Chapter Five

Sin S(e)oul {discontinued}
Chapter 5



The sound of sirens echoed in Jonghyun's ears when he slowly regained consciousness. He groaned, the hard hot asphalt felt rough beneath his throbbing hands and aching head.

Jonghyun blinked several times, his eyes were not adjusting to the area around him. His ears too felt muffled, the only thing he managed to distinguish was the uninterrupted sound of sirens. He swallowed his own saliva trying to unplug his ears but the result was fruitless.

He tried again to adjust his eyes. He closed them shut and the re-opened them wide, finally managing to focus on his surroundings. Though there was nothing to focus on because everything had disappeared. His club, the houses near it. Everything was gone.

Jonghyun then remembered. The explosion. He hadn't dreamt it all, it actually happened. He remembered Kyuhyun throwing him on the floor. Jonghyun had protested but after that, he lost consciousness because of the explosion and something hitting him hard and knocking him out. There was no sign of Kyuhyun now.

His eyes wandered aimlessly around the area where his and Minho's gambling club was once located: it was now surrounded by rubble and dust. Even though it was night, the sky had a greyish tinge to it; the air felt thick with dust, Jonghyun could feel it coating his skin.

However Jonghyun wasn't the only one there, he could see several bodies covered in blood, others with their hands to the sky asking for help. Jonghyun wondered if they were actually speaking, all he could hear was the deafening sound of sirens, it sounded like a million sirens were going off in his head.

He scrabbled on the floor trying to find a way to get up, but even lifting his head hurt and so after a few seconds he dropped his head, hitting it again, his whole head throbbed. Trying to ignore the pain, he panted and sighing he tried to get up again; then he gave up.

He closed his eyes again. His mind wandered, and the image of Kibum appeared in front of him. Kibum seemed to be surrounded by darkness, agony and pain. The same pain Jonghyun himself had inflicted on him. The agony he would bear now that Jonghyun couldn't protect him. That darkness now surrounded the both of them.

He had to find Kibum. He had to take him back in his arms, tell him how stupid he had been, how much he couldn't bear to lose him. His ears started buzzing and he finally regained his hearing, a sign that he was ready to get up and go look for him, wherever he was.

Suddenly, he felt himself being taken up by his arms, a whiny groan escaped his mouth because every muscle and every bone hurt so much to be able to support Jonghyun's whole body. He realized he was being handled by two men, one of them was cuffing his wrist together with a cold material, cuffs, and the other was patting his hands all over his hips, his legs.

Jonghyun finally looked up and he saw a man in uniform talking to him. "You are under arrest, Kim Jonghyun-ssi. You are not obliged to say anything unless you wish to do so but what you say may be put-"

Jonghyun's eyes widened. I'm being arrested?! he tried to struggle but the cop behind him wasn't letting him go. "There must be a mistake! I… I have to go somewhere, I can't be taken away!" The cop in front of him was still talking about his rights, clearly not listening to him.

"Please you have to look for Kim Kibum! He's been kidnapped, I need to find him! You should be looking for him instead of arresting me!" Jonghyun kept talking and talking, even when he was locked in the police car. He even hit the glass at the back of the car with his hands to get the attention. The only result he got from it was his body screaming to him to stop. The cops didn't try to shut him up, instead they ignored him. And so they did for the rest of the trip to the police station.

-----

The annoying buzzing of flies and the smell of death filled Minho's senses as he entered his house. The door was left open, but all the lights were off. Minho walked slowly through the corridor leading to the living room and the kitchen. The lights were still off there as well, the only light came from the door way. Half-way there he felt his shoes stomping on something slippery. Minho looked down and saw his white shoes being stained with something dark and deep. He kept walking.

He was trembling when he finally reached the living room. His shaking hand found the light switch easily and the lights switched on. As Minho had expected, his shoes were now covered with red, with blood. The whole floor was stained with it.

Minho's eyes followed the blood path that ended near the coach. There, a figure laying on the floor, was Heechul's body. Dead. Minho's eyes widened and he ran towards the body, his trembling hands now felt numb, and heavy. "H-hyung..." Minho said slowly, his voice desperate and exhausted.

Heechul's image was disturbing: he had his eyes and his mouth open, his hair was humid with sweat. His front was covered in blood, and there was a black bullet hole. Heechul's clothes were all ripped; on his arms and his chest there were several deep cuts. They must have tortured him before…before…

Then his head snapped up. Yoogeun. Where was his brother? He immediately ran towards his and Yoogeun's room, which was open too. When he got inside, everything was a mess: sheets were all over the floor, his lamp was broken into thousands pieces. Even his bed had been moved. Was there a fight?

His brother, however, wasn't there. Minho got down on his knees and sobbed. He yelled and started hitting hard the floor with his fists. It hurt, but Minho didn't feel anything. He was immune to the pain. He stood up, only to fall once again as he tripped on the sheets, crying his eyes out.

He cried until he shed all his tears.

He hadn't even realized he was back in the living room. His head was spinning, it felt heavy and it ached. Minho approached his coach, the unmoving body of Heechul was still there, obviously. He wanted to run away from that house and never go back, but his feet had another plan. His whole body ached for all the running he had done from the taxi to his house and Minho collapsed on the dirty coach.

It felt so good to his body. So soft and comfortable. He always spent hours dozing off on that coach after hours of hours of training and even then, it felt heavenly. His mind was trying so hard to not think there was a dead body of his friend right in front of him, and that his brother was gone. He tried to close his eyes and to fall asleep.

But none of that was possible. He couldn't stop staring at the horrific expression on Heechul's face, his mind couldn't just shut everything off. He had to look for Yoogeun. He knew who had taken him, so he just had to find their headquarters and take Yoogeun back.

His mind felt strangely relieved now that he had a plan. But then the chances to find Yoogeun safe and sound were less than zero. He had to go to Jonghyun and ask him for help. His friend had said that he would help him no matter what and he was the only one Minho trusted with his life.

And what about Heechul's body? If someone found out the body they would suspect him immediately. He had to hide it, or bury it. He was in a very deep this time. He was going to prison for something he didn't commit and he wouldn't be able to find his brother if they arrested him. He felt fear rising in him. Desperation was overtaking him. He barely could breathe and his eyes burnt. Tears were flowing down again.

He tried to wipe his tears away with his hand when he felt a buzzing in his jeans pocket. He took out his phone and read the number. He didn't know it. It's them. He thought as he pressed the green button. At least he had stopped crying.

He didn't dare say "Hello" so he waited until they spoke. He was determined to make them know how much he hated them and how much he wanted to take Yoogeun back, and he was shocked to hear Jonghyun's voice on the speaker. "Minho-ya? Hello?"

Minho realized only then that he had been holding his breath, he had released all the air when the familiar voice of his best friend had reached his ears. "Hyung? Where are you? At the club? What's this number?" He hoped Jonghyun could reach him as soon as possible.

He head Jonghyun sigh. "Minho-ya... I'm not at the club. This is the only call I'll be able to have for a while and.. " Jonghyun said no more. Minho frowned and looked at his watch. 2am.

"What do you mean? Where are you? And if you are not there, who is looking after the club?" Minho couldn't help but ask him plenty of questions. Jonghyun sounded too weird for Minho not to notice something was wrong.

For a while, everything was silent. Minho thought the line went dead but Jonghyun spoke again. "No Minho, no one is looking after the club because.. there isn't a club anymore." It took Minho some time to realize what the older man had said and when it hit him he was shocked. Before he could ask for more details Jonghyun interrupted his thoughts, "It exploded. Luckily I was outside when it happened, I was going after…" he stopped again. "Right after the explosion the police came and they arrested me. I was supposed to call a lawyer with this call, but I had to tell you."

It was very very hard to swallow it down. Everything was happening too damn fast and Minho was sure he was slowly losing his mind. "No.. it can't be… no…" he said slowly, hitting the wall with the back of his head and then sliding down. His legs couldn't support his body anymore.

"Minho, I…" even Jonghyun didn't know what to say. He was at the Police station for God's sake! Minho was alone now. Not even Jonghyun could help him now.

"Hyung, I'm at home… something happened. Something horrible happened," He couldn't go further, because tears where threatening him again. "Hyung… Heechul is dead, Yoogeun is gone!" Minho said, he couldn't hold it anymore. He was on the verge of a crisis.
Jonghyun didn't say anything for a while, he was probably too shocked to talk. "Kibum is gone too, they kidnapped him."

They. It must have been the same people who had taken Yoogeun. Those bastards. Kibum and Jonghyun had nothing to do with it and so didn't his little brother, or Heechul. Desperation was now replaced with anger.

"Hyung, I swear to you. I'm gonna bring both of them back. And then I'll find a good lawyer to be able to release you from that place." He meant it. Even if it costed him his life.

-----

Kyuhyun was holding up a white folder, effectively blocking the front window of his black sedan. He kept looking very closely at the papers the folder contained. One of them was titled "Certificate of activity ownership" and right below it Choi Minho's personal data was printed.

Kyuhyun sighed. It had been a very difficult task to obtain these files from the safe in Jonghyun's office. Thinking about it now, if he escaped from the office a minute later those files would most likely be torn apart, along with his body's part.

Right after he had exited the main hall of the gambling club, he had spotted Jonghyun among all the people; right when he was approaching him, he had heard some people screaming there was a bomb inside. He immediately rushed towards Jonghyun holding him down and the bomb had exploded, along with the whole building.

"What's taking him so ing long?" Kyuhyun talked aloud, a stressed sigh leaving his mouth. He kept looking at the files, not because it was really his job, he was just a driver after all, but because he had nothing better to do. It was weird how there were several papers about the club's ownership with three different dates. One had Jonghyun's name on it, and it was the older one. The second had only Minho's name on it and the third one had both of their names on it.

Among the files, there were two others claiming there were activity suspensions on every two years. Seems like they found out how to rip off the government, although I'm still not sure how..

His thought were soon interrupted by someone occupying the passenger's back seat. Finally. Kyuhyun didn't have to look back and check who it was. It was his boss, the one who had requested him to obtain the papers from Jonghyun and Minho's office. Kyuhyun, however, looked at the rear-view mirror and met his boss' eyes, acknowledging him with a nod.

"Found something interesting?" his boss asked, a smirk evident on his face. Kyuhyun wasn't sure whether he was genuinely asking him about what those files contained or if he already knew. Kyuhyun was sure about the second one.

"Actually… yes," Kyuhyun replied, collecting all the papers he had messily spread on the passenger's seat, in the folder to hand them to his boss, "Jinki." When he turned around he looked at the man's outfit: a grey suit with a flawless tie. Even his hair was tied up nicely. As if elegance wasn't already natural in Lee Jinki.

The man in the back seat took the folder from Kyuhyun's hand and gave him a nod to continue. "Let's hear it then," he said while scanning briefly every paper included in the folder.

"Well, I've noticed there are three different papers for ownership matters, and only the last one has the both of them as the club's owners..." Kyuhyun's voice faded when he realized Jinki didn't look like he was listening to him. But then his boss looked up at him and he continued. "So I was wondering why they would do such a thing. I mean I know Minho was underage when they first opened the club, but why Jonghyun stepped down for 6 months before re-joining as associate?"

Jinki looked impressed. Well, for half second at least but Kyuhyun felt proud of himself anyway. He waited for Jinki to reply, because there was no way Jinki had not noticed it already. He was a lawyer specialized in business after all, and he was a genius.

"They did it so they could start the activity anew and so getting more funding from the government. It's something almost everyone does, since the government always encourages new activities from young people." Jinki explained, while re-arranging the papers from the folder Kyuhyun had handed to him and another one that he driver had just noticed on Jinki's lap. "Of course, officially their activity is categorized as night club." Yes, because all kind of private gambling activities were illegal in South Korea. "And that's exactly, what I need to settle things down," Jinki said, finally closing one of the two folders. Two papers were left out, two identical copies of Jonghyun and Minho's latest ownership paper; Jinki handed them back to Kyuhyun. "Burn them."

Kyuhyun replied with a "yes boss," although he still was unsure about Jinki's plan. "I… uhm... met someone in Jonghyun's office last night when I retrieved the papers." Better telling Jinki now, because the man had always warned him about telling him everything that happened during jobs. Kyuhyun had learnt to not miss a single detail. Jinki looked at him expectantly. "Jung Jessica. Half-." That definitely took Jinki by surprise.

His boss smirked again, this time he looked very amused. "Looks like Kim Jonghyun had fun last night before the nightmare," he laughed. Kyuhyun felt it horribly disturbing that Jinki could actually laugh about the whole situation. Jinki's laugh looked very bitter and Kyuhyun knew his boss wasn't actually having fun out of it. It was still disturbing. "Looks like they finally made a move. And Kim Kibum was their target." He fell silent for a while, probably too engrossed in his thoughts to actually notice Kyuhyun had asked him what he meant.

He still didn't appear to notice when he opened the passenger's door, taking one of the folders with him. "Burn those papers," he said coldly, before closing the door, adjusting his suit and walking up the stairs to Seoul's police station.