Chapter 1

Time After Time

Nicole's POV


"I hate my life", I sighed.

My alarm just went off and you know what it means right? It means it's time to get my up and get ready for school. Why do I even have to go to shool? My parents are filthy rich. I can just live off of them for the rest of my life. And I bet there is gonna be more left from where it came from.

"Miss", my door creaked open.

I woke up to a pair of frightened eyes. Do I really look that scary? Gosh.

"What do you want?" I glared at her.

"Your parents wanted you to have this", she held a small box in front of me. What could it be? I slowly peaked inside. When the thing was fully visible, it then hit me.

It was a key. Not just any key but a car key. Oh yeah! I ran off to give my parents a power hug but when I got to their room, it was empty. 

"They left this morning to Tokyo for an urgent business meeting", I didn't even realize that she followed me. She trailed off without meeting my gaze.

Why am I not surprised? Figures. Did I mention that today was my birthday? Oh well, it has always been like this. They miss my recitals, they compensate by buying whatever I want and I forgive them. The process repeats itself on my birthday and Christmas. That's my life.


Jiyoung's POV


Gyuri unni and I were waiting for the school bus when suddenly a slick car stopped in front of us. The driver rolled down the windows and there we saw Nicole unni on the driver's seat.

"Nicole?" "Unni?", we let out in unison. 

"Hop in", she commanded. 

We got in the car still puzzled.

"I didn't know you already have your license. I thought you failed the test.", Gyuri unni raised an eyebrow.

"I did", I saw Nicole unni smirk. Oh gosh, this is bad. I'm no genius but I know the obvious. Driving without a license is a serious offense. 

"What do you think you're doing? You'll get all of us in trouble Nicole!" Gyuri unni is so responsible, that's why I stick to her like glue. I want to be just like her. I kept my silence at the back seat praying to God to spare my life, and unni's too. I watched her practice driving and may I say that I'm glad that they are rich enough to afford themselves a driver.

"Don't worry, butler Kim is behind us in case something happen. Just chill." I frowned at her. Something bad must have happened between her and her parents again. She always rebel whenever she's sad. Weird huh? Come to think of it, none of us have seen her shed a tear. 

Earlier....

"Jiyoung, pretend you don't remember Nicole's birthday", Gyuri unni instructed.

"Okay...but why?" I gave her a puzzled look.

"Don't tell me you already forgot about the surprise?".

Oh right. We planned on giving Nicole a surprise party.

"Of course not", I pretended to remember. What would unni think of me if she finds out my memory is failing at a young age? No way am I gonna ruin my image in front of her.


@ SCHOOL

Key's POV



I can't believe I gave up an hour of beauty rest just for Nicole. She better appreciate this if she wants to live. 

As I was decorating the auditorium I saw Hara walk in with her camera, followed by Onew, Taemin, Minho and Seungyeon who is practically dragging Jonghyun with all her might. Damn, I didn't know she was that strong.

"Great! We only need Gyuri and Jiyoung, where are they anyway? Anyone know?" no one replied. They did not just ignore me. 

Taemin walked towards me after a couple of minutes.

"Jiyoung just texted me and said Nicole fetched them at the bus stop".

"Since when did little miss piano prodigy learn how to drive? She looked hopeless in my opinion", they all nodded in agreement. Of course I was right. I'm always right. 

"They're here!", Taemin exclaimed. We hid behind the chairs and turned off all the light. I heard the echoes of their footsteps. They must be close. The echoes grew louder until we heard the door knob twist open. 

"1....2....3....." as soon as I said three all of us jumped out and yelled 'Happy Birthday our dear Nicole'.

There Nicole stood by the door, stunned. Her face was priceless. I hope Hara got a shot of her face.

"What the! I thought you all forgot!" she approached us with the biggest grin on her face which made me smile also. 


Seungyeon's POV


"How can we forget? We've been celebrating each other's birthdays for a decade now", a decade. Imagine that. I gave her a warm smile and a tight hug.

I handed her my present.

"Thank you Seungyeon".

Jonghyun on the other hand gave me a stern look.

"Yah! Seungyeon, it's OUR present. Remember?", how dare this boy say that.

"You! Come here. Just because you happened to be there when I bought it doesn't make it OURS". This stupid boy.

Jonghyun, my ever irresponsible bestfriend. We are the total opposite of each other but somehow we click. We balance each other out. Kinda like Yin and Yang. I'm the good and he's the bad, obviously. hahaha.

I saw him wink at Nicole indicating to ignore me. Gosh. I don't know why I put up with him.

"Whatever", I'm so pissed. I walked away before I decide to punch that pretty face of his.

I felt someone grab my arm. 

"I'm sorry hammie. I was just kidding", it was Jonghyun.

"I hate you."

"You know you love me!", unfortunately he's right. I do love him, but not in a romantic way. Just the thought of us getting together makes me puke. He's like a brother to me and besides I like someone else. 

I smiled and lightly punched him on the stomach.

"Don't do that again. Ever."

"Neh.", he nodded obediently. So cute.

"Good boy", I said as I pat his head. 


Onew's POV


When are you going to see me?

Me, who has always been by your side.

I witnessed how both of them fought and made-up. I'm jealous of Jonghyun. He has something that I don't have and it pains me. I don't have any grudge against him, after all we are friends. I'm just upset at how close they've become through the years. If I didn't know any better, I would think that they are dating. Unfortunately half of the student body already think they are. And it's always me who have to tell them off.

Jonghyun has his own fanclub. I know right? He's the 'rock star' of the school. Girls drool over him, even my little sister who is too young to think such things caught up.

I sighed.

Way to crush someone's self esteem. To add to this oh so perfect life of mine, I'm the school's nerd. Although I don't posses any stereotypical characteristics of a nerd, I am smart. I am well aware of it and I always take that to my advantage. 

In short, I'm the smart-okay-looking kid with cool friends. 

I focused my attention back to Nicole who was opening her presents. 


Hara's POV


"Say cheeeeeseee!", I took another photo of the birthday girl.

"So, what did you get from your parents?" I'm curious as to what her parents had given her this time. Her parents always gave her top notch presents. 

"A Chanel purse?", Key guessed making his way in on our conversation.

"Even better!", she lauged. "They gave me a car! You know the one we saw from the catalogue. Can you believe it?".

Really Nicole? How can I not? On her last birthday, her parents gave her a condo. Just in case she wants to live closer to school. Despite knowing Nicole for years, her parents never fail to amaze me with their luxurious lifestyle. 

She's a fortunate one. I had to work my off just to buy my babies. By babies I mean my cameras. My family are certainly not poor, we are pretty well off ourselves but nothing close to Nicole's family. Let's just say I don't have the most supportive parents in the world.

"Lucky you"

"So guys", Minho interrupted us. "What are your plans for tonight?".

I kept quiet. Why you ask? Because aside from these 9 people in the room I don't have other friends. I hate socializing. Too many insincere people in this lifetime.

I've had guys ask me out but I rejected them all. I don't need a boyfriend as long as I'm with my friends.

"Hara?", I looked up. Everyone was staring at me, waiting for an answer.

"Oh. Me? I'm free tonight." I'm such a loser. 

"Cool, so how about we party at my place!" Minho and parties just doesn't add up. Last time he hosted a party, their neighbors called the police. He got me grounded for a week. 

"I don't think that's a good idea", someone please back me up.

"Neither do I." Yes! Who said that? I knew I can rely on Gyuri.

"Unless......" she trailed off. No no no no! 

"It's only gonna be the ten of us."

I guess that's alright.

Minho sighed in defeat. He must be disappointed that he can't invite any of his girlfriends. Well no one win against Gyuri, not even the almighty Key. 

I smirked.

"Fine", he obliged.