 2 o’clock in the afternoon. Dongwoon woke up from his sleep. He felt pain in the right side of his stomach. “Aargh…” He pressed that part of stomach. The pain wasn’t gone. It was throbbing. A tear slid down his cheek. “H-h-hyung…” He sobbed. Dongwoon searched his phone in his bag. It’s off. He remembered last night it ran out of battery. He plugged the charger in it and turned the phone on. He dialed Doojoon’s number. He waited awhile before Doojoon picke his phone up.

“H-h-hyung. Neomu apa…(It hurts).”

“Dongwoon! What happened? Hang on. I’ll be there soon!”

Doojoon cut the line and rushed home.

“Dongwoon!” Doojoon called his brother as soon after he arrived home. He walked towards Dongwoon’s room. There’s no one on the bed. Then he looked on the bathroom. Doojoon was shocked to see Dongwoon sat on the floor. His t-shirt soaked because of the sweat. The trace of the vomit was on his face. His face was pale and his bang covered his eyes.

“Dongwoon! Dongwoon-ah!” Doojoon run toward Dongwoon and lifted him up. Doojoon piggybacked Dongwoon and got him inside the car. Doojoon drived the car to the hospital fast.

 

In the hospital…

The nurse brought the stretcher towards the car. Doojoon put Dongwoon on it. The nurse led Dongwoon into the emergency room. Doojoon stayed outside. He felt so worry.

“How can Dongwoon become like that? He has a fever but I don’t think it will make him this bad.” Doojoon thought.

After fifteen minutes, the doctor came out. Doojoon hurried into him.

“What happened with my brother, doc?” Doojoon asked worriedly.

“Your brother has appendicitis. He already gets it for awhile and today is the culmination of his sickness. We have to do further examination. He has to stay for it.” The doctor explained.

“Do whatever, doc. Do everything for my brother.” Doojoon said.

“We will.” The doctor flashed a smile.

Dongwoon was moved to the ward. He was sleep. Doojoon sat beside him.

“Dongwoon-ah, be strong. I know you can make it.” Doojoon encouraged his brother.

Doojoon held Dongwoon’s hands. He felt so tired and fell asleep beside Dongwoon.

Dongwoon opened his eyes. “Hyung…”

Doojoon woke up. He smiled to Dongwoon. “Dongwoon-ah…”

“Hyung, it hurts…” Dongwoon looked pained. He winced several times.

Doojoon caressed his brother’s hair. “I know. But you have to be strong. Beat that pain.”

“I’ll call the doctor to inform that you’re awake. Doojoon told his brother. “Don’t worry, I won’t be long.”

Two minutes later, a doctor and two nurses came into the ward. Doojoon walked behind them. The doctor examined Dongwoon’s stomach and asked some questions. Dongwoon answered weakly. Dongwoon then went through some tests to make sure about his sickness.

Doojoon was in the doctor’s room. He was called to be explained about Dongwoon’s condition.

“The result is out. We are sure that your brother has appendicitis. We have to do the surgery. But we have to wait until your brother’s stamina back. I plan to do the surgery on Thursday. You can complete the form of agreement and we can do it.” The doctor explained.

“Thursday? It’s the day I hold the show. It’s my dream that I prepared for a long time. But Dongwoon is important too. He’s my only family.” Doojoon thought raging in his mind.

Doojoon came back to Dongwoon’s ward. He tried to smile.

“Dongwoon is the most important person in my life. His health is my priority.”

Doojoon walked in. Dongwoon played with his phone.

“Feel better?” Doojoon asked his brother.

“Yeah, the nurse gives me some painkillers just now.” Dongwoon answered.

“You have to gain your energy, Dongwoon-ah. If you are already fit, we’ll do the surgery. It will heal your sickness.” Doojoon said.

“Surgery? I won’t take the surgery except you stay with me.” Dongwoon replied.

Doojoon froze. “Dongwoon want me to accompany him to take the surgery.” Doojoon thought.

“When it will be held, hyung?” Dongwoon asked.

“On Thursday. So, you have to eat a lot and take medicine regularly. I don’t want you to suffer more.” Doojoon tried to answer plainly. He didn’t want Dongwoon knew his thought.

“Thursday? Isn’t it your art show day? No, I won’t do it on Thursday. Make it Wednesday or Friday.” Dongwoon said.

“The doctor already arranged it, Woon-ah. We cannot change it right away. Thursday is the right day to do the surgery. It’s okay. I can skip the show.” Doojoon answered.

“How come you say it, hyung? I know it’s your dream for a long time. You are near to it. You can’t lose it now.” Dongwoon argued.

“But, Dongwoon-ah…”

“No buts. You have to go. I’ll wait for you here. And after you finished your show, I’ll do the surgery.” Dongwoon decided the plan.

Doojoon thought a while. He thought that’s not going to be long to attend the show. He could be back to hospital soon. “Hmm… Arasso.” Doojoon finally answered.

 

Thursday [The day of Doojoon’s art show – The day of Dongwoon’s surgery]

“Hyung, fighting!” Dongwoon gave a spirit sign to Doojoon.

Doojoon smiled. “You too. Wait for me, okay…” Doojoon patted his brother’s head.

Dongwoon lied on the bed. He felt a little pain in his stomach. But he didn’t show it in front of his brother. He didn’t want Doojoon to leave his show.

The doctor came to the room afterward. “Dongwoon-ssi, how are you feeling today?”

“I’m okay, doc.” Dongwoon lied.

“Good, we’ll have the surgery on 4 p.m. Prepare yourself, ok?”

Dongwoon nodded. The pain in his stomach was throbbing. It became worse.

 

On the art show venue…

“Doojoon-ssi, congratulation. You finally did it. Whoaah, your work is awesome.” The owner of the gallery congratulated him.

“Thanks, sajangnim. It cannot be done if there are no you…” Doojoon was being modest.

“Doojoon-ssi, your paintings are great. I can’t decide which one I have to buy.” One of the visitors approached him.

“Thank you, ma’am.” Doojoon flashed a smile.

Doojoon looked at his watch. It’s 2.45 p.m. It’s time to go. Dongwoon will not do the surgery without me. Doojoon walked towards the door.

“Doojoon-ssi, how is feeling now? Can hold the show on this gallery is not easy.”

“Doojoon-ssi, where did you get the inspiration of your paintings?”

“Doojoon-ssi…” “Doojoon-ssi…” “Doojoon-ssi…” suddenly some reporters came around Doojoon. Doojoon couldn’t get away. He looked around to find the way to escape. He saw the owner gave a sign to him to do the interview.

“No, I have to go now. Dongwoon is waiting for me” Doojoon talked in his mind.

“Doojoon-ssi…” The reporters kept asked him many things. Then, he gave up.

“I’ll do this interview quick. So I can go faster.” Doojoon thought.

Doojoon answered the questions from the reporters. After a while, he asked for permission. The reporters seemed to be understood. After telling the gallery owner, Doojoon rushed to the hospital.

“3.45 p.m. Dongwoon, wait for me…” Doojoon drived his car as fast as he can. The way to the hospital took 45 minutes. Doojoon press the accelerator deeper. “I have to be there soon.” The way to the hospital became the longest way that Doojoon ever thought.

 

In the hospital (4.15 p.m)

“No! I don’t want to do the surgery if Doojoon hyung is not here!” Dongwoon shouted.

“Dongwoon-ssi, we have to start now. If not, your condition will become worst.” The nurse explained.

“No! I will wait for Doojoon hyung. He will come soon.” Dongwoon insisted.

The nurse sighed and walked out the room. She explained Dongwoon’s condition to the doctor. The doctor nodded and told the nurse to wait.

“We cannot force the patient to do the surgery. Moreover, Doojoon is the only relative he has. We cannot do this without his permission either.” The doctor walked away.

Suddenly Dongwoon’s body stiffened. Dongwoon felt a huge pain in his stomach.

“Aaaaargh!” He shouted in pain. The doctor and nurses run into the ward. The nurses held Dongwoon arms. The doctor examined Dongwoon’s stomach once again.

“We cannot wait anymore. We have to do the surgery now.” The doctor said.

“Nooooooo! I have to wait Doojoon hyung. He said he will come. He said he’ll never leave me…” Dongwoon was about to cry. His body was shaking because of his restrained sobs and pain.

Dongwoon still struggled with the pain. He vomited all of his stomach’s substance. There’s blood mixed in it. His condition became worse and worse. Doojoon still didn’t arrive yet.

10 minutes later, Dongwoon’s condition became weaker than before. He loosed all of his energy. The doctor and nurses were still in the room. They hope Doojoon showed up soon, so they can do the surgery.

Finally, Doojoon showed up. He panicked to see his brother’s condition.

“Dongwoon-ah…!” Dongwoon looked up to hear his brother’s voice.

“Hyung…” His voice was low but audible enough to Doojoon. “Mianhae, I can’t bear the pain. I’m not strong enough to beat it. Mian, I can’t bring proud to you. I’m not able to do what you always told me. I always break my promise to not cry. Mianhae, hyung…”

Doojoon put Dongwoon’s head into his lap. He caressed his brother’s hair.

“Shhhh, no need to say a word. Now it’s time to do your surgery. You will be okay afterward.”

“No, hyung. It can’t be cured by the surgery. I have enough of this pain. I want to be with mom…” Tears slid down on Dongwoon’s cheek.

“Andwae… You can’t go. You asked me to stay with you. How come you say that you want to be with our mother?” Doojoon cried too.

“Mianhae… hyung…” Dongwoon closed his eyes. His pulse was slowly gone. Doojoon cried harder. He pulled his brother’s body into a hug. The last hug he could give to his brother.

 

Doojoon POV

He is now gone. Regret is the one left.

“Mianhae, Dongwoon-ah… I hope you can forgive me. Tell my regards to appa and eomma. Be happy there, Dongwoon. Bye…”

Doojoon left the grave. Regret would always come after all has done. But he knew it was the best for Dongwoon. “Saranghae, Dongwoon-ah…”

 

~ THE END ~