Chapter 4

What's Ours Is Ours

 

“Alright. Let’s take a 5 minute break. I know everyone’s tired since we’ve been going at it for a while now. Snacks and drinks are down the hallway Ella and June.” The choreographer directed.

                “Haw sunbaenim. I have a question about the choreography.” Ella said walking up to Prepix’s Haw. Ella was new to the intense scheduling and the stress was already getting to her. June, on the other hand, was use to the stress on the schedule. She was a fast learner and she understood the choreography faster than most. Almost all of the dancers. Almost.

                “Eh Jay! You want something to drink?” Daniel asked as he was walking out the door.

                “Nah. It’s all good man. Go for it.”

                June tried to avoid him by sitting in the corner. She made herself look busy. She took out her phone and looked through her call log. The last time she had called home was about a day ago. She tapped on Jason’s icon. It was about time Jason was off from work and taking over his duty as nanny. She became more urgent when the call went straight to voicemail.

                “This .” She mumbled under her breath. She quickly covered and looked around. No one seemed to have noticed, so she went back to her little world.

 

[Jay’s P.O.V.]

                “Eh Jay! You want something to drink?”

                “Nah. It’s all good man. Go for it.”

                Okay, maybe I should’ve gone with them. I didn’t want to be in the same room as her. She has this gravity around her that just attracts everyone in. What the hell? Dude! Why are you thinking about her again? She left you… Remember?

                “This .”

                That was it though. It’s the little things she said that you wouldn’t expect out of a girls mouth. Especially, someone that looks as innocent as her. I couldn’t help it. My eyes slowly drew away from the water bottle that I was holding and staring at for the last few minutes, to the girl of my dreams sitting alone in the corner on her phone. Her long dark hair pulled up into a high pony tail cleared the mess out of her face. I remember that beautiful mess perfectly. The way she would always use her fingers to comb and pull her hair back; out of her eyes. The way she looked when she sweated and her baby hair stuck to sun-kissed skin. The way her lips slightly parted when she was concentrating too hard, or when her eyes narrowed out of disapproval; just like right now.

                “Hey baby. How are you?”

                HOK! The water I was trying to drink slowly crawled back up my throat and was now choking me. Baby? What the hell? She moved on… That quick? No! Wait. Maybe I was just hearing it wrong. Plus she sounded like she was talking to a baby, literally. As I reached for my towel, out of the corner of my eye, I saw her look questionably at me; still holding her phone up to her ear.

                “Okay, honey. Let me talk to him.”

                ‘So it’s not her new boyfriend?’

                “It’s good. It’s really good. How are things over there?”

                ‘So it is her new boyfriend.’ This thought suddenly sparkled a flame inside of me.

                “Really? That’s so cool! Congrats! I’m really happy for you.”

                ‘Really happy? Happy? For who? Are you ever going to tell me?’

                “Yeah I miss that too. Hopefully, we’ll finish things here soon.”

                ‘You want to finish things here soon, so you can go run back into his arms. Don’t you?’

                “Yeah. We’re taking a break right now. How’s my baby doing?”

                ‘Baby? She has a kid?’ I clenched my towel. I shouldn’t be listening and I know it. It was an invasion of privacy, but I couldn’t help it.

                “That’s good to hear. Oh! Was that Aaron? Guys night out at my place? Really?... Right. Just watching the game? Please don’t corrupt my baby more than you already have please… alright. I’ll talk to you later. Bye. Tell her I love her.”

                The tap of the button on her phone snapped me back into reality. The only thing that I have been wishing for, for the last few days, was that we would somehow, someway, find a way to communicate again. I don’t care if it’s just friends, or more than just friends. I just wanted to know how she was, and if she remembered me the way I remembered her. But obviously she didn’t. For the last few days, they haven’t exchanged any kind of words to each other. It was always him talking to his groupie, or she was talking to Ella. Never them alone, in a conversation. EVER.

                “Who was that? Your boyfriend?” Yun asked.

                “Who?”

                “The one you were talking to. Ja… Jae… Jason?” Yun struggled to read the name on the contact list.

                “Oh! Yeah. That’s Jason. He’s with my daughter, back home.” June smiled at the mention of Jason and her daughter. The way I wished she would when she thought about me.

                Wait… JASON? What the !? That Jason that left her at the most crucial time in a dancer’s life? That Jason that left her for some dumb y ? That Jason that I swore was never going to hurt her again? That Jason… That Jason? That Jason was her child’s father? This wasn’t pity anymore. This was anger. I spent so much time trying to cover up those wounds, trying to make those tears stop, helping her erase all the pain he caused her, helping her create a world that didn’t revolve around just anyone, but herself. I gave up myself to her completely and this was how she was going to repay me; by going back to that little that destroyed her in the first place. I had enough! All my time was wasted. All my efforts in putting together this comeback… was wasted. It’s over. It’s done. We… were done. And that was my reality.

 

[June’s P.O.V.]

                “Oh! Yeah. That’s Jason. He’s with my daughter, back home.” I smiled thinking about if only Jason was here to say something so dumb. He probably would’ve thought I meant that I was with him again after hearing what I just said. I looked up at Yun. But she was preoccupied with something else. I turn towards the direction she was looking at.

                “Eh! Jay?! Where the hell you going dude?” He didn’t answer. He just quickly, and violently packed his belongings into his backpack and grabbed his towel. As he made his way to the door, he glanced one last time at me. His expression somewhat angered, but more hurt than anything else. The vibration in my hand made me look down.

                “Jason!” Yun read out loud smiling, totally oblivious to what was happening. I looked back at Jay. If I wasn’t so annoyed by Jason’s sudden disturbance, I would’ve thought that he looked angrier right now. His small eyes moved from his neutral almond shape to taunting crescent moons. He threw his towel down with a loud ‘fop’ and pushed through the people that were making their way back into the studio.

                “June?” Ella asked walking towards me. “What was that all about? What happened?” The next few minutes went a little like the game where you tell a few lies, and a truth about yourself, and people had to guess what it was. Ella had the honors of making that call.

                “I… I don’t know…” Lie.

                “Did you give him your shady attitude?”

                “I… My what? No!” Lie.

                “June. Were you on the phone with Jason? Maybe he has a thing for you and got jealous…” Ella gasped. But before she could go on imagining for non-sense, I smacked her head playfully.

                “If you hadn’t noticed, he ran out of here as fast as he could when I was in here. He obviously hates me to his core.” Truth… I think…