1

Better-Half

 

She scrunched her nose as the pinkish powder flew lightly in mid-air to her little eyes. Involuntarily, Eujin closed her lids to prevent the dust from coming in. Her head cocked as she held her breathe and continued to make her own little face smaller. Some strands of hair swayed with her movement as she stirred her head sideward. She groaned in irritation as she was in that same sitting position for almost 7 minutes.

“Yah! Stop moving! Eujin-shi, we are almost done!” Hanbyul scolded. She mouthed “Sorry” to her.

Hanbyul took her chin and lifted it up. She continued to brush her cheeks with the light red tint. The next thing she did was Eujin’s hair. She cut the band that tied her locks and did it another French braid. Too bad Hanbyul insisted to do a braid instead of just letting it flow since her hair was almost chest length. Eujin’s head ached as she almost hauled her hair from its scalp.

After a few minutes, Hanbyul paused. Eujin slowly opened her eyes as she saw her friend with brows creased in stress, but it was immediately replaced with a light expression.

“There—“ She said as took a few steps backwards and sighed. It was a sigh of contentment. Eujin stood up and fixed the gown she wore. It was off-white, long frock that covered her feet. Its satin sheets were simply hidden by an extended pure white flowery lace. It was a Victorian cut, showing off her rosy skin.

Upon seeing the soon-to-be bride having a hard time managing her long gown, Hanbyul immediately assisted her friend.

“I’m nervous…” She mumbled in her breathes. Her voice almost trembled with the tense feeling in her body.

“Don’t be, unnie. You’ll be fine. Just enjoy your special day.” Hanbyul meekly smiled at her. She felt relief with the comfort of her friend. She grasped her tiny hand and lightly squeezed it.

Yes, it was her day for two reasons. One, it was her 21st birthday. Second, it was her wedding day. It was a marriage for convenience. Since the Yoon Empire was on the verge of downturn when their family friend, the Bang family, decided to save them from shame and fall as they agreed to make their children marry each other.

She was the only girl in their family. Her other four siblings were all boys and three of them were already wed. Sangjin, her fourth brother, eloped with his girlfriend a year ago. He is still hasn’t found yet. The family was left with no choice but to let their only girl and their youngest child.

“Eujin-shi, just for the sake of saving our name, please marry him.” Her umma pleaded to her. Her eyes almost trailed off tears but she managed to hold it back. She loved her mother so much she couldn’t bear to see her suffer.

“Y-yes mother, for you, for our company…”

She had no option left. She had to marry someone she doesn’t love. Her heart was screaming at her that it was unfair, but, life’s unfair to everyone. The Bang family’s only son, Yong Guk was her groom. He was a strong-willed man and Eujin couldn’t decipher why did he agreed with this kind of locus. They both knew each other since they always go at the same events, same parties and even same meetings.

Eujin’s thoughts were broken by loud thuds on the door, it was probably her father. Hanbyul approached the door and slowly opened it, her guess was correct. The tall, regal man stood by the auburn varnished door with a blank expression.

“It’s almost time, Eujin-shi.”

“I know, Appa…”

--

That was five years ago. Eujin can’t believe that she was married for almost five years. Well, she couldn’t say that it was an unhappy marriage, neither a happy one. It was neutral. Staying in the middle, stationery, not even moving and in progress.

Yongguk played like a real husband, well almost; he was gentle and kind yet silent. Sometimes, he would talk to her. Sometimes, he would not. A typical guy who would always check on her but Eujin felt that they are really distant.

In the first year of their marriage, she was bothered with the fact that Yongguk may cheat on her since she wasn’t the one he loved. But things happened the other way around. There were no rumors about him cheating or things alike.

“Yongguk sunbaenim is really humble and kind…” Gilme sipped her teacup. As soon as Yongguk excused himself for an urgent meeting with a client, the topic headed towards him and of course, Eujin.

“Yeah noona! Gilme unnie is right, hyung is very considerate, he even let me go early when Umma got sick…” Junhong added. Eujin showed a small smile as she was impressed with the things her husband was doing.

“How about you unnie, won’t you tell any stories about you and hyung?” Dae Hyun asked her excitingly. He was close friends with the man but he knew he would get nothing if he asks Yongguk.

She didn’t know what to say, but instead, she tried to change the topic into random ones.

To be quite honest, Eujin liked Yongguk. Who would not? He was more than the ideal guy. His looks, his personality, his dreams, everything about him could make each girl fall for him.

Yes, they were married, but Yongguk never tried to force her on something she cannot do. He respected her so much, he barely literally touch his wife. They would oftentimes peck but nothing else more than that.

---

“Eujin-shi!” Mochi shouted from the entrance door of the function room and ran like a lightning towards Eujin. She immediately pulled her for a tight embrace, while Nana and Hanbyul stood behind, smiling.

After a non-stop chitchat, Eujin excused herself and went to their table. Yongguk was already there, talking to his Dad in a serious expression, suddenly, his father genuinely smiled and turned his head to her. She felt creepy and just bowed to the old man.

The setting was perfect. The chandeliers lit up bright yellow-orange lights by which complimented the smooth carpet lying on the floor. Scrumptious meals were served according to what the guests want. A small drinking bar was there at the leftmost corner, with delicious cocktails and awesome bartenders. There was also a band playing any music the guests requested.

The MC stood up in the stage and subjugated the party. The crowd paused and sat at their respective places. Everyone was present, her side, his side, both companies’ members and their close friends.

“Tonight, is a very special night since it is Yoon Empire’s only girl Ms. Eujin’s birthday and also her wedding anniversary with Mr. Bang Yongguk.” She smiled and a round of applause dominated the function area.

After almost a while, Mochi stood up with Hanbyul. They went straight to the stage and talked to the band. The guitarist nodded and both girls took the microphones. They both looked at Eujin and said “Happy birthday Eujin-shi!” in chorus. The crowd suddenly hyped as they both sing their favorite songs.

“This is why I like your friends.” Yongguk suddenly whispered to Eujin’s left ear, startling her. Her fragile body shivered in the sudden contact of his breathes to her skin. She stared at him for a moment and she received a gummy smile that made her heart flutter.

The surprise performance of the two ended and it was beautiful. The MC took again the stage and invited the parents of both families to say something about her. Eujin was somewhat nervous with what feedback she could since his parents were strict and stern.

Their speech finally over and she was able to breathe normally again. But the MC had some surprises to pull off and she invited Yongguk and her to go on stage. As gentleman as always, he held her hand tight and guided their way up to the platform, making the photographers ran to their corner and take candid pictures of them.

“Yongguk-shi, what can you say about tonight?” The host asked in a teasing voice and the crowd howled as they muttered words.

Yongguk-shi? Eujin’s left eyebrow slightly raised with the informal gesture of the presenter. But since she didn’t want to spoil the mood, she kept quiet and didn’t let go of his smooth, soft hand. She felt a squeeze before he grabbed the mic and started to do a small talk.

“Uhm, good evening… First of all, I would like to wish my wife, a happy, happy birthday…” Yongguk’s little orbs stared to Eujin’s circling ones. She didn’t expect that he would say such things, such words. If only she could believe that it was really true, she would be the happiest woman ever.

He immediately ended the speech and gave her a light peck on the lips, astonishing her once again. She was getting used to it, and she felt bothered with that fact. They went back to their table and the band started to play music again.

After some time, Yongguk noticed that Eujin was getting bored. With her eyes hovering and lips pursed as she smiled from time to time, he approached his parents and told them that they’ll be going home.

It’s about time, he thought.

-

They were now inside the car, with Yongguk controlling the wheel. Eujin sat beside him, looking at the bright night lights through the tainted glass window. The song “Ordinary People” was on track that moment.

Yes, they were ordinary people. And, they should it slow. But isn’t five years a long time already?

His lips curved as he stole a glance from her. She was perfect, for him.

Eujin immersed herself with the lamp posts while Yongguk drove their way home. Silence dominated the whole trip since she cannot forget his parents told them before leaving the venue a few minutes ago.

“Oh dear, I hope to see a little Eujin or Yongguk as soon as possible okay?” Mrs. Bang said.

“Yongguk-kie, please, give us grandsons, we are not getting younger son.” Mr. Bang ruffled the hair of her husband. Eujin awkwardly smiled as she turned her eyes to Yongguk who was grimacing with his parents nagging.

The car suddenly stopped, snapping Eujin’s thoughts. She looked at Yongguk who was also staring at her…

“Hey, I have a surprise for you…” His deep husky voice sent a chilly feeling at Eujin, but she managed to hold it back like it was a normal conversation between them. She gazed at his little eyes, which were slightly bigger because of the black eyeliner on his lids.

“Can you wear this first?” He then handed a small sleeping mask to her. She was hesitant to put it but seeing him with some kind of determination and hope, she couldn’t let him down. As she was done covering her eyes, a pair of hands guided her way out of the car.

She tightly held on the hands, hands that she was sure those were Yongguk’s. After 104 breaths, since she counted it, they stopped walking. Eujin smelled the scent of burning candles. He slowly took her mask off her face and her eyes opened and widened to see another surprise.

They were at the rooftop overseeing the beautiful lights of Seoul, and there was a small table for two with candle lights and some delicious looking food; it was such a sweet gesture for her, the sweetest, to be quite honest. Yongguk never did this, well after five years of their marriage.

Eujin wanted to scream because of happiness but something restrained her from doing it.

Why is he doing this in the first place?

A question she could never answer. A question that relied on Yongguk. A question she had no courage to ask. She didn’t the reason why her tongue shortens when it comes to her husband. Maybe she was afraid to get hurt? Maybe she was afraid to know the truth? Or maybe she was afraid to face the fact that truth hurts? It was strange that he is doing this for her.

Her smile faded into a small frown. She walked to the veranda facing the little lights glowing and sighed her frustrations out. Yongguk would never love her. Not unless they spend time together, which she knew it was impossible because of business matters. He stood beside her, leaning his elbows on the silver grill.

“You could stop this now, Yongguk-shi…” She mumbled as she faked a smile while looking at him.

“I, I don’t unde—“

“It’s okay to show the others that you are concerned to me, that we love each other. But, show’s over Yongguk…” She tried to make her voice more audible and less shaky, still staring at his eyes. She turned her back and headed to the door but she felt a warm feeling hugging her back.

She suddenly felt her stomach rumbling and her heart skipped a beat as the man behind her tightened the hug. She wanted to struggle but her knees were weak.

“Eujin-shi… Let me just do this… Just this once…” He whispered, closing his eyes to let him feel her body next to his. Eujin stayed stiff on her position, confused on what she would do now.

For a long moment, the couple remained on that very position. Even her eyes aversely closed as she felt his breathe, his body, and his heartbeat really, really near hers. Yongguk pushed her lightly and made her body turn to face him.

“I, I don’t know if you’ll believe me, but I, I’m only saying this once…”

 

Silence.

Silence.

Silence again.

Yongguk made it hard for her to breath. He was killing her…

 

…softly.

 

 

 

“I liked you since the day we met. I liked you since the day you clumsily slipped all the papers of your dad’s while bringing them into our office. I liked you since you made a fail sushi lunch for us.” He held her by her shoulder as he said those words. Eujin’s mouth was dry and couldn’t even utter a single word. He remembered everything, everything that happened since the day they were young, since before they got wed.

“When I knew about our marriage last five years, I was hesitant at first; we were both young and immature… I even thought you were going to rebel against your parents for forcing you… But I was wrong; you are really brave, for going into a roller coaster situation with the innocent mind of yours…” Yongguk pinched her cheek, making it red. Good thing it was somewhat dark and the moon and some stars only lit the pitch black sky.

“I, I don’t know, but to be honest, I loved our marriage. I loved everything that has gone within these four years. I loved you and I will forever do…” Yongguk hugged her once more and even tighter than before. Eujin hugged him back as she almost buried her nails on his polo shirt.

“Happy birthday Eujin-shi… I love you…”

“I love you, too. My Yonggukie… My husband…”

“I like it more when you call me...younr better-half...” Yongguk beamed as pulled her in for their first real kiss. A sweet kiss by the bright moon. A sweet kiss at the rooftop. A sweet kiss that was worth waiting for five years.

 


How was it?

Excuse me if there are grammatical errors. I finished this at 1 in the morning.

Comments would be great. :)

 

Happy birthday again shyvana-sshi! <3 <3 <3