Regret

Willing Promise

Soobin’s POV

I was in Haemin’s apartment on my own. It was as if I went back to the time when I first went to Taiwan with Donghae. I remember clearly that time was the hardest point of my life. Even though I didn’t show it, I really felt very alone. I didn’t know Donghae well, but I still had to fulfill my duty towards him. Waking up early, cooking for him. To be honest, I have never woken up so early in my life. I was always one of the last in my family to wake up.

When Donghae went to work, I had to stay home alone. I seemed like an independent girl as my Appa said, but I’m still a girl, someone who wants to be loved, who is conscious of how I look and how I’m treating others. Donghae had never really responded to whatever I said and he was a little cold towards me at first. Always when I saw him, I felt a little afraid, a little cornered.

However, as time went by, I got used to it, to being alone, to find something to do. Donghae on the other hand, became more attentive, more caring. Maybe because of Donghae’s sudden change in attitude, sudden change in treating me, I slowly fell for him. I realized I fell so hard that I cannot stand without him.

Once again, I pulled out the photo album. I saw how we were, how loving, how in love we were. I could see from our eyes, our expression towards each other. Are we still like this now? Will Donghae still look at me like this? I haven’t seen his loving side for a long time. Donghae’s charming smile which always made me blush, his gentle actions which always made my heart melt, I miss those.

I guess I was really in my thoughts that time flew past and I woke up from my thoughts from the rattling of keys and opening of door.

“Soobin?” Haemin’s voice sounded in the house as I walked into the living room. She smiled at me as she the lights with 2 bags of food. Only she knows that I need this food treatment now. She still remembers.

Whenever something got to me, I will always eat as much as I could. Even though I’d regret the next day, I just ate. From fried chicken to pasta to ice cream to cakes. Whatever food there is, I’d sweep it all into my stomach.

With all the food spread out on the table, Haemin and I started eating. It looked like we’re having a 10 course meal. The table was filled with food. Haemin know not to ask now, but judging from her character, after eating, she’d definitely interrogate me.

After around 2 hours, we finished all the food on the table and I was so full. Even though I have 2 to feed, all these food is really too much. Haemin and I lay on the floor, too full to move. I guess we went all the way this time, finishing everything on the plates.

“So ready to talk?” Haemin asked.

“What do you want to know?” I asked since I don’t know if she knows anything, but as we’ve been friends for long, I guess I really cannot hide anything from her. When you don’t tell her that you have a problem, she would never know, but when you tell her, she’d care all the way till it’s solved.

“Why are you here staying with me and not your parents?” She asked, an easy question to start.

“I stayed with them for the past week. I told them I’m going back to Taiwan.” I said.

“Then why don’t you return to Taiwan?” She asked. When I told her about it, I didn’t really go into detail, but just briefly told her something happened between Donghae and I but she doesn’t know exactly what had happened between us.

“I fought with Donghae.” I said. I guess I always need to be probed about this conversation. I guess it’s not easy to tell people my husband thinks I cheated on him.

“Why did you guys fight?”

“He thought that….” I can’t continue. I felt like he hurt my pride somehow. He hurt me with those words he said when I told him I’m pregnant. Haemin and I sat In silence for a few minutes before I took in a deep breath and decided to tell her everything. I need to get it out of my system before I really breakdown.

“He thought that I cheated with my colleague who was Korean and well built. He said it a few times, but one night, he just exploded. I’m pregnant with his child and he think it’s someone else’s. I tried to explain… but he just won’t listen. He won’t… listen.” I broke down, remembering his words, his expression, his anger and how he just won’t believe what I said.

“It’s ok now. We’ll find a way to solve this problem.” Haemin pulled me into her arms and comforted me as always like how we’re always there for each other.

That night, I cried myself to sleep. I felt like I poured out all of my troubles that I’ve been keeping inside for the past week. However, even though I’m really hurt by Donghae, the only things I can remember about what he did was the happy things we did together. It makes me miss him more and more. Even if I can just hear his voice, I’d be satisfied.

Everyday, I stare at my phone, hoping it’ll just ring and his name would flash on the screen. However, I waited and waited, but there was nothing.

End of Soobin’s POV

Donghae’s POV

“WHAT?!” Taeri exclaimed so loudly that the bustling restaurant became quiet and everyone turned to look at us.

“You have to lower your volume.” I said and Taeri looked around before she realized what she had done and apologised, nodding her head at most people before they went back to what they were once doing.

“You want me to tell you where Soobin is when you’re the one who made her leave? To think you said she cheated on your and that the child in her was not yours. How could you Donghae?” She said, her once playful and cheerful smile was gone and she looked all serious and in control.

“I was out of my mind. I just exploded. For a period of time I kept seeing her around with Siwon and they looked so close, maybe even intimate. I thought she was cheating behind me since she always return home late.” I explained.

“Soobin would never cheat on you. She e-mails us at time and she said she felt that you don’t pay much attention to her so she is burying herself in work. She works till late at night so that maybe she can see you at home and that she can place her mind on other things rather than on you. No matter how independent she looks, she’s a girl after all, she needs love, care and reassurance. We always told her you might cheat on her since you’re so good looking and there are bound to be people who go after you. However, she would always say that you would not do that and she trusts you.” Taeri said.

I looked at her and absorbed all that she said. Even her friends said that I might cheat on her, but she said she trust me. With just one good looking guy hanging around her, I get so uptight and paranoid, but there are many good looking ladies around me and I agree, but she trust me being around these kind of people all day.

“Why?” I asked. Why would she trust me?

“We also want to know why, but it all concludes to one answer. She loves you. She loves you so much she cannot control herself.” Taeri said. In no time, lunch time was almost over and everyone was streaming back to their offices.

“I have to go. I’m sorry I cannot be of much help. She didn’t contact me. I don’t know where she could have gone to. She might have gone back to Taiwan? But before seeing her, I suggest you think about what I’ve said just now. Can you give her what she is giving you now or more?” Taeri said before leaving me sitting in the restaurant alone.

Only by meeting Taeri, I had actually realize so much things about Soobin. However, Taeri helped me a lot. She gave me the name and numbers of the other 2 close friends of hers. I guess after looking for the 2 of them and there’s no news, it’ll be up to myself to look for her.

I called the first name on the list, Hyuna. I remember she was more strong wiled and independent. I think she’ll bit my head off when she knows what I had did to her best friend. I took a deep breathe before dialing that number.

“Yoboseyo, Hyuna speaking”

“This is Donghae.” I said, hoping she’ll remember who I am. The last time I had came to Korea was a year and a half ago.

“Donghae? Soobin’s husband Donghae?” Her voice questioning.

“Yes. I was hoping you could help me.” I said and it was silent for a while that I had thought she hung up.

“I guess it should be fine. When do you want? I’m a little busy this week.” She said.

“Next Monday? Is it ok for you?” I asked.

Hyuna sounded really different from the time which I’ve met her in person. I remember Soobin telling me a little about her friends. Hyuna was like the motherly figure among them who takes care of them and tells them to stay healthy and stuff only mothers would do. She’s a childcare principal and her childcare was quite known In their area. She must be really good.

Walking down the streets, I kept hoping that maybe I can meet Soobin here. Maybe we can bump into each other and then I can explain. I feel so stupid for not listening to what she said. Why was I so rash, so hot headed? I was never like this. I must have scared her that’s why she left. What monster have I turned into?

Even though I’m in Korea, eating authentic Korean food, I really miss the food which Soobin made for me. It has the taste of Home. As I ate my take away food alone, in the hotel, I felt so lonely. Soobin must have felt horrible at the beginning when I didn’t care much about her. How miserable it felt to eat alone and from the time she came to Taiwan up until she left, I don’t think I’d ever ate with her much. I had always been busy with work and neglected her.

I always had the mindset that as long as I can provide for her, allowing her to eat well and dress well, she’d be happy, but Taeri was right. She’s a girl after all. She needs care and concern. Even though she doesn’t show it, but it’s the nature of every girl. If only I had come to know about all these earlier. Maybe we would not end up in this situation now.

Soobin had been such a good wife, taking care of all my needs and never complaining about how tired she was or how lonely she felt. She kept it all in her heart. How could someone as kind and gentle as her cheat on me? What had I been thinking about? I must call her and find her and tell her what an idiot I have been to her.

However, I realized I had left the letter back in Taiwan. I had forgotten to bring it and I can’t contact Soobin at all. I guess this is the path I have to go. Only by finding her, can I bring her back.

End of Donghae’s POV