Chapter 1

Starlight

 

-Baekhyun-

7 years later

Baekhyun tapped the snooze button on his alarm clock and muttered a small good morning. He always woke up at the same time every day – that was before his alarm went off at exactly 6 in the morning. If his alarm could talk, she would be complaining that Baekhyun wasn’t using it properly. Hmmm…he’d always thought that that white clock of his was female. He even talked to her often though and he imagined she would answer.

The 17-year-old’s face twitched into a smile like it did every day. He was always a content child.

He went to get ready – washed his face, took a short shower then put on his school uniform slowly. It was okay; he had more than enough time to spare.

Humming softly, Baekhyun made a simple breakfast of toast, bacon and eggs. The house was empty – like it always was. While eating breakfast, the lad switched on the television and watched the morning news. Hearing the voices coming from the big TV in this dining room made it less quiet.

Just then, his phone rang and tilting his head, Baekhyun put his spoon down.

“Morning, appa!” he said cheerily into the device.

“Oh, morning, Baekki-ah! Did you eat breakfast already?” his dad said with more enthusiasm than he had. Byun Baekhyun smiled.

“Yes, did you? Will you be coming home tonight?”

“Of course I did. Oh, mianhae, my cute Baekki-ah! I got to work tonight. I have a feeling that this will work! Trust me!”

Baekhyun chuckled. His slender hands half covered his mouth, hiding his straight white teeth.

“Whatever you say, appa.”

“Ouch, that’s so cold of you, Baekki-ah~”

“I’m not, appa,” he giggled. Baekhyun’s dad could win the drama queen award if there was one.

Since he was little, his father had this crazy ambition that he would try anything that could bring money into the family. He was so crazily obsessed with his work that even Baekhyun’s mom left him. His dad knew nothing of rational thoughts – he was always doing something risky and he was resilient that it would work out.

Sometimes, Baekhyun and his father would be living in a very big mansion, money and everything. Sometimes, they could barely scrape things for living. His dad would be sobbing in a corner those days and little Baekhyun would be the strong one, cooking and keeping the household running. Maybe that was why he preferred to do things by himself. He was always left alone.

He was independent.

“Bye-bye, Baekki-ah~! I’m going to do this! The company will have a lot of money. I love you, my cute son!”

The phone then went dead and Baekhyun smiled as he snapped the phone shut. Baekhyun exhaled as he continued to munch his perfectly crispy toast. Baekhyun began thinking again.

‘I’m not going to be like my dad. I had a great ambition – one that could support me for my whole life. A stable career’

He wanted to be a public official.

 

Soo-Man High School

“Morning, Baekhyun-ah!”

“Ah, morning~!” He called back and smiled.

The birds were chirping happily as usual on that sunny spring day. It was as if they knew of Baekhyun’s ecstatic mood.

The 17-year-old hummed again as he entered the gate to his school. He was planning to graduate there on scholarship then he’d enter a prestigious university.  And then, his goal to be a public official would soon be reached. Baekhyun felt excited again. It must have shown on his fair face when some who greeted him commented on his good mood.

“Good morning, Baekhyun-sshi!”

He turned to see two classmates of his and nodded to them. “Good morning, Kyungsoo-sshi, Taemin-sshi!”’

‘I dreamed of her…’

It had been so long since he dreamed of the beautiful lady with the big white-silver angelic wings that shone brightly. She was truly beautiful. He didn’t know why he had dreamed of her again after 7 years. But it was a really good memory – good to start the day.

Baekhyun felt his ears heating up and his cheeks were probably pink. He then became lost in his thoughts as he walked.

‘But nobody knew what happened to her. The legendary actress disappeared without a trace after that play I watched. She was beautiful…’

He was too busy daydreaming about her that he accidentally knocked into someone.

‘Ow, my nose’

“Ah!” he heard the one whose shoulder’s he knocked into let out a gasp.

‘Omo, pabo Baekhyun! you shouldn’t be daydreaming so early!’ his mind chastised.

He just bumped into a girl. And she was taller than him.

“Ah, I’m so-” his words stopped as a familiar silvery-white feather fluttered in front of his widened eyes. He gasped – was this true? …Wings?

Slowly, Baekhyun looked up…his eyes trailing the faint outline of the shimmering silver wings. There was…that shining silver angel wings…

“Excuse me,” he heard her soft voice spoke and he saw a tall, beautiful girl smiling up to him. A boy with a messy hairdo that covered most of his bespectacled eyes was beside her as if waiting for her. He was dazzled and amazed.

Baekhyun was still dazed as he saw her walked away with her equally tall companion…the transparent wings swept past him. The two walked away with grace leaving the gaping Baekhyun.

More feathers fluttered in the wind as the massive wings slowly flapped.

Baekhyun’s face flushed. He couldn’t believe he finally see those magnificent wings again.   

 

'Didn't you know? That's our beauty queen, our gentle vice-president'