Ch. 1

You Can't Heal Me

 

"Let me drive," Changhyun said, reaching for the keys. Byunghun pulled his arm back, not letting Changhyun have them.

"No." 

"Please. I have to be the one to do this. You won't go through with it, I know you won't. Let me do this." 

Byunghun sighed and handed him the keys. Changhyun smiled wearily and gave Byunghun one last hug. He tried to pull away, but Byunghun held on tightly. "I love you, Changhyun. But are you absolutely,
positively sure you want to do this?" 

Changhyun looked up to Byunghun with the saddest of eyes. "Until we rest in peace, we will never be happy. I cannot bare it to hear we weren't meant to be together, I cannot stand the pain that comes with all those hateful words. Do you remember, that day, we watched the sun set together? You kept kissing me, telling me how much you loved me. You said even death can't do us part, that even if we were to die, we would be together, forever. I believed you. I believe we will see each other in the afterlife." 


Ricky shifts uncomfortably in his sleep. The dream, no - the memory, skips forward. By hours or by days, who knows?

"Byunghun! Byunghun! "

"Changhyun..."


His body breaks out in sweats. This is a nightmare he doesn''t want to have. He hasn't had it in so long. 

"Please, Changhyun, it hurts..." 

He starts kicking and bashing, twirling around. 

It's so cold, where am I? Why is there blood everywhere? Where is Byunghun? Why does it hurt so much? Byunghun? Byunghun, where are you? 

"Ricky, Ricky, wake up! Dear, turn the lights on!"

Ricky wakes with a start. He squints from the light, and looks up to find his foster mother leaning over his bed, her hand resting on his forehead. His foster father is in the doorway, hand resting on the wall next to the light switch. Yunni, almost four years old now, is hugging her father's leg, tears in her eyes. Ricky glances at the clock on the wall and sighs. The little arrow points to the three. 

Yunni comes running and jumps onto Ricky's bed. "Ricky, Ricky, are you okay? You were screaming weird things in your sleep! Mommy and daddy were really worried!" 

Ricky smiles as the little girl puts her small hand on his forehead to see if it's hot. "I'm fine, Yunni. You should go back to sleep, it's too early for you to be up." 

Yunni her head and giggles. "Silly oppa, it's three in the afternoon, not three in the morning! Park, oppa, do you want to go to the park? Take me to the park!" 

Yunni's mother removes the child from his bed and holds her. "Let's let him get some rest, okay? He can take you to the park tomorrow." 

"No! I want to go to the park! Please! " 

Ricky lets out a yawn. "It's okay, I can take her to the park. Just give me a few minutes."

Little Yunni begins cheering, and Ricky catches his foster mother's mouthed "Thank you."  

The mother and daughter leave the room, but Ricky's foster father stays at the doorway. "I want to talk to you," he says seriously. 

Ricky sighs as the man comes and sits down on his bed. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I am fine," he replies.

The older man frowns. "You don't need to lie. Your mother and I love you as our own son. You can trust us. We trust you. "

Ricky smiles wearily. "If you do, then can you take my word for it when I say I am fine?" 

"Ricky-"

"Please? I don't want to talk about it," Ricky says, somewhat bitterly.

He suddenly gets up off his bed and goes to his closet to get some winter clothes out, leaving his foster dad a bit taken aback. The older male sighs before leaving the room so that his son can change. Once Ricky hears the door shut, the tears come, along with the memory of what happened two years ago today. All the pain rushes through him and he can't take it. He slides down onto the floor, burying his head in his knees, crying. 

The door suddenly opens and little Yunni comes inside, rushing over to him. "Ricky? Are you crying? Why are you crying?" 

He glanced up after rubbing his eyes, however the wet shine in his eyes was still obvious, even to a little kid. "I'm alright, it's just this cold weather. My allergies are acting up again." 

"You're sick, oppa? I'll get you tissues! Wait here!" Yunni commanded. She left Ricky's room and returned a few minutes later with a roll of toilet paper.

He smiles at her and pats her head. "These aren't tissues... this is toilet paper. But thanks anyway. Are you ready to go to the park?"

"Yes! I'm ready oppa!"

"Alright. Let me get changed, then we'll go."