Chapter 6

My Life as a Teenage Father

 

Minhyun and Minki thought there was something going on with their uncle. What exactly, they weren’t quite sure, but they knew something was going on.

And that something involved their beloved kindergarten teacher.

Minhyun and Minki were far from naïve. They knew when something was going on while all the other children were blissfully ignorant of it. They knew, they just knew. Minhyun was smart beyond his age (though he liked to pretend he was dumb so as to not make Minki feel left behind) and while Minki was quite the slow-learner, he made it up with his great sense of perception. Put them both together and you get a duo of super smart toddlers.

That or their uncle Dongho is just that loud whenever he talked with Aron on the phone.

But back to the point, Minhyun and Minki knew something was up with their uncle and teacher, and that ‘something’ was making their uncle spend even less time with them. The twins found they didn’t like having to fight for their uncle’s attention. It should have surprised them to be so attached to someone they knew only a little more than a month—but hey, they’re kids. They’re too young to think that.

All they know is that they dislike having to share their uncle with someone else.

And they plan to put an end to this something before the something gets out of hand and they will lose their uncle to this something. Something must be done to prevent it!

But first, the twins need to find out more about exactly what this ‘something’ was…

--x--

First things first, they need to find out more about their target. And what better way to find out than through their very own Jonghyun? Jonghyun must know a lot about Aron! The boy was so fond of the man to a fault, and they had heard enough stories about how Aron took good care of Jonghyun to know that Jonghyun must be rife with good information.

So, after their uncle Dongho dropped them off—not leaving before having a little pep talk with Aron who was greeting the parents at the gates—they raced off to find Jonghyun, who was conveniently on the swings near the entrance. Jonghyun’s face lit up when he saw them and waved them over, frowning a little when the twins didn’t wave back.

“Hey, what’s wrong—” Jonghyun wasn’t even given the chance to finish his question when Minki cut him off.

“Tell us all you know about Aron-hyung,” Minki commanded tersely.

“Eh? But why—”

“This is really important, Jonghyun,” Minhyun cut in.

“B-but…” Minhyun and Minki knew from Jonghyun’s facial expression that the boy was reluctant about sharing his information. Perhaps the direct way was a little too forceful. No matter, they have other ways of prying the information out of Jonghyun.

“Please Jonghyun,” Minki pleaded, clasping his hands together and trying to look as sickeningly cute as possible, “We will really appreciate it if you tell us.”

The twins saw the hesitance in Jonghyun’s eyes start to waver. Minhyun had to bite back a smile. The twins were quite well known for using their cute demeanors to weasel their way out of trouble back at their hometown. And while both were adept at using aegyo, Minki was always slightly better than Minhyun in that aspect (Minhyun was secretly proud of Minki for that).

“Well,” Jonghyun was much less weary of their intentions, but not completely incautious, “I have to know why you want it though.”

Minhyun and Minki took one glance at each other. Minhyun already predicted Jonghyun would say that, so they went with their plan. The corners of their lips twitching into a smile, they turned to Jonghyun and gave him a bright smile. “Our uncle and Aron-hyung are getting along really well lately, so we just wanna know more about him,” they said in unison.

That wasn’t a complete lie, because they did want to know more about Aron because of that reason. But they would have to hide their true intentions from Jonghyun for a while, at least until they could trust him enough that he wouldn’t screw up their plans. For now, Jonghyun would have to be left in the dark about all this.

“Oh…” Jonghyun mumbled, suspicion gone from his eyes, “Well I don’t really know what else to tell you about him…”

“Anything will do,” Minhyun encouraged, looking at him with pleading eyes.

“How about starting with the simple stuffs,” Minki said, “Like, uh…does he have a brother or a sister?”

“He has two little sisters,” Jonghyun answered, “But they are in this place called ‘America’. He lives alone here in Korea.”

“Does he have lots of friends?” Minki continued to question.

“No…I don’t think so…well, other than his friends from his school and the nice ahjussis that live in the same floor with us, I don’t know anyone else.”

“What does he like to do in the mornings?”

As Minki continued to question Jonghyun, Minhyun noted down all the information they gathered, down to the least important like his favorite pair of socks and his sleeping habits. It was important that they take note of every single thing that Jonghyun had to say about Aron. Who knows, it may be useful someday.

“Jonghyun! Minhyun! Minki! What are you kids up to?”

Minhyun and Minki froze, the voice of their teacher startling them down to their cores. Jonghyun didn’t notice the way his friends stiffened and made his way towards the teacher. Aron smiled warmly down at Jonghyun and patted his head lightly. “So what were you kids talking about?”

“We were talking about you!” Jonghyun answered happily. The twins froze in their tracks, hoping that their plans wouldn’t fail just after they started to initiate it. They held their breath, waiting for their teacher’s response.

“Oh really?” Aron smiled, his eyebrows raised. “Were you talking about how awesome I am?”

The twins quickly made a face (though in the inside they were very relieved) and stuck their tongues out playfully at their teacher. If there was one thing the twins loved about Aron, it was his playfulness and willingness to be the children’s friends rather than just their teacher and babysitter. Aron scoffed and scolded them lightly about being respectful to their elders, before ushering them both inside their classroom because it was time for classes to start.

--x--

With step one of their plan over and done with, it was time for step two: confide their situation to Junhong and Jongup.

Those two were the only grown-ups—sans their teachers, next-door neighbors, etc.—that the twins knew. And because they were grown-ups, they must know what was going on with their uncle Dongho and their teacher. Luckily, the two will be the ones to pick them up from school since their uncle Dongho would be busy with his part-time work that day.

Uncle Junhong was the first one to arrive as he peeked his head into the classroom and padding over to where the twins sat with Jonghyun. The twins excitedly greeted the young teen, while Jonghyun eyed the newcomer warily.

“Oh, hello there. You’re here to pick up the twins, I assume?”

Junhong and the twins turned their heads to where Aron was standing. Junhong immediately stood up and gave the teacher a polite bow, which the teacher returned.

“Aron-hyung, Jonghyun, this is uncle Jello,” Minhyun introduced, “Uncle Jello, this is our teacher and Jonghyun.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, err…Jello?” Aron raised his brow questioningly.

Junhong winced lightly and smiled sheepishly at Aron, “My actual name’s Choi Junhong, but my nickname is Zelo. But because the twins can’t pronounce ‘Z’ it’s morphed into well…Jello.”

Aron gave a short laugh, “Ah I see! It’s a pleasure to meet you Junhong!”

“Nice to meet you…” Jonghyun murmured, hiding behind Aron.

Junhong, seeing the somewhat apprehensive expression on Jonghyun’s face, crouched down until they were both on eye-level. Junhong gave the small boy his best smile, showing off his rows of pearly white teeth. “Hey there! So you’re Jonghyun, the twins told me a lot about you!”

Jonghyun nodded stiffly, eyes trailing down to the ground. Aron saw the action and chuckled at Jonghyun, patting the small boy’s head. “He’s a little shy, so don’t mind him,” Aron explained.

Junhong shrugged and stood back up, moving to herd the twins towards the door. “Come on now, kiddies! Uncle Jongup is probably already waiting by the gates. It was nice meeting you Aron-hyung!”

Aron gave the three a small wave as they left the classroom. Jonghyun kept silent as the trio left the room, eyes never leaving their form. Minhyun and Minki were a little too busy planning out their next step to respond back. They let Junhong push them along towards the gate, where Jongup was indeed waiting for them.

The twins immediately ran up to Jongup and latched onto the man excitedly. The young man laughed and picked up a giggling Minki, holding him tightly in place so he wouldn’t fall. “How was your day, twins?” He asked, smiling brightly.

“It was great!” Minki answered, before his expression suddenly turned serious, “but we want to ask you something.”

“Oh really?” Jongup replied absentmindedly, leading the four out of the school gates. Minhyun had long before attached himself to Junhong’s hand, said boy walking next to Jongup. “What do you want to ask about?”

“Uncle Dongho’s been acting weird,” Minhyun piped in.

“Weird?” Junhong echoed, slightly intrigued, “Weird how?”

“We don’t see him much anymore,” Minki explained.

“Well, he’s just busy with work and school, you know that—” Jongup was cut off before he could finish his sentence by Minki.

“He keeps calling Aron-hyung after he tucks us in.”

The four were silent for a while, Jongup and Junhong even stopping in their tracks to look at the two kids in bewilderment. Jongup and Junhong turned to look at each other for a moment before turning back to Minki and asking, “What do you mean calling?”

Minki shifted uncomfortably in Jongup’s hold, “He likes talking to the phone almost every night and we heard him say ‘Aron-hyung’ once…”

“What were they talking about?” Jongup queried.

“I don’t know... I can’t really remember…” Minki mumbled.

“I think they mostly talked about learning this…English thing? And—and about meeting up somewhere. But sometimes they talked about stuff like us and Jonghyun,” Minhyun chimed in.

“Really…” Jongup trailed off, a glint of amusement in his eyes. Junhong looked at Jongup, confusion written all over his face, slightly confused at why his friend was grinning like he just won the lottery. “Did he talk about anything else?”

Minhyun looked thoughtful for a short while, before shaking his head. He couldn’t remember anything else. “Is there something wrong with our uncle?” Minki asked Jongup, a slight worried look on his face.

Jongup laughed, “Don’t worry, there’s nothing wrong with uncle Dongho! Right Junhong?”

Jongup turned to look at Junhong, who was staring at him rather blankly, still clutching Minhyun’s hand. Apparently he hadn’t quite caught on, Jongup thought. Jongup mouthed ‘I’ll tell you later’ to Junhong before turning back to Minki, “Your uncle’s fine. So no need to worry, okay? How about we stop by the supermarket and by some candy for you two? But don’t tell your uncle about it.”

As Jongup and Junhong began walking once again, Minki leaned slightly over Jongup’s shoulder to catch Minhyun’s eye. They exchanged gazes before Minhyun nodded slightly. The outcome wasn’t exactly what they had in mind, but it would have to do. At least now they had let the two in on the situation they were in. It was then time for the next step:

To finally take action.


I actually planned to finish and update this like two days ago but I kinda got distracted ._. Sorry, I have the attention span of a squirrel. And have you guys watched the Not Over You MV, yet? Wasn't it so cute~ Oh and if you think the chapter dwindled in quality towards the end, that was the result of me getting distracted...again...Please forgive me.

Anyways, I finally had a chapter with MinRen's POV, and let me just say one thing: I really love ing kids. XD So sorry, but the twins will be ing the Baekho and Aron for a while. They're just a tad possessive~ Next chapter we'll revert back to Baekho's point of view!

Thank you for subscribing/commenting/taking the time to read! You guys are awesome!