Chapter 2

Perfect Circles

"I...guess you'll have to stay here." Jongwoon told Ryeowook, placing the latter's bag on the corner near a wardrobe as they entered his room. "Jongjin didn't want to be with me, so he requested if he should stay where he was, and then you'll go to my room."

"It's okay, I really don't mind." Ryeowook smiled gratefully, his eyes scanning his new bedroom. It wasn't that big, but it was enough for the two of them. Ryeowook doesn't occupy that much space, and even though the wallpaper is dark and plain black - not to mention, a glass tank that contained three turtles could be found near the computer table - it was a nice room overall. He smiled to himself, thinking that he'll finally get to share a room with someone that he can call brother. Imagining the both of them just hanging out in their room for the rest of the afternoon...ah, just the thought itself excites him. Being an only child, he never got to experience something like this. His only companions were always his laptop, the air conditioner, some books, and etcetera. Maybe that's why he was such an introvert - there was no one to talk to during his free time. "Are you sure that it's okay with you that I'm here?"

"Of course it is!" Jongwoon let out a grin and reached out to ruffle Ryeowook's hair, much to the younger's dismay. "You're part of the family now, so don't worry."

"Thank you..." Ryeowook mumbled, a bit overwhelmed by the warm welcome. Honestly, he didn't expect his new family to be this hospitable; he readied himself with any negative reactions that he might get - but it seems like he didn't need to. He returned the smile and raised his hand to fix his tousled hair. "If that's the case, where should I sleep?"

"Ah, yeah, I almost forgot," The other said, bending down to reach below his bed and pull out another moveable matress. The height was smaller than the original bed, such that the original bed was elevated a bit from the matress. Jongwoon tapped the matress and stood up, his hand wiping little beads of sweat from his forehead. "I'll be staying below; you stay on the higher one."

"What? No, it's okay, I'll stay below. It's originally your bed,"

"It's okay, I've been sleeping on that bed for years; it's about time for me stay below."

"We have the same bed! I've also been sleeping on the higher bed, so it's actually okay–"

"Ryeowook," Jongwoon interrupted, a bit amused with the other's stubborness. "I had more time to sleep on that kind of bed since I'm older than you, so please take the higher bunk."

Ryeowook sighed and pouted his lips. "How old are you again?"

Jongwoon automatically found the other's expression cute, and so he smiled involuntarily, his hand resting on a nearby desk. “Twenty. How about you?”

"Seventeen," Ryeowook frowned, finally giving up and sitting at the end of the higher bed. "Fine, but after three years, we must switch places."

"After three years?" Jongwoon chuckled, calculating in his mind how old he will be after the given time. "Okay, you said it. I'll make sure to remember to switch places with you after three years." He repeated happily as he went towards the direction of the bathroom. Jongwoon smiled at the other, before entering the door. "Wait a minute, I'll be back,"

Ryeowook just nodded, and watched as the older one disappeared. Sighing contently, he let himself lay down on the bed and bounced his body up and down, feeling its softness. Ah, what a wonderful life indeed... Suddenly remembering something, he took his phone out of his pocket and dialed a number he promised himself that he would call as soon as he was settled. After a long time of ringing, somebody finally picked it up, making Ryeowook sit up attentively.

"Hey."

"Kyuhyun-ah," Ryeowook grinned at the phone, despite knowing that the other wouldn't see. "What are you doing?"

A low hum can be heard over the phone as Ryeowook listened.

"Playing,"

"As always," Ryeowook rolled his eyes playfully but laughed nevertheless. "Am I disturbing you?"

"No, you're on loudspeaker."  The voice on the phone said, with the sound of computer keys being pressed quickly. "You should feel special that I'm actually entertaining you right now. But really, Wook, I'm so good that I'm still winning even though my attention is split in half,"

"I serve as your inspiration that's why." He said jokingly, the smile not leaving his lips.

"Correct! And because of that, make my lunch for tomorrow."

Ryeowook laughed. "Sure! What do you want?"

"Surprise me."

"Alright," Ryeowook responded and glanced at the bathroom door, remembering that things weren't really the same anymore. Sighing, he continued. "Hey Kyu, I'm actually near your place."

"Your new house is near my place? Cool! Come over here."

"Not now. Probably tomorrow after school. Or better yet, you come here." He chuckled, flexing his fingers in a leisurely manner. "Have you eaten yet?"

And at that moment, Jongwoon came out of the bathroom, who was still buttoning his shorts. Ryeowook felt conscious all of a sudden and cleared his throat, adjusting his position on the bed.

"I'll probably drop over tomorrow. How are the people over there? And I haven't eaten yet. You?"

"I haven't either," Ryeowook answered. "Go eat now, it's already late. I'll talk to you later, I have to go."

"So fast? Don't you want to talk to your lovely Kyuhyunnie?"

Ryeowook can vividly see the pout on Kyuhyun's face as he laughed softly. "Stop that. Being cute doesn't suit you. I'll call you later, okay? Bye."

As soon as Ryeowook hung up his cell phone, he saw Jongwoon seated on an office chair just in front of the computer desk observing him closely. "Girlfriend?" The older asked which made Ryeowook cough a bit.

"No, just a friend." Ryeowook responded almost immediately, his mind quickly thinking of something to change the topic of their current conversation. Fortunately, his eyes drifted to the glass tank that he saw earlier, making his eyes lighten up a bit. "Ah, do you own those turtles, hyung?"

Jongwoon let out a wide smile, his hands suddenly reaching down to caress the shell of the nearest and biggest turtle. "Yes, want me to introduce them to you?"

"Of course!" Ryeowook grinned, and stood up so that he can go near Jongwoon. He looked down to the tank, finally seeing the turtles who were staring at him with their small sort-of-threatening eyes

It gave him the shivers.

"It looks like they're excited to meet you." Jongwoon laughed a bit, giving room for Ryeowook to come closer. "Here's Dangkkomaeng, Dangkkoming, and Dangkkoma."

"H...Hi," Ryeowook greeted them awkwardly, his hands also trying to reach down to them. He was too shy, too scared - what if they bite him? A faint chuckle can be heard beside him, as Jongwoon took his hand and placed it closer to the turtles, making it touch their shells.

"Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?" Jongwoon grinned, finally letting go of Ryeowook's hand. Ryeowook uncomfortably poked each turtle's shell, which in return the turtles just stared at him as if he would intrude their life. Ironically, it was the pets that didn't welcome him at all, and he didn't know if he would be happy about that or not.

Before Ryeowook can say anything, the door suddenly opened, making both of them turn to look at its direction. It revealed an energetic Jongjin, who was grinning and bouncing like an idiot kid. "Hyung! Lunch is ready,"

"We're coming," Jongwoon responded, and waved for him to go away. Jongjin pouted his lips, not getting the reaction that he wanted. Nonetheless, he went away and closed the door behind him. After the kid was gone, Jongwoon turned to Ryeowook and ruffled his hair again. "Let's go?"

"My hair isn't for you to be messed with!" Ryeowook whined and tried to fix his hair to its usual position. Jongwoon just laughed, grabbing Ryeowook's wrist in the process and pulled him towards the staircase, in which the petite boy just followed with his pouting lips.

---

"So... Ryeowook!" Mr. Kim called, a smile escaping his lips after he just swallowed the food he just fed himself. "You're studying in Jongjin's school, am I right? What grade are you in?"

"Ah, yes." Ryeowook answered shyly, grabbing a glass of water and drinking from it. "I'm already in eleventh grade."

"That means you'll be graduating next year!" Their father said happily, nodding at that fact. "How's school? What's your favorite subject?"

Ryeowook hummed silently, considering on what to answer the question. "School is doing fine. I like...Music, probably.

"Music?" It was Jongjin who repeated, while taking a look at Jongwoon for a moment, and then back at Ryeowook. "Do you have any musical talents?"

"Ryeowook plays the piano," His mother answered for him, much to Ryeowook's relief since it really was embarrassing for him to talk about it. "And he sings very well too. He's a member of the school choir."

"Really?" It was Jongwoon's turn to be surprised, his head rising up from his food. "I was part of the school choir too. I guess we didn't meet because when I graduated, it's your first year in high school?"

"That's probably it." Ryeowook answered this time, his eyes turning to look up at Jongwoon in awe. "I didn't know you can sing."

"You still haven't seen the rest of my talents," Jongwoon chuckled in amusement, as he swallowed another spoonful of food. Ryeowook just laughed quietly, but couldn't help himself from making a face playfully at his new brother for being so bragging.

"Looks like you two are getting along well together," Their father said cheerfully, while taking notice of Jongjin who was happily eating his food at the side. He frowned a bit, seeing that the latter wasn't joining their conversation. "Ah, this kid is really..."

"What?" Jongjin asked innocently while his mouth was still full, finally looking at the rest of them. "It's just that the food is delicious for the first time ever! Who cooked?"

"Ryeowook's mom did," Their father said, giving his new fiancée an affectionate smile. "From now on, we'll have a nice dinner, featuring-"

"Dark chocolate ice cream?" Jongjin's eyes brightened, as he interrupted his father excitedly.

Their father just laughed, while nodding his head at the direction of the freezer. "Jongwoon, get the tube of ice cream from the refridgerator."

"It's been a long time since we had ice cream!" Jongwoon exclaimed, jumping from his seat like a kid and rushing over towards the appliance. Everyone laughed after that, before paying attention to their meal.

Somehow, Ryeowook felt happy. His new family was being extra-nice to him, and more than anything, they made him feel welcome. Maybe having new siblings wasn't such a bad idea after all… or maybe he’s just blessed to have a new accepting family. It’s nice that he’s actually accepting the thought of living with them for the rest of his life too, despite the sad loss of this father.

---

"Why do you have so many underwears?" Jongwoon asked, as to which Ryeowook's cheeks darkened to a shade of red.

"Just go and do your own thing, hyungnim!" Ryeowook exclaimed, pulling over the trolley closer to him and away from Jongwoon. The older was supposed to help him unpack, not to with embarrassing side comments.

"But I want to help Ryeowookie!" The older whined and pouted his lips, making Ryeowook laugh a bit and poke his nose.  Really, it was unbelievable how the two got close in a short period of time.

Suddenly interrupting their bickering, Jongwoon's phone rang loudly, which made the both of them look down at the pocket of his shorts. He quickly fished his phone out and upon looking at the screen to see who was calling, and after that, he plopped down on his bed—on the lower bunk—casually, and answered the phone with a very big smile on his face. "Vic!"

Vic?

"I miss you too, butthead. I'm helping Ryeowook unpack his things." Jongwoon looked at the latter and winked, the grin never leaving his lips. Ryeowook just looked at him in confusion, his head tilting a bit to the side. The other continued to talk happily to the phone, "He's my new brother! You guys should totally meet soon, he's awesome."

Ryeowook made a face at him and spanked his shoulder lightly for his flattery. Jongwoon just poked his tongue out, amused by the other's reaction. "He's younger than me, but older than Jongjinnie. Yeah, yeah, I'm old, but you're older than him, ahjumma."

Ryeowook just chuckled and continued to gather his clothes to put it on his new closet two at a time. He couldn't help but listen, though.

"Whatever, ahjumma. This ahjusshi loves you the most." Jongwoon continued to say. Ryeowook snorted at the greasy delivery of the line, and Jongwoon just raised his eyebrows at him, as he made a kissy sound on the phone. "I love you more, baby girl. Good night, sleep tight, dream of me. Go to sleep now, it’s getting late. Yes, yes. I love you.”

Ryeowook watched Jongwoon hang up his phone with a big smile plastered on his face, as the older looked at him dreamily. Ryeowook bursts out laughing at the expression of his face, as he settled the last set of clothes on his closet, and finally closing the wardrobe door. “Care to explain who that was? Does my new awesome older brother have a girlfriend?”

Jongwoon hummed happily in response, “You’ll get to meet her soon. I’m sure you two will click.”

“I’m sure we will, hyung.” Ryeowook flashed a smile at him, before putting away his bag to a corner and climbed up on the higher bunk beside Jongwoon. He was on his pajamas—it was his favorite giraffe-printed pair since he wanted to feel comfortable sleeping on his apparently new bed—unfortunately, Jongwoon laughed at him when he came back from the bathroom a few minutes ago and Ryeowook didn’t know why. He didn’t think anything was funny. He snorted at the remembrance, his hands going under the pillow to take in its warmth. “What is she like?”

“She’s—well, I can say that I admire her for being really…different and independent and sophisticated. She carries herself beautifully, and I…have no idea how she can like somebody like me. To be honest, I don’t think I deserve her. She’s too nice, too perfect for me…and she treats me as if I’m the most loveable person in the world. She’s perfect.”

“Those…were big words, hyung.” Ryeowook commented, his body snuggling around the blanket that he just covered himself with. The side of his head was resting on the pillow comfortably, as his body was facing Jongwoon completely. The other was also lying down by now, also having a blanket to give him warmth and facing the younger. Ryeowook blinked sleepily at him, taking in his features as he watched him. Ryeowook finds it exceptionally comfortable talking to him. “Tell me about how you two met.”

“How we met?” Jongwoon repeated, shifting his positing in the bed to a more comfortable position. “Hm…she was also studying in our high school, and that’s how we met. We were classmates, and we were good friends. Of course, it all started when one liked the other, vice-versa, and everything cheesy went after that. We were always teased by our friends, and both of us were really shy that time. One day, I couldn’t take it anymore, and being the guy, I asked her out. She, of course, accepted it and—Ryeowook?”

He caught a glimpse of the already-sleeping boy whilst he was drowned with explaining. He chuckled, thinking that the other just wanted a bed time story to drift himself to sleep. Smiling, he reached towards the nearby lamp and turned it off, his eyes blinking at the darkness that surrounded them. He went back to his bed and closed his eyes, ready to go asleep as he murmured,

 “Good night, Ryeowook.”


A/N: sorry for the very late update. hope it's okay, and thank you for reading!