Over the next few years

Fulfill your promise

"T-Tomorrow?!" you sputtered out surprised. Taemin bit the corner of his bottom lip and nodded steadily. "Why tomorrow? Why not before your school starts?" you asked him in disbelief. "Since i'm going to America, my parents think it's better to leave early, so that I can learn the American peoples' culture. And work on my English before school starts." you took in the information, and processed it inside of your head. "I guess it's better this way. He said he'd come back to me. Girls better not touch him." a hard look rose up on your face.

"Don't even worry about girls, I'll be attending an all boys private school." he said, knowing what that face was all about. "What, so he's a mind reader now? Tsk." you gave him a scornful look. "No, I am not reading your mind, I just know you too well." your boyfriend, taking his arm and clung it around your neck, bent down and rubbed your noses together. You couldn't change what was already decided, although you wished with all of your might that you could. It was 11 O'Clock in the morning now. You knew that no matter what you did, time would wait for no one, forcing you two to separate.

You had to take advantage of everything right now, doing all that you could with Taemin before he left you behind for four years. Taemin stopped in the middle of the brick pathway, both hands resting on your shoulders. He his lips while studying yours, quickly, he flicked his gaze up to your eyes. You stared back, thinking, "Wait, is he-?" Taemin fluttered his eyes shut and grabbed your left cheek with his hand, all the while leaning in closer to your face.

"Tag!" you yelled out, hand brushing his arm while turning away from his gentle fingers. He watched you run about 10 yards away from him. "Mehrong!" you teased while a red tongue took a peek out from your pink lips. Taemin faked a small laugh. His arm rubbed the back of his neck as he looked down, faux grin on his face. "Two years later and still no kiss. Do we really have to wait until I leave?" the young teen thought. "Aish, pabo, pabo paaabo!"  the voice inside of your head sang over and over again. The sparkle in your eye disappeared when you heard footsteps coming towards you in a fast pace. Here, begins the final memories, you would like Taemin to take with him.

The next hours breezed passed you two. You felt like you haven't had this much fun since your little girl days. (The days where you didn't have to worry about stupid things like make-up or clothing) You both decided to take your time eating lunch, catch a movie (Your choice surprised Taemin, choosing action over a girly film), shop around at the mall (Picking up a custom made couple necklace) then eating a late dinner. By the time you two left the restaurant, it was nine at night.

You two hated the fact that you were on your way back home, so to stall Father Time, you took the long way home. About half way through the journey to get back, you stopped to take a rest on a bench in the park, next to the fountain. Both of you sat there, Taemin's left arm around you, as you used him as a human pillow. You felt his heart beat, just like the first time you two hugged across that plastic table. His head tilted to the side, topping yours. It was relaxing; the way his ribcage expanded and deflated as his breathing went on.

"Yes, this time for sure." the male's conscience told him. "Hey." he said to you, leaning away a bit, leaving the impression that you should follow his action. You did, sitting up straight and tracing one of your curls. "I hope you know that," he paused, taking a gentle hold of both your cheeks. "I love you." he finished, sealing the truth with a kiss on the lips. His lips were soft and gentle, pressing lightly against your own. His lips had an odd banana taste to it, but you didn't mind, bananas were now your favorite fruit, if it meant kisses would always be like this.

The silver heart hanging from a chain around your neck gleamed under the moonlight, "Taemin".

~~~~~

"Now you made sure you have everything right? Toothbrush, toothpaste, underwea-"

"I have everything mom." Taemin cut in. The laughter of six people only blended in with the busy rush of flyers and mixed sounds as luggage dragged across the linoleum flooring. "I made myself a Facebook the other day, once you land I think you should make one too. You know; so we can keep in touch more efficiently." you told your boyfriend. "Got it." he replied with a glowing smile and fingers forming the "OK" sign.

Your future in-laws were the first to say their goodbyes. You could see tears forming in the eyes of both his parents. Then, your mother and father, wishing him a safe trip. Your father taking a bit longer during their hug, it looked like he was telling him something. Taemin let out an awkward and fake laugh as they pulled away from each other. All eyes were on you, waiting for you to walk up to the traveler. You kicked at the invicible rock on the ground in front of you, not looking forward to the future motions.

The world around you started spinning. No, it wasn't a "feeling" you had or anything, Taemin had run up to you and picked you up from your waist. Turning in circles that made you scream a bit. Nobody else heard though, the place was too loud so it didn't matter how loud you screamed. Finally, he let you down and crushed you into a bear hug so tight, you couldn't even lift your arms to his waist to hug him back. You just closed your eyes and took in the final moments you had with him. Taemin let go. He kissed the crown of your head, middle of your forehead, tip of your nose, then took his time with your lips.

Your eyelids painted once again with the sudden burst of light. "I didn't even see them take the camera out of the house today." you thought, knowing Taemin was thinking the same when your foreheads tapped each other.

"Flight 43 to New York, now boarding passengers." a woman announced over the intercom.

Eight years together wasn't long enough. Four years apart, is not quick enough. An ocean was keeping you two from seeing each other every day in person. You damned the good education New York gave to it's high school students. Reluctantly, the boy slowly pried his arms from your body. You two kept your gaze for as long as you could, before Taemin's dad grabbed his arm and nodding toward the terminal.

"I'll be back to be with you." the blonde said, tears forming as he stumbled a bit walking backwards. "Taemin! I love you!" you proclaimed in front of everybody watching. "I-I love you too." he said, whispering your name under his warm breath. He tugged the small backpack, and threw it over his shoulder. 

"Until next time, goodbye." he concluded, heading for the entrance of the terminal. Once he reached the ticket person, he looked back to give a sorrowful smile and a wave. Then, he disappeared from your sight.

~~~~~

"Did he walk in yet?"

"Yeah, go ahead."

"I'll be back when my goal is accomplished. You know what to do."

"Of course I do. See you in a couple of years."

"Bye."

"Goodbye."

~~~~~

Just like you had instructed him to do, Taemin made a Facebook account right when he landed, and waited for his driver. Every day for the past two years, you chatted with each other despite the time differences. Both of you alternated who would sleep late, and who would be up early to talk. He told you stories about what he has done in America, describing the tall, green woman standing on the island next to where his apartment is. You died a little inside when he would tell fictional stories saying that he got mugged and beat up that day. You thought he just adapted to the American humor.

But things started to change over time. Taemin's Freshman and Sophomore years, he went to an all boy's private school, then he transfered to a nice public school where he met a lot of new people. Incuding girls. His messages to you started shrinking in size. Your talks became less frequent. Maybe once or twice a week. Taemin had told you that public school gave out more homework and you had to study harder. Well, that's what he went there for right? You believed it.

The less time you two spent talking, the more pictures you saw of him and his friends grew. Seems like he's tagged in something everyday. Status, picture, whatever it was, if it involved girls you weren't happy. In recent pictures, Taemin wasn't wearing his couple necklace. Despite being born in America, you grew up only learning Korean. It killed you when you couldn't read your own boyfriend's status that was in english. Something like, "Had a great night at the festival with my girl and the crew." 

You ignored it.

Everyday since the start of Junior year, you've complained to your best friend at lunch. "This is too much like a drama." Gwiboon said to you. "Well, we can't do anything about it, now can we? Besides, studying abroad will be helpful in the future, when we open our dance studios worldwide." you replied, poking at the kimchi sitting on top of your rice. "I guess so. Can you believe it? He has 400 plus friends on Facebook now! You must be glad he has friends now right?" you shrugged. "I guess so. Tonight I think i'm going to talk with my Minnie."

"Do it. Hey make sure to study for the big tests tonight too. Remember what Ms. Kim said? These last two years of high school are really important to get into a college." Key joined the conversation. "Yeah, yeah. I'm naturally smart. Don't worry about me, i'd be worried for yourself." Key raised a fist to you and shook it in the air. Your table of friends laughed.

While waiting for the sun to rise on the other side of the world, you studied. You left your lap top on, just in case Taemin woke up early. When that green dot flashed on, you dropped your textbook and fingers frantically tapped up against the buttons. But before you even sent your message-

~~~~~

"What are you saying, he isn't listening to you? What do you mean by that?" your dad's voice containing anger and shock. "We told him to stay in that private school, but he rebelled. He wanted to go to a private school and now he's up in this mess." another man said over the speaker of the house phone. "B-But what about our daughter? The businesses?" your mothers voice quivered. "We would like to keep up the business deal; but as for-"

~~~~~

Taemin Lee: "Let's break up."
You: "What are you saying?"
Taemin Lee: "I'm saying that we shouldn't be together anymore."
You: "But...."
Taemin Lee: "But nothing."
Taemin Lee: (Idle)

You sat there at your desk. Endless tears streamed down your cheek and dark patches on your night shirt appeared. His words finally hit you, and when it did, it hit you hard. "How could he betray me like that..... What happened to all that he swore to give to me? Empty promises, empty promises..."  You said shoving your puffy, flushed face to the caps of your knees. Your breathing became heavy and the silent weeping grew louder and louder because you just didn't care anymore. If you couldn't have your best friend, you wouldn't settle for anybody else.

Your Facebook feed refreshed itself. 

"Taemin Lee went from in a relationship, to single." then "Taemin Lee went from single, to in a relationship with Taeyeon Kim."

You got out of your chair and headed straight for the corkboard above your bed, ripping it off of the wall and onto the floor. The corkboard held pictures of your now ex-boyfriend. You took each picture and stared at them each for a good five minutes. There were more than 30 photos.

"It sounds like she found out." your mom said with pity. "Let her be, after this she'll have a spirit stronger than anyone's in the world. This is just a phase in her life. She can get through this." your dad told his wife. "Since she's going through this, god has something better in mind for her."

~~~~~

Junior year passed without another word to, or about Lee Taemin. The end of Senior year then rolled around. Your mood definitely increased within a good period of time. "Did you get accepted into a college? I think we got into the same one!" Gwiboon asked you. "Seoul Academy of Arts, our dream." you smiled back excitedly.

 

 

A/N: MY HEART HURTS EVERYBODY, IT HURTS, IT HURTS. I almost cried when writing this. I can't believe it T^T Last chapter will be updated tomorrow! Stay tuned! I give some credit to my cousin Kathryn, helping me with some grammar and wording. lol@you Kathryn