Oh Oh Here She Comes

To Fall Into a Rut

"I have to tell you something." The intensity of Ella's voice startled her a bit but nodded.

"Go ahead. What is it?" She asked.

"No. Not here. Not now. What time is your break?" Ella looked around to see if there were anybody else in the room.

Ariel's perfectly shaped brows furrowed. She glanced at her cheap wrist watch. "7pm." She told her. She was on a mid-shift and as far as she knows, Ella wasn't. So, why was she there? "Aren't you suppose to be home, resting? Your shift ended two hours ago." She voiced her question.

"Listen, I don't have time to explain. Can you go to 1902 during your one hour break? Don't let anyone catch you, okay?" And without giving her any chance to argue, she bolted out of the locker room. *1902?* She thought. The nineteeth floor was where all the presidential suites are and were all the VIPs are billeted if there are any. And permanent suites of members of the Cheng family occupies the same floor too. Why would Ella meet her there? She pushed the confusion out of her thoughts and proceeded to the laundry room.

She was busy counting the soiled sheets ready to be loaded into the washer when she felt the sweat streaming down her face. The weather was extra hot today and the humid laundry room wasn't any help. She was about to wipe the sweat on her forehead when a hand beat her to it. She looked up and was surprised to see Joseph.

He gave her a smile. "Don't work too hard." He said and left without waiting any response from her. He also left several suits for dry cleaning. She can't help but smile. He's one thoughtful dude.

[flashback]

"Would you want to come in?" *I really hope you wouldn't.* She silently prayed.

"I would love to but it's late and you must get some sleep." He said but her mother appeared on the doorway without a warning that she jumped up.

"Ma!" She could tell that she paled. It was past midnight and she was supposed to be sleeping.

"I heard the sound of a bike and your voice." She said but eyes were on Joseph.

"Erhm, Joseph, this is my mother Saika Lin and Ma, this is Joseph Yuan, he works and at St. Regis too and he gave me ride." She explained fast before any ideas could make its way to her mother's mind.

"It's nice to meet you, Ma'am." Joe bent half of his body and she can tell that her mother looked pleased.

"Nice to meet you too." Saika said weakly and she looked liked she couldn't believe how handsome their visitor is. "Why don't you have some tea before you leave?" She invited, her eyes darted to the bouquet of flowers in her arms.

"I. . .ah. . ." He looked at Ariel, somewhat asking for approval but her mother already dragged him inside their tiny but tidy home. Ariel sighed heavily. *That's why you shouldn't come in.* She thought.

Joseph and Saika got along well and she woke up this morning on her bed even if she can't remember entering the room. The last thing that she remembered was that the three of them were sharing tea and she can barely open her eyes. Saika confirmed that he carried her to the bedroom when she fell asleep on the low table.

[end of flashback]

She didn't like the admiration that she was starting feel for him. It was not right but she can't help it. But how about the promise that she made to herself? *Put it to rest Ariel Lin! The guy's not even courting you!* She chided herself silently.

*****************************************************************************

Ariel was stunned to see a very handsome man who got the door when she knocked to unit 1902 as what Ella instructed her to do. His girlish features and honey-colored skin accentuated his flower boy appeal. "Good evening, Sir." She made one step backward and eyed the room number inconspicuously. She might be knocking to a wrong room for all she knows!

"I can't--" He was cut off when Ella made and appearance behind him.

"Sir, I asked Ms. Lin to help me clean the bathroom." Ella excused herself and dragged her to the anteroom. "What took you so long?" She hissed.

"I had to finish ironing twenty-five suits before I could take my break." She remembered Ms. Ma's face and strangled her in her thoughts.

"Sh*t. She struck again?! That girl is out to make our life miserable!" She took note mentally that she have to talk to Joe about it. Ariel nodded. "She's going down. Soon."

The determination on Ella's voice confused Ariel but she brushed any other thoughts off. "What is it that you want to tell me? And what are you doing here, by the way?" She noticed the flush interiors for the first time. The room was more elegant than the one that she tidied earlier. And it was a little. . .feminine? Creases made way to her forehead when she took note of the old rose colored sheets and drapes. Oh, the guest must be with a girlfriend. Anyway, the suite was larger than most of the condominium units around Taipei and can accommodate at least a family of five.

"The witch assigned me to be a personal maid for that guest." She sighed annoyingly.

"She did what?!" A personal maid? They weren't trained to do that! The guest must be a royalty. But the services that they offer in St. Regis is already fit for royalty. "Who's he, Sultan of Brunei?" She was sarcastic.

"Shhh!" Ella swatted her hand. "He might hear us!" They locked themselves inside the lavish bathroom. "I called you in 'cause I can't keep it from you anymore."

"What?" She was suddenly wary.

"Joseph's my brother." She declared. That, at least, was half the truth. Ariel stared at her wide-eyed. "Look, you know that the hotel doesn't employ two or more family members, right?" She shook Ariel a bit.

"Why didn't you tell me?" And weren't they fighting when they met at the lounge the other day?

Ella must have read her expression. "I didn't have any chance to tell you and we had a misunderstanding the night before he started to work here." All because of you, she wanted to add but chose not to. "I am sorry we had to lie." That last sentence said it all. But of course Ariel would think it was for not saying that she and Joe are siblings and nothing else.

"I-I understand." It was so difficult to look for a job these days and she can't blame other people if they will resort to faking their personal information just to land their desired position. "Is that all that you wanted to tell me?" She croaked.

"Y-yes." No! She wanted to tell her everything but she remembered her brother.

*****************************************************************************

Ariel went back to her to the lounge only to find a bouquet of flowers waiting on the table. A dozen or so pink stargazer lilies that gave a soft musky scent in the room. She was surprised to see her name on the envelope. She read the message but it just said, "This day became meaningful beacause of you." No signature even. She wondered who it came from. Then she remembered Joseph. Could it be. . ? Flowers aren't cheap. And they aren't rich. She should talk to him about it.

*****************************************************************************

Joe saw Ariel approaching the lounge with a bouquet of flowers in her arms. He narrowed his eyes. Who could have given her the flowers? She entered the screen double doors and looked around. Her gaze stopped on their table and he saw that Chun noticed her too.

"Here comes the maneater." Chun said in English and that earned a kick from him under the table.

"Ouch!" He glared at Joe, too late to realize what he just did. He earned curious glances from the nearby table. He instantly turned red.

Ariel approached their table and put the flowers in front of Joe before settling on a seat beside him. She took her bento out and started to eat without saying anything.

"A-are you giving me these flowers?" Joe was staring at her, his expression perplexed.

"More like giving you back." She replied nonchalantly, her voice slightly muffled with the food on . Chun was looking at her too, seemingly outraged by her table manners.

"But. . .these aren't from me." He said. Ariel has a secret admirer! The realization appalled him. Big time! He pushed the bouquet in the middle of the table to avoid tossing it in the nearest trash can.

"W-what?" The fish fry was suspended in the air. She can feel herself turning red all over.