Always

Always

I was finally back in Korea after 5 years, and everything has changed. 3 of my friends have gotten married, one is now a very famous actress and another is a millionaire, and my best friend is dead.

I thought about all these things that have changed, the life that no longer existed, as I walked towards the green mounds under which friends, relatives, and loved ones now lie. At the top of the low hill were two headstones, and sitting in front of one, a silhouette contrasted against the golden glow of the afternoon sky, was a blonde-haired girl. I squinted to see who it was in the little light that the setting sun provided. The girl lifted her head when she heard me approach and put on that faint crooked smile of hers.

“Taeyeon-ah.” She called my name and patted the grass beside her, motioning for me to sit down with her.

“Jessica? Is that you?” I had to ask to confirm as she has changed a lot from when I last saw her. She has changed her hair color, black highlights added to her blonde straight shoulder length hair, and her snow-white skin was now even paler than it used to be.

“Yes. It’s me.” Jessica nodded and turned her attention back to the grave. She reached out a hand to trace the name carved on the headstone and painted in pink, her faint smile growing more prominent. “Why don’t you say hello to Tiffany? She has been waiting for you.”

I put down the pink roses that I have brought and bowed low once before sitting down and also placing my hand on the cold hard surface of the granite. I can almost imagine Tiffany sitting with us, smiling so happily that her eyes have curved into beautiful crescents.

“Fany-ah, are you doing well? I’ve brought you your favorite flowers. I hope you’ll enjoy them.” I asked my dead friend, tears gathering in my eyes as I remembered all the years we were together. “You’re probably in heaven right now, right? You were the kindest and nicest person I’ve ever met, so you’ve probably become one of the prettiest angels… I’m sorry. I was going to come earlier but my job did not allow me to take such a long leave. I’m such a bad friend, aren’t I?”

“No you aren’t Tae. She understands.” Jessica answered me. “Don’t cry, you’re going to make Tiffany sad. She’s really happy to see you.”

 I gave Jessica a thanking smile and wiped away my tears. “You’re right. She hated it whenever I cried. She always cried along with me so that we can share the pain. She was always such a good friend.”

“I know.” She replied, looking at the pink letters with eyes full of love. “She has a really big warm heart.”

I nodded in agreement and reached for her hand, but she backed away.

“Sorry Jessica.” I immediately apologized, scolding myself for forgetting that the girl doesn’t like to be comforted by anyone but Tiffany. “Why are you here so late?”

“I was talking with Tiffany.” Jessica replied, not even looking at me. “You should go. It’s getting dark and it’s not safe.”

Nodding, I glanced at the already dark blue sky and stood up to leave. “What about you?”

“I’ll be fine.”

I bowed once again, said goodbye to Tiffany, and promised to visit her again soon. I looked at the seated girl one last time, worried for her wellbeing.

“Jessica. You have to accept that Tiffany’s gone. You can’t live like this forever, you have to move on.” I told her.

Jessica looked up at me and smiled genuinely as if she believes what she is saying. “I know. I’ve already moved on.”

I frowned in confusion, but decided to leave her alone, figuring only time can heal her broken heart.

~~

“Hey Sunny!” I greeted the short girl behind the counter as I stepped into her café.

“Taengoo!” She came running to me and attacked me with a big hug. “I heard you arrived yesterday.”

“Yes. Sorry I didn’t come over; I went to visit Tiffany.” I told her, hugging her back as tightly.

 “Oh, you should have told me; I would have gone with you.” Sunny seated me at a table and took a seat opposite me.

“It’s alright. It was pretty late already when I got here.”

“You went at night?!” She exclaimed in surprise.

“Evening actually.” I corrected, wondering it was such a big issue. “And I have something to ask you. Is Jessica all right?”

“W-what?” Sunny stuttered, her face paling. “I guess she’s fine… Why?”

“I think Tiffany’s death has affected her strongly. You know how much they loved each other. It must be hard to accept that your other half is gone and left you incomplete. Jessica might not be strong enough to go through this by herself.”

“Ye-yeah… it was pretty hard on her.” She looked flustered. Her eyes darting around the room and never meeting mine, her tongue poking against the inside of her cheek, and her fingers unconsciously scratching off her nail polish. Sunny was nervous. “Didn’t you get the letter I sent you shortly after Tiffany’s death?”

“What letter? I moved houses so if you sent it to the old address, I didn’t get it.” I answered, feeling truly curious and even slightly suspicious. “Why? Jessica did not look so well when I saw her yesterday.”

“You saw Jessica yesterday?!” Sunny repeated, her face losing even more color and her eyes growing wide.

“Yeah. She was at Tiffany’s grave when I went there yesterday. We even talked for a while. And then I came back while she stayed back.” I told her, feeling really confused.

“You saw Jessica and even talked to her?!” Sunny exclaimed again.

I raised my eyebrows, wondering if something was wrong with her hearing. “Uh… that’s what I just said. What’s wrong?”

“Jessica’s not supposed to be here.”

“Maybe she came back but didn’t tell you.”

“No, that’s impossible.” She shook her head furiously. Her eyes were wide with fear.

“And why is that?” A shiver ran down my spine although I was lost at understanding what she was trying to say.

“There were two graves on the hill, right?” Sunny waited for my confirmation before continuing. “Did you look at the other one?”

“I didn’t. Isn’t that Mrs. Hwang?”

“No, it’s not.”

“Then who does it belong to?”

“Taeyeon…” Sunny voice lost its volume as she uttered the last word. “It’s her.”

“Who?” I leaned closer so that I could hear her faint words.

Sunny closed her eyes and answered me softly. “Jessica’s dead.”

“What?! But I just saw her yesterday!” I dropped the cookie I was holding in shock.

“That was what the letter was about.” Sunny explained. “When Tiffany died suddenly on the day of their wedding, Jessica went into depression. She would not talk to anyone and she would not come out of her room. And one day, she committed suicide by overdose, at the place Tiffany’s accident occurred. She left behind a note apologizing to her family and all her friends and said that she was going after Tiffany because she cannot live without her. We tried to save her but we were too late.”

I listened in silence, my mind slowly processing all that was happening. The way Jessica looked very pale, the way she did not let me get near her, the way she used the present tense to talk about Tiffany; I had thought that it was because she cannot accept Tiffany’s death, but now I knew that it was actually because she was still together with Tiffany in the present. I did not know what to feel: to be scared that I talked to a ghost last night, angry that Jessica would do something like that, or overwhelmed by the strength of Jessica and Tiffany’s love. ‘I know. I have moved on.So that’s what she meant.

“Sunny, would you come with me?” I asked the girl, taking her hand as I stood up shakily.

“Yes.” She nodded gravely and led me to her car.

We drove back to the cemetery in silence, both lost in our own thoughts. We walked up the hill hand in hand, supporting each other, our eyes concentrating on the two graves at the top. The sun shined brightly on top of our heads and green blades of grass rustled in the cool morning breeze. We paused when we got to the top, catching our breaths while looking around. There was no one and nothing else, except the beautiful scenery and the two head stones. My eyes once again fell onto the name written in bright pink.

Tiffany Hwang-Jung

a.k.a Hwang Miyoung

September 9th 2011

“Love will always find the way.”

Sunny pulled my hand slightly, trying to get my attention. She pointed to the other headstone, which I had assumed belonged to Tiffany’s mother.

“Jessica.” She told me and dragged me over to it. “We decided to put their last names together. That was how it would be if they got married.”

Her headstone was carved as beautifully as Tiffany’s is, and the writings were all in the same style. The only differences were that the letters were painted gold and the last lines were different.

Jessica Hwang-Jung

a.k.a Jung Sooyeon

September 11th 2011

“Follow your heart.”

I should feel sad, upon losing two great friends together. But all I could feel was happiness, I was happy for them, for I knew that even after death, Jessica and Tiffany are together.

“Taetae! Sunny!” I heard a voice calling us, and I turned to see Jessica and Tiffany running up the hill, hands linked. Jessica was wearing what she had on yesterday, and Tiffany was still in her wedding gown. It was more obvious in the bright daylight that they were not like Sunny and me. They were visible, but their bodies were translucent. However, bright joyful smiles lit up their faces and their melodious laughter filled the air around us as they ran towards us.

The couple stopped a distance away from us, unable to get closer.

“Jessi told me you came yesterday, and I thought I was never going to see you again!” Tiffany told me and pouted.

I smiled back at her, really happy that I got one last chance to see my best friend again. “Well, here I am!”

“Tae, who are you talking to?” Sunny asked, looking right in the direction of Jessica and Tiffany but not seeing them.

“Tiffany. They’re standing right there!” I pointed, but Sunny did not see.

“People are not supposed to see us. I don’t know why you can though.” Jessica explained, and grinned sheepishly. “And I guess you finally found out. Sorry I wasn’t able to tell you yesterday, I figured that I might scare you away.”

“I’m not scared of you. Ok, maybe I am still a little freaked out by this abnormal ability to see you.” I laughed dorkily as I usually do, making all three of my friends laugh along.

“Anyways Tae, we have to go now. I stayed behind to wait for Jessi until we’re both free to go; He’s calling us.” Tiffany looked up at Jessica with a smile, and the latter leaned forward to kiss her on the lips lovingly.

“Alright. I’m happy to see you again. I love you both.” Tears began to sting my eyes but I tried to keep them in. Goodbyes were always the hardest to say, especially if they’re going to be gone forever.

“Bye Taeyeon and Sunny!” Tiffany opened her arms wide as if trying to hug me. I did the same, sharing the air hug.

“Bye, you two. Be happy too!” Jessica waved at us and they started down the hill again, walking with arms around each other.

“Goodbye!” I waved back and Sunny followed suit.

“They’re gone now?”

“Yes. Together. That’s how they’ll always be.” We smiled, filled with the bliss that Jessica and Tiffany left us in.