I

Ethereal Love

Eleven. It’s been eleven months.
 
[Krystal]
 
That day started as ordinary. I woke Amber up with a kiss and shared hundreds of kisses after until we were both hungry and late for work. The milkman dropped two bottles of fresh milk on the doorstep, not three like the day before. The pancakes were not burnt. The traffic was heavy but I was still able to make it before my boss arrived.
 
The day started good, actually.
 
If I have known what would happen a few hours later, I would have comforted Jiyoung on her gangster boyfriend and not scold her. I would have visited Sulli in her magazine shoot. I would have answered my sister’s calls. I would have finished my designs and passed them on time to Mrs. Ong. I would have eaten my favorite chicken meal from my favorite restaurant for lunch with Amber.  Above all, I would have bid my farewells properly.
 
“It’s just a jacket, Amber!” I yelled over the phone as I opened the door to my car. “What the hell is your problem?”
 
“It is a vintage jacket, Krys!” Amber yelled over the line. “I don’t think no one would know that now after you’ve put flowery beads at the back of it. Where are you by the way?” She breathed out.
 
“On the way to the supermarket,” I said as I maneuvered my car towards the exit of our building’s basement parking lot. “I’ll buy dinner. Barbeque sounds nice?”
 
“Yeah.” Amber chuckled. “Drive by Hongdae since the traffic’s not that bad there. And buy me a beer, ok? I’ll order pizza.”
 
“Sure. Barbeque, pizza and beer, huh? Did I ruin your jacket that bad, Miss photographer-slash-business woman-slash-artist-slash-lover?” I giggled.
 
“You bet! But I had a long day to begin with. Clients are pretty demanding.” She said. “See you at home. I’ll be clocking out in a minute.”
 
“Alright! Bye. Love ‘ya!”
 
“Love you, too.” Then she hung up. I tossed my phone on the passenger seat; I heard a glass crack.
                                                        
“.” I cussed- that would be the glass designs I need to rush tonight, as I roared the car to life before the stoplight turned green.
 
“Come on.” I whispered/ begged as I hit my horn several times so that the red Volkswagen in front of me would run faster, because right now, my mini Cooper is in the middle of the intersection; the yellow light just , the green threatening to light up any moment.                                                                                                                                                                  
 

 
The doorbell kept ringing and it irritated Amber to no end. How many times have she told Luna to not disturb her in the morning? That whatever urgent office matter can only be dealt in the afternoon when she goes to work? If only she could fire the girl…
 
With a dreadful hangover, Amber crawled out of her junkyard of a bed and walked barefoot towards her door.
 
True enough, an anxious, pale-looking and wet Luna greeted her with a forced sunny disposition. “B-Boss Amber, good morning.”
 
“What is it this time, Luna?” Amber leaned on the doorframe. “How many times have I to—”
 
“It’s really urgent this time, Boss!” Luna cut her out, which surprised Amber for a bit. “The studio has been hostaged.”
 
“What?”
 
Luna nervously wrung her fingers. “Victoria Song came earlier and demanded for Sulli’s photos. I told her that she’d need to come back in the afternoon since you’ll be in the studio by then. But she snatched the studio’s keys and pushed me out. She told me that until she gets her talent’s photos, the studio is hers.”
 
Amber pinched her nose bridge to ease the forming hurricane towards her head. “Have you called Henry?”
 
“Yes.” Luna answered promptly. “But he’s still in Jeju for the Maxim shoot.”
 
“Have you called the artists?”
 
“I did but no one’s answering. I think they’re all drunk.”
 
“,” Amber cussed. The boys had a rough week due to the studio’s deliverables that’s why she brought them out for a drink last night. And judging by how all of them barely went home alive, they’d still be in a drunken state of sleep. They’re basically dead not until five hours later.
 
“What will we do, Boss?”
 
Amber looked down at the panic-stricken girl. “I’ll just take a shower.” She was about to slam the door on the poor girl’s face, when she thought otherwise. “Come in.”
 
Luna was flooded by relief with the offer. She had to brace through the rain to get here after all. Her muscles are ice under her skin.
 
She gingerly stepped in her boss’ apartment, which hasn’t really changed much since probably 10 months ago.
 
“Find a seat and don’t touch anything.” Amber said before entering the bathroom with a blue towel draped on her shoulder.
 
Luna looked around and sighed. Empty bottles of liquor were the main décor of the unit. Clothes were scattered everywhere. Take-out pizza boxes were stacked all over the place like sacred mementos. There was no seat she can occupy without touching anything.
 
Except for a certain spot by the glass window.
 
It was a large portrait of a lady’s beauty shot. The lady, with her bare shoulders and wavy hair, posed gracefully; her eyes sharp and deep. And like a true goddess, her shrine was spotless.
 
Luna bowed and greeted, “Annyeonghaseyo, Krystal-ssi.”
 

 
Amber handed over the brown, heavy envelope to the ferocious Victoria Song. “There was no need for such thing to happen, Tori. Having the studio hostaged is kind of pointless; admit it. You’ll have the photos even if you didn’t do such an extensive act.”
 
“I doubt it.” Victoria spat out as she returned the studio’s keys to Amber. “You know that time is very important to me, Amber. I can’t afford tiny glitches in everything I do. Besides, there’s an emerging new It Girl in the industry. There’s no room for another competitor. I know you know that. With these photos, Sulli would still be able to hold on to her number one spot.”
 
“Well, Sulli is a versatile model. She’s great in her field. It’ll be a pleasure to work with her once again. An androgynous concept would look good on her.” Amber said. “Anyway, those photos are already edited. Raw files stay with us, so if there’s anything that you want to modify more, give us a call.”
 
“As long as it would not take forever, of course.” Victoria said as she stood up and took her car keys from her red Gucci bag. “Honestly, Amber, if you weren’t recommended by Sulli, I would’ve backed out on the first chance.”
 
“Good thing that Sulli and I are friends then. I’ll give her a call to show my appreciation.”
 
Victoria gave her a look and turned around with her hair swaying in perfect slow motion.
 
Amber stared at the voluptuous back of the former supermodel until she stepped out of her office’s glass doors. “Such a .”
 
Her office phone suddenly rang; the phone showing that the call was from the reception area. “Ne, Luna. What is it?”
 
“Boss, your brother’s on Line 2.”
 

 
“You went to London and this is what I get from you?” Amber asked, showing off the British flag keychain her brother handed to her earlier. The two met in a nearby coffee shop.
 
“Just be grateful you got something.” Jonghyun raised his voice, defending himself. “All I have for Donghae hyung is a British hairpin.”
 
Amber sipped her coffee as she looked at her brother’s distraught face. She was confused at first on why her brother would adamantly want to meet her in the middle of the day. They’d be meeting in the weekend anyway for a mandatory Sibling Reunion. Then she suddenly said, “Jonghyun, I have no money.”
 
“What?” Jonghyun looked at his sister with a shocked expression. “What are you talki—”
 
She shook her head and snickered. Amber knows her brother too well. “You are borrowing money. And I’m telling you, I don’t have.”
 
“Just a few bucks.” He said. “I’ll pay you; I promise. The band is booked for like two straight weeks. That’s cold, hard cash right there. Please.”
 
“Where did all your savings go? You just stayed there for like three days, you know.”
 
Jonghyun sighed and dropped his head on the maple table. “Key took all of it. And I really mean all of it. I should’ve just brought him to Jeju. There were so many boutiques in London that I should’ve blindfolded Key while we were strolling. That—”
 
“Alright. Alright. Stop the drama.” Amber exhaled loudly, which prompts Jonghyun to be alive once more.
 
“Really?!” He asked with round eyes while wearing a boyish smile. “You’re the best dongsaeng ever!”
 
“One month, Jong, else I’ll hunt you down.” Amber warned as she gave her brother her credit card. “Her birthday is coming up.”
 
 
**********
 
Just in case, the horizontal lines denote a change in scene, ok? It could be a of point of view -- it's a change of scene. If you've got questions, you have the democratic right to ask me. Don't be shy. I won't eat you~ ^^
 
[08.23.12] Alright, guys! So it won't be as confusing as eff, the italicized scenes are PAST SCENES :)) or FLASHBACKS :))
 
So, an update for your thoughts? ㅋㅋㅋ Tell them to me! Write them on the comments section below! Or send me a message. I'll be waiting for you~
 
Oh, and yeah, don't forget to click the SUBSCRIBE button up there! Thank you!
 
SHEINee