Someone Has to Lose

Why Don't You Just Jump?

 

 

(JunHong’s POV)

YongGuk and I hadn’t planned for things to go as perfectly as they did. It was just a shot in the dark, really. We both knew that if Saya sat with us then HyoSung would be provoked to come over. We didn’t know if lunch would go horribly wrong or amazingly right. Thank God it was the latter. I had HyoSung off my back and Saya by my side. I also had the best detention of my life which was spent secretively passing fluffy notes to my girlfriend. Yes, my girlfriend, Saya. It felt so good to say that.

 

(Saya’s POV)

I was still unbelievably happy when I got home. My brain just kept repeating the same thoughts over and over.

Junhong didn’t cheat on me.

He waited for me.

He loves me.

I was so excited to tell JongUp that I ran up the stairs and threw open his bedroom door without knocking.

“Omo!”

JongUp was entangled on his bed with Minzy unnie, making out with her. They actually rolled off the bed in surprise.

“I’m sorry!” I squealed and quickly shut the door. I shook my head vigorously trying to get the image of JongUp and Minzy out of my head. I scurried to my room and shut the door. I stayed there for about half an hour until I heard a knock on my door.

“Yes?”

“Can I come in?” JongUp’s voice asked.

“Um…sure…”

He opened the door and came to sit next to me on my bed.

“So…I should’ve locked my door…”

“You think?! What if that was mom or dad? You know mom isn’t fond of knocking!”

“Yeah, I know, I normally lock it but I guess I –”

“What do you mean you normally lock it? Have you been home alone with Minzy unnie before?!”

JongUp blushed and cleared his throat. “Well, yeah, we’ve been here alone before…”

I squeezed my eyes shut trying to get awkward images of my JongUp and Minzy out of my head again.

“Ugh, oppa, let’s not talk about this anymore, please!”

“Well just so you we’re official now, Minzy and I, we’re not just frolicking around.”

“Jinjja? Congratulations oppa!”

JongUp nodded his thanks looking quite pleased with himself. “But why were you in so much of a rush that you burst into my room?”

“Oh! You won’t believe it! JunHong and I are back together!”

I didn’t know what reaction I was expecting from JongUp but it wasn’t for him to just roll his eyes and say, “Finally!”

“Wha???”

“I was wondering when you’d get it in your thick head that that poor boy was telling you the truth.”

My jaw dropped. “You knew?! Why didn’t you say something??”

“You wouldn’t have listened to me, you would’ve thought I was siding with JunHong and you would’ve hated me. I did, however, get you to realize that you should give him a second chance.”

“Well, yes, but how did you know JunHong was genuine?” It seemed everyone had known except my pabo self.

“That day when I found you sleeping with HimChan. It was JunHong and YongGuk that told me HimChan was here. JunHong was pretty worried. By the time I got back here I had a million missed calls from JunHong and he was so frantic when I called him to let him know you were ok I thought he had to be for real.”

“Uwa~ I’m so lucky he waited for me.”

“You are. He must love you a lot.”

I blushed because I remembered JunHong’s confession and our kiss.

“Does HimChan know?” JongUp asked.

“No…not yet…why do you care though? You hate HimChan.”

“I do dislike him a lot but I can’t deny that he helped you out. I mean, you sat with my friends the other day and you were fine.  That is thanks to him. And he comforted you when I couldn’t.”

“I used him,” I said quietly.

JongUp sighed. “We all make mistakes, Saya. I’m sure HimChan will forgive you. He worships the ground you walk on.”

“I feel bad for him, though. Now he has no one.”

“He’ll find someone, trust me. He will get over you someday and he will find someone else.”

“Oppa~ you always give me the best advice.”

He smiled and put his arm around me. “I’m always here for you, don’t forget that.”

I nodded. “I should talk to HimChan.”

“I’ll take that as my cue to leave. Good luck with that punk.” JongUp ruffled my hair and walked out the door. I took a deep breath, picked up my phone and dialled HimChan.

“Saya!” He greeted. “What’s up?”

“Hey, I just wanted to tell you something…just so you know…”

“What is it?”

“Um…JunHong and I are back together. I found out he didn’t actually cheat on me.”

“O-Oh…”

“I just thought I should tell you…”

There was silence on the other side of the line. Why had I decided to do this again?

“HimChan?”

“Yeah, I’m-I’m here.”

“Gwaenchanha?”

“I-I don’t know.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered. And I was, for hurting HimChan like this after I soaked up his affection to feel better.

“I hoped…I mean…I was worried when you told me you two were talking again. And…I hoped you two would just stay as friends and you and I could be more than that.”

“I’m sorry,” I said again. I didn’t know what else to say.

“But I have to say I thought we had something. At the dance, we kissed. On that that day when you called me and I came over…we kissed. I held you until you feel asleep –” He stopped talking because his voice cracked. I felt like I was breaking up with him even though we hadn’t been a real couple and I started to feel a bit cheap doing this over the phone.

“HimChan, can I come see you?”

“You want to see me cry?” He asked bitterly, his voice stuffy.

“No, HimChan, I just feel like I should talk to you face to face. Can I come over?”

“Sure…” He hung up.

As I left my room I shouted to JongUp that I’d be back.

“Where are you going?” He asked, poking his head out of his doorway.

“I’m going to see HimChan.”

He raised his eyebrows.

“I don’t want to have a serious conversation over the phone.”

“Do you want me to come with you?”

“No, oppa, really, I’ll be back.” I said, going down the stairs.

“Be careful!” He shouted after me.

 

(HimChan’s POV)

When I got a text from Saya saying she was outside my house I took a deep breath, got up from the couch in the living room and went to open the door. She was so beautiful even though she wasn’t wearing any makeup and she was dressed in a school hoodie and shorts. I just sighed and stepped aside so that she could come in. I knew I didn’t have any right to be this upset; I was the one who had ruined my chance with Saya. Looking back, I couldn’t believe I had ever tried to take advantage of her. What the hell had I been thinking?

I led Saya to the back porch where we sat in the cool, afternoon breeze.

“Do you want anything?” I asked. “Milk or juice or a snack?”

She smiled and shook her head. I tried not to stare at the way her hair moved gently from side to side. I was a complete idiot to ruin what I had with Saya.

“HimChan, I’m sorry,” she said.

“You don’t have anything to be sorry for.”

“Yes, I do,” she answered more firmly than I expected. “I-I took advantage of you.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I knew you cared about me and I used you. I missed JunHong and I wanted to feel better so…I used your affection. I’m sorry –”

“Honestly, Saya, I don’t even care.”

“Wh-what?”

“I don’t care. I deserve whatever I get after the way I treated you. And even if you did use me haven’t we still gotten closer? We’re not a couple but at least we’re friends, right?” I asked, trying not to sound too desperate.

Saya looked thoughtful for a while then she nodded. “I-I also wanted to say thank you. You helped me a lot, HimChan. You helped me become more confident and you were there for me. Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me for anything. Not after what I did…”

“Don’t let it eat you up inside. I forgive you, HimChan. If I’ve learned anything in these past months it’s that we all make mistakes but we can forgive each other and move on. It took me a while but I forgive you.”

I felt like a breath I’d been holding since that night I made Saya run away from me was released.

“Thank you. I really needed to know that.”

She smiled.

“So are we still allowed to hang out every now and then?” I asked.

“Of course we can. You were there for me and I’ll be there for you.”

“But what about Zelo?”

“I’m sure it won’t bother him if we hang out sometimes. JunHong is really sweet and understanding.”

I just nodded. I really didn’t want to hear good things about JunHong right now.

“Well…I guess I should go before JongUp starts to worry.”

We stood and began walking to the front door. I didn’t know how long it would take me to get over Saya or if I ever would but I had told her before that I preferred she was happy without me than with me; it just that her being happier meant her being with JunHong.

“Annyeong~ I’ll see at school!”

Saya left and I waved sadly back.


 

Urgh, it was so hard writing this. I actually feel really bad for HimChan ;_;