On the Rise

Days Go By

 

See you know that I am young and I’ve only just begun.

-GDYB’s To A Higher Place (2002)

Ji Yong had made a few minor appearances alongside bigger stars in the first year he’d joined the company to exploit his own talents but nothing amounted to the duo group GDYB formed later on and their debut release in 2002. In this debut Ji Yong took on the stage name of G-Dragon, making a name for him in the music industry. The two of them, Ji Yong and Young-bae, got acquainted with each other after the dance rehearsal YG himself had witnessed and they’ve been inseparable ever since, gaining popularity within the company and outside as well. The first time they’d performed on stage was nerve-wrecking for both of them but once they took hold of the microphone the words spilled out naturally and hundreds watched GDYB come alive. Their debut was a test not only to see what their own country thought of them but also to see if they were ready to take the next big step in their career and when the GDYB run was over the two returned to YG as trainees. Though still in training, it already felt like they were raising stars and at such a young age they wouldn’t stop there. There was just the underlying question of where Ji Yong and Young-bae would be heading next.

In the late year of 2004, Ji Yong and Young-bae got their answer as they had received word from YG that they would be considered for a boy band group along with fellow trainee Jang Hyunseung. “I have took note in the talents each of you brings to the entertainment industry. With that being said, I can tell you now that you are being considered for a boy band that we would like to have debut in the year of 2006. Keep in mind that your places are not guaranteed, you must earn them through hard work. Keep up the good work, you’ve come this far and I hope to see great things from you all.”

“Ye Sajangim,” answered the boys before being dismissed from his office. Though Young-bae and Hyunseung left also immediately after, Ji Yong stayed behind, biting his lip.

“Is there something you’d like say?” YG asked the young boy.

There was a pause, a moment of silence as Ji Yong felt conflicted, not over what he wanted to say but more so ask. In the end he shook his head calmly and smiled. Whatever it was, it could wait. He told YG, “No, not really Sajangnim. I promise to work very hard from now on.” He then bowed respectfully before the CEO.

“Very well then, I have high expectations for you,” YG revealed with an approving nod. “You may leave.”

Once outside the president’s office Ji Yong was not surprised to find Young-bae waiting for him. “Soooo,” Young-bae dragged out.

“So . . . what?”

“What were you two talking about? Come on, spill it,” urged the older boy.

“I just told him I would work harder from now on, that’s it hyung.”

Young-bae gave his dongsaeng a skeptical look, the boy pursing his lips in response to the hard look he was receiving. “You didn’t ask him about-

Ji Yong hissed lowly, “Yah! Sajangnim is busy with other things. I don’t need to burden him right now and besides, it could wait.”

“Okay, okay.” Young-bae backed off reluctantly. “But hey, you want to head out for some pig skin later? Usual spot?”

“I don’t see why we can’t. We should invite Hyunseung to tag along too,” Ji Yong suggested with a smile. Since he felt the three of them were currently in the same boat with the boy band project then the least they could do was get acquainted with each other. Chatting over pig skin at their favorite restaurant spot was a sure fire ice-breaker, plus it’s rare for any trainees to pass up offer to enjoy some pig skin period. However, Young-bae glanced downward at the ground, a disapproving look on his face. Catching him, Ji Yong asked, “Is there something wrong hyung?”

“No . . . no,” Young-bae replied slowly at first. “It’s just that . . . I heard some things about him from the other guys.”

“Like?” Ji Yong pressed on. It was quite obvious he wanted to know what the deal was with Hyunseung, the curiosity gleaming through his eyes. Maybe this boy wouldn’t be good company for them . . . Ji Yong had only made the offer with good intentions but he wouldn’t do something that would make Young-bae uncomfortable in the slightest, even if it were for their own benefit.

“Nothing,” Young-bae answered with an abrupt shake of his head as if he were getting rid of negative thoughts. He flashed his friend a smile before saying, “Sorry if I made you worry. You can invite Hyunseung if you want. I’ll go grab my things and meet up with you outside in a few.”

Without skipping a beat, Ji Yong watched his hyung walk off with little time to respond to his words. Young-bae was acting odd today. The young trainee chewed on his lower lip. Had he done something wrong? It was a possibility that Ji Yong might have upset Young-bae unintentionally but he couldn’t put a finger on what he did to set Young-bae off. Maybe it was all in his head then. He’d never fought with Yong-bae up to this point in their friendship. They’d practically been attached to each other since their debut. Now that he was thinking over their friendship, he was suddenly overcome with a feeling of nostalgic. He’d experienced this before, years ago it seemed now as he would be eighteen soon.

He remembered it clearly now. The little boy he’d left behind in the rain that one day, a true friend to him at the time that allowed him to follow his dreams.

I wonder . . . Seunghyun, how are you?