Hourglass

Hands of Time [ Wings are made to Fly ]

The sun was blanketed in a sea of endless clouds.  A soft pitter of rain fell on the flower covered casket.   Summer had always been her favorite time of year.  She would go to the beach for hours just to embrace the cool summer breeze that filled her senses with the refreshing salty air.

Then there was him.  The happiness he experienced with her gave him the willpower to continue his dreams as a musician.  How could he live without that adorable soft giggle that escaped when her lips when he tried doing his math home work or that light eye smile that shone the brightest to him?  The pain was unbearable even a small tear was a luxury.  Why was she always in his head filling his dreams with hope?  Every day, he would wake up only to find that she was no longer here. 

28k6flk.jpg

Park Jin Kyong was the proper lady like class president.  Kim Jong Dae was the rocker who did not give a damn about life.  He hated society and how people always hid behind masks of deceit pretending to care about someone other than themselves.  Students around him always made illogical assumptions that he was gangster who sold drugs and beat up others. Yet, if he had given into all peer pressure he could have met every requirement of a so called bad boy.  Sure, he often skipped class to practice his music but he would not waste his life doing such idiotic things. 

After his first gig at a nearby coffee shop, all the girls seemed to swoon at his feet.  Jong Dae was disgusted by all the fake insincere confessions he received.  None of them knew even his favorite color but sent him cheesy love letters.  All of them had pretty much the same message: They were swept off their feet by his angelic voice and dashing good looks. Why would they give their precious heart to a rotten stranger like him?  He didn’t do anything nice for them or even look their way. 

One day, a petite girl came up to him with her skirt so high the world could see her underwear and an ed blouse, which revealed a lacy bra.  She handed him a sign with her confession in an oddly colored ink.  The girl explained while pointing at her finger that she had written it in her own blood.  Did girls think that such mortifying acts would please him?  Jong Dae was deeply disgusted that she would be willing to give the blood she needed to live as a proclamation of her love.  Just thinking about would other fans would do for his attention gave him goose bumps.  So he did the only thing able to stop the madness: quit school.  Coffee shop owners had already offered him positions to play music live at night.

Before the start of school, he visited the principal the following day.  The principal faked sadness but anyone could notice the happiness in his eyes. One less rebel the faculty had to be accountable for the easier their lives were.  As long as they got their paychecks in the mail, everyone was happy.

When classes began, he took one victory lap around campus.  Finally, after three years he was now free of the place that prohibited him from following his dreams.  Anything other than classical music or preppy kpop was deeply frowned upon.  Jong Dae gathered the remaining equipment from the basement of the building and headed out of school. 

At the moment he reached the gate before he could take his first step into the real world, a faint call filled his ears.  He turned around expecting another fan but to his surprise it was the class president Jin Kyong. She meekly bowed and approached him slowly with a box in her hands.

“I know that you are going to think I am another one of your stupid fan girls but I just admire your passion for music.  And no, I will not beg you to stay or anything so please wait.” She said in a soft and gentle tone.  His piercing gaze met her sincere eyes. He couldn’t just say no.

Slowly and cautiously, he inched towards her.  He removed the lid expecting a strong fragrance to hit him.  He peeked into the box to find hundreds of different patterned guitar picks.

“Why?” he asked coldly trying to hide his confusion and shock.

“Why,” she chuckled slightly, “…because I know that you are leaving school. I was in the office this morning getting some papers when I overheard your conversation. I am deeply sorry for ease dropping but it is a good thing I did. I have had these guitar picks in my locker for months now after I heard your music in the basement.  I can’t get that song you play out of my head. I guess the lyrics just spoke to me perhaps.  So, yeah I didn’t know anything about you so I got almost everything they had. I hope these will get you started in your future career.”

She turned her heel and walked back to class.  Jong Dae was so shocked he muttered a quiet thank you and left hoping she heard.  He was surprised by her actions and speech. Something about her made him giddy like a little kid. Maybe he should continue school but he shook away his silly second thoughts and chuckled.

Now shall we spin the hands of time forward three months?

The hallways were always filled with excited chatter around this time of year. It was time for the year annual prom and everyone was buzzing about their outfits and dates. Jin Kyong however could care less due to the fact that there were many more preparations to be made. The stress was piling up as the big event approached.  Lately, she often experienced sharp headaches and occasional vomiting but she just shrugged it off.  Of course studying came first but she did not want to let everyone down so she pulled off many all nighters. 

She was walking to the art room to get the plans for the decorations.  While she made her way into the hallways a pain shot through her body and her vision out into complete darkness.  The world seemed to stop as she toppled onto the cold ground with a loud thud. 

Jong Dae just so happen to be visiting that day telling the secretary he forgot to clear out his locker. It was a simple excuse so he could see his angel Jin Kyong.  He slowly walked around the school softly humming one of the songs he composed. As he made a turn, he noticed a young girl passed out in the middle of the pathway. He ran ahead towards her in a state of panic.  That tall body simply lay there. It was her but she had lost so much weight. Those large round cheeks that he adored disappeared and dark circles covered her face like a shadow.  Without hesitation, he picked her up and ran to the nearest hospital. This case was far too serious for an inexperienced school nurse.

People must have thought he was a maniac running through the streets carrying an unconscious body not caring who was in his path.  His muscles burned from the sudden workout but she was more important.

Love does crazy things to people.

With his last burst of energy, he powered through the hospital doors and screamed for assistance.  Patients and visitors gave him dirty stares. He wasn’t insane but he simply cared for her enough to throw away his pride and wall of defense.  The stretcher was rolled out and the technicians lifted her out his embrace. He was relieved of the extra weight but he could carry her all day if it was the only way to be with her.

Jin Kyong mother later rushed into the emergency ward with her husband. Jong Dae hid behind an open door so they could have a private moment.  Two hours seemed to him like a million days. He was worried for her health and regretted leaving school. During this time, he just felt useless and empty.  Without an education, he could not cure whatever disease she had nor was he rich enough to pay for treatment.  All he could do was pray for good results.

When he was in deep thought, a doctor came out with a grave expression and her fragile body in a wheelchair.  Her mother burst into tears as her father burst into anger.  How could such a cruel thing happen to his perfect daughter?  Someone must have gotten the wrong results or the machines must have been broken.

They ushered the family into the medical ward down the hall.  He crept behind slowly to figure out the situation. The sign above the doors revealed the worst.

Leukemia Ward

Caution: Please sanitize before entering.

Jin Kyong could barely grasp the situation around her. One second she was worried about prom and now this man was telling her that she was dying. Why her? She wanted to grow up and start of family after fulfilling her dreams of a doctor. Couldn’t it be anyone but her? You could not blame the child for being selfish under such circumstances. 

A nurse came in to inform her that she needed to shave her head for the benefit of others around her.  They assured her that it would grow back after treatment. Her mother’s sobs grew louder. 

“Mom,” she choked,” everything will be all right. Now I can add a new experience to my list in life. This small thing will not stop me from fulfilling my dreams.”  She mustered up a small fake smile to please others around her.

He saw how they picked up the electric shaver and lifted it toward her precious head with little emotion. Did they not see the sadness in his angel’s face? Were these people so heartless that they could not even wince at her muffled cries of despair? He wanted to go in there and save her but his legs turned into weak twigs.  He sat on the floor helplessly as her beautiful locks of raven hair drifted to the ground.

She wanted to scream and just die already. It would make the process much faster for everyone and save her parents the treatment costs.  They placed her in her bed. To her left was a little pale girl folding a bunch of butterflies to pass the time.

“Hello, you must be a new patient.  You must be wondering why I’m folding paper butterflies. Well it’s a secret. Maybe I will tell you some other day.” The child smiled weakly. How could a girl with so much more to live be so happy?

She stared out the door a blank gaze to find a boy bawling on the floor.  She recognized him as the rebel who use to attend her school.  He stared at her with a longing gaze and soft sobs. She wanted to get up and comfort the stranger but her mother pulled the stiff covers over her body and begged her to rest.

In the morning, she peeked out the puffy eyed boy asleep on a chair with his head bobbing up and down.  When he leaned back, he accidently whacked his head against the wall and winced.   She enjoyed watching his cute drowsy hurt expression. He saw her staring his way and mustered up a crooked grin.

The night before the young man decided to write her a letter on the frilly stationary he bought across the street.  It took him quite awhile to figure out what to tell her without sounding like a creep.  Jong Dae called out the nurse who was about to enter the room and pleaded her to deliver the message.  This was how their blooming love story began.

Every week, he would visit her as she received treatment.  He even went back to school and recorded every lesson for her so she could watch from her laptop.  He tried to take the pain and boredom away as much as possible.  The day before her big surgery he stood outside her window and sang his heart out with a large tacky “I LOVE YOU” sign.

The risky surgery went well and after a month of therapy she was able to go home.  Jong Dae visited the hospital often enough to meet her parents so they were on somewhat friendly terms.  He stayed for dinner and awkwardly chatted with her father.  When the parents went up stairs for the night, the two snuck out.

The sands of time were ticking for couple, which made them cherish every possible moment they breathed.  Jong Dae waited for an opportunity to take her to the place that had a special place in his heart.  The bus ride there was long and foreign with a curving snakelike road with only the glow of the headlights to lead them.  An awkward silence oozed out of the quiet atmosphere.  He told her to save her energy for later so she slept nuzzled onto his broad shoulder.  The dark sky slowly revealed the warm glow of the sun and the thick blanket of fog soon disappeared. 

The bus driver parked the vehicle and told the passengers this was the last destination for the night.  He gently shook Jin Kyong’s fragile body awake.  Her eyes fluttered open slowly adjusting to the light and surroundings.  He placed on his callused hands on her bony shoulder and led her out of the bus thanking the driver as he passed.  As the bus pulled into the parking lot, the beautiful view slowly appeared appear their eyes.

The sun peeked out perfectly causing a light orange ripple in the sea of iridescent blue.  The morning waves crashed lightly hiding the smooth rocks.  Their ears were filled with the sound of faint seagull caws and splashing from the ocean. 

As the warm sand met their feet and the light salty breeze hit their cheeks, all seemed right at the moment. Not one could prevent them from continuing the sweet bliss. The surgery had gone well and she could soon return to school and graduate to become a doctor.

“Although I am very thankful for even finding a bone marrow donor, it makes me think about all the stuff I’ve missed. Time doesn’t wait for people.” She sighed, “I missed graduation with my friends, college exams, and even prom.  Don’t I sound selfish? I’ve done so much in life compared to other kids like that little girl in the ward. One minute she was making her thousandth butterfly and the next day gone with the wind.”  At this point, she was in hysterical tears.  The little girl in the ward had died leaving 999 hopeful tear stained birds under her bed without a final goodbye.

Jong Dae tilted her chin up and wiped the salty tears away with his sleeve. “You wouldn’t be able to change fate. And prom? Well, I know there is no music and we are obviously not wearing fancy clothes,” he said pointing at their dirty sweats,” but, Park Jin Kyong may I please have the honor to dance with you?”

They stood up and laughed at their childness.  Swaying in the middle of the beach, Jong Dae hummed one of the songs he composed. Passersby doing their morning workout sent daggers in their directions.  Jin Kyong was in pure bliss.

“I love you.” Jong Dae whispered into her ear.  She looked at him up into his eyes and in the spur of the moment they shared their first little sweet peck.

Jin Kyong pulled away with flushed cheeks and giggled nervously to break the tension.  They sat on the log in deep silence and burst out laughing like newlyweds the next.  She felt free; she could leave the earth at this moment in peace.  Her heart slowed down into a restful state.

Jong Dae reached out to pull her into a hug but she just laid their like a broken puppet. Her arm fell limply at her side she crashed into his body. 

The tombstone still surrounded by all the presents of those who had loved her so much.  People had lied to him, the pain didn’t numb after the years passed.  Each waking moment felt as if someone was rubbing salt on the wound in his heart.

The stranger behind the tree witnessed him let down his wall of defense each year at her death anniversary.  This was the year that the mysterious woman would reveal their identity to the boy.

“Jong Dae,” the delicate voice rang through the eerie silence. He whipped his head to her direction.   He had never met the women in his life but she seemed to know him well.

“You might not know me but I was Jin Kyong’s best friend.” She told him. It’s been a long time since he heard her name.

“I have something you might want.” She held out the envelope and he took it with shock eminent on his face.  He shakily reached for it still skeptical.

The cream envelope had Jin Kyong’s writing but the were not straight like before.

Dear Jong Dae,

Excuse my messy penmanship due to the fact I am writing this struggling with the hands of time. My time was short but that doesn’t mean that your life should be wasted. Meet a nice woman and start a family. We were young and foolish teenagers who worried nothing about our futures. But as your reading this, I hope five years have passed productively.  Forget us for a change but I’m still here anytime. Close your eyes and bring yourself back to the past. My heart will always be waiting for you. People may say that their partner gave them wings to fly but Jong Dae I have just simply opened them. So spread your own wings and fly to your own destiny.

Love,

Jin Kyong

The tiny blood stain in the corner flooded his mind with mix emotions.  How did she know he would not move on even years later? The letter seemed to calm his heart after a traumatizing storm.

He picked up the guitar buried in the back of his closet after he got back home and played away his heartache.  Music kept her legacy alive and soon millions of people would know their love story through the soft strums of the guitar that started it all.

 

ev18qd.png