Final

Maybe Next Time

 

 

Muffled cries, sobs, whispers, and shushed voices can be heard throughout the small room. Everyone was openly expressing their feelings except for one man who had been staring into nothing since he and his friends arrived. If one is to describe him, he looked unaffected, stoic even, but inside he’s crumbling. He was falling apart.

 

“Jiyong.” His friend TOP patted his shoulder to get his attention. Jiyong looked at him and saw his friend’s worried look. TOP cringed a bit when his eyes met Jiyong’s hollow look. His eyes had never been so empty. So.. dead.

 

“I’m sorry Jiyong. I should’ve told you. I’m sorry.” Bom, TOP’s wife, held his hand. He stared at her. It was obvious she had been crying. He sighed and shook his head.

 

“My sister..didn’t want you to know..”  Her voice croaked and she looked at her sister’s picture that was placed on top of her own casket. “She knew. We knew, that her time was limited. We knew she wouldn’t stay long anymore when the two of you met in the wedding. I wanted to tell you. I swear. But she didn’t want you to worry about her. She didn't want you to look at her like she was so fragile. ”

 

“It’s okay.” Jiyong said with a weak voice before staring at the woman on the picture smiling brightly. He momentarily forgot everything. That he was here. Alive. And she was gone. He looked away when a throbbing pain crept up in his heart again.

 

Bom released her hold on him and took out a small envelope from her purse. She stared at it and felt the tears starting to form. She blinked it away before placing the envelope on Jiyong’s lap.

 

“Just read it Jiyong. Dara told me to give it to you.” Jiyong just nodded at this.

 

Bom stood up to leave but placed her hand on Jiyong’s shoulder before leaving.  “She wants you to be happy Ji. She loves you more than anyone. ”

 

“I know.” He whispered to no one.

 

It has been a few hours since Bom gave the letter to Jiyong but he still hasn’t had the strength to open it. Visitors started to leave the place and only a few people was left. Jiyong stood up and dragged a chair to sit next to the casket. Everyone inside the room looked at him but immediately went back to their own businesses. Jiyong’s friends looked at each other and then casted a worried glance to their friend.

 

Jiyong who didn’t care about anyone since the moment he stepped in the room decided to finally read the letter. He carefully ripped the envelope.

 

Jiyong,

 

Hey Ji…  How have you been? I bet you’re more than fine. Haha What did I ask that for.  You’re a popular artist now! I’m happy for you. You reached your dream… I always knew you would. Time flies fast huh. It’s been 5 years since we last saw each other. I was really shocked when I saw you at Bom’s wedding. I didn’t know you were friends with Tabi oppa. I was very happy to see you anyway.

 

                You know, looking at your face now is very different. It feels like I never knew you. It seems like meeting you was just a fateful dream of my old self. A naive 16 year old. A young innocent girl who fell in love easily. Having dreams of a sweet romance, ignoring the possibilities of encountering great pain. Forgetting the fact that everything that has a start would also have an end. Hence, giving you all the love I had till I felt worn out. Until reaching the point where even a bit of love for myself was already given to you. I know that you didn’t return it though. And I understand that. From the start, every time you tell me those three words, you may be looking at me but I can’t feel it. I tried to brush it off thinking It was just me, being complicated but.. It didn’t last long… I didn’t last long. I stopped satisfying myself on my own.. Do you remember the spring when we were 17? The dirty blackboard. The scattered chairs. The stillness. The orange sun seeping inside the classroom. I never forgot it. Do you still remember what I asked you? I asked you if you love me.. As usual, You gave me that smile. That smile that I used to think was the most beautiful. But I was wrong, It was never beautiful. It’s not even close to beautiful. Because yours is  the saddest smile I ever laid eyes on. You looked me in the eyes. Those eyes that I thought will only look at me. But again, I was wrong.  Cause the truth is,  I never once was seen. And as usual, you told me you love me. But I didn’t answer you with the usual smile. Instead, I smiled with a betrayal of a lone tear I tried my best not to fall. Then I left. Promising never to hear it again. Because your words were kind. But it was the most painful thing I’ve heard. It was honest. But that honesty wasn’t towards me.

 

It must’ve been easier if I had just blamed you for the pain. The tears. The sorrow that ate me. But I couldn’t bring myself to do that. Because I never once regretted meeting you. I never once wished that I never fell in love with you. Because despite all the pain, I was happy. And I told you right? Before I ran off that time. And up until now it was the most honest thing I have said;

 

Thank you.

 

I love you.

 

Dara

 

PS: I’m sorry. I couldn’t stay long enough. I hope in the next life we meet again. If we did, then on that time, I won’t let go easily. I won’t be a coward. I’ll take all the pain if it means I could be with you. Til next time.

 

 

Jiyong stood up and looked at her face inside the casket. She was beautiful. The most beautiful woman he has ever seen. But he can’t hold her anymore. He can’t make her smile. He can’t make her happy. He can’t bring her back. And he can’t even do anything about it.

All the tears that didn’t fall a few hours ago spilled non-stop. His whole body was trembling. Everyone can see how broken he was. His emotions were flowing all over the place.

 

His friends even had to look away from him. It hurts them to see him like this.

 

“I’m sorry Dara. I took you for granted. I can’t get over my first love and used you to forget her. But when you left, I realized just how much I lost. But I realized it a little too late. I looked for you but I couldn’t find you and I gave up. ” His voice broke.

 

“When I saw you again, I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what to say. I love you. Oh God, I love you so much. I wanted you to hear it from my mouth and see your smile after I say it but it’s too late now huh? I’m late again. And there’s nothing I can do now.” He laughed bitterly at himself.

 

“Next time, when we meet again, I promise I won’t be late. ” He whispered.

 

“Til next time.” He said and planted a soft lingering kiss on the glass separating him and her.

 

~************************************************************~

 

 

“Hey man where have you been?!” Yongbae wrapped his left arm on Jiyong’s neck and dragged him to their group.

 

“Yah! It hurts dammit.” Jiyong struggled out of Yongbae’s hold and glared at him when he was freed. He sat down and fixed his hair.

 

“Hyung! We’re going to the club tonight. You coming?” Seungri asked with a wide smile plastered on his face.

 

He just nodded and ordered a coffee when a waitress came to their table who seemed to be shamelessly flirting with him.

 

“She was batting her eyelashes a hundred times per second.” Daesung said amused. Jiyong just snorted. He was fiddling with his phone when the waitress came back and gave his coffee.

 

“Where’s TOP hyung?” Jiyong asked when he noticed the eldest missing.

 

“He said he’ll pick up Bom noona first. I heard her sister is coming back from Japan. Maybe they’ll show her around.” Seungri answered.

 

The door of the cafe opened and TOP and Bom entered. All of them looked up to call the two to their table. Jiyong’s phone vibrated and excused himself to go to the washroom before answering the call. He already walked away when a girl entered the cafe and stood infront of their table.

 

“Dara, this is my friends. Yongbae, Seungri, and Daesung.” TOP introduced them and all gave her a friendly smile. She smiled back at them.

 

She was about to ask if there was someone seating on the free seat when TOP called someone at her back and when she looked, her eyes locked with the most attractive brown eyes she has ever seen. Jiyong stared back at her. They felt like the whole room went silent and there was no one but them. Jiyong managed a charming smile and held out his hand.

 

“Hi.  I’m Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong.”

 

She smiled brightly at him and he thought, she has the most beautiful smile.

 

“Dara. Park Dara.” She reached out for his hand. It was the start of something.

 

 

 

Maybe this time, no one will leave, no one will be late, no one will have regrets.

 

Maybe this time, it’s their right time.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hey guys! 

 

Okay so this just came to me a while ago haha!

I was listening to this song when this suddenly popped on my head. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Zqq5YY4t4

 

Tell me what you think guys :)

 

Comments are highly appreciated :D

 

Follow me on twitter: HauruKazuki

 

Ohana