Snapshots form their Candid lives 02 A Secret No One Will Know

Brighter Than Sunshine

 

9:00 a.m.

Hae Rin woke up later than usual today, and had to eat by herself because Kyuhyun was called to work so early in the morning. According to his note, there was an emergency situation that needed to be attended to quickly. He did not mention what it was, but from what she could make out of Kyuhyun’s message, it must’ve been something really, really important, seeing that Kyuhyun’s writing was rushed and closer to scribbles than actual words. His handwriting reminded her of her brother, Taemin, who was a kindergartener, and his countless love letters to his teacher, whom he did not call seosaengnim, but noona. Taemin would always always ask her for help when it came to the love letters, because he wanted to see that the words were spelled correctly so that he would look smart in front of his teacher and then maybe she would fall in love with him.

“Hae Rin-noona, maybe Eunsook-noona will be amazed when she receives my letter this time! She would see how smart I am, and finally leave that mean boyfriend of hers, Minho.” Taemin once told her, eyes shining brightly. "She will realize that I am the better Prince Charming!"

Taemin was undeniably stuck in the world of fairy tales all thanks to Hae Rin. Staying at home all day long proved to be boring for her, but did wonders to her imagination. She was home schooled her whole life, and read books in her spare time. Her brother being her only friend, they were really close. She was the one who took care of her, her parents fully trusting her to spoil him with love and care. Love and care that they couldn't give, even if they wanted to, because they were too busy.

The cost of living in Seoul was pretty expensive, and both her parents had to work very hard just to make sure they have a place to live in. This resulted in them working until late at night and leaving home before the break of day. Even she, an early riser, seldom saw her parents. There would always be notes left for them, though, folded in the form of paper cranes. She would show them to Taemin everyday, always assuring him how much his parents love them both.

"See Minnie? Appa and Umma love you so much, they left you a note again. Look, they're very happy about your grades! They also wish you good luck on your dance solo today. Hae Rin-noona will be there, your Eunsook-seosaengnim will be there, and if they only could...Appa and Umma would come too."

Taemin, smiled sadly, fully used to the situation. "But they will be thinking about me, right? In their hearts they are wishing to see me, right?"

Hae Rin could only embrace her brother. "Yes, Minnie. In their hearts it is you. Always."

"Once upon a time..." These are the words that begin Taemin's night. Long before he is in bed, Hae Rin would begin telling him a new story. A new story filled with dragons and monsters and pirates and princesses, and the handsome princes who always comes at the right time to save her from peril. The words 'the end' are the last thing he hears before he falls asleep, dreaming of rainbows, picnics, Umma, Appa, Hae Rin-noona and a beautiful princess named Eunsook.

Hae Rin was happy and contented of that life back then, Taemin and her, and their absentee parents with their ever-present love.