the end...

Forever, you will be in my heart

 

I was in class.

It was my geometry class to be exact.

When I got the text I sat there in disbelief for a second. It was a number I knew very well.

The hospital.

“Jonghyun put your phone away.”

I looked up at the teacher and to all of the faces that were turned to me. I could feel my tears flowing out of my eyelids already.

“Jong-“

I didn’t listen to the rest. I didn’t even grab my bag. I got up and ran out of the room, dropping my phone in the doorway on my way out. But that was the least of my worries.

I skidded down the 4 flights of stairs and all the way out of my building. My mind had completely gone numb, stopped working, turned off. The wind whisked through my hair as I ran like my life was in danger. Sadly, someone else’s was instead.

Five and a half miles… all the way to the hospital. I never stopped, every moment I wasted was a precious one. Crashing through the doors, I ran up to the desk to get his room number. I screamed at the lady to tell me what it was, earning scared looks from people in the waiting room, when she said it was family only. I scared her into giving me the room number, and ran till my entire body was shaking.

My heart had already been shattered… but when I saw his mangled body… those shattered pieces had been spat on and  been swept away and thrown out. He could barely keep his eyes open, blood smeared his chest. Without thinking I walked up to him, stunned.

“Jjong…” he said weakly.

I swallowed hard. “K-Key.” The tears that had been falling multiplied. I put my forehead to his and brushed his lips with mine.

He was going to die… and I can do absolutely nothing.

“I love y-you Jong-j-hyun.”

I processed his completely different voice.

I watched my tears start to drip onto his face. “I love you too Key,” I half whispered and half cried at the same time. He coughed harshly, each cough shaking his entire body. Once he was done, I could tell him time was up.

“It hurts so much,” he whispered, barely audible.

I was just standing there now.

Looking at my little Kim Kibum.

My Key.

My innocent boyfriend who was now covered in his own blood.

The nurses whispered to me, “We’ll leave you two for the last few moments.”

That killed me.

I panicked.

“Key, I love you so much and I want you to wait for me okay?” I was acting deperate. No, I was deperate. The one thing I loved, the one thing that I lived for, my entire life was crumbling before my eyes. I was selfish. So selfish. But I didn’t care. This wasn’t about what I was.

He smiled weakly, “Jjong. Let’s sing the song.” He closed his eyes and opened his mouth.

Together we sang our song. Our song that was palying when we shared our first kiss years ago.

oh my darling… how much I love you… I cannot… live without you…”

Key’s voice started to get slurred and quieter.

 I kept on singing for him. I felt like it was my duty to make sure he heard the last words before his last breath.

You will always… always my darling...be in my heart.”

I kissed him on the forehead and held his hand. This time he stammered as he forced the words out.

I I I l-love y-you Jjong.”

“I love you too.” And then he was gone.