Be mine

Ae Fond Kiss [On Hold]

 

From that day on we always rode the bus together to school. I was usually the first to arrive at the bus stop, Sooyoung and her friends Taeyeon, Jessica, Tiffany and Sunny – Sooyoung always talked so much about them that I felt like knowing them for years already. She didn't even have to introduce them to me nevertheless I could make out who was who. The shortest of them who often did aegyo, much to the annoyance of the other girls, was Lee Sunkyu. But as she didn't like her real name we called her Sunny, just like her nature. Almost the same height with Sunny was Taeyeon. Other than her kidlike appearance (both her height and face didn't seem to match with her age) she had many ahjumma like characteristics. The girl with the blonde dyed hair was called Jessica. Her real name was Jung Sooyeon, but since she grew up in the U.S. She also had an English name. Jessica and Tiffany, or Hwang Miyoung, knew each other for a really long time since they were both born in the same Californian hospital. 5 years ago they moved back to Korea and became best friends with the other girls. - would usually arrive about 5 minutes later. Then we all stood together in a circle, talking and laughing, until the bus arrived. When getting on the bus, her friends sat together, letting Sooyoung and me having our 'private talk'. During those talks I learned a lot about her.

Choi Sooyoung. Her name meant 'luxurious flower petal' and I absolutely agreed to it. She was the second daughter of a really successful constructor. Her sister Soojin was 19 and studied music and acting at the Seoul Arts Academy to become a famous musical actress. Meanwhile Sooyoung's dream was to become an actress someday and she already auditioned for many roles. She once even mentioned that she already appeared in an CF and I searched the web a whole afternoon to find it. When I finally had it in front of my eyes I watched the CF for about a hundred times in a row. And still I couldn't get enough of her. Every night before I went to to bed I watched the CF and looked at a photo we took together when we all went to an amusement park. On the pictures Sooyoung and I stood next to each other, Sooyoung with pink mickey mouse ears and a bright smile on her face and me with cat ears. I had put an arm around her shoulders while her arms were around my waist. We were both posing with a V-sign and laughed at the camera. Whenever I looked at that photography a smile would immediately appear on my face and I imagined how it would have been if her and my friends wouldn't have accompanied us, dreaming of Sooyoung and me being a couple and going on a date.

 

The days went by and the term almost ended. We went to school together, ate lunch together and met almost every weekend. Then one day in February she led me onto the school's rooftop during lunchtime. Sooyoung was all excited and her face was beaming. When I opened the door I saw a little table standing in the midst of the rooftop. On top of the table were two bento boxes as well as a cake.

A little surprised, I turned around to her when she suddenly threw confetti in the air and started singing 'Happy birthday'. When Sooyoung finished singing she hugged me tightly.

“Happy birthday, Kyuhyun-oppa.”, she whispered into my ear. I just stood there, frozen, unable to say a word. “Kyu-oppa...you don't like it?”

Her face showed a bit of disappointment. She slowly let go of me and bit her lower lip, an habit of her whenever she did something wrong or at least thought so. I immediately woke up from my stiffness and shook my head.

“Don't worry, Youngie.” I smiled and took her hands. ”I like it a lot. It's just...I'm still really surprised. Because nobody had done something like this for me before.” I pulled her closer to myself and put my arms around her shoulders. “Thank you, Youngie. You're the best friend I could ever have.”

“Just a best friend?”, Sooyoung asked or at least I thought so. But because her forehead was leaning against my chest and I was wearing a scarf, I could only hear her muffled voice and might have misheard or just imagined as well. When I freed her from the hug she looked all normal, smiling brightly, so I guessed it was probably just my imagination.

“Let's eat, Kyu-oppa. I'm really hungry and if we don't hurry up the break will be over before we could eat the cake.”

While eating the bentos, Sooyoung told me how she woke up early in the morning to prepare them as well as the cake. I was really touched and could only smile at her. When we finally finished eating, Sooyoung took out a little candle and put it on the cake. With a gentle smile on her face she lighted it up.

“It's time for your birthday wish, oppa. Do you already know what you want to wish for?”

My only wish was to be together with her forever but when blowing out the candle I wished for something else instead. Later on I really regretted it because that wish actually came true. So what if I had wished for us being together? It probably would have come true.

We finished eating the cake and then I helped her cleaning up and bringing down the table. Before we left to go to our classrooms, Sooyoung took me by my hand and smiled at me.

“Happy birthday, Kyuhyun-oppa.”

She tip-toed a little and planted a gentle kiss on my cheek. I turned to her in surprise, but she already turned around and ran down the stairs.

“That's part one of your birthday presents!”, she shouted. “Wait for me at the gate when school is over!”

And then she disappeared behind the corner, leaving a completely frozen me in the corridor. I could still feel her kiss on my cheek and when I touched the spot where here lips touched me it felt really warm. My heart was about to explode, it beat faster than ever before. I must have stood there for several minutes, unable to move. When I heard the bell, I slowly walked down the stairs.

 

My last lesson ended 10 minutes later than usually because we had to clean up the tables after an experiment and I rushed down the stairs. It has started raining a few minutes ago and I knew Sooyoung always forgot to bring her umbrella. I opened mine and ran out of the building. And there she was. Standing at the gate, her back towards me and more important, without an umbrella.

“Ya! Pabo! You'll get sick!”, I scolded her and held the umbrella above her head. “Why didn't you wait inside?”

Sooyoung slowly turned around and smiled brightly at me.

“But I said that we will meet at the gate. And besides...if I get sick you'll be there to take care of me, so no need to worry. Right, Kyu-oppa?” She wiggled her eyebrows and grinned cheekily at me. “Anyways...let's go!”

She clung onto my arm and pulled me a little.

“Where are we going to`”

“It's a surprise! Just follow me!”

We walked for about 10 minutes until we arrived at a high building with glassy front wall. Inside everything looked really chic and expensive.

“Sooyoung, why are we...”

“Just wait and you'll see!”, she interrupted me and pulled me into an elevator, pushing the button for the highest level. Somehow Sooyoung seemed to like high places. The elevator started moving up and I turned to her. When seeing her happy face I chuckled a little.

“Why are you laughing?”, she pouted.

“Well..though it's my birthday you seem to be the most excited about it.”

“Of course I am! After all it's my...best friend's birthday!”

When she said this she paused a little. Did she really see me as her best friend? Didn't she want to say something else first. I already wanted to ask her when the elevator stopped.

“We're here!”

The door slowly opened and again Sooyoung took me by my hand and lead me out. At the end of the corridor she opened a door.

“I'ts usually ladies first, but today it's your birthday..so...”

Sooyoung stepped back a little and let me go in first. When I entered the dark room the lights suddenly went on and confetti flew through the air.

“Happy birthday, Kyuhyunnie!”

All our friends were standing in the middle of the room, beaming, holding a big cake and some were still throwing confetti. I stared at them before I turned around to Sooyoung.

“Was this your idea? Is this part two?”

She nodded.

“Why? You don't like it?”

For a second everyone was quiet and Sooyoung began biting her lower lip. I started grinning and punched her arm lightly.

“Of course I like it. After all it's something planned by my best friend, the incredibly amazingly awesome Choi Sooyoung!”

“Oppa!”, she muttered and rubbed her arm playfully. “This hurts...and stop giving me weird names...”

“Arasseo.” I rolled my eyes and opened my arms widely. “Come here, best friend. Let me hug you so that you can forget the pain.”

“No thanks! I don't need it!”

“Fine, but then Seo-baby will get this hug filled with lots of love.”

Seo-baby, or Seo Joohyun, was Sooyoung's 1 year younger neighbor. She was a cute and charming kid, polite and way more mature than other kids around her age. We often invited her to accompany us wherever we went.

I wrapped my arms around her small shoulders and hugged her lightly.

“Happy birthday, Kyuhyun-oppa.” And then Seohyun, an other nickname of her, added with a whisper “You should let go of me now or Sooyoung-unnie will be angry...”

Seohyun even pushed me back a little and smiled. I couldn't even ask her why she thought so when suddenly someone clung onto my arm.

“Let's eat the cake, oppa. It already starts melting...”

Again candles were lighted up and I wished for the same thing as before. The party went on well and be all had lots of fun. Step by step more and more people left, leaving Sooyoung and me as the last two persons left. It was already past 11p.m and we hurried cleaning up so that I could walk her home before it was past midnight. Finally we finished cleaning and turned off the light, riding down the elevator.

Outside, I wanted to call a taxi, but Sooyoung kept insisting on walking back home so that I had to agree. We walked silently next to each other, side by side, both in their own thoughts when I suddenly noticed that from time to time she rubbed her hands against each other. When she was about to do it again, I grabbed her right hand and put both our hands into my pocket. She looked at me with a surprised expression but soon her lips turned into a smile.

“You have really warm hands, oppa.”

“Well...and you have really cold hands, Youngie.”

Again we both fell silent and I lost myself in my own thoughts.

“Oppa...we're here.”

Somehow Sooyoung's voice sounded sad, but when I looked at her she was smiling like always. I took her hand out of my pocket and smiled back.

“Well..see you tomorrow, Youngie.”

“Wait, oppa...There's...still a par left.”

“Huh?” I frowned a little.

“Your birthday presents. There's still one part missing.”

Sooyoung took a little package out of her pocket and handed it over to me.

“I hope you'll like it...I thought...because you said you had one when you were younger and you really liked playing it...so..”

I loosened the red ribbon and opened the little box. Inside was a silver and black mouth organ embedded in a red velvet cloth. Surprised and speechless I looked from the mouth organ, which looked exactly like my old one, to Sooyoung.

“Where...did you find it?”

“It doesn't really matter.” She gave me a bright smile. “So...do you like it?”

I nodded and pulled her into a hug.

“It's the best present I ever got!”

Sooyoung laughed a little and returned the hug.

“mmmh...Kyu-oppa?”

“Yeah?”

“My birthday is in a week...”

“i know. Any special birthday wishes?”

“Well...my parents will buy me lots of stuff and the girls will throw a birthday party. So...the only thing missing is a boyfriend.” She giggled. “Oppa...Introduce me a good man, please!”

Although I knew that she was just joking around, I felt a twinge in my heart. But then I just laughed it off and lightly pushed her out of the hug to see her face.

“Sure, just tell me who your ideal type is.”

“Mmmmh...My ideal type..” She tapped her chin with her index finger and tilted her head a little to the side. “I want someone who is older than me. At least two years. He should be tall with broad shoulders and a V-shaped back. Someone with an handsome face. He should look good in a school uniform but also in casual clothes and he should have style. I'd love it if he had a nice voice, deep and manly but still warm so that he could sing for me. It would also be nice if he could play an instrument. And for his personality...” She paused a little and smiled brightly. The further she went on with her list the angrier I got. How could she expect me to find a boyfriend for her? Was it fun to ignore my feelings? But I guessed she really only saw me as her best friend. I just stood there, smiling back while hiding my clenched fists in my pockets. “I want to have someone who is nice and warm, but still easy going and fun. Like a best friend. My boyfriend should be caring, taking my hand when it's cold outside, always having an umbrella when it's raining outside and letting me win when playing games. Do you think you can find someone like that, oppa?”

“I don't know. It's quite difficult to find a good looking guy who's nice too.”

“Really? Then I must be really lucky to have someone like that right in front of me. Don't you think so too, Kyu-oppa?”

Completely dumbfounded, I stood there and stared into her smiling face. Her cheeks were a little pinkish, but it could have also been because of the cold. Suddenly the lights behind her at the front door went on and she turned around a little.

“I think I should go in now...it's already past midnight. Take care on you way home, oppa.”

I took my hand out of my pocket and grabbed her wrist, holding her back from going in. Sooyoung turned back to me and raised a brow.

“What's up, oppa?”

“I like you Sooyoung. I liked you from the moment our eyes met for the first time! Please be my girlfriend!”

Sooyoung stared at me for a few seconds before her gaze slowly went down to her feet. There was silence between us for a long time. My hand that was holding onto her wrist started to become sweaty so O let go of her.

“uhm...Soo...”

“I thought you only saw me as you best friend...”

“Well...You are my best friend...but also the girl I like...”

“Really?” She looked up.”Why didn't you tell me earlier?”

“I thought you only like me as you best friend.”

“But I made it quite obvious that I like you...”

“Really? Sorry that I didn't notice it...”

“It's ok Kyu-oppa. At least you tole me now.”

“So..is this a yes or a no?”

Suddenly Sooyoung took the ends of my scarf and pulled me down a little. With a mischievous smile she pulled me even closer to herself until our lips finally met.

“Is this answer enough?”

“I don't know.” With a smirk I wrapped my arms around her waist and bent my head down a little. “I think I have to try it out one more time to be really sure.”

 

This is my second precious memory of her and me. The day I finally confessed to her and she agreed to be my girlfriend. One of the happiest moments of my life. But life can't always be happy...and soon I had to experience it for myself.

 

 

So...finally an update! Hurray!

I'm too tired to write anything else...so please just comment! :3