Rain

Stormy

 

He looked out from the bus shelter at the relentless rain. Everything was bright for a moment as the sky flashed a brilliant white. Besides the pouring rain, and occasional deep thunderous roaring from the gods of the skies, he heard nothing else.
 
Despite the unnerving rain that continued to fall, he was calm. Or as calm as he could be; he continued to wait. He could hear himself breath. He could feel his pulse. That was the only indication that he was still alive in this storm. Another thunderous roar, louder than most, longer than the rest.
 
Someone up there must really be angry, he mused.
 
He adjusted his unfaltering gaze to the scene in front of him:  just pouring rain from the sky, rushing waters down the street, and trees flailing around from the sheer force of the elements.
 
Oh wow, what a bright flash! Oh damn, the thunder that bellowed out after. It was quite surprising how this storm held up.
 
He found this storm quite calming actually. He didn't mean for himself to be stuck in this storm, under this bus shelter. Actually he could've been home by now. He had thought about racing it - ah actual claps of thunder, not just roaring now - racing it home but opted out.
 
It would have been dangerous if anything happened along the way. It was dark, that was a given; the rain made everything slippery and despite his balance and abilities he decided not to risk it.
 
So there he sat waiting, not sure for what quite frankly, nor how long. But he sat, cross legged, on the bench inside the bus shelter. He was lucky - he thought. He had eaten before getting outside, so hunger wasn't a problem. Sure it was raining like no tomorrow, but he was warm.
 
It wasn't as if he was bundled up. He only had sweats, a hoodie and a light jacket on. It was the fact that the rain wasn't cold. It was just rain.
 
So he sat. And sat. His eyes closed naturally, having gotten used to the sight before him. Every now and then, he would get shaken up a bit as the sky roared more ferociously than most times. A thunderous clap stronger than the rest as it shook the ground.
 
The rain would fall harder after it, but soon it would slow again. That was the pattern he had gotten used to. He had no way of keeping track of time. His phone had inconveniently run out of battery before the storm, leaving him stranded. But he figured no one would get signal from this bad storm anyways. And who would be willing to get him.
 
Oh that's strange, there is a car rushing by. But he knows they're in rush, zooming by heading towards shelter, not noticing the figure in the distance.
 
The bus shelter shakes with the ground as the sky shook once more. He open his eyes at this as this sensation was new. The rain had let down slightly - but sill unending.
 
Once again he started into what was becoming a flooded road with the way the rain kept pouring. Nothing had changed. The trees still looked lifeless as ever, the water now overflowing, pooling but nonetheless rushing away. The rain made it difficult to see far, but the periodic flashes helped.
 
As the sky kept flashing, he began to see something change in the distance. The sky flashed a brilliant pink, and he could see the figure clearly now. It was a girl he thought, as long hair stuck ungraciously on her face.
 
A drowned cat, he mused but quickly dismissed. If someone was in the rain in this weather he should take action. He signaled to the person to come to the shelter, hoping she'd see.
 
Luckily, she started to walk towards the shelter. As she arrived, he notices that there was a backpack on her back. It made him curious as to where she came from. He had a bag of his own, a duffle bag from practice.
 
She walked into the shelter, water dripping into a pool - though the rainwater was in the shelter anyways due to the gaps near the floor. She looked up at the man before her. She would talk, but she realizes that she is shaking too much to function. The rain had taken a toll on her.
 
By now the rain really started to slow, but still wouldn't stop. He eyed the figure in front of him, scanning her from head to toe before returning to her face. The water dripping lessened but she remained soaked. And cold, he thought as she appeared to be shaking.
 
He frowned, this wouldn't do.
 
"Here" he started, speaking for the first time since the storm. It was the only then that he had the need to; "give me your bag."
 
Thankfully, the girl obeyed, and silently took off the bag and handed it to him.
 
"Do you have anything to change into?" he questions, hoping maybe for a positive answer.
 
But he only got a head shake. Indicating that her response was opposite to what he hoped. He sighed; he would have to do this the difficult way.
 
"Hey, could you take off your jacket? And whatever's underneath. It's not good to keep wearing the wet clothes."
 
She stares at him with wide eyes. Then what am I supposed to wear? She questions in her head. And as if telepathically, he answers her question.
 
"Don't worry; I won't let you wear nothing. You can have my sweater."
 
And before she could mutter anything in protest, he slid off his jacket and pulled his sweater over his head.
 
Once again, as if telepathically he answered the question lingering in her head.
 
"You can go sit in that corner. I promise to close my eyes and turn the other way while you change. So just take the hoodie okay? I can't do anything about bottoms though."
 
He sounded apologetic. But she felt worse. He didn't need to do this. And he needed feel sorry for not having anything to fix her soaked jeans. Sure they were uncomfortable, but at least now she wasn't stuck in the rain now.
 
She gave him a smile before shuffling off to the corner of the shelter. He handed her the sweater and closed his eyes.
 
He turned himself back to his surroundings and focused only on sound. Now, in addition to the soft falling of the rain - that was finally letting up - he could her yelps and squeaks that escaped the rainy silence as he guessed that it was from the attempts at trying to peel off her soaked clothes.
 
Then a new sound escaped. He hadn't dared open his eyes yet, as the mystery girl hadn't said anything, and once again he was still cautious in not wanting to create discomfort for either of them.
 
He tuned into the shuffling. Finally he got it - zippers. The girl was opening her bag. Then he heard loud splashes of water - the girl was wringing the water out of her clothes. And finally the silence - save the rain and occasional noises - was broken.
 
"Umm... Thank you... Err stranger. You can open your eyes now."
 
And he did as told. She had changed into his sweater, and tied up her hair in an attempt to slow the dripping. He frowned.
 
"Wait a moment; I think I have a towel."
 
He got his own bag, and shuffled around looking for said item. She too shuffled around in her bag.
 
"Aha!"
 
She turned her head to his direction. He saw him proudly holding a towel.
 
"Here, dry your hair. I used it before... But it's all I've got. And you need to dry it."
 
This time he didn't say it with the same apologetic tone. It was firm.
 
"Thank you..... Are you cold? I have some warm tea. Here."
 
She holds up a thermos to him. It's dry. He looks over at the bag as well, it's dry too. She had quite the resistant bag, his inner voice joked around.
 
They traded items. Silence fell upon them once more. And once more the rain picked up. He swore he heard her sigh.
 
He held on to his warm up of tea, the mug on the bench. He turned to look over at the girl. She had a towel turban wrapped nicely on her head. Her gaze lacked any readable emotion. It seemed that she was just staring into space.
 
"You should drink some tea too, warm yourself up. And thank you for the tea."
 
She listens wordlessly. Picking up the mug and pouring herself a cup. He is right thought, the tea does make her warmer. It's nice. So is the sweater. She feels the warmth from the sweater and tea seep through her.
 
A smile plays on her lips. She is finally relatively comfortable again. She was calm as well. Tea had that affect. So did the rain, as long as she wasn't in it. And the raven haired stranger’s sweater.
 
His nice smelling sweater, she though.
 
She took a deep breath. And exhaled. The sweater smelt faintly of lavenders detergent with a hint of a man's cologne. Probably a dark, fresh one, but perhaps that was just from the mix of the scent of rain.
 
They both stared into the distance. A calm silence fell between them. It would've have seemed as if they had dozed off in that position, until one spoke.
 
"Umm..."
 

"Hmm?" he doesn't open his eyes but answer anyways.
 
"Uhh... I'm Renee."
 
"Oh, Hi."
 
Silence. Should he introduce himself too? Is this small talk?
 
"I'm Tao."

 


Yep, thats the ending. It wasn't really a story. No plot, nothing happened. Just a whole lot of descriptions about the rain. Funny is all the rain changing from heavy to light rainfall, the flashing of lightning and thunder happened in real time.

Did anyone guess that it was Tao? :) 

 

Hope you enjoyed, leave me a comment!