The Angel

The Letter

Kai couldn't sleep after Sia left, staring at the blank walls.  Shadows cast by the dwindling fire danced, creating a beautiful picture.

His thoughts, no matter how much he tried to rein them in, kept drifting to Soo Jin. After all, he was in her house.

He remembered, vaguely, her texting him that she was attending college in Seoul. The accusation that he saw her in the street stung because it was true; he had seen her once, with Luhan and Suho, and had walked the other way, afraid of calling attention to himself.

Then he remembered the hurt in her eyes. How when she texted him, she didn't call him oppa anymore. That had been hard... but he didn't text her back.

What a jerk I am, He thought, biting his lip in the darkness. I didn't even know my best friend... and now she's dead.

 But maybe, just maybe, a thought seemed to say, you still have a chance to find her.

~*~

Kai was gone the next morning when Sia and Soo Jin's mother woke up. They exchanged a worried glance, then Sia touched the hand of the woman they all called Umma and said:

"He's going to be alright," She said, softly.

Umma had to be satisfied with that answer, because at the moment, that's all she had.

~*~

The day was gloomy and gray, the mist a depressing cloak and the mood black, almost as black as Kai's own as he approached the graveyard.

Ghosts tend to haunt the graveyard at midnight, or on a cloudy day, but it seemed that all the ghosts had deserted except for one.

Soo Jin's.

For a moment, he thought he saw her; tall and laughing, spinning around in her white dress. It's only a hallucination! He reminded himself. She slowly melted into the wind as he made his way to her tomstone.

It was simple, a lump of black coal with her name, the date of birth through death. Then he shuddered. An angel was engraved into the stone, it's wings protecting a little girl. The face of the angel.

That's what stunned him the most.

It was him.