Chapter 1

Puzzle Pieces

 

Chapter 1:

            “Are you okay?” asked Thunder when he took a seat.

            “Wha…? What? Oh, yeah…”

            Thirty minutes later the shop was cleared, and they were free to go.

            Lee Joon walked up to the store manager, who was cleaning some tables.

            “Who’s that girl?” he asked.

            “Girl? Be more specific. A lot of girls come to our shop; especially today.”

            “Long hair. Uh… Had a bag with her today. Looked old. The bag! The bag looked old. She was wearing glasses. Shorts and a white t-shirt.”

            “Oh, Alice! I know who you’re talking about.”

            Alice? Her name’s YooJin…

            “Do you know where I can meet her? Maybe you have her number?”

            “Sorry, even if I had that information I wouldn’t give it to anyone, including you. That’s unsafe.”

            “Is there any way I can meet her?”

            “Well… She comes here everyday.”

            Everyday… Perfect! He thanked the manager and walked out to the car, knowing just where he would be next morning.

Alice’s POV

            As soon as she saw his face, it felt like her head was about to burst. Memories flashed before her eyes; she couldn’t understand any of them, but all she knew was that it concerned him. Then ignoring everything, she quickly took a bus home.

            Alice took her earbuds out as she entered her house. Waving a quick hello to the housekeeper, she swiftly walked into her music room, filled with computers and everything necessary for her writing.

            After hours of practicing and writing, her dad came in the room, tired from a long day’s work.

            “Hi Dad,” says Alice, hugging her father.

            Her father embraced her as he returned her greeting before quickly leaving the room, probably to go to sleep.

            Half an hour later the housekeeper comes in. “Alice, it’s getting late; why don’t you finish that tomorrow?”

            “Yeah, I was planning to either way.”

            “The bed’s set up and everything. Good night Alice.”

**

            A shrill squeal, an abrupt scream. A bright light, a child’s cries. The funeral flashing by, the look on her father’s face…

            Alice abruptly woke up from her nightmare; a memory from the past. She looked at the clock; 3:00 AM. She laid back down, only to realize that she was unable to sleep. So instead she went outside to her backyard and did some yoga; relaxing her mind and body from the prison her brain was a few minutes ago. Even though hours passed, the same face kept reappearing in his mind, the face of that boy from the coffee shop, her memory slowly coming back to her. After watching the sun rise with serenity, she gets ready for the day and goes to the usual coffee shop and her seat in the back, only to see it occupied.