Ch. 4

You Can't Heal Me

 

Unknowingly, my body was tensing. I haven't seen Daniel in so long, and I'm not sure if I can handle this. Thinking quickly, I burrowed my head into my backpack, holding it close to me, acting as if I had fallen asleep. That was the only possible thing I could do at that moment. 

I suddenly forgot about everything, focusing only on straining to hear the conversation between Daniel and the bus driver. It was the same, short conversation that had gone on earlier with Jonghyun.

"Your name is Ahn Daniel, is that correct?"

"Yes, sir." 

A small silence, the driver would clearly be marking his attendance list.

"Alright, you may find a seat."

"Thank you." 

Light footsteps, barely audible against the music from the speakers. I snuck a glance up, my heart dropping after doing so. My eyes locked with his for a moment, and he stood there, staring back at me. 

He seemed surprised. That's the only thing I could see. But seeing him, our eyes locking together, countless emotions rushed through me, and I felt like I'd forgotten how to breathe. 

I could feel my eyebrows furrowing, watching as he finally looked away and took a seat on the bus. I felt a sense of relief, maybe he won't try to grab my attention. I wouldn't be able to handle that, talking to him, answering his questions, putting on a facade to hide my feelings. I can never forgot the effect he had on my life, no, I couldn't forget what happened between us in a million years. 

The bus started moving again, and I finally looked away, and began to stare out the window again. I was incredibly nervous now, with Daniel being here, my secrets are no longer safe. What if the other students find out I'm gay? If that happens, my life will become a living hell yet again, but worse. I won't have Byunghun to lean on. Without him, how would I be able to handle it?

I felt a sudden tap on my shoulder, breaking my thoughts temporarily. I met Jonghyun's eyes, who looked extremely bored. "What?" I asked nonchalantly, feeling slightly irritated by now.

"Are we almost there?" 

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at how impatient he sounded. "Yes, we will almost be there, just in a few minutes." 

"Alright," he replied, saying no more. It seemed as though he finally realized I wasn't in the mood to talk, and he stopped bothering me after that. That was only as the seemingly long ride continued, up until the bus pulled into school. The doors opened and we finally got off the bus. I started to walk quickly by myself, focusing on avoiding Niel. I managed to get safely inside the school, power walking down the aisle, until a certain someone tugged on my coat's sleeve, stopping me in my tracks. 

"Ricky!"  Jonghyun exclaimed, making my eyes go wide. I hoped Niel didn't hear him, though I didn't even know where he was right now.

"What?" I asked, not bothering to hide the irritation in my voice. 

"Can you show me where the office is?" 

I sighed, pointing the opposite of where I was going. "You go down that hallway and turn left. The office will be right there." 

I turned to start walking again, but he grabbed on my sleeve again. "Can you go with me?"

What is his problem? "No, I can't. I'm already late enough from the bus going in circles, I don't need to miss even more of my class." 

What I said might have been rude, but at this point I didn't really care anymore. He mouthed an "oh," and let go of my sleeve. Once again I began to walk, relieved that there wasn't another sleeve-tugging session interrupting me. I made my way into class, earning the attention of a few students, who then ignored me as I walked to my seat and sat down. The teacher was apparently running later than me, though that wasn't very surprising. At least I wouldn't have to explain that the bus is what kept me back.

I sat my backpack on the floor, after having gotten out my pencil, and a few other things. Usually I would draw at a time like this, but nothing was coming to mind, so I didn't bother. The teacher finally stormed on in, shutting the door behind him a bit too loudly. He gave a weak apology for being late, then told everyone to stop talking and to pay attention.

Everyone began to take notes as the teacher started on our lesson, teaching us a new formula and how to set it up. He stopped abruptly when a noise sounded, from the doorknob being turned. I tensed up, fearing for a split second that Niel might come walking in. But fortunately, it wasn't him, but Jonghyun. 

He awkwardly introduced himself as a new student, causing for the teacher to quickly scurry him to a seat so that he could get back to teaching. Well, that is what this class was like. The teacher rarely talking to us, casting out any interruptions in a heartbeat. Not that I cared.

As far as I could tell, Jonghyun hadn't noticed me. Not like it makes a difference, you can't really go too long without seeing someone if they're in the same class as you. It's also not as though I have a legit reason for not wanting him to see me. He'll probably get bored of me after a few days, once he's found himself a couple of friends. Then he'll stop bothering me, forgetting who I even was in the first place.

With that thought, I turned my attention back to the teacher and resumed taking down notes.

Lunch came unexpectedly quickly, the bell nearly escaping my attention as it rang throughout the school. Not like it mattered if I hadn't heard it, for I always skip lunch anyway. The line is terrible, as is the food. Skipping lunch gives me the opportunity to work on homework, and leisure away reading a book or drawing. The only worry I had was that Jonghyun might try to eat with me, seeing as he's that overly friendly type of person. But he had rushed out with the rest of the class, for earlier the teacher told him to go to the office in order to fix whatever went wrong with his enrollment. Didn't hear the whole conversation, didn't bother listening. Or maybe I did, I don't know anymore.

I glanced up at the clock out of habit, feeling indifferent as it indicated only two minutes had passed since the bell rang. The other students were all gone by now, leaving me to myself. I grabbed my pencil and began drawing a line on a blank piece of paper, knowing not where it would take me. As I lifted the pencil up, positioning it back up towards the top of the line, I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder. Surprising me slightly, I looked up, seeing a familiar figure standing before me. Someone I hadn't expected to see, not quite this soon. Someone who made a shiver go done my spine, and a frog get stuck in my throat.

I froze.

"I want to talk to you, Changhyun." 


Wamp wamp wamp... Erm, okay, maybe that's not the first thing I should say after having been gone for so long xD. Well, it's probably very obvious to all of my readers that I don't update very often. >_> Okay, fine, that's an underestimate. It's more like "YOU UPDATE ONCE A YEAR!!!" ...if that..

So, I apologize for the amount of time it can take me to get a new chapter up. But thank you for reading. ♥