We All Get Chances And A Twist Of Luck

Maybe Even Girls Like Me Can Have A Chance...

 

'Come on, Ahreum! You can do it!' I told myself mentally as I stared at Kibum's back as he was staring down at the school field. I've been standing here for nearly 4 minutes and I'm pretty sure people will know what I'm up to soon.

My palms were sweating and my heart was beating so fast. I've liked Kibum for a long time and been wanting to tell him but, I'm so afraid! What if he actually rejects my feelings and humiliate me? He's the most popular boy in school! I don't think he'll just like some fat, plain and ugly girl like me. 

'If I don't tell him now, then I'll just regret this later on...' I thought. I bit my lip and inhaled. I let out my breath and walked up to him. As I walked towards him, I pulled out the scarf which I had in my jacket pocket. Hye Ju, the popular girl was right next to him, going on about this cute dress she saw in the mall. He was nodding and humming probably pretending he was listening to her.

She like many other girls in this school, like him. Well she likes nearly every single guy in this school. So, we gave her a nickname. 'The Post-It'. I know genius right? It is because she sticks to every popular guy in school and guards them aggresively as if they were hers.

As I was about to say something to grab his attention, she saw me and spun him to face her. Both him and I were shocked at what she did next. She pulled him by the collar and crashed their lips together. That was enough! I felt so nervous and then heartbroken. 

Kibum, shoved her away from him and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. He shot her a glare. 

"What the hell Hye Ju?" he asked, infuriated. 

"Sorry~" she answered in a cutesy voice and smirked at me. 

Tear were going down the sides of my face.  As the school's 'fat loser' I think I just made myself even more ugly by crying.

Kibum, followed her eyes and turned around. He gasped. "Ahreum?" he asked. I was surprised he knew my name, we never talked at all.

I dropped the scarf and covered my mouth and ran. All these years liking him from afar thinking I had a shot with him, how dumb was I?

-

I didn't want to face any one from school after what happened an hour ago so I lied that my stomach didn't feel so well and asked if I could go home. The clerk in the office called my dad and he came to pick me up.

So, now I was in my room crying my eyes out. It was so stupid! Why am I crying over someone who is not even mine? I bet now he'll think that I'm a fat stalker who's obsessed with him or something!

My parents were down stares discussing about my mental health-being. This wasn't the first time I've locked myself in my room, there were countless of times when I came home and cried my heart out before.

It all started when I entered high school and I was considered 'fat' by girls who were 20 kgs lighter than me. The problem was that I was in the healthy weight category and all of them are in the underweight category. I even heard them barfing out their food in the  girls' toilet before!

Whenever there was a school outing I'd be the only one who showed up in T-shirts and jeans while the girls would be dressed as if they were going on a runway. Then I was called 'plain&ugly'.

Then when it came to exams and I would score higher than 80% of the class then they said I was cheating, I must've had some kind of cheat sheet with me somehwere.

Then I saw Kibum, or Key, as what per what his friends were calling him. He was so cute and stylish I couldn't take my eyes off him when he first walked into our class as the new kid.

Soon he became popular along with four other handsome and cute boys. But only Key won my heart. Jinki, or Onew who was the eldest amongst Key's friends, is a close friend of mine.  Everyone knows that. Maybe that's why Key knew my name. He must've asked Onew. 

-

That night I got a text from Onew.

-

From: ChickenIdiot

Ahreum, I heard what happened today. Please meet me in our favorite spot.

-

I got changed and sneaked out of my apartment to go meet him at 'our' spot. 'Our' spot was at the park not far from my apartment. I hailed a cab and went there.

When I reached the center of the park where the big pond was, I didn't find Onew but Key?

"Oppa..." I spoke. He turned around, and wrapped around his neck was the light blue scarf I knitted for him. 

"Thanks for the scarf Ahreum." he smiled. 

I blushed. "How did you know that I wanted to give it to you?" I asked.

He flipped the inside part out and showed me in dark blue knitted initials. 'K.K.B'

"Silly girl." he chuckled. I was shocked, the popular Kibum was speaking and chuckling at an ugly girl like me!

He walked over and hugged me. "I know you've liked me for a long time and I've been wanting to ask you out..." he spoke. 

My eyes widened, am I dreaming?!

"But I'm so ugly..." I blurted.

"No, you're not. You're real. You are Song Ahreum. The smartest and sweetest girl in school." he told me.

Then he kissed me. "Song Ahreum, will you be my girlfriend?" he asked.

I nodded and we hugged again.

Then I heard clapping all around us. Onew, Jonghyun, Minho and Taemin. They were all Key's friends and they wer coming out of the bushes, clapping and smiling.

"I'm so happy to see that this story has a good ending~" Jonghyun teared up.

"Thanks Onew oppa!" I smiled and we both hugged.

"Boy, you better not be hugging my girl to much!" Key spoke in a sassy way.

We all laughed and went to a club to celebrate.

 

 

 

The End.