Surprise Visit

To Fall Into a Rut

"She's already two hours late!" Chun exclaimed. He can't believe Ariel's making Joe's family wait. But it seemed that nobody noticed it apart from him. Everyone was in the mansion's den but each seemed to be preoccupied with something.

Then the butler announced the arrival of the visitor. He looked quite upset with something but was able to hide it pretty well. He ushered the person in and controlled gasps were heard in the room.

Ella looked as horrified as her mother. Chun was not a bit approving while Joshua's face was passive. Joe looked like he's just been kicked in the gut. There's only word to describe Ariel: ancient. It was a floral dress that doesn't fit her at all, the ones you find in your mother's closet from the 70s era that's two sizes bigger. But to call it Retro would be an insult to the Retro-futurists. It was just plain nauseating.

But Ella, like a real friend, was the first to recover. "Ariel. . .Jie." *Didn't I chose the best dress for her to wear?!* She smiled awkwardly. She didn't even know how she felt like after the whole revelation the other day.

"Ariel, these are my parents, Carlene Yang Hui Wen and Joshua Cheng En Qi. Ma, Pa, this is Ariel Lin Yi Chen, my fiancee." To Carlene and Joshua's surprise, Ariel knelt in front of them and bowed.

"I pay respect to the future parents-in-law."

"Aiyo! What are you doing?!" Carlene held her up. *She's as. . .traditional as her dress.* She thought. "You don't have to do that." She kissed both of her cheeks. Looking at her, she's everything you expect in a Yamato. Physically, at least.

"Welcome to the family, Yi Chen." Joshua smiled warmly.

"I think it would be best if we continue this in the dining room. The food's getting cold." Ella suggested and they all proceeded to eat a 'late-night dinner' as Chun puts it.

"You work for St. Regis, sweetheart, don't you?" Carlene asked.

***********************************************************************

"Y-yes, Ma'am." She stuttered a bit. She felt more awkward that ever by wearing such a stupid dress she found in Saika's old things. She didn't really want to go and wanted to annoy Joe. But seeing his family dress like they are going to the Oscars, she felt like a pauper. The uniforms of their maids are even more stylish that she's wearing. "I am a chambermaid." She remembered that Joe was the one who approached her and not the other way around. That lifted her spirits a little.

"You'll be its first lady soon so you don't have to worry." Chun retorted and she just gave him a zen stare. She can't believe that he was mad at her when it was them who pretended to be someone else.

Joshua cleared his throat. "Where's your. . .family, Yi Chen?"

"My mother's at home, Sir. And she's the only family I have." She added the last phrase drily. Surprise crossed his eyes. It was so fleeting that she could have just imagined it. She eyed Joe inconspicuously in front of her. He said only a few words since she came. What she's wearing was really that big of a deal huh?

"Call me Papa and I hope we can meet her soon. What's her name, by the way?"

"Saika. Saika Lin."

***********************************************************************

"Saika. Saika Lin." She answered.

"Do you have an appointment, Ms. Lin?" The secretary asked in a professional tone.

"No. But I'm sure if you'll just let Mr. Cheng know--"

"I am sorry Ma'am but the director can't accommo--"

"That's okay, Lia." A voice said.

"Good morning, Director Cheng." She bowed.
He eyed her and a facsimile of a smile curved his lips. "It's been so long, Yamato-san." He nodded to his assistant and he gave him his briefcase. "Bring us something to eat, Lia and please hold all my calls and cancel all my meetings for this morning." He opened the door to his lavish office himself and ushered her in.

She sighed heavily. "Thank you." She said simply.
"No problem. What brought you here?" He offered jobs not just once but she just can't let herself work for someone close to her family. For her, it was like spitting at Andrew's grave.

"I am sure you have an idea why I am here." She hated beating around the bush.