Surprise.

Surprise

It was just another day for the workers at Happy Cakes. That is until the door rings open to their regular customer, Kim Jongin or also known as Kai.

Xiumin looked up from his notepad to see who was at the door and he chuckled. “Jiyoung! Kai’s here!”

Suddenly, sounds of dishes and cups falling were heard. Everyone’s eyes were directed towards the kitchen and Kai’s eyes widened. Quickly, he ran to the counter, trying to see what had happened. When he got there, he saw Jiyoung carefully picking up the broken pieces of the two dishes and the two cups.
 
He shook his head and chuckled. “Clumsy Jiyoung is clumsy.”
 
 
“Well, it’s because I’m surprised you’re here so early!” she hopped on her feet with a dust pan while of broken glass in her right hand and she waved with her left. “So, um, good morning oppa!”
 
Kai smiled. “Good morning to you too.”
 
As she dumped the broken glass pieces into the trash, she asked, “Do you know what next Wednesday is?”
 
“Yes. Next Wednesday is just another August 8.” he lied. Of course he knew it wasn’t another August 8 though. He knew it was her birthday, but he just wanted to keep it a secret from her that he didn’t know. It was for a special reason.
 
She frowned. “Are you sure it’s just another August 8? I talked to you about that date before a couple weeks ago!”
 
He shrugged, and continued his acting. “Sorry. I forgot.”
 
Jiyoung sighed and nodded her head. “It’s alright, I guess. I’ll get you your usual?”
 
“Sure. Oh and I would like a small slice of vanilla cake with my cafe macchiato.” Kai pointed out and she nodded her head as she took his order down on her notepad.
 
Jiyoung’s eyes twinkled. “Vanilla cake? That’s my favorite flavor of cake!“ she smiled as she continued scribbling the price of the order on her notepad. “Coming right up.” and she walked towards the other side of the counter, where she started brewing his drink and went back into the kitchen to bake the cake.
 
Baekhyun walked over to Kai who was busily texting on his phone. “Wow, you ruined her mood big time Mr. Sorry-I-Forgot.”
 
Kai chuckled and shooked his head. He leaned over the counter and whispered, “I know. It’s her birthday next week. I’m planning to have a surprise birthday party for her. Can you and the other workers help?”
 
Baekhyun’s eyes lit up and nodded his head rapidly. Kai smiled in satisfaction and clapped his hands in delight.
 
“That’s great then! I already have everything planned out.” Kai beamed.
 
“When Jiyoung leaves for her ten minute break, tell us every single detail of your plan.” Baekhyun smiled and continued on wiping the counter, leaving Kai dumbfounded.
 
“Wait, ten minutes?” Kai exclaimed and Baekhyun looked at him and nodded his head.
 
“What about ten minutes?” Jiyoung asked as she slid his cafe macchiato towards him. She jerked her finger behind her, towards the kitchen. “By the way, the cake is baking right now.”
 
Kai and Baekhyun looked at each other with panicked looks, but quickly a calm expression replaced the panicking face.
 
“Nothing! Nothing at all! I was just telling Kai that...” Baekhyun looked at Kai for help but he just kept on looking at him with widened eyes, his face telling Baekhyun to continue talking. Baekhyun shook his head, refusing and Jiyoung looked at both of them confused.
 
“He was just telling me that he was going to extend your ten minute break to twenty minutes! You know, so I don’t have to wait for you to come back. I have to go shopping for... stuff afterwards.” Kai finished off. There, now she won’t be too suspicious.
 
“Wait what?!” Baekhyun slammed his hand on the counter, earning weird glances from customers towards his way. His face softened and nodded his head, sighing. “Yeah, that’s what I said.”
 
Kai smirked and Jiyoung clapped.
 
“Really? Thank you so much, Baekhyun!” she hugged her boss’ son, and now, instead of feeling excitement, Kai felt jealousy. Before Baekhyun could hug her back, Kai clapped his hands together causing Jiyoung to release her arms off of Baekhyun.
 
“Is the cake done yet?” Kai asked in a cold tone.
 
She looked at the clock behind him on the wall and back at the oven. She held up three fingers, slowly putting them down one by one. When all she had remaining was a fist, the oven bell ringed notifying her that the cake was already finished.
 
“It’ll be out soon, let me frost it first.” and she hopped back into the kitchen.
 
After a few minutes and when Baekhyun came back behind the counter, Kai leaned over the counter again and began whispering, “Ok, here’s what we’re going to do...”
 
“I’m back!” Jiyoung smiled. She paused and stepped back, blinking. “Kai, why are you so close to Baekhyun?”
 
“Uh...” Kai looked Baekhyun and back at Jiyoung. “I was telling him that he missed a spot! Your boss’ son is stupid.” He chuckled, but earned a slap on the arm from Baekhyun.
 
Jiyoung laughed and nodded her head, placing the plate with his cake on the counter. “Enjoy!” and after handing him the cake, she took out her notepad from her pockets and placed them on the table.
 
“Where do you think you’re going?” Baekhyun eyed her.
 
“To my twenty minute break.” she shrugged and began walking towards the door. “I need it now, sorry!” and with that, she left.
After eating a few bites of his cake, Kai smiled. “Alright, so here’s what we’re going to do...”
 
- - -
 
Jiyoung sighed as she placed her elbows on the table and cupped her face. Xiumin and Chanyeol, who weren’t busy and were just sitting at the table across from her, slid their chairs towards her table. She looked up to see who it was but then went back to her original state.
 
“What’s wrong?” Chanyeol asked.
 
“Is he still ignoring you?” Xiumin guessed, nodding his head slowly. Slyly, he and Chanyeol gave each other a high-five under the table, where she couldn’t see.
 
“Yeah! What’s up with him? Like, he just started ignoring me five days ago! And tomorrow’s going to be my birthday!” she shook her head, disapprovingly while the two guys sitting across from her were trying their best not to burst into a fit of giggles. Kai’s plan is really working out.
 
“Oh, but hey! At least he’s not ignoring you fully! He talked to you here and there.” Chanyeol smiled and Xiumin nodded his head.
 
“Hm, I guess...” she stood up, her bag in her arm. “Well, I’ll be going home now. See you tomorrow.” She waved, but before she could start walking to the door, Baekhyun held onto her wrist.
 
“Wait, don’t come here tomorrow. I’m giving you a day off. Happy early birthday.” he said. “Oh! But you can only spend your day off all the way up to three o’clock. You start work then.”
 
“But don’t dress in your usual work clothes! Just come in wearing your street clothes.” Xiumin pointed out.
 
“Make sure your street clothes are pretty too.” Chanyeol joked.
 
Jiyoung eyed them with a weird look. “Oh, alright then. Bye.” and she waved and walked out of Happy Cakes.
 
“Chanyeol, go tell Kai that everything’s going smoothly right now.” Baekhyun ordered. “Xiumin, go prepare her cake.”
 
“What flavor?” Xiumin asked. The three of them all exchanged worried glances. They’ve worked with the girl for two summers already and they still don’t know her favorite flavor cake.
 
Chanyeol held up his finger as he dialed Kai’s number on his other hand. “Hold on... Hello? Kai? Yeah, everything’s go fine... Oh! By the way, what’s Jiyoung’s favorite flavor cake?” His eyes widened all of the sudden. “Ok, thanks. Bye.”
 
“Well...?” Xiumin looked at him, expecting an answer.
 
“How does he know that she likes vanilla cake?” Chanyeol shook his head.
 
“Well, the kid likes her so what do you expect?” Baekhyun chuckled and started clapping his hands. “Xiumin, go off and bake the vanilla cake now! Chanyeol, go call the rest of the workers that everything’s going just right. I’ll move the tables and set up the bigger ones.” and with that, the three of them got to work, pre-preparing for the party.
 
The next morning, every one of the Happy Cakes workers gathered inside the cafe.
 
“Is everyone here?” Kai asked, and everyone in the building nodded their heads.
“Well, everyone except Jiyoung.” Chen said.
 
“Ok, get out the cake and put all the gifts in that corner and set up the chai---” was all Kai said before he got interrupted by Baekhyun’s text message ringtone.
 
“What does it say?” Xiumin tried to peek over Baekhyun’s shoulder to see the text.
 
“Jiyoung said she’s coming over at one... just because she has nothing else planned.” Baekhyun gulped.
 
Everyone in Happy Cakes all shared panicked glances.
 
“No problem.” Kai shrugged it off coolly. “We just have to get everything ready faster. At least the cake’s finished baking.”
 
“Dude, that cake in the back is delicious. Thanks for baking it for our snack, Xiumin.” Lay walked out from the kitchen with Tao who had a plate of half-eaten slice of cake in his hands.
 
A horrified look overtook Xiumin and Kai’s face. “You ate the cake?” They exclaimed in unison.
 
Lay chuckled and held up his hands in a jokingly surrender position. “Don’t worry! We saved more slices of cake for you guys. Tao and I only just ate one slice.”
 
“Yeah, you both look like you’re ready to flip tables or something.” Tao pointed out as he continued eating the cake.
 
“That cake was baked for Jiyoung you idiots!” Xiumin blurted and started throwing his hands in the air. “Great, two hours of baking and waiting and frosting for Jiyoung’s birthday cake has now gone to waste!”
 
Slowly, Tao reached out his plate towards Xiumin. “On the bright side, the cake was delicious.”
 
“What time is it now?” Chanyeol asked.
 
“Ten.” Kai mumbled.
 
“Then Xiumin has enough time to bake the cake! He said it took him two hours anyways.” Chanyeol smiled brightly, proud of his idea.
 
Xiumin groaned. “I don’t feel like baking the cake again.”
 
“Do it.” Baekhyun demanded. “She’s your friend.”
 
“Fine! Fine!” Xiumin threw his hands up into the air and mumbled as he walked back into the kitchen, “You guys could bake it too, lazy kids.”
 
“Alright, someone help me move this table to the middle.” Baekhyun said.
 
“I’ll help!” Tao offered.
 
“You’re eating.” Baekhyun shook his head.
 
Tao looked down at the cake below him and smiled sheepishly. “Oops.”
 
“Come on, hurry. I don’t want Jiyoung to think that I started ignoring her for this past week without a reason!” Kai whined.
 
“Oh no, she already thought of a reason. She told me!” Chanyeol said. “She thinks she annoyed you.” The happy virus nodded his head and continued taping the ceiling decorations.
 
“Yeah, that part of the plan kind of for you.” Lay chuckled.
 
Kai sighed as he continued pushing the large table with Baekhyun towards the middle of the room. “When she walks in and see this surprise party that I set up for her, she’ll understand.”
 
- - -
 
“Ten more minutes before she arrives.” Kai said, holding a rose behind his back to present to her when she walks in.
 
“Ten more minutes for you to wipe off that panicked look off your face.” Xiumin joked.
 
“Ten more minutes before you confess.” Lay clapped cheerfully.
 
Suddenly, Baekhyun ran into Happy Cakes and turned off the lights of the building. “Hide! Right now. Luhan’s with Jiyoung right now! I just saw them walking towards here on that sidewalk!”
 
“Already?” Chanyeol whined as he looked for a place to hide in the darkness.
 
“I thought you said that she would arrive at one!” Kai cried.
 
“Ow! Stupid chair!” Xiumin exclaimed.
 
“I see Luhan! They’re crossing the sidewalk! Everybody, be quiet!” Tao demanded.
 
Sehun chuckled. “It’s been months since I saw you, Tao, and you’re still the bossy Tao that I knew.”
 
“Stay silent until they come, Sehun!” Kai whispered.
 
As they got closer, they could hear the two talking.
 
“I still don’t get why you told me to pick you up this early. You said you would come by at one.” Luhan said.
 
Jiyoung eyed the building carefully. “I don’t get why the lights are off in Happy Cakes. Don’t tell me that they’re pulling a prank on me and they all went home.”
 
Luhan coughed. “No. Hurry Jiyoung!”
 
When the two got closer to the building, the eleven boys in the building were staying in their uncomfortable hiding place.
 
“If we’re doing this again for her next year, I’m choosing a better hiding place.” Kai whispered.
 
“We all will.” Xiumin whispered from his crouch behind the large trash can.
 
Ring ring. Luhan opened the door for Jiyoung to walk in.
 
“Where’s everybod---”
 
“Happy birthday!” cheered the boys who jumped up from their hiding place with their hands in the air. Jiyoung gasped and put her hands to her cheeks in surprise with a huge grin on her face.
 
“Wait!” Kris held up a finger out from the table he was under. Everyone eyed him with amused expressions on their faces. He rolled out from under the table and stayed up the floor. “Happy birthday, Jiyoung!” He laughed sheepishly and hopped up onto his feet.
 
Jiyoung giggled. “Oh my god...” she said, looking at all of the boys. “Thank you for this, you guys. You’re all the best.”
 
Kai smiled proudly from where he was standing. “We’re glad you like it. I planned it.” He rubbed the back of his neck, with a smile on his face and Jiyoung quickly ran over to him to give him a hug.
 
“Thank you, oppa.”
 
Kai blushed a light shade of pink and hugged back, placing the rose he had hidden behind his back on the table in front of him.
 
“Wait wait wait! Let’s have cake first!” Lay said, holding up his hand, and ran to grab Xiumin’s wrist dragging him to the kitchen to get the cake.
 
Jiyoung released Kai out of the hug and clapped. “I heard cake.” She laughed.
 
They rolled the vanilla cake that they baked out from the kitchen and into the big room. Candles were placed and lit on the cake. Kai picked up the rose from the table and backhugged Jiyoung while walking her towards the cake. The twelve of them began singing her the birthday song, and when they were finished, she closed her eyes making a wish and when she opened them again, she blew out the candles. Everyone in the room clapped with huge smiles on their faces.
 
Kai nodded his head from behind her, and the rest of the boys nodded their heads too. He released Jiyoung of the backhug and took a few steps back.
 
“Jiyoung-ah, turn around.” Luhan smiled cheekily when suddenly, Chanyeol and Baekhyun began squealing and fanboying causing Jiyoung to laugh before turning around.
 
When she turned around, she was greeted by a kiss on the lips from Kai and that was when the eleven boys began fanboying together.
 
Kai pulled back and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. He held up the rose for her. “Jiyoung Park, I like you. I liked you ever since I met you in Happy Cakes. It was the only reason why I come here every day of the summer. Well, that and because of the delicious food that you guys make.” He paused to chuckle while the boys in the back put their hands to their mouths to stay quiet for this moment. Jiyoung’s eyes twinkled and she had a huge grin on her face. “What I’m trying to say here is... Jiyoung Park, will you be my girlfriend?”
 
Jiyoung accepted the rose and nodded her head, when Kai picked her up and twirled her around.
 
“This is officially my best birthday ever.” she smiled. "Thank you."
 
- - -
 Text Messaji - From: Rin Rin!
 
LOLOL, so like yeah. um, i hoped you like it!
; u ; it wasn't the best OTL. mainly because i
never wrote a fic with the exo members before.
& yeah. LOL. i didn't know how to end this too.
LOL, so ya. happy birthday again! c: bye! ; u ;