Training

Days Go By

 

I will forget for a bit tomorrow then I will think (of you) . . . I believe that you will come back

-Big Bang’s Sunset Glow

To think that Ji Yong would be here, standing inside a real recording studio within the building of YG Entertainment, it felt like a dream. He still couldn’t fathom how this moment came to be. Long story short he had caught someone’s eye and they recommended the young boy to Yang Hyun Suk, the Yang Hyun Suk, founder and CEO of YG Entertainment. That day he signed the contract in Yang’s office only seemed like yesterday when in fact it was a few months. Still everyday was a new day and though all he did was fetch water and help clean up the studios for the other artists it never bothered him. So long as he could be in place where he felt he belonged, he was fine with it. Besides, training under his mentors was the best part. He could honestly say that he made the right choice in signing that contract.

“Kwon Ji Yong!” The call of his name startled him but he quickly sauntered over to his dance studio teacher and stood alert. “Ahsi, you need to stop daydreaming and focus on your training.”

“I’m sorry. I’ll give my best effort today,” Ji Yong said with and small apologetic bow of his head.

“Alright everyone get up and spread out. I’ll be running you through dance routine number six today step by step, so stay alert, pay attention and follow my instructions. If you do these three things we’ll have no problems, okay? You know the drill.”

“Ye,” chorused the students together as they took their places along the floor. Ji Yong chose his usual spot near the mirror wall, a queasy feeling settling in his stomach that contradicted with the rush of excitement through his body. The routine today consisted mainly of pop-n-lock dance moves that were difficult to master but for Ji Yong it wasn’t too bad. By the end of the lesson and the final dance together he had the routine memorized pretty well. Now it was time for the big split up where the teacher would stick two dancers together and the rest would watch them perform the routine completely. It was like a review except if you made a mistake you would most likely get scolded or if the teacher was feeling generous he would give you tips. The chances of receiving tips were very low so most were ready to be scolded before they even started.

“Alright, so who will be our first victims for the day?” The teacher asked with a half-smile as he looked over the group of teenage boys avoiding all eye contact as much as possible, well everyone except for one boy. “Youngbae! You’ll be first today.”

“Ye seonsaeng,” answered the boy as the other students cleared off the dance floor. The boy was smiling quite brightly, not something the trainees would usually do by the end of class but then again from previous routines Ji Yong knew that right off the back Youngbae was a dancer, a pretty good one at that. There were some other things Ji Yong noticed about Youngbae. Like for instance, today he wore his hair back with beanie hat covering his head which was out of the ordinary since Ji Yong was used to seeing Youngbae with corn roll braids in his head. The boy was also two years older than Ji Yong but the two never really talked much since Ji Yong started training. Actually Ji Yong didn’t have much friends here. He was more absorbed in his training then socializing with people he didn’t know.

“Alright, are there any volunteers to be Youngbae’s partner for the day? No?” the teacher asked. “Alright then, I guess I’ll pick on someone then. Kwon Ji Yong.”

“Ye?” Ji Yong said, looking up at the teacher. Oh boy . . .

“Thanks for volunteering. Now get up here.” Damn it . . .

Ji Yong muttered a low yes before walking slowly to the center of the floor and taking a spot a few feet away from Youngbae for elbow room. He didn’t consider himself to be lucky at the moment because not a lot of the other trainees liked to be paired with Youngbae. Some claimed he made them look bad but that fact was Youngbae was just a better more experienced dancer. Ji Yong didn’t have any dancing experience before this to back him up, unless you wanted to count those silly dances Seunghyun and he would make up afterschool. Seunghyun . . . I wonder how he’s doing.

“Alright, get ready you two!” the teacher announced while he stood by the boombox with his finger lazily glazing over the play button. Just before he could play the music though a visitor entered the room.

“Mind if I watch the routine today?”

Immediately, every trainee stood and bowed in greeting as the CEO of YG Entertainment entered the room. “Annyeonghaseyo.”

CEO Yang Hyun Suk bowed his head in reply. “Annyeonghaseyo to you all as well. I hope you are doing well and working hard.”

“Ye Sajangnim,” the group answered in unison. Now Ji Yong was more nervous. Standing before them was the very man who gave them the chance of a lifetime to become a part of a growing family. If anyone could definitely take that chance away it was Yang Hyun Suk. If there was a time to show he belonged here, now would be the time. Hopefully he wouldn’t screw this one up from the pressure squeezing around his heart.

“Annyeonghaseyo sajangnim,” greeted their dance instructor. “Please take a seat. These two were just about to go over the routine we learned today.”

“Ah, you may begin then,” the president offered as he took a seat at the front of the room.

“Ye Sajangnim.” The room went silent. The click of the play button seemed to echo off Ji Yong eardrums, the teacher’s voice following after. “Begin.”


Watch their dance routine here