1.

Your Only Angel

 

God loves his people. That’s what everyone is taught, and it is a fact. He loves you when you’re in pain; he loves you when you’re at your lowest; he loves you unconditionally and infinitely.

So why can’t an angel do the same?

Suho supposed there was difference—Angels were meant to guide not love. If they were the branches of God’s work, then they do what God needs help to do. But then there was the difference of loving as one’s own and being in love.

And Suho was definitely in love.

“You’re watching her again, aren’t you.” Kyungsoo, a Guardian Angel who spent most of his time watching over the hospital’s elderly ward, sat next to Suho as he peered down in between the clouds. His words were more of a declaration than a question.

Suho’s wings curled down in his embarrassment. He knew he’d be caught sooner or later. Usually Guardians weren’t assigned specific people, and this girl in particular hadn’t even been assigned to him in the first place.

The first time this girl ever appeared, she was helping someone who had just been hit by a car, Suho’s real assignment. He was meant to talk the man through the ride on the way to the hospital, but the girl had done his job for him and insisted on being in the ambulance to help.

“She’s different.” Suho continued to stare. “She’s kind—not like most of them.”

“It is not our job to judge them. They don’t know any better.” Kyungsoo corrected his friend. “She is merely one of billions—”

“I don’t care. She’s lovely.” He stood up, making a trail towards the gates. “I want to see her—”

“Stop!” Kyungsoo grabbed Suho’s arm in an attempt to keep him near. “You know that’s not allowed. We can only go down when we have assignments!”

Suho tore himself away from his friends grip and dove into the gap of the clouds just before the gate, a trick way out that not many of them knew of. Kyungsoo made a fast pace to bear over the escape route, ready to dive down just to bring Suho back before any of the other guardians would suspect anything, but a voice came to his ears instead.

Let him go.

**

Suho closed his eyes as the wind ripped against his face. His wings stayed close to his body, clinging to him as not to resist anything. The pain of the wind forced his fists to clench, his skin burning with the friction.

As the ground got closer and closer, the wind became smooth. Suho opened his wings slowly, riding the wind over the streets.

The people below continued their daily routines, unaware that just above their heads, there was an angel desperately looking for one girl among hundreds. By now they were heading home as the sun had begun to set not an hour before.

An unfamiliar tugging crawled over Suho’s torso as he got closer and closer to the ground. Taking his eyes off where he was going, he felt for his wings as they peaked higher and higher until they were practically standing up vertically from his body. This had never happened before, and he didn’t understand entirely why his wings were doing such things until—

“AHH!” Suho crashed onto the sidewalk. He rolled over onto his back, bearing down on the knew scuffs on his arm. Ignoring the pain for the time being, Suho anxiously reached over to his back but found nothing.

His wings were gone.

He knew he was in trouble when the stinging in his arm wouldn’t cease. Normally, Guardian Angels never dealt with physical pain, only emotional. He didn’t know how to treat his wound. The angel stayed on the concrete, sprawled out as he prayed to Kyungsoo to come down immediately to help him, but he found no answer almost as if he had been barred from contacting anyone up in heaven.

Suho closed his eyes, gripping his arm to try and numb the pain. And before he could analyze the tugging on his eyelids, he had succumb to sleep, something Angels rarely did.

**

Sir? Sir! Sir, are you okay?

Suho groaned as he shifted on the concrete, the cuts on his arm still raw and fresh.

Omo, please, be okay. Sir!

And there she was. Suho opened his eyes to find a young girl praying over him, her hands folded together neatly as she shut her eyes. She mumbled to herself, but he could clearly hear that she way praying he’d be alright. Even with the stress over her face, Suho recognized her. This was definitely the girl he’d been looking for.

“Miss?” He whispered.

“OMO!” She threw her arms around him, ignoring the fact that they were strangers. “You’re okay! You are okay, right?” She spoke frantically.

Suho kept himself from chuckling long enough to nod.

“Come on, we can wash up your cut in my apartment.” She helped him up steadily.

“Your apartment?”

“Yea, right here!” The girl motioned over to the building Suho landed in front of.

God really does have a way with planning things out.

**

Suho stared at her with a sort of fondness mixed with fascination.

She was very gentle with her movements, arms long at her side. And she had a habit of tucking her hair behind her ears even if they were already out of her face. Her skin was smooth, a pleasant shade with scars that just hinted of her past, but to him, the marks made her beautiful. Each dip and scratch, every imperfection made her perfect.

The girl dabbed away the dried blood on Suho’s arm, careful not to hurt in in anyway.

“So where did you come from anyway?” She asked as she applied antiseptic on his arm, her eyes momentarily peeping up to meet his. When the two glances connected, a fierce shade of strawberry pink flushed over her cheeks. Suho thought it was adorable.

He smiled to himself, still keeping his eyes on her. “It’s a secret.”

She grimaced to herself, still curious about her guest. “What’s your name then?”

“Suho.”

Nodding as she wrapped the gauze around his arm, she pat the wound. “Jja-jjan! All done.”

“And your name?” Suho leaned in closer to her.

She shied away, grinning. “It’s a secret.”