Aquarius

Horoscopes

Flipping through the magazine, I search for the horoscopes, I don't really believe in them but it's always funny to read. Today's horoscopes for Aquarius reads "you will be in for a life long change, things look good in the near future." Ok, it may not have said exactly that, but I always skim those things. I laugh a little, knowing that horoscopes hold no truth in them and there will be no "life long change" waiting for me. 

"Shirley, come on, we're gonna miss our flight," my mom calls in my home language. I put down the magazine and follow her out to the van. After being in my hometown for a month, I can't wait to be heading home. My relatives chat amongst themselves as I stare out the window, I'm gonna miss this place. The place where my parents grew up, where they met each other, where I was conceived. I smile as I see a motorcycle zoom by us without a care in the world, it squishes itself between two big cars and continue on its way, I watch as it nearly scrapes the side of one the cars before we pass it and I lose sight of my entertainment. Vietnam is a dangerous place, but it's home anyway. The constant honks and engine sounds that come from the motorcycles eventually became and everyday sound, I was no longer bothered by it. The smell of gas and dust also stopped bothering me. I sigh as I remember that I will no longer be able to experience any of this stuff anymore. If only the month hadn't passed so quickly. When we arrive at the airport, everyone tumbles and helps us grab our stuff. They drag over a cart and sets our boxes on them. Hugs and kisses and tears are shed as we bid them goodbye and then we grab our stuff and proceed into the check-in area where we ship off our bags and get our tickets. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The plane ride to Korea took about 3-4 hours. We walk out of the airport and stare out at the city of Incheon. Cars zoom by and people walk briskly past, it felt as if we were standing in the middle of Times Square. My mom hands me my passport and stares at me. 

"Now remember, you must call in every half an hour and you must keep your phone on sound at all time. If you ever find yourself lost, ask Sineun for directions," she orders, I nod and smile at Sineun, my "tour guide" for the next 12 hours. She is actually my mom's best friend back when they went to high school together, but then Sineun decided to move to Korea to start a new life and they haven't seen each other since, they have been writing letters though. My mom calls a cab and goes back to the hotel where she rest while I explore as much of Incheon as possible.

"Ready to go stalk some K-Pop idols?" Sineun winks, I cringe a little.

"I'm not really into them," I say. I admit, some of them are pretty/cute/y/hot/whatever but I just don't see why people make such a big deal out of them, same with all the other celebs, they're just people. Sineun takes me to her car and our tour officially starts.

"Where do you want to go first?" Sineun asks.

"I'm kinda hungry," I admit, "can we get something to eat?"

"I think there's a kimbap place nearby, let's go there," she says, she starts the car and we drive to the kimbap place.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The place is almost empty when we walk in. The owner bows to us and hands us menus. Sineun orders the special and tells me that I will love it, that it's their most famous kind of kimbap. When they bring it out i can't help but notice how it looks exactly like sushi. Even the taste isn't that much different to that of crab salad sushi.

"12 hours to see everything Incheon has to offer? I don't think that's possible," Sineun says.

"We can go to the close places, the highlights," I say.

"You should tell your mom to let you vacation here sometime, Seoul is breathtakingly beautiful and will take at least a month to explore," she says, smiling. I like Sineun, she's friendly and tries to make things less awkward. She's easy to talk to.

"I don't think my mom will let, she's overprotective," I say.

"Oh, I know, it took me awhile to convince her to let me be your tour guide," she says, laughing, "that girl, as stubborn as ever." Suddenly, we hear a commotion outside, like a bunch of overly excited girls who just saw a cute guy walk by. I excuse myself to go to the bathroom, my curiosity getting the better of me, this is a good time to see what has these girls so worked up. I squeeze my tuny asian frame through them all and I bump into the most perfect creature to have ever walked the Earth.

He smiles and says something in Korean and gives me a long hug. He then whispers another Korean sentence in my ear and then he kisses me. My eyes widen in shock and confusion as the girls around me cry out simultaneously. WHY IS THIS PERFECT HUMAN BEING KISSING ME?! IS IT CONSIDERED UAL HARASSMENT IF I ENJOY IT?! He lets go and takes my hand and we run from the scene. Once we are safe and away from the girls he says something to me in Korean.

"I'm sorry," I say in english, "but I don't speak Korean."

He chuckles and says "I just asked for your name." 

"Oh, it's Shirley," I reply.

"Shirley, i like your name. I'm Kris," he says, holding out his hand. I stare at it and wonder, would it be rude to kick him where the sun never shines and run away? I decide that that would be rude so I slapped him instead. He stares at me in shock. 

"Don't look so shocked, a**hole, you ing attacked me." I glare. He chuckles quietly. 

"You didn't seem to mind when you kissed back," he smirks. This, makes me blush and his smirk grows because he know he got me. 

"That doesn't mean anything, you still attacked me," I mutter, not looking at his handsome face. 

"I'm sorry, let me make it up to you, I'll take you out to dinner tomorrow," he says.

"Sorry, I have to catch a plane in 12 hours," I say. 

"Alright, we'll change dinner date to lunch date and a tour, now put your hood on, we're gonna sneak out to my car," he says, pulling his hood over his head and putting on his sunglasses. I question my decision to get into a car with a person I met only a moment ago. Shrugging to myself, I put on my hood and follow him. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Patbingsu, a must in Korea," he says as he starts the car. 

"What's that?" I ask, all these Korean dishes hurt my head. 

"Shaved ice with ice cream and an assortment of beans and fruit," he replies, "perfect for a hot summer day like today." 

"But I just ate kimbap," I say. 

He chuckles, "there's always room for dessert." He parks the car in the parking lot of the patbingsu place and we get out. The small place is decorated cutely with cutouts of fruits and flowers. The moment we open the door, a gust of cold refreshing air blows into my face making me forget the hot boiling sun outside. The girl there greets us and shows us to a table, she hands us two menus and walks away. I open the menu and sort of die inside, the Korean characters circle inside my head making no sense whatsoever. Kris chuckles as I stare at the words in utter confusion. 

"Don't worry, I'll order, are you allergic to coconut?" He says, I shake my head and he calls the girl back over and orders in Korean. She walks away with the menus and we sit in silence waiting for her to come back. 

"So, why did you kiss me?" I ask. 

"I knew you would ask. I was trying to get away from my fans, the element of surrpise always works," he laughs.

"So you used me," I glare. 

He shrugs, "If you want to put it that way, but I did whisper in your ear to play along." 

"I don't understand Korean, that was gibberish to me." 

"Look, I'm sorry I impulsively kissed you in order to surprise my fans, I'll make it up to you. 12 hours with Kris, do you know how many girls would kill to be in your position?" 

"Do you know how many s I give, player?" 

He chuckles again, "You're mean." 

"You're cocky." 

"It's not cocky if it's stating the truth." I scoff at him. The patbingsu comes and the girl says something that makes him laugh and politely thank her. 

"Why is there only one?" I ask. 

"Do you see the size of it? And besides, sharing is caring." I shrug and eat. The coldness of the ice and the sweet mixture of red beans and ice cream made for a delightful cold dessert, plus the slight hint of coconut mixed in. 

"Is it good?" Kris asks, I nod as I continue to eat. He smiles and eats also, the coldness that I am eating practically melts at his smile. We eat in silence for the remaining time and then we leave. The girl smiles at us and says in english: "You two are good couple." I was going to say something but Kris interrupts and says "thank you." 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The rest of the say is spent driving around Incheon, we ate when Kris feels like eating, which is every time he sees a restaurant or shop he knows is good. Which also turned out to be every step of the way. 

"Kris, I swear, if we stop at this samyupsal place too, I will explode," I say. He laughs. 

"Your stomach is so small, I'm still hungry," he says. 

"You're kidding right? We've been to ddukbokki, bulgogi, bibimbap, is there anything else we can eat?" 

"Many things, but I'm getting tired of eating, let's go sight seeing." 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 

Everywhere we went he would get stopped by fans asking for his autograph. After awhile I started to get tired of the constant screaming, the word "oppa" became a word I wanted to wipe off the face of the Earth. I grab onto his arm and drag him away, the fangirls stare at me as I do this. 

"What? Did you get jealous?" Kris chuckle when I let go of him. 

"No, I just got tired of their constant fangirling, do they know how annoying they are?" I say, he laughs. 

"It's funny how I just had to find the one person in that crowd who isn't a fangirl." 

"If I was a fangirl, i would've beaten up all the other fangirls back there, no one takes away my Kris time." 

He laughs again. "You're so amusing." 

"Thank you, I take that as a compliment. I have one question though, what're you? Why do you have so many fans?" 

"What do you think I am?" 

"An ulzzang." 

"Wrong." 

"Then what're you?" 

"A duizhang." 

"A what?" 

He laughs. "Play on words, you said ulzzang, I said duizhang, they rhyme. I'm actually an idol." 

I stare at him. "Bullsh*t," I say.

"Why?" He asks.

"There is no freaking way you're an idol."

"I am, I'm Exo-M's leader."

Exo-M, why does that sound to familiar? Suddenly, I realize, I've been laughing at this guy for as long as I can remember.

"You're the b*tchface!" I laugh. 

"you know my nickname but you don't know me?" He raises and eyebrow. 

"Sorry, I don't pay attention to K-Pop. It's just I was bored and looked up the b*tchface tag on tumblr and you showed up. So, Exo-M, huh? Sing then."

"I don't sing, I rap."

"Alright, duizhang, rap." He raps a bit and I have to admit, he's not that bad. But then I suddenly remembered the time and I looked to see that it's now 11 p.m. How did I not realize how late it is? My flight leaves in an hour. 

"What's wrong?" Kris asks, I guess he saw the look of pure panic on my face.

"I'm late for my flight, how far are we from the airport?" I ask.

"About 20 minutes," he says.

"Perfect, please drive me back." He nods and we get into his car. He drives to the ariport. I don't want to admit it but, I enjoy spending time with the b*tchface and I'm going to remember this for the rest of my life. I look over at him as he concentrates on getting me to the airport in time and my heart swells up in gratitude. I'm grateful that he took time out of his schedule to show me around, and that he put with me, and now he's doing everything he can to help me catch my flight. A tear rolls down my cheek as I realize, I'll never see him again. I suddenly wished that time would slow down so I can stay by his side just a little longer, 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I thank him when we get to the airport and I start to walk into the airport. He pulls me back and slips something into my hand and then he drives away. I watch his car disappear from sight before staring at the item in my hand. A piece of paper with ten digits written on it in messy handwriting stares up at me. I slip the paper into my pocket and hope that it doesn't fall out. I continue on my way with a smile on my face. It's time to go home, but home is where the heart is and I think I just left mine here. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It's been two days since I got back from vacation and school has just started. Not once did I forget about the 12 hours in Incheon, Kris's smile flashes through my mind in the middle of class sometimes, making me blush. I even went online and looked up at patbingsu place to no avail. I am putting books back into my locker when suddenly my K-Pop obsessed friend attacks me.

"Explain!" She screams, shoving an article she printed from the internet into my hands. I look at it in shock.

"This website lies," I say, nonchalantly, hoping that she doesn't notice how shocked I am at the aritcle of me and Kris kissing. The one word that pops out at me from the article is the word "girlfriend" which someone very kindly wrote in bold.

"No sh*t, I know that, but that is obviously you and I want to know why you're kissing Kris," she demands. I sigh and then I explain everything to her. After my explanation she stares at me.

"It's been two days and you haven't called him? Pabo!" She exclaims, punching me lightly on the arm.

"Pabo? I have no money to make an international call to some celebrity all the way across the world," I say.

"Oh, right, i forgot about that," she says. She starts to fake sob dramatically, "why is the world so cruel? All because of money two lovers have been separated." She slams her fists into the ground and cries, causing people walking by to stare. I roll my eyes at her.

"And scene," I say. She stands up and dusts herself off as if she just fell onto the ground instead of crying dramatically. This is why she almost always gets lead in the school play. Overdramatic Mia, what would I do without her? 

"Ok, we need to buy you a phone card, we are going to call him right after school," she says. She throws my books roughly into my locker and closes it with a loud bang. She then grabs my hand and drags me off to buy the card. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

With the phone on speaker, we listen to it ring as it dials his number. It rings forever and I start to panic, what do I say when he answers? Will he even pick up? Mia stares at the phone as if her stare can will him to pick up sooner. I just hope she doesn't develop super powers and fry my phone with her laser eyes. 

"Yoboseyo?" He finally answers. Mia turns to me and indicates with her eyes for me to reply. 

"Hey, it's Shirley,:" I say, simply because I didn't know what else to say. 

"You saw the article didn't you?" Kris laughs. 

"Yeah," I reply. 

"And now you want me to explain to the press how we aren't dating," he replies. 

"I'm shocked, did you grow a brain after two days?" I tease, forgetting that Mia is still here, she hits me. "Ow!" I exclaim and then I remember that Kris is still on the phone. 

"What was that?" He asks. 

"Nothing," both Mia and I exclaim as a reflex. She covers and stares at the phone with wide eyes.

"Shirley... who else is there?" Kris asks, suspiciously.

"Just my friend, she made me call you," I explain.

"Annyeonghaseyo, oppa," She says quietly. Kris chuckles.

"Alright, so about the explanation to the press, I can't do it," he says, the joking gone from his voice. I stare at the phone in shock.  

"Why not? I demand. Part of me wishes that it would be a cheesy answer like the ones in romance novels and fanfiction, something like "because I want it to be true."

"Because that would ruin my rep. 'Exo-M's leader kisses random girl to get away from fans' my rep. will go down the drain," he says. My heart breaks into two.

"Oh, I see, it's for your rep. so now what do you want me to do?"

"Pretend to be my girlfriend, just for awhile."

"Relationships always end, do I get the honor of dumping Exo-M's leader?" The tears start to build as I realize the truth. Kris isn't the perfect guy I thought he was two days ago, he's just like any other celebrity, he'll use you and throw you away without a second thought. But I will not be thrown away, I will use him for my own purposes. No one uses me and gets away with it. Kris hesitates to answer, probably weighing what would happen to his reputation if he gets dumped by a girl. 

"If that's what you want," he finally says. 

"It's a deal then, I get to dump you when I feel it is time to end this," I say, "we're done talking Kris, goodbye." I hang up on him without waiting for a reply back. I glare at my phone as the tears continue to fall. Misa comes over and hugs me but I don't hug back. I just let her hug me silently as I cry. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Two weeks pass and Mia keeps me updated on how many times I've been mentioned on shows and interviews. People are always curious about the personal lives of celebs and the fact that he's dating someone who isn't another celebrity is even more intriguing. I zone out as she continues to spazz about the many good things he's said about me. 

"His eyes shine brighter when you're mentioned, Shirley, and when he talks about you he smiles," she says. 

"How can you see his eyes when Youtube's resolution is so bad? And I can smile when I talk about him too. it's called acting,"  counter. She sighs. 

"Why can't you see that he cares?" 

"Because he doesn't." 

'How much longer are you going to keep up the charade then?" 

"Until I can break up with him in person." The truth is I don't want to break up with him. I want to keep pretending, to hear all the sweet things he makes up about us and me. To believe what Mia says about his eyes. But I'd by lying to myself, just like he's lying to the whole entire world. Someone taps me on the shoulder, I turn around to see a boy around my age smiling at me. I smile back, this is the first time a boy has ever approached me. 

"A-are you free this friday?" He asks. Mia stares in the distance, I look at where she's staring to see Carly, my new enemy, and her sidekick taking picture of us. 

"Sorry," I tell the boy, "but my boyfriend lives in Korea." I turn away from him. He boy smirks and hugs me. 

"I'll see you friday then," he says and walks away. 

"UAL HARASSMENT!" I scream after him. 

"It's not ual harassment if you like it," he smirks and walks away. His words struck something inside me. A thought I had before, a thought about a certain kiss. I start to blush deeply as the memory comes back. Carly and her sidekick high five each other and walk away laughing. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

", we're screwed," Kris says when i called that night. The pictures have already made its way onto the internet and news of Kris's girlfriend being friendly with another guy is spreading fast. If I break up with him now I'll look bad and if he breaks up with me I'll still look bad.

"We are screwed," I whisper. 

"Don't worry, I'll figure something out, just get some sleep," he says. 

"Ok, night Kris," 

"Night." He hangs up. I sigh, why are fake relationships so difficult? I roll into bed and go to sleep. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"You disgust me, just because your boyfriend lives far away doesn't mean you can go out with some other dude," Carly says. 

"What I do in my free time is no business of yours, please leave before I punch that pretty face of yours," I say calmy. 

She smirks, "you should watch what you say, what if your boyfriend hears?" 

"Honey, do you really think I would cheat on him? He's Kris ing Wu. I'd be one stupid b*tch, like you." He eyes shine in anger, she pulls her hand up to slap me but someone holds her arm back. We turn to see the devial staring down at us. 

"Speak of the devil," I laugh, "hey babe, you're early." 

He smiles, "it's a good thing too or else my babe's face would be ruined." He drops her arm and turns to her. "what's your name, dear?" He asks her. 

"C-Carly," she says, her eyes wide with shock. Kris gives her an autograph. 

"For you, Carly, i know you're a fan and all but I would appreciate it if you don't spread stupid rumors on the internet, thanks," Kris then kisses me on the cheek, slips something into my hand and walks away. Mia comes over and smiles at me knowingly. 

"How does it feel?" She asks, wagging her eyebrows, I blush. 

"How does what feel?" I ask. 

She laughs, "being kissed by Kris, pabo."

"Like I died and went to heaven," I roll my eyes, knowing that that was exactly what she wanted to hear. She shrieks like fangirl and then runs off to fangirl to other people. I laugh and open the paper the find a number that has this area's area code. So I'm guessing this is his temporary number. I decide to give him a call. 

"Hello?" He answers. 

"Wassup?" 

He laughs. "Hey babe."

"Ugh. No. I don't like that nickname."

"Princess then." 

"No." 

"Honey? Dear? My b*tch?" 

"Hey! How dare you even suggest that?!" 

He laughs again. "I wanted to see how you would react. I'll call you mine then." 

"Wouldn't that be weird? 'Hey, mine' 'I love you, mine.' doesn't sound right." 

"If I say 'I love you' I would use your name. Like 'I love you, Shirley.'" 

My heart beats a little faster when he says this and the blood travels to my cheeks. "S-say that again." 

"Say what again? I love you, Shirley?" 

Once again I can feel the blood in my cheeks. "Y-yeah." 

He laughs. "What go into you? You keep stuttering. Wait, don't tell me, you love me." My cheeks are no inflamed, any more from him and my heart will explode from high blood pressure. 

"N-no, w-why would you say that?" 

He laughs, "I'm just teasing you. But I want to hear you say it too. Say 'I love you too, Kris'" I panic, not knowing what to do. I don't want to- no I can't- say it, but I made him repeat it so I have to do the same. 

"I-I love you t-too, Kris," I say, I couldn't take anymore afterwards so I hang up on him. I clutch my heart as it pounds against my ribcage. If I faint, it's all Kris's fault. My phone rings and I look to see that he's calling back. Without thinking, I press "decline" and then I throw my phone into my backpack. I walk home in a cloud paranoia, thinking that he's going to figure out my true feelings. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning I walk outside and he's waiting for me. 

"It's saturday, I demand you take me around town," he says. 

"I don't know anywhere fun, we should take Mia, she knows lots of places," I reply. 

"But I want to spend time with you." 

"I'm busy today, maybe some other time." I start to walk away but he pulls me back and makes me face him. 

"What's gotten into you? You hung up on me yesterday and when I called back you didn't pick up and now you're trying to avoid me." 

"Nothing's wrong, I just don't feel like hanging out today." 

"There's something wrong, I know here is." 

"Really, Kris, there's nothing wrong." 

"I don't believe you." 

"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!" I scream, "I want to be alone." I push his grip off my arm and I walk away without looking back. I go to the park and reach the rock wall where people stick their wishes and such. I find the newest looking one and open it up. Three words are written there, three words that everyone thows around like nothing but no one ever means it, but in my case it means the whole entire world. I rip the paper into shreds as my tears flow, it's time things end. I take out my phone and I call Kris who answers almost immediately. 

"Kris, it's time, let's break up," I say before he could even say anything. 

"What? Why?" He asks. 

"I'm tired of pretending, I have a life to live, I can't get a boyfriend if I'm pretending to be faithful to someone who isn't really my boyfriend, I think we should end this, tell the press I fell in love with another man, my reputation doesn't matter." 

"Where're you? We're gonna talk." 

"There's no talking needed, it's over Kris, let's never see each other again." I hang up on him.I unclench my fist and I watch as the papers get carried off with the wind, one word passes by my eyes and makes tears form. No matter how small I shredded the not, the word "love" still stays intact. I walk to an ice cream shop nearby and I sit there until ten, hoping that when I get home Kris won't be there. Unfortunately, my hope isn't important enough to be heard by the powers above and his car is right there the moment I turn the corner and he stares directly at me. I can't escape. 

"We need to talk," he says. 

"Why talk? I just told you, I'm tired of this charade, it's dragging me down," I say. 

"Then let's end this charade, be my girlfriend, for real," he says, walking up to me and taking my hands in his. "I love you, Shirley." I stare at him in shock. 

"I-I don't understand." 

He laughs. "Of course, the one time Kris Wu confessed to someone, he picks the clueless girl. Let me spell it out for you. I, Wu Yifan, fell in love with you, Shirley Nguyen." 

"You're lying." 

"I'm a horrible liar." 

"But all the things you said on shows." 

"Were real, your smile is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen and your tears the most touching." 

"Kris..." 

"Please let me be able to say the three words I've said before seriously. I want to be able to say 'I love you' without joking. Because really, I do love you. I don't know when I started feeling this way but all I know is, my heart no longer belongs to me." 

"When did you become so cheesy?" 

"I'm not kidding, Shirley." 

"I know..." 

"So what do you say?" 

"Can I think about it?" 

"I leave tomorrow." 

"Give me time." 

"Alright." 

"Good night, Kris." I let go of his hands and start to walk into my house but something makes me turn around and hug him. He hugs me back and kisses the top of my head. 

"Yes, I'll be your girlfriend," I whisper. I look at him and he smiles down at me. I lean to kiss him and he kisses me back. 

"You're mine now," he whispers into my ear. I blush and nod. 

"You know what that means right?" He asks. I shake my head. 

"It means thatI have the right to punch any boy who tries to make a move on you," he says, smirking. 

"Violence is not the answer," I say.

"It is when it comes to you,"

"Kris Wu, you horrible person."

"Shirley Nguyen, you love me."

I smile. "I do."

"I love you too." He smiles back. We hold each other's hands and swing them as we smile at each other/ Love fills the air as the Aquarius star shines down on us from above. Maybe horoscopes do come true once in awhile.