The beginning of the end

Our Story Continues

[ Warning! Long read ahead. ]

___________________________________________________________________

 

There was one moment in my life that I’ve dreamed of getting married to my best friend. Yes, my best friend. It sounds stupid right? Like there was some unwritten law that you’re not supposed to fall in love with your best friend. But what can I do? How can I not fall for him? He is caring. He is understanding. He is the only one who can keep up with my attitude. He is my savior. He is my everything.

 

But then, when he introduced Kiko to me, I know I should stop my stupidity. I should stop imagining getting married to him. Because the stare he gives her cannot compare to the stares he gives me. He looks at Kiko with so much love in his eyes. And right then and there, I decided to step back and just be happy for him. I should just be contented to be his best friend.

 

They decided to get married after three years of relationship. I faked a smile and congratulated them both. And when I got home, I cried a river of tears. That was when I realized that I should stop loving my best friend because he is getting married now.

 

And then, this tragic accident happened. Kiko and Jiyong got into a car accident. The very moment I heard it, I immediately rushed to the hospital. There, I saw Jiyong on one of the benches just outside the Emergency room, his white shirt full of blood. I ran full speed and hugged him tight when I got to him.

 

After some time, we sat down. I held his hand and squeezed it tight. Telling him that I’m here and I’m not going anywhere. He looked at me straight in the eyes and I’m afraid he would see my feelings because I am wearing my heart on the sleeves. He forced a smiled and leaned his head on my shoulders.

 

I don’t know how many hours we have been sitting there. And when a person in white came out the emergency room, we both stood up. We faced the doctor and when Jiyong was about to open his mouth and ask how Kiko is, the doctor shook his head and said: “Sorry, we did our best. But she lost too much blood.”

 

I gasped and covered my mouth with my hands. Tears streamed down my face as I continuously shook my head. This can’t happen. Kiko can’t die. Jiyong loves her so much. Jiyong will be in pain. He will be in great pain.

 

I was shocked when I heard a loud sound beside me. I looked at Jiyong and saw him kneeling on the floor. Head bowed down. Hands curled into tight fist. I kneeled down beside him, the doctor forgotten. I hugged him. Really tight. Then Jiyong started crying in my arms. His whole body shook as he cried in despair. I cannot do anything but to cry with him.

 

“Why does it have to be Kiko? Jiyong loved her so much. It should be me who died. I’m sure Jiyong won’t cry this much if it was me. You’re so unfair. Why do you have to hurt Jiyong like this?” I prayed as I continuously caressed Jiyong’s back.

 

 

***************************************************

 

 

 

 

Three years have passed now. Yet, the Jiyong I knew is nowhere to be found. He now turned to be stoic and workaholic. I started getting worried for him. And his mom is also worried for him. Then one day, his mom and dad talked to me.

 

“Dara, I know this is too much to ask but please, bring back the Jiyong we once know.” Mrs. Kwon said.

 

“I… I don’t know, Auntie. Kiko’s death took its toll on Ji. He loves her so much.” I said as I shook her head.

 

“I know you love my son, Dara. I can see it in your eyes. The way it sparkled when Jiyong comes into your view. Make him love you back. Make him happy again.” Mrs. Kwon held my hands across the table and squeezed it. I cannot do anything but to look at the lady in front of me.

 

“I don’t agree on this the first time I heard it, but when I thought it thoroughly, I started seeing the bright side. You were the only one who made Jiyong smiled again when his favorite dog died when you were still eight.” Mr. Kwon spoke for the first time.

 

“What can I do?” I asked.

 

“Marry my son, Dara.” Mrs. Kwon blurted out. My  eyes widens. What?

 

“I can’t possibly do that, Auntie. No…” I shook my head.

 

“Please? For Jiyong.”  Mr. Kwon said. And I don’t know what happened to me. My head nods in its own accord.

 

 

 

[Four Years Later]

“Jiyong?” I roamed around our house and looked for my husband. I sighed. Yes, we got married. Jiyong and I. And it has been four years. I don’t know what his parents said that made  him agree on our marriage. My dream came true. Well, partly of it. I shrugged my shoulders as I continue to look for my husband.

 

I the corner and my brows furrowed seeing that one door was open. I started my steps towards the room and was surprised to see my husband there. I tiptoed while entering the room. Not wanting to make any sound as possible.

 

“Why do you have to leave me? I still love you, Kiko.” I heard him says. My heart stopped beating the moment he said those words. I clutched on my chest and fight the tears that are threatening to fall. 

 

“So, you still love her.” I said. My voice cracked a bit and I hoped he didn’t notice it. He  swiftly turned his head around and looked at me. I managed a smile.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jiyong said as he collected the pictures in his hands and put it in the box. Jiyong no longer talk to me in his usual gentle voice. Instead, he talks to me as if I am someone he despised.

 

“I’m looking for you. Breakfast is ready.” I said as I fight the tears on the brim of my eyes.

 

“I’ll follow.” Ji said as he turned his attention back to the box full of Kiko’s pictures. I didn’t miss the pain that crossed his eyes. I curled my fist and decided that I cannot continue seeing pain in his eyes every waking day.

 

“That’s enough, Ji.” I said with determination on my voice. I walked closer to him and crouched down to take the box away from his hand. Jiyong immediately stood up and faced me with anger in his eyes. I tried not to cringe from fear.

 

“Give it back to me, Dara.” Jiyong commanded. I shook my head and looked sadly at the box.

 

“Why can’t you forget her, Ji? Kiko’s already dead. There’s nothing we can do about it.” I said as I looked into his eyes. Pain flashed again as I mentioned her name and the word “dead.” “It’s time for you to move on, Ji. Seven years have passed already. Please stop hurting yourself, Ji.” I pleaded as tears streamed down my eyes.

 

“I can’t…. I love her too much to let go.” Jiyong said in a small voice but I heard it crystal clear. I can’t do this anymore. I cannot continue with this. I have suffered for four years already. I need to step up and fight for my love.

 

“But you have me now, Ji! I am your wife now! You should learn to love me now, Jiyong.” My voice raised up a notch. I can see his fists are curled into a tight ball. He is really angry now.

 

“Yes, you are my wife now, Dara. But I didn’t want you to be. Mom and dad just forced me to marry you. I can and never will love you!” Jiyong said as he looked at me directly in the eyes. My tears cannot stop from flowing.

 

“Do you know how painful it is knowing that the only girl you love is dead? Huh? Do you know how painful it is for me to accept the fact the Kiko is already dead?” Jiyong said.

 

“Yes! I know how you felt that day, Ji! I was there. I was there beside you!” I answered back.

 

“Then you should know by now that I cannot love any woman aside from Kiko.” My heart broke into millions of pieces.

 

I sighed in acceptance and defeat. “There is no use of fighting for you, then. Because the moment Kiko left, you also left.” I sighed. “Ten years.” I took a moment as I gaze at his orbs. “I have suffered for ten years, Ji. I have been in pain for ten years now because of loving you.” I wiped the tears angrily then I looked at him straight in the eye. “Do you know how painful it is for me to see the man you love breaking down in front of you because the woman he loves died? Do you know how many times I prayed to God that it should have been me who died that day, because if it was me, I’m sure you won’t cry. If it was I then you won’t be feeling pain right now. If it was I then you will still be happy because you can still build a family together with Kiko, the woman you love.” I smiled bitterly then continued, “All the time, Ji. All the time, I was wishing that it was me who should be lying on that coffin. I was wishing that it was me who should be buried six feet under. I wish I was the one who died and not Kiko.” I turned around and headed for the door. I held the door knob in my hand and sighed again. “It pains me more than ever whenever I see disappointment in your eyes whenever you open them in the morning. I know that it is supposed to be Kiko’s face you’re waking up to and not mine. I’m sorry that I agreed with your parents. We just want the old Jiyong back.”

 

“The old Jiyong went together with Kiko. And no one can ever bring him back. Unless Kiko comes back.” Jiyong said. I glanced back at him and saw that his head is bowed down.

 

“I know that now. And it’s time for me to stop torturing myself. I think it’s time to end this stupid act.” I said as I opened the door and stepped outside. My heart bleeding and broken. “Take care of yourself. I love you.” With that, I closed the door behind me and went out of Jiyong’s life.

 

 

 

[After Two Years]

“Hey Dara.” I glanced up and saw Bom walking towards me. I smiled and waved my hand.

 

“Hey Bom.” I said as she sat beside me.

 

“Mommy!” I looked around and saw Bom’s daughter running towards us. I smiled tenderly.

 

“Soo jin, where’s Ji hye?” I asked and the little girl turned around and pointed towards my daughter walking slowly towards us.

 

“By the way, Bom. Where is Seunghyun? I haven’t seen him.” I asked as I kissed my daughter’s cheek and wiped the sweat trickling down her forehead.

 

“Oh, he flew back to Korea.” Bom said nonchalantly beside me while playing with her daughter.

 

“Why?” I placed Ji hye beside me and gave her a purple plushie toy.

 

“He went there to attend their reunion and to look for a house.” Bom said as she kissed her daughter and hugged her.

 

“You’re moving back to Korea?” I asked.

 

“Yeah. I didn’t want to but we can’t do anything about it. Our parents want to spend more time with Soo jin. I can’t say no to the old folks.” Bom smiled tenderly at me.

 

“I’m gonna miss you.” I choked out. Tears on the brim of my eyes.

 

“Aigoo. You should come with us, Dara. I’ll miss you big time.” Bom said as she pulled me into a tight hug. Ji hye stood up from her seat and went to Soo jin. Then she dragged her playmate towards the playground.

 

“You know I can’t, Bom.” I smiled sadly at her. She pulled back from the hug. I focused my attention on my daughter.

 

“Dara, it has been years since you left Korea and went here in New York. I’m sure you’re good-for-nothing ex-husband won’t recognize you if you went back now.” Bom said and she lightly slapped my shoulders. I looked at her.

 

“I don’t think I’m ready.”

 

“Oh, Dara. When are you going to forget about that bastard?” Bom said as she rolled her eyes at irritation.

 

“I don’t know.” I shook my head. “Maybe never.” I added in a whisper.

 

“Look. Think about this, Dara. Ji hye needs to know her mother’s country.” Bom said as she scratched her head. “Wait that sounded wrong. Soo jin needs your daughter and your daughter need Soo jin. They practically can’t function if the other one is not around.” I nod my head in agreement.

 

“Please think about it, Dara.” Bom looked at me pleadingly.  I just nod my head. Then Bom flashed her smile.

 

[KOREA, Jiyong's POV]

“Jiyong!” I spun my head around and looked to where the voice is coming from. I furrowed my eyebrow seeing a tall man dressed in a tux walking towards me with a smile on his face.

 

“Hey, man. How are you?” I looked closer and a smile crossed my face when I recognized the man standing in front of me.

 

“Seunghyun hyung! It’s nice to see you!” I said I gave him a brotherly hug.

 

“How’s life, man?” Seunghyun hyung said as he placed his arms on my shoulders.

 

“It’s……--” I paused and looked down on my fingers. “—fine.” I said as I looked up at him and smiled.

 

“You’re married?” He asked when he noticed the ring on my finger.

 

I just smiled at him in response. “How about you, hyung? Married already?” I changed the topic.

 

“Me? Yeah. I’m happily married and have one amazing daughter.” He proudly said. I smiled.

 

“Are they here?” I looked around.

 

“No. They’re in New York. But we will be moving here in Korea.” He said. “Want to see my daughter?” Seunghyun hyung asked as he fetched his phone on his pocket. I nodded and smiled at him.

 

“Here.” He said as he brought his phone out and placed it in front of us. I smiled seeing how Seunghyun hyung looked lovingly at the picture of his daughter. He continued changing the picture until one particular image caught my eye.

 

“Another daughter?” I asked. In his phone displaying two beautiful little girls.

 

“No. That’s the daughter of my wife’s best friend.” Seunghyun hyung said. Why does the kid looked familiar?

 

“By the way, hyung. You never mentioned the name of your wife.” I said as I continued browsing through his phone.

 

“Oh. She’s Bom.” Seunghyun said with a goofy smile on his face. I looked at him with wide eyes.

 

“Bom noona?!” I asked if we have the same ‘Bom’ on mind. The Bom who bullied everyone in school if they ever hurt the people she loves. Seunghyun hyung just nods his head with the smile still plastered on his face.

 

“Oh, by the way. Dara, your best friend, is doing fine in New York. Maybe you’re wondering.” Seunghyun hyung said. I stopped dead on my tracks. D-Dara?

 

“S-She’s in New Y-York?” I asked. Trying to look calm as possible.

 

“Yeah. You didn’t know?” I shook my head. “Oh, and I forgot. That little girl you saw in the picture a while ago with my daughter is Dara’s daughter.” W-What?!

 

“Did Dara found a husband in New York?” I asked.

 

“No. She’s a single mom. I tried to ask who Ji hye’s father is but she will just change the topic. So I guess it’s off limits.” Seunghyun hyung shrugged his shoulders.

 

“How old is she?” I asked.

 

“She’s turning three next month.” Seunghyun replied.

 

I started counting backwards. Then I felt my face pale as realization hit me. Dara left two years ago. And it’s possible that Dara’s daughter is my daughter.  

 

“Hyung, can I come with you when you go back to New York?” I asked Seunghyun hyung while looking at him directly in the eye.

 

“Why?” He asked me with confusion in his eyes.

 

“Because I think Dara’s daughter is my daughter.” I said. Seunghyun hyung’s eyes widens when he heard what I said.

 

“What are you talking about, Ji?”

 

I sighed. “Dara and I were married for four years. Then she left two years ago because of………because of something.” I looked down on my fingers and caught a sight of our wedding band on my ring finger.

 

 

[NEW YORK, Dara's POV]

“Hey, Bom. What’s the occasion?” I asked as soon as I entered Bom and Seunghyun’s house. Bom texted me a while ago and said that she is inviting me for some dinner in her house.

 

“Nothing. Seunghyun is just arriving today so I decided to cook something.” Bom said as went towards me and sat at the couch. I sat beside her.

 

“Ji hye, Soo jin is looking for you. Just go to her room, okay?” Bom said as she looked beside me and talked to my daughter. Ji hye shyly smiled and nodded her head before jumping out of the sofa and walking slowly towards Soo jin’s room.

 

“What time is Seunghyun’s arrival?” I asked. Bom stood up and I followed her.

 

“Anytime now.” She said as she arranged the table and I noticed that the table is set for seven people.

 

“Bom? Why se—“ Before I could even finish what I will say, I heard the door opened and came the familiar voice of Seunghyun.

 

“There they are!” Bom said excitedly as she skipped to the living room. I shook my head with a smile on my face as I followed her.

 

I stopped dead on my tracks seeing the man beside Seunghyun. I tried to move my feet and run away as far as I can but my feet felt like it is glued to the floor. I stared at him as he busily hanged his coat at the back of the door. And when he looked up, our eyes immediately met. I wanted to look away but his stares held me.

 

“I—I…….. I’ll leave now, Bom, S-Seunghyun.” I managed to choke out. I spun around and headed towards Soo jin’s room to collect my daughter. What is he doing here?

 

“What is the meaning of this, Seunghyun?” I can hear Bom’s booming voice from across the room. I fastened my pace and urgently knocked on Soo jin’s door. When the little girl opened the door, I went to my daughter and hugged her tight.

 

“Soo jin-ah, sorry but Ji hye and I will be going now.” I bent down and placed a kiss on Soo jin’s cheeks before picking up my daughter in my arms.

 

When I got to the living room, three sets of eyes looked at me and my daughter. I bowed my head, afraid that our eyes will meet again, and went towards the couch where my things are placed. Then I looked up slowly and made sure that I will only be seeing Bom.

 

“There’s…uh… Something came up.” I cleared my throat. “We will be going now.”  I forced up a smile. And I immediately scampered my way out. But before I can get hold of the door knob, a hand held my arms tightly. My heart felt like it is jumping out of my rib cage because of the familiarity of the touch. Tears are threatening to fall but I have to fight them in. I can’t be weak. I slowly spun around and faced Jiyong, my ex-husband.

 

“We need to talk, Dara.” Jiyong said softly that my heart melted. And there is something in his eyes that I cannot read. I tried to look further but my daughter distracted me.

 

“Who is he, mommy?” Ji hye asked in her little voice.  I looked at my daughter and smiled at her. I can see from the corner of eyes that Jiyong is looking intently at her.

 

“He is just mommy’s best friend, baby.” I replied while caressing her cheeks. I saw Jiyong flinched but I shrugged it off. Thinking that I maybe imagining things.

 

“Why don’t you come with me, Ji hye. Your mommy needs to talk to her best friend.” Bom interrupted us as she went to us nearer and held her arms towards Ji hye. My daughter wiggled her feet indicating that she wants to go with Bommie. I reluctantly gave her to Bom but I made sure I made a look at Bom and she smiled at me in encouragement.

 

Seunghyun and Bom slowly went to their daughter’s room and gave us privacy. I can feel my heart beat tripled its pace. It is never comfortable to be alone with your ex-husband who you still love. I looked elsewhere and I made sure that I will never look at him. After some time, I heard him sighed.

 

“Look, Dara.” He started. I was tempted to look at him but I stayed looking at the vase lying on the table. You can’t look at him, Dara. No. I started chanting inside my head.

 

I felt him move towards me and I unconsciously moved backwards. I was feeling more nervous each passing minute. He took another step and I was about to move again backwards when I felt his arms encircle my waist and prevented me from moving farther away from him. I shifted my eyes and looked down. The familiar touch is making me harder to breath.

 

“I’m sorry, Ssantokki.” He said softly. My eyes immediately drifted back to him hearing him call me that pet name. He gave me that nickname when we were just twelve and he stopped calling me that when Kiko entered his life. Kiko. I sighed. I should stay strong for my daughter. I should get over this and move on and have a happy life with my daughter.

 

“What do you want to say, Jiyong?” I asked while looking at him directly in his eyes. I saw pain and thought that he hasn’t forgotten about Kiko even after so many years has passed. I started feeling the familiar pain again and I fight the urge to break down and cry.

 

“I don’t know where to start but please hear me out.” He held my shoulders looked back at me. There I was again, mesmerized by how he can hold me captive with just his stare. “I was wrong for letting you walk away from me. I should’ve followed you. But I didn’t. And I regret never following you.” He sighed. “When you left, I thought that that would be the best for both of us. But there is something inside me that yells that it would never be the best for me. Because the best for me is waking up every morning seeing your face.” He said. My breathing stopped as I clutched my chest.

 

“Where is this leading to, Jiyong?” I asked. Tears slowly falls down from my eyes. He smiled sadly and brushed his thumb to my cheeks to wipe away my tears.

 

“All I want to say is I love you and I was miserable for the last two years.” He said. I shook my head repeatedly.

 

“No.” I said. “You can never love me, Jiyong. You said so yourself. You can never love any woman aside from Kiko. It came straight from your mouth.” I pulled his hands away from me and stepped back from him. I felt suffocated in his arms and it felt like if I stayed there a little longer, I would die.

 

“I was wrong then, Dara.” He said, his eyes pleading. “I was stupid enough to realize that I was in love with my best friend. I was in love with you even before Kiko came. I was just plain stupid when I shrugged off the feeling thinking that I love you just as a best friend. But no, what I felt for you is stronger than a guy should feel for his best friend. What I felt for you is stronger what I felt for Kiko. I love you, Dara. Please believe me.” He said as he held my hands and squeezed it tight. I looked down on our hands and gasped softly when I saw something on his fingers. He is still wearing our wedding ring. But no, I cannot believe him easily. I cannot put my heart at stake again. It is still not healed.

 

“How can I believe you, Ji, when you were the one who told me that you will never love me? How, Ji? How?” I asked as my sobs worked its way from my throat and before I can ever notice it, I cried in front of him while burying my head on my palms.

 

“Please, stop crying.” He said as he enveloped me into a tight hug. I clutched on his chest while the tears continuously pour from my eyes.

 

I placed my hands on his chest and looked up at him. I pushed him from me and he lets me go.

 

“Please don’t do this to me, Ji. I don’t want to get hurt anymore. I want to live a peaceful life. Please.” I said brokenly.

 

He just stood across me for a second without doing anything but staring at me. Processing in his mind what I have said. Then after some time, a small V forms in his forehead as he frowns and shook his head repeatedly.

 

“No. Oh God, no. I never wanted to hurt you, Dara.”

 

“But you just did, Ji.” I whispered. And I saw his eye widened for a moment. Then he smiles, a sad smile.

 

“I understand.” He murmurs. He took a reluctant step closer to me and when he saw that I did not take any step back to move away from him, he took another step and another until we are standing face to face with just one inch in between us. He held up his hands and made its way to my face to caress it. I melted feeling his touch and I try to act as if his touch doesn’t affect me. Then his finger lightly brushed my lower lip and I can feel butterflies flying around my stomach. And before I could even blink, I felt his lips brushed mine so softly. I closed my eyes and cherished the feeling. Then the faster the kiss happened, the faster it ended also.

 

I opened my eyes and I saw him looking at me as if he is memorizing ever part of my face. I looked back at him and realized how much I really missed this guy who used to be my best friend. I sighed inwardly and then I noticed him took a step back and unconsciously, I took a step forward. He smiled at me, and my heart leaps, and took another step back.

 

Questions started forming inside my head. Why is he stepping away from me? Then as realization hits, fear slowly crept into my system. He is walking away from me. My inner self shook herself as she shouts at me to run back to Jiyong’s arm and hug him and tell him that I still love him and that I’m willing to give him another chance. But no. I have my pride and it’s just what is left of me, and Ji hye. I have to be strong for my daughter and myself.

 

He took another step and I tried my hardest to stay at my place. I stare at him, my tears now dried up. He took another step and then I noticed that the door is already at his back. He looks at me one more time before smiling up a forlorn smile before turning around and holding the door knob and turning it and walking out of Bom and Seunghyun’s house.

 

I was left there staring at the door where Jiyong just walked out. And before I realized it, tears started to fall from my eyes again. I wanted to run to Jiyong and begged him to take me back. Tell him that I’m willing to take another chance with him. But my feet won’t make me move from my spot.

 

And then I hear a door opened. I look at the stairs and saw Bom walking down slowly with her eyes on me. I smiled at her and dropped to my knees and started my sobs. Bom hurried down and she was already beside me in just a second. I felt her arms around me as she moves her hand up and down at my back, comforting me. I really need her right now.

 

“I still love him, Bom.” I managed between my sobs as my head is still buried on my palms.

 

“Then what’s stopping you from running to him right now, Dara?” Bom asked softly.

 

“I’m afraid, Bom.” I looked up at her and saw that she has a smile plastered on her face.

 

“What is it that you’re afraid about, my dear friend?”

 

“I’m afraid that if I give him another chance, I also gave him another chance to hurt me, to break my heart. And I can’t let that happen, Bom. I’m afraid that I’ll get hurt again by the same person.”

 

There was a consumable silence between the two of us before I heard Bom heaved up a heavy sigh.

 

“Dara, it’s natural for you to be afraid, given that you have experienced what it’s like to be hurt by the person you love. But isn’t that it? That we are hurt by the person we love the most and that same person is the only one who can make us happy again and bring that foolish smile back to our faces? Love is all about taking risk and chances, Dara. And you should do that. Take a risk, give him another chance. Can’t you see how he looks at you a while ago? He looks at you as if you’re the only one his eyes can see. Well, aside from Ji hye.” Bom shrugged her shoulders then continued. “I know this will be hard for you to believe this but he loves you, Dara. He really loves you. I hope you make up your mind about him and his chance, Dara. Think about your daughter. Think about your heart.” She raised her hands and points a finger lightly on my chest where my heart is located. “Think about what this wants. What this will make happy. And I know that you know in yourself the answer to that.” Then she smiles at me.

 

“Where’s Ji hye?” I needed to ask first.

 

“No need to worry about her. She’s there with Soo jin and Seunghyun.” She stood up and offered her hand at me. I took it and stood up as well. I felt Bom is pushing me so I turned around and looked at her with confusion written on my face.

 

“What?” She asks. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“Why are you pushing me towards the door, Bom?” I asked, a smile plastered on my face. Somehow, I already know the reason behind her pushing me.

 

“What are you waiting for? Go run and get your husband back!” Bom laughed at me but I held her hands and laughed with her.

 

“He is not my husband anymore, Bom. Remember I asked Chaerin, my lawyer friend, to file for a divorce? And I have signed the document years ago. We’re no longer ma—“ I stopped in midsentence when Bom started wiggling her finger in front of me. My eyebrow furrowed as I waited for her to speak up.

 

“As far as Jiyong told Seunghyun, he didn’t sign the papers. And that, my dear, makes you two still legally married under all circumstances. Seunghyun told me that’s why I came running down t—“ I don’t have time to finish what Bom has to say.

 

I scampered my way out of the house but I heard Bom calling out my name. I ignored her as I started running towards I-don’t-know where. I need to get to where Jiyong is. I need to tell him that I love him still and I’m willing to take him back and give him another chance. I’m willing to take a risk with him. Tears started falling from my eyes but I don’t care. I ran and ran and people started looking at me weirdly.

 

Now, where is that man? I stopped for a second and roamed my eyes around. I’m at the central park and people is everywhere. I muttered an expletives as the people at the central park grew thicker. Then I saw a familiar figure of a man and started chasing him. I didn’t stop until I get to tap him in his shoulders and when the guy turned around to look at me, disappointment swept through me.

 

But I did not give up. I chase every man who has the familiar figure but then he is nowhere her. I glanced longingly at the bench and decided to sit there and just look at the hotels in front while I rest for a while then I will start my journey of finding Jiyong again.

 

I looked at every passing cab just to check if Jiyong is not inside of them and is heading straight to the airport. I need to talk to him. I need to talk to him desperately. I sighed as I glanced up and looked at the sky. I smiled seeing a peaceful sky blue color. How I wish all would turn up well and we all could be happy. Me, Jiyong and our daughter, Ji hye.

 

I remember the day I had the knowledge that I was carrying a baby inside of me. That was a bittersweet memory for me. Ji hye was conceived because of a mistake. Jiyong came home very drunk one evening and when he started kissing me, all logical thinking left my brain. I badly wanted to tell Jiyong about the baby. I badly want to show him the sonogram of our baby. But then, our worst argument happened and I decided to leave.

 

I sighed once again and glanced at the hotels and I immediately stood up seeing Jiyong across the street. My eyes widened when I noticed that he is hailing a cab. I stood at the pavement as I tried to cross the street but failed.

 

“Jiyong!” I shouted as loud as I can, hoping that he heard me. And I smiled when I saw him look up and our eyes met. I ran across the street, not minding the honking of the cars. I just have to get to him fast. He looked alarmed and glanced nervously back and forth at the street before looking back at me.

 

When we are both facing each other, I was catching my breath.

 

“Are you trying to kill yourself?” I heard him say through gritted teeth. I look up at him and smile. Really smile. Then I throw my arms around him when I cannot contain myself anymore. I don’t care about pride anymore. I only care about my future with this man.

 

Jiyong stiffened for a while when I hugged him but then I felt him relax and hug me back. I smiled as I buried my head on the crook of his shoulders. As his chin is rested on top of my head. And we stayed like this forever. And this is heaven. But then we still have to talk about things. Clear everything up.

 

I put my hands on his chest and reluctantly pushed him slightly away from me so that I can have a good look on my husband’s face. Husband. I smiled how that great sounded.

 

“Jiyong.” I started and he looked intently at me, waiting for what I have to say. I cleared my throat before starting. “What I said at….. I… Uhmmm.” Crap. I scratch my head as I tried to think of what to say. I glanced up at Jiyong and saw that he has some smile plastered on his face. I smiled back and wrapped my arms around his neck.

 

“I just wanted to tell you that after all these years, I still love you.” I whispered but I know he still heard it. He grins at me then slowly, he lowers his head and our lips met. I closed my eyes as I savor the feeling. His love, his soul. I felt it in his kiss. When we part from our kiss, we are both breathless. Jiyong rested his forehead against my forehead as the tips of our nose touched. I smiled at him and he smiled back. Then he spreads butterfly kisses all over my face. Both my eyes, the tip of my nose, both side of my cheeks, the corners of my lips, then he pecked on my lips.

 

“I love you. Please believe me.” He begs and I cradled his face in my arms as I stare loving at him.

 

“I love you, too. And I believe you.” I nodded at him and pecked him on the lips. 

 

He smiles again as he pulled me into a tight hug. I hugged him back as happiness radiates all throughout my system.

 

“I think we should get our daughter now.” Jiyong said after some time. I pulled out from our hug as I look into him. Confusion written all over my face.

 

“How did I know?” He asked me as I nod. Amusement written all over his face.

 

“I know what happened that evening, Dara. I’m not totally drunk that night to not remember that. I just didn’t have the courage to confront you about it when morning came and you never said anything.” He explained. I blush at the thought that he remembers that night and he is not totally drunk.

 

“I….uh.. Well…..” I said as I avoid his stare and look down on the pavement. I’m really embarrassed by now and I’m sure my cheeks are burning with color.

 

Jiyong held my chin and makes me look up at him. He smiles again at me. “No need to be shy about that.” He kissed me again. Oh, how I love his kisses.

 

“Now, let’s go get our daughter, my precious husband.” I winked at him and held his hand and tugged him so that we can start walking towards Bom and Seunghyun’s house. But I felt him pulled my hands so I looked back at him. “Hmmmm?”

 

“You knew I didn’t sign the papers?” He tilted his head on the side and I laughed at his cuteness.

 

“Yes.” I said as I pinched his cheek.

 

“Who told you?” This time, he pouted at me.

 

“Does it matter now, husband?” I as tugged again at his hand. We started walking then I looked back again at him. “All that matters is we’re still married and we’re going to get our daughter to start living like a real family.” I said.

 

“And don’t forget that we love each other and that will last till eternity.” He said as he walked beside me through the central park while holding my hand tightly to his. Then he bends down so he can just whisper into my ear. “And besides, we need to make a brother or a sister for Ji hye. And we can start practicing.” He winked at me then wrapped his arms around my shoulders.

 

“Jiyong!” I playfully slap his stomach and he laughed heartily and I can’t help but to laugh with him. And we walked happily towards our friend’s house to collect our daughter and start living like a normal family does, in love and happy. I’m sure Ji hye would be thrilled knowing that her daddy will be with us. She has been asking me when she ever gets to be with her daddy.

 

I look up at Jiyong and smiled lovingly at him. He smiled back at him then he dips his head lower and pecked me on the lips. I blush while he brushed my cheek with his thumb.

 

“I love you, Jiyong.”

 

“I love you, Dara. And I love Ji Hye, our daughter. And I’ll love every child there is to come.” This time, it was me who initiated the kiss.