one

Smile Down The Road

 

 

It is her first day at a new school today.

 

Sooyeon had left the States to come live in South Korea. So many things are different to her here - and she doesn't like it. She doesn't want to stay in South Korea, as Sooyeon. She wants to fly back to the palm trees and the blue ocean in California, and be Jessica again. She likes being Jessica. Yet she knows that she couldn't do anything about it either, and sighs.

She is standing at the door of her Trigonometry class, her schedule in her trembling hands. She checks again to see if this is the right room, and it certainly is. She couldn't be any more nervous and scared than she is now. At a snail's pace, she places her hand on the metal doorknob and opens the door. Sooyeon immediately gasps. Oh my God! She thinks. So many unknown faces! And they're staring at me...all of them...

Just then, a woman walks up to her. She is much older than Sooyeon and she is dressed more formally than the other students. It is her teacher.

"Hello, dear." She greets kindly, but it doesn't help as to calming Sooyeon down. "I am Ms. Woo, your Trigonometry teacher. You're the new student, correct?"

She stares at the teacher, then turns her head to the class. They're all still staring at me. It bothers me. Why won't they stop!

"Y-Yes," She quietly murmurs.

Ms. Woo's lips curves into a smile. "Tell all of us your name."

"My...my name? I'm Jung Jess- ah! I mean Jung Sooyeon!" She exclaims, getting chuckles and stifled laughs from the other students. Sooyeon is almost on the verge of tears.

"It's ok, it's ok." Ms. Woo whispers to her. "Everyone, please welcome our new student, Jung Sooyeon!"

She receives scattered applause and half-hearted hellos. One boy waves to her, but she doesn't see it. Embarrassed, she scurries over to the only empty seat in the back and hides her face, blocking out all those blank pairs of eyes staring at her and judging her. As she begins to cry, Sooyeon becomes certain that today - and the rest of the year - won't be very good.

 

. . . .

 

There is a new student joining his class today.

 

Jinki, still not quite awake yet, trudges into his Trigonometry class and to his seat in the back. He grumbles to himself about the ton of homework last night and his four hours of sleep, as he takes out his books.

But when he turns around, something suddenly wakes him up.

A girl, nervous and shy, catches Jinki's attention as she takes a step into the classroom. He doesn't recgonize her, but finds her oddly pretty with her innocent, doll-like face and her long and wavy hair that flowed down her back. He only gets a glance of her beauty though, as she immediately lowers her head down and covers her face with her hair. He is curious as to why.

Jinki watches and listens in facsination as Ms. Woo approaches her. He learns her name, Jung Sooyeon, and tries not to laugh at her stumbles. He turns to his classmates and sees that unlike himself, they are just as bored as any other day at school.

"Everyone, please welcome our new student, Jung Sooyeon!" Ms. Woo announces to the class. Jinki waves his hand at her, but he lowers it down assuming she did not see it with her head still down.

The girl - no, Sooyeon scurries over to the only empty seat in the back, right next to Jinki. He tries to talk to her, but stops himself when he realizes that she is crying as her face is buried in her arms. He decides that it is a bad time, and he ends up not saying a word to her that day.

"Oh well," he mutters, frowning. "Maybe later."

 

. . . .

 

The rest of her classes came and went, and lunchtime is no better. 

 

Sooyeon ends up at the far end of the grass field, silent and lonely. She does not bother to sit with the rest of the girls or try to make friends with them, afraid that she would be shrugged away. She is sadder than sad, and longs for someone she would be able to talk to.

Sooyeon did not realize that other people were sitting next to her.

When one greets her with a hello, she gets shocked. Sooyeon turns her head and is a bit surprised to see two girls smiling at her. She thinks they look very pretty and seem very kind and welcoming, even if her smiles start to creep her out.

"Are you new here?" One tells her.

She counts that as exactly the fourth time someone asks her that today, and she shyly nods yes.

"What's your name?" The other one followed.

"Sooyeon," she mumbles. It is almost a whisper.

"Well, my name is Yoona! My friend here is Seohyun." She greets, both of them waving. Something flutters inside of her, not believing the possiblity that this just might be the start of a new friendship.

But when she comes back the next day, they don't show up again.

 

. . . .

 

"Hey, have you seen that new girl?" Taemin questioned.

"Oh, yeah!" Jonghyun shouts. "She's a cutie, but she's also so damn shy!"

"I know, right? I only saw her face for like a second, and then it got blocked with her hair." Minho added. "Someone told me that she came from the States though, so it makes sense why she's that shy."

"Whatever. She's still pretty cute."

Jinki didn't pay attention to their conversation. He was too busy looking at a person sitting way back on the grass field, talking to some girls.

"Hey, that's her!" He says to himself. "She's already gotten along with Yoona and Seohyun. Good for her."

 

. . . .

 

"Did you enjoy your first day of school, honey?" Sooyeon's mother asks.

No.

"Yeah, I did."
 

. . . .

 

"Did you enjoy school today, honey?" Jinki's mother asks.

Well, a new girl came into class...

"Yeah, I did."

 

. . . .

 

The two girls, Yoona and Seohyun, did not show up again. 

 

Days and days passed by and Sooyeon still has not made any friends. She starts to dread weekdays and impatiently waits for the summer. She quickly walks down the school hallway with textbooks slipping out of her hands, having to face yet another miserable weekday alone.

Then, she stops in her steps when she hears a voice. A voice that calls out Sooyeon's name loud and clear, a voice that belongs to someone that she holds close to her heart, a voice that belongs to someone from America.

"Tiffany?"

Sooyeon doubts that it is her. Yet she finds herself getting more and more upset as she frantically searches around looking for her good friend. In the end, she fails and continues to walk to her locker with tears streaming down her face.

 

. . . .

 

Jinki still has problems trying to talk to Sooyeon.

 

He couldn't help but be concerned about her, not understanding why she was so shy. He had tried saying hi. He had tried asking for help on assignments. He had tried asking if he could borrow a pencil. And Sooyeon didn't even bother to look at him! But he shook it out of his head, and resumed taking out supplies for Trigomometry class.

Soon, Sooyeon steps into the room and walks over to her desk. He opens his mouth to attempt speaking to her again, but he shortly closes it when he finds her with a face damp from tears. Just like yesterday. And the day before that one, and the day before that one. And it concerns him even more.

"Something must be terribly wrong," he mumbles.

 

. . . .

 

It is raining on this particular day.

 

It is the third week of school, and Sooyeon still comes back on the far side of the grass field alone. Tiny raindrops are sprinkling down on her, matching her gloomy mood. 

She does not wait for Yoona and Seohyun to return anymore.  She starts to find it nice back here, without any other weird strangers she is unable to approach. It wasn't long before Sooyeon was turning more relaxed and her eyelids start to lower down, down, down until her eyes were closed shut.

Nothing else happened at first.

But then Sooyeon started to feel something warming her body.

Her eyes open up again, and she sees the sun shining. It confuses her, remembering how the sky was covered in storm clouds just a moment ago. That's when she notices that she is not sitting on a grass field anymore. She is now standing on a concrete sidewalk, in front of her school....in America.

"What the- " is all she managed to say.

Someone calls out her name. It's the same voice from a few days ago, and Sooyeon gets excited all of a sudden.

"Tiffany? Tiffany!" She yells.

Immediately after, her friend pops up right in front of Sooyeon with her signature eye smile. Sooyeon becomes so happy and relieved, her eyes start to water and she runs into her arms to she could give her a nice bear hug.

"Tiffany!"

"Jessica!"

Sooyeon (or Jessica, in Tiffany's eyes) lets go of her. She missed the sound of someone referring to her by her American name. "Oh my gosh, I've missed you so much!" She exclaims.

"Me too! Now come on, we have a lot to catch up on!" Tiffany offers Sooyeon her hand, and she reaches out to it without hesitation.

She grabs a patch of grass.

All of a sudden, she's back (stuck, Sooyeon thought, stuck) at her new school in South Korea, back on the far side of the field. She looks around and touches her surroundings to make sure that she really is here, and she certainly is. The pain of it hits her harder than it ever did before, and she starts to cry yet again.

But someone catches the first tear.

Jinki, the boy who sits next to her in Trigonometry class, appears in front of her. "Hi, Sooyeon." 

"Hello," she greets back.

"What are you doing here?" He spots another teardrop trickling down her cheek and gently wipes it off. Sooyeon lightly pushes away his hand and doesn't say a word. 

"Sooyeon, don't cry..." he sighs.

Hearing that makes Sooyeon's heart sink down to her stomach, and hesitates a bit before answering him. "I have no friends," she mutters.

"Pardon?"

"That's why I'm here. I have no friends."

This surprises him. "You don't have any? What about Yoona and Seohyun?"

She slightly flinches at their names. "No."

Suddenly, Jinki stands up and holds his hand out. Sooyeon is startled at how fast he jumped back onto his feet. "My name is Lee Jinki, but you can call me Onew!" He announces.

Sooyeon gives him a blank stare. "What are you doing?"

"I'm properly introducing myself so we can become friends, of course!"

 

Finally, her lips managed to curve into a smile.

 

 

fin.

SNSD23.png Onew14.png

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Author's Note:

Aww. I really planned for this to be longer, but it's barely over 1000 words. Just goes to show that I cannot write long oneshots or stories even if it was the only way I could live. Oh well.

I personally think that this is a bit rushed, but I"m proud of this nonetheless. What do you guys think?