Final

On a Ferris Wheel

 

 

I looked out from the Ferris wheel car. Things seemed so much clearer from up here and the problems I had seemed to have found the solution.

I glanced over to the opposite end of the car. I guy sat there staring out with deep thoughts. As nosey as I was, I went over and sat next to him.

“Hi” I said.

“Hi” he replied adjusting himself in his seat.

“Why are you here?” I asked him. He didn’t give me answer.

“Then do you want to hear a story?” I asked and still he didn’t even let out a peep.

“There was once a really naïve girl. She believed in everything her boyfriend said even though she knew that it was a lie. There were so many happy memories between the two but one day…” I paused to let a tear streak down my cheek. “But one day she knew she couldn’t lie to herself anymore. She found her boyfriend going out with her best friend. Do you know what the best friend told her?”

He shook his head. Unexpectedly he was listening.

“Did you really think we were friends? I never thought of you as one. You’re just a knight on a chess board. The one I use so I can get to the king. Don’t act innocent. You knew. You just didn’t want to believe.” I said. I made another pause to clean the tears off my face. “She was right. The girl was lying to herself the whole time. She can pretend to happy, and that everything is fine but her heart knew it wasn’t the best way.”

“So you’re just going to forget him?” he asked. I nodded.

“After twelve o’clock tonight, I’m going to forget everything” I said.

“You can do that?”

“There’s always going to be an end to everything” I patted his shoulder, “Just depends if it’s now or later.” He curled his lips up a little and the frown lines went away.

“Why are you here?” I asked.

“It’s my birthday” he said quietly.

“Happy birthday” I said. I reached into my bag and pulled out a box. I handed it to him and said happy birthday once again.

“Don’t tell me you keep a present with you all the time and when someone says it their birthday you give it to them.” He laughed.

I smiled and answered, “It’s actually his birthday too. She invited me to his party.”

 “You didn’t go?” he asked. I shook my head. Soon the Ferris wheel was back down on the ground.

“I guess that’s it” I shrugged. We wave good-bye and walked in the opposite direction. My phone vibrated in my pocket. I answered it.

“Hello?” I said.

“Hey, I have someone you got to meet” Mi Young said.

“Can I not go?” I whined.

“Why not?”

“I don’t need you to set up blind dates for me.”

“You need a new guy especially after he dump you.” She noticed she had said something wrong.

“I’m making it clear now. I’m the one that dumped him.”

“Okay, Okay whatever you say. Are you really not going to come you’ll regret it”

“Fine” I gave in. She gave me the location and I was there in minutes. I sat down at Mi Young’s table.

“So where is he?” I asked as the waitress placed a menu in front of me. “I’ll have ice tea” I told her. She took the menu back and went to place the order.

“He’s coming” Mi Young said. The sound of the bell on the door made her turn around. “He’s here” she frantically waved and he came over. He sat next to Mi Young, across from me. It turned out to be the guy on the Ferris wheel.

“This is Xiumin and Zemnax” Mi Young introduced us to each other.

“It’s nice to see you again” he smiled. I nodded in agreement.

“You guys met before” Mi Young was shocked.

“Well…” I started but she cut me off.

“It doesn’t matter. I find you two really similar.” Mi Young laughed. “Did you know he got dumped by his cheating girlfriend today?”

“I’m making it clear, I’m the one that dumped her” he replied.

“See. You see that? Totally alike” Mi Young kept laughing. We ended up talking for more than an hour. Night had fallen and the stores were closing. Mi Young did what she usually does on these types of blind dates: leave early.

Xiumin had no choice but to bring me home. We walked awkwardly side by side.

“It was fun tonight?” he asked.

“Yeah” I nodded. Then there was silence again.

“I’m here” I finally reached my building. I headed for the door.

“Zemnax-ah?” he called. I turned around.

“Want to go out sometime?” he scratched the back of his neck.

With a wide smile, I answered with a nod.