If Only...

Let Me Fly...

I closed my eyes and let the wind rush through my hair like a massive, gentle comb. I breathed in deeply, taking in the fresh air Mother Nature had to offer. I opened my eyes ever so slightly. A bright blue sky tinged with specks of yellow from the blazing, golden sun met my vision; soft, white clouds hovered in the air, refraining the captivating blue from being too outspoken. The heavens were in perfect harmony, in complete and peaceful balance. My eyelids fell shut again, closing off my window of the world before me.

Droplets of water stained the cement at my feet, each a tiny splash, a meager representation of the regret I felt inside. My chest heaved, my heart deteriorating. If only I hadn’t let him go… If only I had confessed to him when I had the chance… I smiled sadly and held a fisted hand to my pain-filled chest. I loved him so much that it hurt… The tear-stained wedding invitation was torn out of my shaking fingers and rippled through the air, dancing in the wind before drifting far, far away. The rumors had come as a shock to me; they had reached deep into my heart like an unseen hand, grasped my soul and twisted it in the most painful way. The invitation, however, had the hand ripping the remains of my soul from my body, leaving a gaping void in its wake. Now, with every day that I lived, my heart still bled with the blood from the wound of that day. I only wished now that I could go back in time and correct my faults, that I could go back and cast aside my pride and fear…but that was all only wishful thinking… If only I hadn’t been such a coward back then…

If only…

"God, if you really exist like they say you do, and you really can hear me… then I ask you to answer my prayer just this once. Please give me wings… Please let me fly, let me soar above the clouds and among the heavens, free with the wind at my side and the sun at my face…"

Please let me fly to him…

As if in response to my wish, a sudden gust of wind blew up into my face, rippling my clothes. I smiled sadly and spread my arms out, leaning forward into the reply. A distant voice called to me, but I paid it no heed. Nothing else mattered now; nothing else could hold me back…

"Heechul-ah! NO!"

Air swirled and spun all around me, whipping and comforting me both at the same time. It was like being caught in a tornado, yet standing in its eye; chaos all around, but never actually touching me. And then, I spread my newborn wings and took flight.

I ascended high into the air, above the building roof which had been my runway, above the city that was once my home, above the people I called my friends, and soared into the atmosphere. A smile spread across my lips as bliss washed over me. I was free…

I looked down and took in the sights of another city, one that I had often sought comfort in. Night was quickly settling in; the stars were out and soon to be accompanied by the brightest celestial nova. My eyes quickly spotted a familiar house and soon, I stood at its doorstep. I let myself in. There wasn’t any need to knock; I had always been welcomed here. It was a second home to me, and the residents, a second family.

I made my way to the room we had both shared once upon a time. It was exactly the same, yet exactly different all at once. The walls were of during our times together, with pictures and posters of the Super Junior family strung everywhere; the furniture hadn’t seen another arrangement. The window was wide open as usual and the curtains the same silky material that I loved. However, the two figures that lay in each others arms on the bed, contently asleep, were a new sight to my eyes. I walked over to his side, and gazed over his sleeping form. He looked exactly as I had remembered him, if not better.

Healthier.

His perfectly chiseled physique; his smooth, pale skin; his dark eyebrows which lay in just the right place over his closed eyes… And underneath all of that was a perfect soul. Kind, gentle, caring… Everything about him still made my heart beat fast, as fast as one’s heart could beat now… I reached out a hand and lightly touched his cheek.

 If only...

HANGENG POV:

 

I opened my eyes to a cool touch on my cheek; I looked around, but there was nothing there. Only pale blue shadows casted by the wane moon... I glanced over to see the woman I loved laying next to me. I was excited for morning to come, for the day that we would be united in marriage. I was excited to see all of my closest friends there with me, to see all of my former band members standing by my side as I kissed my lovely bride. Most of all, I longed to see my best friend again. After all of these years, I wondered how he was doing. I hoped that he had found happiness and that I would soon attend his wedding. My face fell slightly. My departure had taken its toll on him from what I had heard and seen. I had apologized to him, but it was all I could do to hope that it was enough to heal him, to heal myself. Leaving my new family was just about the hardest decision I had to make. I wanted desperately to see them, to see him in person and convey that my feelings hadn’t changed, that we would always and forever remain the closest and best of friends.

A slight breeze blew across my face and somehow calmed me down, telling me to relax. I sighed. It was like when he and I slept here in this very room during his visits. I had always kept the window open, allowing fresh air to circulate throughout the room. It had become such a source of peace that I had come to depend on it to sleep at night. Another breeze drifted into the room, carrying the sands of slumber in its grasp.

"Saranghaeyo, Hankyung-ah…" the wind seemed to say. I smiled, as it reminded me of Heechul’s voice. I silently chuckled to myself. I was getting ahead of myself; maybe I was a little too eager to see him again. I closed my eyes, grinning to myself. I did not know that I would wake up to a phone call from Leeteuk the next morning or that the news he carried would shatter my heart; I did not know that the innocent slip of paper I had sent him had been enough to break him and push him over the edge; I did not know that I would never come to see my best friend at my wedding. I just let a blissful sleep capture me as I lay in the arms of my fiancée, full of content and eager to see the next sun rise.

 

_____________________

Sorry it's so short, but I hope it's okay :D Please comment! <3 And please feel free to read my other fanfics, too! <3

*sniff* So Heenim finally found the courage to say "I love you"......but it was too late...TT^TT Sorry for killing him off >.<