Sa-gwa (사과)

Sa-gwa (사과)

 

Cho Hana’s POV

 

There I was, flying high in the starry night sky in my blue nightgown with Peter Pan leading me all the way to Neverland. This is it. Goodbye world, I’m off to the place where adventures await, where pirates sail the sea, where mermaids sing their lullabies, and where I never have to grow up. Annyeong!

 

“Hey, Peter,” I called to him, “Are we there yet?”

 

“We’re almost there.”

 

“How long do we still have to travel?”

 

“We can reach faster if you take my hand.”

 

The moment he turned to face me, my eyes widened.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“M-M-Minho-oppa?!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He reached out his hand for mine and smiled.

 

“Come on, Hana… let’s get to Neverland, you and me.”

 

I extended my hand towards him, only a few inches closer…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

 

“YAH, CHO HANA! WHAT ARE YOU DOING STILL IN BED?!”

 

I woke up to the angry voice of my stepbrother who was throwing pillows at me. Kill joy.

 

“Yah, Kyuhyun-oppa! Can’t a growing teenager have her peace and quiet even just for a few more minutes?! I was having a great dream and you ruined it!”

 

“Babo! Keep dreaming and I’m pretty sure the gates will be closed the moment you get to school.”

 

“Huh?” I looked at the wall clock. It’s 7:20.

 

“FUDGE!” I went out of bed and ran to the bathroom. “WHY DIDN’T YOU WAKE ME UP EARLIER?!”

 

Rather than answer, all I could hear was the evil laugh of my evil stepbrother. Fish you.

 

“Oh, by the way,” I heard him speak at the other side of the bathroom door, “you better hurry up or your friend might have to go to school alone.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“Minho’s downstairs having breakfast with Appa.”

 

I froze. Minho’s here? Did he hear all of it? Oh, great. I am surely gonna be dead by the end of this day.

 

-------------------

 

Thanks to my ultra-supersonic speed, Minho and I got to school barely a minute before they closed the gates. It was a relief. If we were late, I’d have to carry the blame.

 

“Hana,” Minho said my name.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Today’s Valentine’s Day.”

 

I looked around. The hallway has been decorated with pink hearts and red roses posted to the walls. Girls huddled up in groups, talking about who they’ll be confessing to and the chocolates they’ll give. Which reminds me; I forgot my homemade chocolates at home.

 

“Hana?” Minho called once again.

 

“Oh!” I snapped away from my thoughts. “Mianhe, I was just thinking. What did you say?”

 

“Is there anyone you’re going to confess to?”

 

I smiled shyly. “Yes, there is someone.”

 

“Really?! Who?”

 

‘You,’ said a voice in my head.

 

“A special someone,” I answered him. “A guy I’ve been admiring for so long.”

 

“He must be a lucky guy.”

 

I looked away from him, trying to hide my cheeks which were starting to burn.

 

“How about you?” I asked. “Are you expecting someone to confess to you?”

 

“Ne. I am.”

 

“Who is she? What is she like?”

 

“A girl I can’t take my eyes off of. She’s simple, yet complex at the same time. She has this beautiful contagious smile on her face, and her eyes are really dazzling.” I saw him putting a smile on his face, a smile I’ve never seen him wear before.

 

“Oh,” I muttered, feeling disappointed. It’s not me, then. “How long have you liked her?”

 

“For a while now,” he answered straight.

 

“I see.” Suddenly, my hopes were fading. Should I really confess to him?

 

Just then, someone went in between us.

 

“Well, if it isn’t my two best friends, Hana and Minho!”

 

“Sunny!” I hugged my forever girl best friend.

 

“So,” she began as she let go, “did you already confess to him?”

 

“Huh?” I looked at Minho, who was looking suspiciously at us. “Uh… no! Not yet! I haven’t totally planned out the whole confession thing!”

 

“Oh? But this morning…”

 

“Uh, I think I better leave you two with your girl talks,” Minho said. “See ya, Hana.” He gave me a pat on the head then he left.

 

“See ya,” I replied in a soft voice. I took a deep breath.

 

“Hana, what’s wrong?” Sunny asked.

 

“I don’t think I’m going to confess to him.”

 

“Mwo?! WAEYO?!?!?!”

 

I gave her a look that only she could understand. She took my hand.

 

“Come on,” she said. “Let’s go find him.”

 

But before we could take a step forward, the bell rang.

 

Time for class.

 

-----------------------

 

The morning passed by with long Biology lectures and complicated Trigonometry problems. Before we knew it, it was time for our PE class.

 

“Yah, Cho Hana,” Sunny called me while we were in the girl’s locker room putting our shoes on. “Why don’t you confess to Minho during PE? It’s the only class you two have together.”

 

“No way.”

 

“Why not?”

 

I stood up. “Sunny, I just feel that it’s not yet the right time.”

 

“Then when do you think it is?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

If you’re not going to confess now, why don’t you just give up?” Two girls approached us with hands on their hips.

 

“Oh look, the wicked witches of the school have arrived,” Sunny muttered, referring to the tall one, Park Jiyeon.

 

“Shut up, Sunny. We don’t need your rotten side comments right now,” said the other one, Kim Gaein.

 

“Hana,” Jiyeon spoke once again, “Everyone knows that you and Minho have been friends since who-knows, but that doesn’t mean that you two will end up together. If all the other girls are lining up to confess to him and he lets them, then doesn’t that mean you really aren’t ‘the one’?”

 

I kept silent. I couldn’t respond.

 

“Besides,” Gaein continued, “isn’t there a rumor going on about Minho liking someone?”

 

“He never admitted!” Sunny suddenly spoke.

 

“He never denied it, either,” Gaein answered her.

 

“Hana,” Jiyeon called me, “if you don’t want to make a fool of yourself or even risk your special friendship with him, I suggest you take our advice. Forget about it.”

 

Jiyeon and Gaein left the locker room. Sunny and I were the only ones left inside.

 

“Hana—,” she began, but our conversation was interrupted at the sound of the whistle.

 

“Let’s go,” I told her and I left, not wanting to say anymore.

 

------------------------

 

The whole class was already lined up when we got to the field.

 

“Sunny! Hana!” Our coach called us. “You’re late.”

 

We immediately bowed down. “Mianhe, songsaeng-nim!”

 

“Alright, alright,” he said. “Just get in line.”

 

“Kamsahapnida!” We bowed once more before joining the rest of the class.

 

“So here’s what we’re going to do,” he began, “Since last week we discussed about the fundamentals of softball and some of us gave a little demonstration, today we’ll be practicing our softball throws and catches. Everyone will choose a partner and grab a mitt and a softball.”

 

He blew the whistle then everyone started to scatter, looking for someone to pair up with. I was about to ask Sunny to be my partner when Sungmin approached her. Since I knew that Sunny has a little crush on him, there’s no doubt that she would agree. Great, who’s going to be my partner now?

 

“Hana!”

 

Someone behind me was tugging my ponytail. I turned around. “Minho! Why are you pulling my hair?”

 

“Are you okay?” he asked.

 

“Huh?” I was confused. “Of course I am!”

 

“You’ve been in and out of your mind since this morning.” He gently put his hand on my forehead. “Are you sure you don’t have a fever or a headache?”

 

I could feel my heart beating dugeun, dugeun, dugeun. His hand is on my forehead! *squeals*

 

“HANA!”

 

I snapped out of my thoughts once again to a scary-faced Minho whose eyes were about to shoot fire at me. I pushed his hand away from me and took a deep breath. “Look, I’m sorry. I’m fine, okay? I don’t have a headache and I clearly don’t have a fever.”

 

He sighed. “Just tell me if anything’s wrong, alright?”

 

I nodded. He really must be worried right now.

 

“Find a good spot while I get our mitts and softball. We’re basically the only pair who hasn’t started yet.”

 

“Uh… okay.”

 

I looked around the field to see if there were any good places left to practice. I found a spot near a tree. It feels a little isolated, but at least it’s a little better than being hit in the head by random flying balls.

 

Minho came and threw me a mitt. “Hey, Lefty,” he teased.

 

I chuckled as we began playing catch. I haven’t heard that nickname in a long time.

 

“Remember the other names I used to call you?” he asked. “Dwaeji, Agi, Goyangi, Sagwa?”

 

“Oh, how could I forget? I used to cry every time you make fun of me with those names.”

 

He laughed. “You always were the easiest target.”

 

“Wait a minute; I wasn’t the only one who had weird nicknames: Big Eyes, Alien, Kroo-Kroo.”

 

“Yah. Don’t you dare bring that one up!”

 

“You’re the one who started it.” I caught the ball and then paused for a while. “You know, I never really understood why you called me ‘Sagwa’. Could you tell me?”

 

I threw the ball at him a little harder, but he easily caught it. “That is a secret.”

 

“You really love being silent, don’t you, Kroo-Kroo?”

 

“YAH!” He threw the ball at me harshly, but I caught it with a witty smile. Mehrong!

 

After a few more catches and throws, we decided to step back two steps further. Then we started practicing our overhead throws.

 

“I heard that three girls already went to confess to you this morning,” I spoke after a long while of silence.

 

“Didn’t accept any of them,” he coolly said.

 

“Jeongmal nabbeun namja!” I joked. “So, you’re gonna keep on waiting for that girl you like, aren’t you?”

 

“Maybe.”

 

I tilted my head. “Maybe? What does that mean?”

 

“I don’t really know if she likes me back.”

 

“Come on, you’re practically a kingka here. It’s impossible for her not to like you.” He just smiled, but something tells me it isn’t the happy smile he’d usually wear when he gets complimented.

 

“So, what about you? How’s your Valentine’s plan coming along?” he asked. I froze and obviously missed the ball.

 

“Um… uh…” Hana, don’t lose focus! At least not while he’s around!

 

I went after the ball, trying to avoid answering him.

 

“Is something wrong?” he asked. I just shook my head.

 

“Did he reject you?”

 

“Ani. Nothing happened.”

 

He took a deep breath. “He must have hurt you, right? Who is this guy?” He walked closer to me and put his hand on my shoulder. “Is there something you’re not telling me?”

 

I looked into his eyes. Should I really take this chance?

 

I stood up and faced him. This is it; I’m finally going to tell him. Hana, hwaiting!

 

“Minho-oppa,” I spoke softly.

 

“Ne?” He looked straight into my eyes. My heart started beating faster than I ever thought it could.

 

“I--”

 

But just as I opened my mouth, we heard the sound of the whistle.

 

“Okay everyone, class is over!”

 

Once again, my hopes fell down as our coach told us to return the mitts over. I missed it… I stupidly missed it.

 

“Hana? Hana?” Minho waved his hand up and down at me. The moment I snapped back to reality, I turned away from him.

 

“PE’s over. Time to go,” I told him dryly. I left the field without looking back at him.

 

“Hana!” he tried coming after me, but a girl approached him before he could catch up with me.

 

Looks like another confession, I thought.

 

I got to the girls’ locker room, where Sunny was waiting for me.

 

“So, Hana,” Sunny said with a smile, “Did you confess?”

 

I gave her an unreadable expression. “Forget about it.”

 

------------------------------------

 

I grabbed my tray and sat at a corner far away from the sea of people. I was happy with today’s special: Jajangmyeon and Kimbap, two of my ultimate favourite food. Lunch time, it’s the only thing I should think about right now; not Valentines’, not PE, and definitely not Minho.

 

“Hana, you better tell me what happened back there with Minho.”

 

Sunny unexpectedly sat down next to me with her own tray of food. Great, there goes my peace and quiet. I ignored her and concentrated on my Jajangmyeon.

 

“So you’re really not going to tell me anything, huh?” Sunny concluded. “Suit yourself.” She began eating her noodles without speaking another word.

 

Sungmin was the next person to sit at our table. “Hey Sunny. Hey Hana,” he greeted us and sat between me and Sunny. I ignored him as well.

 

“What’s wrong with her?” Sungmin asked her.

 

“Don’t know. She won’t talk about it.”

 

“Hana, if you need any help with your confession to whoever it is, just ask me and I can bring him here in a matter of seconds.”

 

I rolled my eyes and avoided any eye contact with them. They really aren’t going to stop reminding me of him, are they?

 

“Yah, Dwaeji, I know you’re enjoying your food but you could at least be polite enough to acknowledge your friends’ presence.”

 

Speaking of the devil…

 

“Shut up, Kroo-Kroo.”

 

He sat down next to me, possibly ignoring the fact that I just called him by the name he hated most. “Hana, what’s going on with you? You’re not acting like yourself today.”

 

I picked up a piece of kimbap, but he evilly snatched it away from me and ate it. “YAH!”

 

I was going to grab another piece when he unthankfully pushed the whole tray away from me. “You’re not going to take another bite unless you tell us what exactly is going on.”

 

I stared straight at the food and didn’t say a single word. I WANT MY JAJANGMYEON.

 

“Hana, are you even listening to us?” Sunny asked.

 

“I think she needs help, and I mean mental help,” Sungmin murmured. Sunny nudged him. “Ow!”

 

“That’s it, we need to talk.” Minho forcefully took my hand and dragged me out of the lunch room and brought me to the corridors. He suddenly stopped and let go of my hand. He leaned onto the lockers and looked down. I kept still, waiting for him to start.

 

“Hana,” he spoke softly, “Can you be honest to me? What am I to you, really?”

 

“A friend,” I unhesitatingly answered, “a friend I treasure the most.”

 

“Is that it?”

 

It took me a moment to answer one syllable. “Ne.”

 

He took a deep breath and looked at the ceiling. “Then why won’t you tell me what’s up?”

“I told you, nothing’s going on.”

 

“It doesn’t look like nothing’s going on!” he shouted and he turned to me, and my eyes were automatically locked into his. He seemed mad. “How come you never told me you had a guy you liked until now? Why won’t you tell me who it is? Why does it feel like Sunny knows more than I do? I’M your best friend, Hana. We made a promise not to keep secrets from each other!”

 

“Why should I even tell you?” I unconsciously answered back. “Is it really that important for you to know everything? Even you wouldn’t tell me who that girl is!”

 

“That’s a totally different situation!” He scratched his head, frustrated. “The point is that for the past hours, you’ve been treating me like dirt. You don’t talk to me like you usually do. You look like you feel uncomfortable being with me. You don’t even look at me! Have I done something wrong?”

 

“Ani.”

 

“Then why exactly are you treating me this way?”

 

I looked away from him, not wanting to answer.

 

“Fine. Don’t tell me. Forget about it.” Giving up, he walked away. All I could do was watch him go.

 

Is this what it feels like to ruin a friendship because of a stupid love bug? I took a deep breath. Babo, babo, a voice told me, you’ve been given another chance to confess, but you’re wasting it!

 

Why should I? Minho hates me now, doesn’t he?

 

Babo, he’ll hate you more if you don’t tell him.

 

I closed my eyes. You’re right. I should’ve been frank with him the moment we got here.

 

Yah! There’s no time left! Go after him!

 

I finally had my mind set. I have to tell him. It’s now or never.

 

I hurriedly went after him, hoping that he hasn’t gone back to the lunchroom yet.

 

Minho-oppa! Minho-oppa! I called out, but he didn’t answer.

 

Just as I was about to go to the lunchroom, I passed by at the staircase. His sanctuary, I thought. I remember that there’s a certain spot in the staircase where he likes to stay. He must be there.

 

I climbed down the stairs quietly. I was getting closer to where he was, but when I was only ten steps away from him, my heart sank. Jiyeon was there, with her arms around him. So she’s the one he was waiting for.

 

I backed away and ran to the nearest restroom. Tears were flowing, and I felt nothing but regret.

 

I missed it. I missed the chance.

 

-------------------------------

 

Minho’s POV

 

It was already half an hour past six, but I haven’t seen Hana exiting the school. I was becoming worried. I haven’t seen her since our little ‘discussion’ during lunch. Sunny passed by. She might know where she is.

 

“Sunny,” I called her.

 

“Minho-oppa!” she replied. “You haven’t gone home yet?”

 

“Have you seen Hana?”

 

“She left the school four hours ago. She said she was feeling a little dizzy.”

 

“She was?” I sighed. “Was she sick the whole day? Why didn’t she tell me?”

 

“Yah, what happened between you two during lunch?”

 

I didn’t answer her. “I have to go.” I walked away, not wanting to confront with her. I needed some time alone.

 

The moment I got to the bus stop, my bus was there. Just in time. I sat at the way back of the bus, next to the window. I plugged in my earphones and set my iPod to ‘Shuffle’. FT Island’s ‘You Don't Know My Feelings’ was the first song that came up. I sighed and leaned my head onto the head rest. The only thing that came into my mind was our fight.

 

“That’s it, we need to talk.” Impatient, I took her hand and led her to the corridors. When I found a place where I know no one would pass through at this time, I let go of her and leaned to the wall. She just stood there like a statue.

 

“Hana,” I began, “Can you be honest to me? What am I to you, really?”

 

“A friend,” she answered quickly, “a friend I treasure the most.”

 

I lowered my head. “Is that it?”

 

It took a while before I received an answer. “Ne.”

 

My chest began to ache upon hearing that one small syllable. I really thought I was more than a friend to her. I thought I was the guy she was going to confess to. No, I can’t show her my disappointment. I need to be a friend for her.

 

“Then why won’t you tell me what’s up?”

 

“I told you, nothing’s going on.”

 

Unknowingly, emotions began to erupt from inside. “It doesn’t look like nothing’s going on!” I looked straight into her eyes, trying my best to hold my feelings in. “How come you never told me you had a guy you liked until now? Why won’t you tell me who it is? Why does it feel like Sunny knows more than I do? I’M your best friend, Hana. We made a promise not to keep secrets from each other!”

 

“Why should I even tell you?” She answered back. “Is it really that important for you to know everything? Even you wouldn’t tell me who that girl is!”

 

I didn’t know how to respond. It’s true that I never told her who I liked, but it’s only because I didn’t think it would mean anything if I did. “That’s a totally different situation! The point is that for the past hours, you’ve been treating me like dirt. You don’t talk to me like you usually do. You look like you feel uncomfortable being with me. You don’t even look at me! Have I done something wrong?”

 

“Ani.”

 

“Then why exactly are you treating me this way?”

 

She didn’t answer. I guess I’m not as much of a treasure as she said.

 

“Fine. Don’t tell me. Forget about it.” I walked away, defeated. The only place I thought of going to was the staircase. When I got there, I sat down and let tears flow from my eyes. I ruined everything.

 

The bus made a stop at our neighbourhood. I got off and took time walking along the sidewalk. Before I knew it, I was in front of her house. I looked up at her bedroom window. I wonder if she’s alright. Whoever rejected her was a d***. She doesn’t deserve to be hurt. She doesn’t deserve to be treated this way. If she gets hurt, it should only be because of me; no one else. I chuckled at the last thing I thought. Why would I even dare hurt her when she’s the only one I want to have inside my arms?

 

“Minho!” My thoughts were interrupted when Kyuhyun-hyung walking out all of a sudden. I turned away and began walking when he caught up to me. “What brings you here?”

 

“Uh… nothing. I was just--” I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t want him to think I was a creep or something.

 

“Forget it.” He patted my shoulders. “Can I ask you a favour?”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Can you watch over her for a while? I need to run to the convenience store.”

 

Watch over her? Is he kidding me? “But I can run the errand for--”

 

“No need, it’ll only be a few minutes anyway.”

 

“What about Abeoji?”

 

“He has night duty. Oh, there are some sweets in the fridge. Bring them to her. You know how she loves to eat when she’s unwell, right?”

 

Before I could say no, he went off. I should have run away the moment he called me.

 

I took off my shoes and entered the house. It was awfully quiet, definitely in contrast to the noisy atmosphere this morning. I headed to the kitchen and noticed the small painting of a fruit basket. At the centre of the basket, there was a juicy red apple. I suddenly remembered our PE class.

 

“You know, I never really understood why you called me ‘Sagwa’. Could you tell me?”

 

She tried to throw the ball a little harder, but obviously her throw was still too weak. “That is a secret,” I said with a smirk.

 

I let out another chuckle. Hana, you really are a clueless girl, aren’t you? Or maybe you really didn’t notice anything at all? I took a deep breath. I shouldn’t think about this for now, Hana’s sick, and I bet she’s really craving for her chocolate at this moment.

 

I opened the fridge and a box of chocolates that was wrapped up neatly. Must have been the chocolates she forgot to bring, I thought. I began to wonder, did she confess or not? If she didn’t confess just because of the chocolates then all this is going to be one big face palm. But what if she really did? Could it be that her crush didn’t accept her because she didn’t gave him the chocolates? I felt my stomach grumble at the sight of the sweet. If only the chocolates were meant for me instead. Aish, what the hell am I thinking right now? Erase! Erase!

 

I took it out of the fridge and began climbing the stairs. My mouth was beginning to water. I took another look at the box. I suddenly noticed a card attached to it. Out of curiosity, I decided to read it:

 

Minho-oppa, are you hungry? Haha! Don’t resist your urge to eat this box of chocolates I made especially for you. Every piece counts for all the years we spent together as best friends. I hope for more years of togetherness. I’m not asking for anything in return, but I hope my feelings have finally reached out to you. Choahapnida.

 

Hana

 

I was dumbfounded. Was she trying to confess to me all along? I had no other way to react but through a face palm. I hurried to her room and knocked.

 

“Oppa, don’t you dare try to trespass my territory!”

 

I opened the door and barged in. “Yah, Sagwa! Don’t you know how tiring it was to wait for you to confess all day long?!”

 

She immediately shot up from bed and faced me. “M-M-M-M-Minho-oppa! How--” Her face was becoming red like a tomato.

 

I showed her the box of chocolates which I already opened and began eating. She hid under the blankets and squealed. I laughed.

 

She got up once again. “Wait a minute, what about Jiyeon?”

 

“Jiyeon?”

 

“Don’t play clueless with me! I saw you two at the staircase. It looked like you had a moment there.”

 

At the staircase? I thought for a while. Is she talking about… OH, HANA. I let out another chuckle.

 

“Babo, she was trying to confess to me. The hug was a part of her act.”

 

Her face became even redder. “But… So does that… Aish!” She hid under the blankets again.

 

“I have to tell you something though… your chocolates are too delicious. Was this made out of love?”

 

“OPPA!” she threw a stuffed animal at me. I only laughed harder.

 

Looks like this is the start of a whole new chapter for the both of us.

 

Hana, want to know why I call you Sagwa? It’s childish actually, but it’s because you are the apple of my eye. <3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Corny, I know. >_<

 

Dwaeji - pig (Minho’s definition: food lover)

Goyangi - cat (Minho’s definition: feisty)

Sagwa - apple (Minho’s definition: the centre of my fruit basket)

Agi - baby (Minho’s definition: cry baby)

Dugeun - the sound of a heart beat

Jeongmal nabbeun namja – really bad boy (A/N: Rough Korean. I’m still learning. ^^)

Choahapnida - I like you.

Jajangmyeon - black-sauced noodles

Kimbap - shrimp on roll bread crumbs

Kroo-Kroo - a name Hana made up to resemble the sound of a cricket whenever Minho’s quiet or being secretive.