Of all the sweet things in life

Of all the sweet things in life

 

 

Tiffany Hwang loves all sweet things. The only thing she has asked Santa Claus for, wished on a shooting star for, and ever dreamed of becoming is the owner of a candy store. She always has some sort of sweet delicacy in her pocket and is willing to share them anytime. She wholeheartedly appreciates other people’s sweet gestures and kind actions, and knows very well how to return the favor. Overall, Tiffany Hwang herself was a very sweet girl.

 

So Tiffany surprised no one when she opened a very pink and girly gift and candy store right after she got out of university. It was a dream-come-true and she was living the perfect life anyone could have. Everyone supported her and her business quickly flourished.

 

But everyone was shocked when Tiffany fell in love with Jessica Jung.

 

Jessica Jung is like any other normal girl but she was just not considered as Tiffany’s type of candy. This girl, who was known by several nicknames ranging from Ice Princess to the quiet-creepy-but-hot-girl-who-sits-alone-in-the-back-of-the-room, can be described as anything but sweet. In fact, Jessica seemed allergic to anything sweet… but that was before she fell in love with Tiffany Hwang, the sweetest girl ever alive.

 

~~

They met for the first time in Tiffany’s pink store on Valentine’s Day. That fateful day, Tiffany was strolling through the aisles of candies and sweet knick-knacks, helping her customers choose the perfect presents, when the store’s doors opened with a loud jingle and Jessica ran frantically inside. As the owner of the store, Tiffany approached the girl, who was now hiding behind a tall pink shelf, to see what the matter was.

 

“Miss…?”

 

“Sorry but you have to help me. This guy with cucumber breath is chasing me and asking me to take a cucumber sandwich that he made!” Jessica spoke quickly and grasped Tiffany’s hands in an attempt to persuade her.

 

“Well, Miss, that isn’t really nice of you to run away like this.” Tiffany furrowed her eyebrows at the unkind and totally-not-sweet action of the latter, thinking that it was morally wrong in her standards.

 

“But he has cucumber breath and a cucumber sandwich.” Jessica reasoned with a whine and tightened her grip on the hands that were trying to escape.

 

“Well…” Tiffany felt herself slowly giving in to the fearful-looking puppy eyes in front of her.

 

At that moment, the door chimes jingled loudly again and a loud shout filled the small room of the store. “JESSICA-SSHI!”

 

“ohmygoshhe’shere!” Jessica said under her breath, panicking.

 

“There you are!” The man finally spotted the two girls and began walking towards the one he was chasing after.

 

Tiffany looked around her store, trying to come up with a plan quickly, and her eyes found a stack of rose-shaped lollipops on the shelf beside them. She hurriedly grabbed a few and pushed them into Jessica’s hands. Then with a full 180 degree change in character, she conjured up a smile so big that her eyes also disappeared in their own little smiles.

 

“Oh, Jessi. That’s so sweet of you honey!” Tiffany took back the candies that the surprised girl was holding limply and pulled her into a hug. “Did you run all the way here for me?”

 

Jessica nodded robotically, dumbstruck by the sudden change of situation. Tiffany used Jessica’s long hair as a shield to peek at the man who had now stopped in his tracks, looking confused and shocked.

 

“don’t just stand there, hug me back.” She buried her face in the crook of Jessica’s neck and hissed through gritted teeth.

 

Jessica stiffened even more when Tiffany’s warm breath brushed against her sensitive spots but she was able to move her hand and entwine them around the latter’s waist. After a few seconds, Tiffany let out a soft annoyed huff, noticing that the man still had not moved from his spot. She pulled back from the hug and slid her hands around Jessica’s neck.­

 

“Oh, I love you too Jessi.” She said out loud before leaning forward to kiss Jessica.

 

It was only a peck. Jessica closed her eyes when she felt Tiffany’s soft lips land on her right cheek, just at the corner of . Their lips barely touched each other’s but it didn’t look as so to others near them. Gasps could be heard all around them and the loudest came from the man with cucumber breath.

 

Tiffany watched discreetly as the man slowly his heels and walk out the doors of the store dejectedly.

 

“He’s gone!” She exclaimed loudly, happy that her impromptu plan succeeded, and stepped away from the stranger girl.

 

Jessica continued to stare at her steadily while other people turned towards them in confusion.

 

Tiffany grinned widely again, at her customers this time, and shook her hands in denial. “We were just acting. I just kissed her cheek. It was all acting. I’m good, right?”

 

Everyone burst out in laughter. Some applauded her while others shook their heads, being fooled. Everyone but Jessica. Noticing the silence coming from beside her, Tiffany turned questioningly to her.

 

“Hey, are you alright?” She asked worriedly, placing a hand on Jessica’s shoulder.

 

Jessica’s cheeks turned slightly pink at the contact and she ducked her head to cover them. “Yeah… thank you.”

 

“No problem!~” Tiffany immediately replied cheerfully.


“I’ll repay your kindness somehow.” Jessica spoke softly, wondering why she was feeling so shy all of a sudden.

 

“No need— actually, can you do me a favor?”

 

“Sure!” Jessica looked up eagerly.

 

“Be my girlfriend.”

 

“WHAT?!” Tiffany couldn’t help but to laugh at the girl’s reaction: her eyes widening to form circles and her jaw falling slack.

 

“Just like you, there are many guys wishing to ‘court’ me. That’s what I get for being the sweet pink princess, I guess. But I don’t want to break their hearts by rejecting them straight away. That’s against my laws of sweetness.” Tiffany explained and stated her law firmly. “You can stop them from falling in love with me if you act as my girlfriend.“

 

Jessica didn’t need any extra second to think about the request. “Okay!”

 

Tiffany eyesmiled again as she extended a hand. “Hello, I’m Tiffany.”

 

“I’m Jessica.” Jessica smiled back widely, shook the hand, and took out something from the pocket of her jeans. “Would you like a candy?”

~~

 

Tiffany claims that they make the sweetest couple in the world. She loves how Jessica always gives her a candy or chocolate every day, how Jessica always sleep in the storage room of her pink store during free times and off days, and the way Jessica tries to hide that she actually likes her sweetness. She says that the fact that Jessica hates everything sweet but loves her is what makes her sweet.

 

Yes, Tiffany loves Tootsie Rolls, Blow-pops, Hershey’s Kisses, sugar cookies, cookies and cream ice-cream, and caramel coffee. But above them all, she loves Jessica the most. Of all the sweet things in life, Tiffany found Jessica to be the sweetest.