And I’ve Been Secretly Loving You

And I’ve Been Secretly Loving You

 

It’s the break time when Baekhyun is walking to his locker. Books are on his hands, kind of too heavy. His friend, Kyungsoo is already heading to the cafetaria. He opens his locker by turning his numbers on the knob. When it’s open and he’s about to put his books, he sees a flower. Baekhyun grabs and sniffs on the flower. It’s a red rose and it smells good. The flower is fresh and pretty. There’s a paper being stuck on the flower, Baekhyun grabs it.

“You should realize you have a beautiful smile .” It reads that way, he smiles brightly. Baekhyun is definitely a cute guy, lots of people admire him and he knows that his face is his best asset other than his voice and his dancing skills. Baekhyun puts the flower back to his locker and closes it before everyone sees that. Baekhyun immediately leaves the locker room with the smile on his face.

--

That night, Baekhyun wants a cup of coffee and a donut to makes his day. So he decided to go to the coffeeshop nears his apartment, the lamps on the streets shine brightly and it gets washed away by the cold of the night. Baekhyun has to wear a thick hoodie as he walks down with his earphone plugged on his ears. When he arrives, he feels the warm of the coffeeshop welcomes him and the smell is definitely good. Baekhyun steps to the cashier to order his coffee.

“Hey, welcome!” The cashier says. Baekhyun looks up to see the cashier’s face, apparently the guy’s face tensed up.

“W-what’s your order?” The cashier asks. This guy is cute in Baekhyun’s opinion, even though he’s freakishly tall.

“Do you have a recommendation?” Baekhyun simply asks.

“Cappuccino. Hazelnut latte. Caramel macchiato. It depends on what you like; you want it hot or cold?” The cashier asks.

“The hot one. Hmm... I think I’ll go with caramel macchiato. Anyway, is there any donuts?”

“Yeah. Want the strawberry ones? It’s the best here.”

“Okay, I’ll just order that. Hmmm... do we know each other? You seem familiar.” Baekhyun says.

“W-what? I-I don’t think so...”

“Are you in ChungAng college?”

“Yeah, I am. Why?”

“We’re in the same campus! That’s why you seem familiar!” Baekhyun says.

“O-oh yeah.” The cashier says, he bites his lower lip and he looks down.

“I’m Baekhyun.” Baekhyun friendly says.

“Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol.” Chanyeol says and then he smiles, showing off his rows of with teeth.

‘Chanyeol is a cute name.’ Baekhyun thought deep in his mind.

--

The next day, Baekhyun doesn’t brings his books on his hands. Instead, he has his iPod playing his favorites songs with the earphone being plugged on his ears. His iPod is on his denim’s pocket. When he opens his locker, another rose is there. Baekhyun simply smiles before he takes the note that sticks on that rose.

“I’m glad that you love coffee because it’s more addictive than alcohol.”

Baekhyun looks around his surroundings, he has this puzzled expression all over his face. His lips pursed tightly.

‘How the hell this person knows that I love coffee?’

--

Baekhyun runs up to his class after break, he forgets it actually and he doesn’t want his lecturer to get mad at him. This always happens when he’s too hungry that he eats so much and he doesn’t care about anything at all. Although, he remembers that Kyungsoo told him to quicken the pace of his eating because the class will be up in 5 minutes. Baekhyun ignored it all the way and Kyungsoo just left.

 A thud then can be heard when Baekhyun bumps into a person. His books are falling to the ground and Baekhyun has to help.

“I’m so sorry.” The person says, he looks into Baekhyun’s eyes before he looks down. Baekhyun smiles, he remembers that person.

“It’s my fault, Chanyeol-shii.” Baekhyun says. Chanyeol twitches his eyes. Did I scared him?, Baekhyun wonders in his mind.

“N-no. It’s my fault.” Chanyeol insists before he stoods up. Baekhyun follows him as he gives Chanyeol back his book. Chanyeol bows and Baekhyun bows to him. It’s just Chanyeol is kind of awkward. Chanyeol quickly walk passes Baekhyun and Baekhyun turns around.

“Chanyeol?” Chanyeol turns around, looking at Baekhyun.

“Smile more often, you have beautiful rows of clean teeth to show off.” Chanyeol nods and Baekhyun smiles.  

--

That day after Baekhyun is done with his choir with Kyungsoo and another of his friend, Jongdae. Baekhyun walks to that certain coffeeshop. He’s not that addicted to coffee but it just tastes great. It gives him new ideas, besides of the possibility to watch Chanyeol from his seat. When Baekhyun enters, he sees Chanyeol talking to someone with bronze skin. Baekhyun quickly lines up for his coffee.

“Hello. What’s your order, sir?” Chanyeol says friendly.

“Hmm... Hazelnut latte, please. And don’t call me sir, you know my name.” Baekhyun answers.

“Okay, Baek. So, you don’t like caramel macchiato anymore?” Chanyeol asks. It’s just weird how Chanyeol can transform for a day. ‘Yesterday, he was so awkward.’ Baekhyun thinks.

“It will always be my favorite! I’m just kind of bored.”

“I see. So, only hazelnut latte? No donuts?”

“I’m full. You surely remember all of your customers orders, don’t ya?”

“W-What?”

“You know, I’ve only came here once and you know my last time’s order.”

“Well, it’s your first time coming here so I remember!” Chanyeol answers in glee. Chanyeol taps on his bronze skin’s friend shoulder’s and tells him Baekhyun’s order.

“Hey, for yesterday. Sorry that I bumped into you, I was late for my class.” Baekhyun suddenly says.

“That’s okay, it’s my fault too. I’m taller than you, I should’ve watch out more than you are.” Chanyeol answers.

“Oh boy, don’t talk about height! I hate that I’m so short!” Baekhyun pouts and Chanyeol laughs teasingly.

“You’re not that short, I’m too tall.”

“I’m only 174 cm, I guess? And you’re like 7 cm taller than me? That’s unfair.”

“Please, I’m 185 cm. Anyway, aren’t you a 1992 liner?”

“Yeah, and you are too?”

“Yup, I was born in November 1992.”

“That’s unfair! You’re youngerrr!!!!” Baekhyun answers.

“Hahaha, you’re cute when you’re mad! Anyway, here’s your order, shorty!” Chanyeol says. Baekhyun pouts and hits Chanyeol on his arm before leaving to take his seat.

--

It’s the fourth day of Baekhyun receiving flowers. Again, a red rose on the locker. Baekhyun almost squeals when he sees that because he thought that person is going to stop with this. So Baekhyun grabs it and sniffs it. The smell is quite different, there’s a perfume scent in it.

“The way you talk vibrates my heart. It sounds so good. Will you sing for me?” It reads that way. How the hell this person knows his voice? It’s cute but it keeps Baekhyun wondering who that person is.

“Then forever more, I’ll be the one to love you~ When you need me, I’ll be there to makes you smile~” Baekhyun sings out a little before he puts the flower back into his locker.  Deep down in his heart, he hopes that person who gives him flowers gets to hear that.

--

The next day, Kyungsoo stops by at his place. Kyungsoo has this eagle eyes that he just knows everything.

“Baek, what is this?” Asks Kyungsoo to Baekhyun in between his chores.

“What is what?” Baekhyun asks back.

“Just turn around.” Kyungsoo says. Baekhyun turns around and see his vase was being held by Kyungsoo.

“Roses?” Baekhyun says.

“From?”

“I don’t know. My secret admirer? Everyday, I’ll found the exact same rose in my locker.”

“So, it’s been... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Five days and you’re hiding this from me?”

“Yeah... I don’t mean to hide it but I’m scared that you would find this funny.” Baekhyun says as he scratches the back of his neck. With that, Kyungsoo laughs.

“This is like the cutest thing ever. Let me be you, I’d like to have a secret admirer too!” Kyungsoo says. That surprised Baekhyun as he looks up and smiles shyly.

“No way! That secret admirer is mine!” Baekhyun says.

“You know, if only that person gathers himself up just to confess to you.”

“Then I would have no secret admirer. And... how do you know it’s a boy?”

“A boy will gives roses, a girl will gives letters. Trust me, I know this.” Kyungsoo says and winks. It hits Baekhyun mentally, ‘A boy? That’s definitely what I wish.’

--

Another day of being too tired and Baekhyun decided to go to that coffeeshop. He brings on his iPod and novel. He also wears a cap backwards. Baekhyun is tired because of the assignments from his campus and he’s finally done! He is also wants to have his own quality time.

When Baekhyun enters the coffeeshop, Chanyeol is in his usual spot, busy with the customers. When Baekhyun is the one in front of him, he smiles. ‘So bright.’ Baekhyun thought. He replies back by smiling at him.

“The usual, please.” Baekhyun orders. Chanyeol then prepares it for him.

“You don’t usually bring a novel. What’s that?” Chanyeol says.

“Just a novel that I bought a month ago and because I have time today, I’ll just spend it by reading it.” Baekhyun says.

“I don’t know that you like to read. I thought you like comics.”

“No, I’m not into comics. Anyway, when will the coffeeshop close? I’m not really a fast reader and I don’t want to go home before I finish this.”

“9 pm. I don’t have anything to do afterwards. So, will you let me accompany you? I’ll give you a free caramel macchiato!” Chanyeol exclaims.

“Really?! I’d love it! Yeay! Lucky me!” Baekhyun says like a child.

“Stop your hoorays and take this. I still got work to do.” Chanyeol says. Baekhyun smiles as he mouths ‘Thank You’ to Chanyeol and Chanyeol replies...with a wink.

~***~

When Chanyeol is done with his work, he closes down the curtains and he sticks the ‘close’ sign on the door. Chanyeol looks much more cooler in his shirt rather than his uniforms.

“Here, your free coffee.” Chanyeol gives with a smile as he puts it down on Baekhyun’s table.

“Thank you, dude. I’ll just hope this will taste nice.” Baekhyun teases.

“Hey, I’m the cashier slash barista here! Hello! I make nice coffees!” Chanyeol who feels offended says. Baekhyun chuckles before he gulps in his second cup of hot caramel macchiato.

“This actually taste better than the usual. I order you to be the one who makes this for me!” Baekhyun says. Chanyeol laughs.

“That’s probably because you’re seeing my face when you drink that.”

“Pffttt.... You wish.”  Baekhyun says. All of a sudden, he smells something good. No, it’s not the damn coffee.

“Chanyeol, do you wear perfume?” Baekhyun asks.

“Yeah, does it smell bad? You don’t like it, don’t you? I-I’m sorry, I shouldn—“

“No, it smells great. I love it.” Baekhyun answers. Chanyeol looks down, his cheeks are burning from embarrasment.

“How’s your day? You seem tired.” Chanyeol asks with a bright smile on his face.

“I’ve just finished my assignments! And yup, I have to do chores everyday.”

“What? Chores everyday? Are you a neat freak?”

“My bestfriend is. He stops by to my place lately.”

“Kyungsoo, huh?”

“You know him?!”

“Yeah, he’s the son of my mom’s friend. We talk sometimes. Anyway, you said you want to read!”

“I’ve done reading it an hour ago.”

“WHAT?! YOU TRICKED ME?! I shouldn’t give you free coffee then!” Chanyeol says. Baekhyun laughs so hard.

“A cup of free coffee is worth it, dude.” Baekhyun answers.

“Whatever! I’m going.” Chanyeol says as he turns off the light.

“TURN THE LIGHT BACK ON! I’M SO SCARED!!!!!” Baekhyun screams in the coffeeshop.

“Revenge does taste good, doesn’t it?” Chanyeol smirks before both of them leaving the coffeeshop.

--

Baekhyun starts talking about Chanyeol to Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo smells something fishy. The way Baekhyun talks about Chanyeol is different, he’s excited. Kyungsoo never sees him in this way before. Baekhyun sometimes would spend his time being with Chanyeol, he also has Chanyeol’s number on his phone.

“So, you and Chanyeol are so close right now, huh?” Kyungsoo asks after he gulps on his bubble tea.

“Yeah, he’s a good friend and funny as hell!” Baekhyun says as he smiles.

“So, when is you two are going to date?” With that, Baekhyun spits his bubble tea out from his mouth. Kyungsoo shocks, he has OCD and Baekhyun spits?! Oh God....

“W-what? N-no, I’m not into him. Okay?” Baekhyun says.

“Denials~” Kyungsoo sings out and Baekhyun is ready to hit his friend.

“Hey, it’s too obvious! Even Chanyeol suddenly talks to me and it’s about you, I don’t understand why he---“

“Wait, he’s talking about me? To you?” Baekhyun asks with a puzzled expression.

“Oops. I shouldn’t have said that.” Kyungsoo says with his O_O eyes and he’s being a derp.

“Tell me the truth!” Baekhyun says.

“Uhmmm... RUN!!!!!!!!” Kyungsoo says as he runs out from the bubble tea shop.

“WAIT KYUNGSOO! WAITTTTTT!” Baekhyun says.

--

Baekhyun doesn’t feel happy. He gets B- for his assignment. B MINUS. ‘What the hell is B minus? What does it has to be exist?’ Baekhyun thought. So Baekhyun just kicks the locker and everyone looks at him. Baekhyun sighs.

When Baekhyun opens his locker, there he finds another red rose. Baekhyun takes it and sniffs at it. The scent of this person’s perfume is stronger than the usual. Baekhyun takes the notes from the flower.

“Through this note, I’ll say that this is my last rose for you.
If you found who I am, that would be great.
If not, that’s fine too^^
I’ve given you more clues than I should have.
And I’ve been secretly loving you.”

That moment, Baekhyun just wants to hang himself on a big tree in the campus’s park. B minus for his assignment has ruined his life, and now? His secret admirer is gone too? It’s too much. So Baekhyun kisses the top of the rose, puts the rose back to his locker and leaves with a sad smile on his face.

--

Kyungsoo notices that Baekhyun changed lately, the usual cheerful Baekhyun has just turned into a-not-in-the-mood Baekhyun . It happens since two days ago, he keeps on nagging.

“Baek, seriously, what happened to you?” Kyungsoo asks.

“Nothing.” Baekhyun mumbles, it’s almost inaudible anyway.

“You lied. Seriously, what happened?”

“My secret admirer... he stops sending me roses on the day I got B minus from my lecturer. I felt so sad so I decided to meet Chanyeol, but he wasn’t there.” Baekhyun answers.

“Oh God, why don’t you tell me?”

“Because I’m scared that you’ll think that it’s stupid? But it just breaks me and I hate that.” Baekhyun says. Kyungsoo quickly wraps his arm around Baekhyun’s body, pulling him into a warm hug and Baekhyun cries. Tears flowing out from his eyes.

“You always think too much, Baek. I won’t be laughing at you when you feel sad.” Kyungsoo says.

“Is Chanyeol avoiding me?” Baekhyun asks to Kyungsoo.

“I think you have to find that by yourself, Baek. I don’t want to interfere you love life.” Kyungsoo says.

“Love life? What are you talking about I—“

“You like him, I know. Now, you better stop your cries and go with me.”

“Where?”

“To find Chanyeol.” Kyungsoo says, he gently wraps his hand on Baekhyun’s with a warm smile on his face.

~***~

Kyungsoo brings Baekhyun to the coffeeshop. When they arrived, Chanyeol’s friend, Jongin welcomes them.

“Jongin, have you seen Chanyeol lately?” Baekhyun asks.

“No, I haven’t. He’s sick probably. My boss said he wants to take a break for a few days.” Jongin answers.

“Do you know where Chanyeol house is?” Kyungsoo asks.

“O-oh, I know.” Jongin says.

“Where?” Baekhyun asks. Jongin spills Chanyeol’s adress as Baekhyun jots down in his little note book.

“Okay, Jongin. Thank you.” Baekhyun says and smiles friendly.

“Thank you for the time, Jongin-shii.” Kyungsoo says, he bows to Jongin and Baekhyun has his eyebrows furrowed. When Kyungsoo turns around, Baekhyun grips on his hand and whispers into his ear, “It’s not the right time to seduce someone, get that?” And Kyungsoo only giggles shyly.

~***~

When they got into the address, they got their jaw drops because Chanyeol’s place is big. Kyungsoo never comes to Chanyeol’s place and this is way too far from what he’s expected. They ring the door bell and a girl comes out.

“Hello,  who are you guys?” The girl asks.

“Hmm.. We’re looking for Park Chanyeol. Is it the right address?” Kyungsoo asks.

“Yeah, it is. Unfortunately Chanyeol isn’t here. I’m his noona, by the way. So, is there anyone whose name is Baekhyun?” Chanyeol’s noona asks.

“Yes?”

“Here’s something for you.” Chanyeol’s noona says. It’s a red envelope.

“Thank you so much for the time, noona.” Kyungsoo says and bows. Baekhyun is doing the same thing.

“Open that!!!!” Kyungsoo says to Baekhyun. Baekhyun quickly rips the envelope, revealling a white paper.

“Meet me at Signore.
8 pm. Dress well. – C”

“So, Kyungsoo. Will you lend me a shirt?” Baekhyun asks cutely, almost doing a bbuing bbuing.

“Anything for you Baek.” Kyungsoo answers.

  ~***~

Baekhyun arrives at 8 pm and the place is lovely. A waiter takes him to a private room upstair, he sees Chanyeol already there with his suit. Baekhyun feels shy of what he’s wearing and damn, he’s going to blame Kyungsoo.

“Hey.” Chanyeol says.

“Hey. I haven’t seen you around.” Baekhyun says.

“Busy.” Chanyeol answers.

The waiter comes bringing a book of menus to them. They ordered a simple pizza with the toppings of 4 different types of cheese. It only takes 15 minutes and it gets Baekhyun excited. Today, he just meets Chanyeol after a long time of not seeing him.

“How’s life?” Chanyeol asks.

“Bad. I got B minus. My secret admirer not sending roses and you’re gone.” Baekhyun answers bitterly.

“Secret admirer?” Chanyeol asks.

“Yeah, he used to send me roses. Everyday. Well, he sent me 13.” Baekhyun answers.

“You count? Wow.” Chanyeol says.

“I kept all of them and put it in my place. I know, that’s weird.” Baekhyun says.

“No, it’s not. You treasure that person’s gifts.” Chanyeol answers.

“Because that person should know that his notes makes me happy.” Baekhyun says. Chanyeol looks down and scratches the back of his neck, Baekhyun sees something wrong in Chanyeol. Chanyeol seems nervous? Yeah, maybe. Once they’re done, Chanyeol takes him to a garden behind the restaurant. Baekhyun follows and he finds a garden full of roses.

“Whoa! This is so great!” Baekhyun says, he twirls around in happiness.

“I know that you’ll like this.” Chanyeol answers. Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun’s hand, interlocking their fingers. Baekhyun feels shy, he looks down to the ground. When they go around the bright garden, they stop when the found a bouquet of roses.

“Bouquet?” Baekhyun asks.

“Take that.” Chanyeol answers. Baekhyun follows, he takes the bouquet, sniffs on the flowers.

“Now, count!” Chanyeol says.

“1....2....3....4....5...6......7....8...9...10.....11....12...13... 13 flowers?” Baekhyun asks.

“And I’ve been secretly loving you.” Chanyeol says.

“YOU’RE THAT SECRET ADMIRER?!” Baekhyun screams and Chanyeol nods. Baekhyun quickly pulls Chanyeol into a hug.

“I can’t hold my secret anymore, can I?” Chanyeol says.

“How can you do that? I-I mean, you could have just ask me.” Baekhyun says.

“Hey, you’re famous. Lots of guys and girls like you. Even that Zitao guy with his wushu stick has a crush on you. If he finds out I like you, I’ll end up dead.” Chanyeol says.

“Zitao is not my type, okay? Urgh, you’re stupid. I hate you.” Baekhyun says.

“Princess, I’m sorry that I’ve hurt you. But let me do something to you.”

“What is it?”

“I want to make you mine.” Chanyeol answers. Baekhyun couldn’t hide his embarrassment.

“I’m all yours, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun says. Baekhyun tip toes and kisses Chanyeol right on his lips. Chanyeol smirks into the kiss before releasing it.

“Kyungsoo never tells that you’re straightforward.” Chanyeol says. Baekhyun chuckles.

“I’m only straightforward with someone I like.” Baekhyun winks and Chanyeol laughs. That moment, Baekhyun feels happy and... dumbfounded. Because he has thought about searching that secret admirer but that person is always with him.