1

when key came into his life

 

Jonghyun walked up the street with a huge smile on his face. No, he floated. He was on his way to his girlfriend, Yoona’s house. The sky was covered in dark clouds, threatening him with rain. He decided to break into a run so he wouldn’t get soaked. Once he had finally gotten to her doorstep he smiled once again and rang the doorbell.

No one answered. Jonghyun then remembered that he had a key. He pulled it out of his pocket and opened the door. “Yoona?” he called.

She came around the corner wearing a tank and yoga pants. “You didn’t need to ring. You have a key, Jonghyun,” she said with an annoyed tone in her voice.

“I thought that I could be polite today, Yoona, today is our 6 month anniversary being together. Are you ready for our date?”

She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, about that… I think that maybe we should take a break.” She stood there with her arms folded across her chest.

“Wait, what about our date?” Jonghyun said, “I thought we were doing so well together. Yoona?”

She frowned. “Honestly Jonghyun, you are really nice, but I’m getting bored. I want to break up.”

Jonghyun just stared at her with his mouth open. “Is there another man? What did I do wrong?”

Yoona started to get annoyed. She wanted the conversation over and done with. “Jonghyun, can you just leave now?”

“No, I want to talk about this!” Jonghyun got out… a little louder than he meant it to be.

“There is absolutely nothing to talk about! I don’t like you anymore. I want you out of my house!”

He stood there, dumbfounded. That had all happened so fast. Two minutes at the most.

After a good few seconds of awkward silence, she spoke up “Goodbye Jonghyun,” she said and then pushed him out her front door.

He stood there on her front porch for a second. His mind hadn’t processed this just yet. He looked at the sky, which was now producing a heavy waterfall of rain. He silently thought to himself, Perfect time for rain. Jonghyun began to walk off towards his home, letting the rain fall onto his face and conceal his flowing tears.

 

 

It had been three days since Yoona had left him. Jonghyun felt more depressed than ever. His relationship with Yoona had produced his most precious memories. He always thought before he went to sleep every night that they would one day get married. He pictured a beautiful wedding on the beach, but the only pretty thing he would see would be Yoona, in her snow, white, dress… They would have a child; He had always wanted a girl. He would take her to school every day before he headed to work. He would work at a big company as the CEO and he would make a lot of money. He and Yoona would meet up at the café by his office for lunch and they would talk about all the different little things that would make good conversation and help them grow closer.

Jonghyun snapped back to reality, for he realized he had tears on his cheeks. He was lying in bed. The clock read 4:34 a.m. He knew needed to get at least a little bit of sleep. He tossed and turned slipping in and out of consciousness for the next two hours.

The oh-so-lovely sound of his alarm clock screeched it’s random noises like it does every morning. Those screeches usually meant, ‘Get your out of bed and to work or I won’t stop screaming.’ He lazily slammed his hand against it, grateful that the terrible noise was gone. He mumbled to himself, “I need to get an alarm that doesn’t sound like a dying person singing along to heavy metal music.” Amused by the comment he made, he went to take a shower and get ready for work. He never minded working at the little corner café. His fellow employees were good friends and he didn’t run into trouble very often.

 

“Annyeong haseyo,” Jonghyun called, walking through the café’s back entrance.

“Jonghyun, is that you? I need you to wipe down the tables and the counter!”

He grabbed a rag, and got to work.  He had just finished with the last table when Onew came around the corner. Whenever the owner of the café wasn’t around, Onew was in charge… so he was in charge a lot.

 

The other employees arrived one by one, greeting them with tired faces.

“It’s time to open. Go out there, Jonghyun, and flip the sign thingy to say open.”

He did as he was told and immediately went into the kitchen to get a notepad. He was one of the waiters, so he didn’t actually have to do any work until customers would arrive.

A few people came in and sat themselves down. Jonghyun sighed and started taking orders, bringing drinks, and dropping of bills at different tables. About an hour later when the early morning rush was over, he sat behind the counter and read the daily newspaper, waiting for more people to arrive. “Huh, an earthquake, two car crashes, a murder, and the daily weather forecast. How lovely,” he muttered to himself. A few minutes later, the late morning rush of people started to pile in.

“Hello, and welcome to the café, what would you like to order today?” Jonghyun said and flashed a smile to the man.

Without looking up from his cell phone he said, “A coffee will be fine.” Jonghyun always got frustrated when this happened.

His smile was now gone and he turned around to go to the kitchen. Before he had had a chance to walk away, the man slapped his . “Hey!” Jonghyun yelled. Other customers turned and stared at him. The man acted as if nothing happened. He stormed off to the kitchen. He made sure to spit in his coffee before he took it out to the stupid guy. He dropped it off at his table and didn’t hesitate to walk away quickly. Argh, Today is going to be pretty long, he thought. He was right.

He was taking a customer’s order, when another waiter came out and dropped a tray full of coffees on the floor. Broken cups and coffee was everywhere. He cussed in Korean, but Jonghyun hadn’t realized that.

Instinctively, he shouted back to him in Korean, “Hey! Don’t cuss! You can be a sailor when there aren’t a ton of people here!”

The waiter threw him a mean look. He said in English, “Clean this up, Hoobae.”

Jonghyun was pissed, but he couldn’t disobey an order from someone who was higher up than him. Different people were looking around confused; He remembered that he wasn’t supposed to speak Korean in the café with people around. So he got to cleaning the mess up, and people thankfully didn’t stare at him for too long.

---

“Jonghyun, close up for me today okay?” he heard a voice call. Sighing and answering back with frustration in his tone, he said, “Fine.”

About an hour later it was finally time to close. It was late and Jonghyun was glad to be going home. He immediately headed for the shower once he stepped inside his apartment. But then he saw the blinking light on his answering machine in the hallway. He went and pressed the button. “Hey! Hyung we’re gonna go to the bar tonight and have a few drinks. We want you to come too, so were gonna pick you up at nine o’ clock. Kay? Okay then. Bye.” Jonghyun looked at the clock. ‘8:36 huh? Well, I guess that’s fine.’ Instead of showering he went to his closet and put on a v-neck, red, t-shirt and some grey skinny jeans. As he was told, at nine o’ clock rolled around and his friends, Donhae, Eunhyuk, and Sungmin came by in Donghae’s car. 20 minutes later they were all talking and drinking in the bar.

“Jonghyun, how are you and Yoona doing?” Sungmin asked.

Jonghyun had completely forgotten about Yoona’s little episode a week ago. Without hesitation he said, “She broke up with me. She said that she’s bored with me.”

Sungmin raised an eyebrow. “So she’s a player huh? I’m sorry man.”

“It’s okay,” Jonghyun said, “She just wasn’t the one.”

Sungmin gave him a sad look and turned to Donghae, who had just said something that made Eunhyuk laugh uncontrollably.

Jonghyun felt himself forgetting about Yoona while socializing with his friends. His mood continued to improve, and it wasn’t a result of the alcohol he had been consuming.

Eunhyuk was totally wasted. Donghae apologized and took him back to their place. Now it was just Sungmin and Jonghyun. They started to talk about Sungmin’s love life.

“Hey Sungmin, you got a girlfriend?” Jonghyun  asked.

“No… actually… I wanted to talk to you about that. There’s… well, I have a boyfriend.”

Jonghyun sat there with his mouth hanging open. He never thought that Sungmin was gay. He never liked gay people. He had thought it was wrong to be gay. “Wow… Sungmin.”

“I know, I know. I never thought that I was gay, until I met this guy,” he said, “If you don’t want to be around me any more I totally understand.”

Jonghyun thought fast; he said, “I will not stop being your friend over something like this Sungmin. I don’t care what your love interests are. And they should NOT affect our friendship.” And this was completely true. Jonghyun didn’t want to lose a friend who was dear to him.

Sungmin could only smile at him for a sec. “Thank you Jonghyun. You’re awesome.” They both gave each other a hug.

Shortly after, they both left the bar and went their separate ways. Donghae had taken the car, so Jonghyun was walking home at 12:30 at night. Maybe it wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but he really had no choice so that was that.

 

 

A few days later, Jonghyun was in the café reading the morning newspaper like he did every day. He sat on the counter like he always did, but he was interrupted by a scary voice.

“Get your pretty little off that counter!”

To his horror, Jonghyun looked up to see one of the scariest men in the world. That person’s name was Choi Minho, and he was his boss.

“M-Minho, what are you doing here?” Jonghyun stammered as he threw his newspaper under the counter.

“I’m here to tell you that I hired another waiter. He starts next week, but I need all of you guys to train him. He doesn’t know about waiting tables, or working for that matter.”

Jonghyun couldn’t believe it. “Then why the hell did you hire him?”

Minho exhaled deeply, “His parents died a month ago, and I’m his uncle, so he came to me right away. How can you turn someone down when their parents just died? Ugh.”

“So is he living with you?” said Jonghyun.

“Oh that’s the other thing I wanted to tell you about. He’s gonna live with you Jonghyun.”

Jonghyun stood there for a second. WHAT THE ? I don’t know this goddamn kid! He tried to reply with a calm tone, but his voice still came out strained, “Um, and why does he have to live at my house?”

“Well, he can’t live with me. I don’t like having people in my house, Jonghyun. And if you don’t do this, you should remember that I’m your boss, and I can let you go just as easily.”

Jonghyun was shocked. He knew his boss was unfair at times, but he didn’t think that unfairness would sink to this level. He had to do it or he would surely get fired or punished in some way. … my… life…

Minho smirked at him. “Calm yourself. He’s not that bad. He’ll be at your place next week on Monday. And don’t forget to train him at work. I’m leaving for Japan, so I won’t be around.”

Jonghyun was pissed, and it made him even more pissed that he couldn’t talk back to this guy. All he could muster up was, “Fine.”

“Good boy. Now go do your work. I need to talk to some other employees.”

Jonghyun sighed in defeat. He didn’t even know the guy. Well, I guess I’ll know him next week.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hello everyone^^ this is the first chapter. i have another fanfic i may be working on while i'm writing this, but this one will be my first priority. this is the second fanfic i've written, so please tell me what i can do better, and what is good. please subscribe. and comment. if you just do that it will mean the world to me!!! also, the gif's and pictures i put up may have nothing to do with the story. the one for this chapter just made me laugh. thanks guys!

 

                                                                                                                                                                                            <3 liz