Unknowingly You

Get One Smile, Get Another One Free

There was a little girl resting her head on the couch. Her sister had gone out to get some food for her and she was left alone in the empty dark dull room. She spent her time in the room counting how many beats from the heart monitor it would take for her sister to come. Even a couple times she hummed a tune to the rhythm of the machine.

The sound of heavy breathing made the little girl sat up immediately as she looked intently at the bed in front of her.   

“Umma?” The little girl called out slowly tippy toeing up on the side of her mother’s bed.  

“Boonie,” her mother said almost as if mumbling.  With a quick instinct the girl s took her mother’s hand,

“Umma, Boonie’s here.” She was amazed of how different her mother looked from just a day ago. Her mom looked very fragile and pale. Never has she seen her mom with such a harsh condition as this. That beautiful vibrant face lost its colors.    

“Boonie-ah…..” she calls out again weakly her dry lips.

“Umma, are you okay? Are you sick?” She asks worriedly trying to keep herself tippy toed.

“Boonie……” She weakly called out again.

“Umma….” She was tearing up now. It hurt her to see her mom this way.

“Boonie, uljima. Don’t cry,” her mom spoke softly with a raspy voice as if she hasn’t been able to drink any water.

“Umma,” she whimpered.

“Boonie-ah,” he called out again wiping her daughter’s tears with her thumb. Before speaking again, she swallowed, “Wipe that frown off your face and smile,” her mom demanded smiling weakly back at her.

“I don’t want to. You’re sick. How can I smile when you’re sick?”  

“Boonie-ah, let me tell you something,” she tightened her grip on her daughter’s tiny hands and pulled her closer to her.

“No matter how much you hurt inside, you keep your head up high and give your best smile because when you smile, the world will smile back at you,” she told her with the last few breaths and immediately her eyes were dark and she left the world.

“Umma?” The little girl called out with a shivering voice and shakes her mom. “Umma, are you asleep?” She asked with tears now welling up in her eyes. “Umma, wake up,” she shook her frantically. “UMMA WAKE UP.”  

A flash of light hit her face and she immediately opened her eyes to find herself leaning her head against the bus’s window with tears streaming down her face. The sun must have been beaming down on her making her wake up.

“Hey, were you crying?” A familiar voice asked her. Turning her head to the left side of her, Minwoo was sitting across from her. Her eyes widen and she quickly wipes her tears away.

“No….I got something in my eye,” she mumbled turning her head to face back at the window again. 

Minwoo could have sworn he saw her crying in her sleep, but decided not to ask any further questions and continue on listening to his iPod. 

She could have been sitting at home right now having a cup of warm hot coco, but instead, she was stuck in a bus with no heater and a whole bunch of rowdy students who kept on bothering her. The thing is that she’ll be living with them for a week. Sitting alone in one seat on the bus didn’t help with anything. Others in front of her threw gum wrappers behind their backs as if her area was some sort of waste basket. Students behind her kicked the back of her seat constantly. She knew this would happen, but somehow her sister was able to convince her to go on the trip.

“Hey Miss. Poverty, I got a little something for you,” one of the girls sitting in front of her taunted dumping a bag of chocolate wrappers onto her lap. Others around laughed and began throwing anything they could find at her. There was no point in standing up to them. It would only encourage them to throw who knows what at her.

Giving out a loud sigh she sat and held her head low as everyone continued pelting trash at her.

“Dude,” Youngmin tapped on Minwoo’s shoulder to get his attention.

“What is it Youngmin?”  Minwoo asked taking out one side of his earphone.

“You got to see this,” Kwangmin instead pointing to the seat across of them.

“If it’s a new Pikachu phone case you just bought, I’m not listening.” Turning his head around he became infuriated when he saw the defenseless girl was being pelt with trash. Immediately he got out of his seat, and sat right to her.  

“Sunbae?” She called out confusingly.  Students gasp when he sat down next to her. It was as if Minwoo had saved her. Every student turned around and sank in their seats in defeat.

“K-kamsamnida..”  Minwoo only nodded and placed his earphones back in his ear.  

*********

During the rest of the time on the bus, he stayed sitting right besides her. It was getting dark and there was still a long way to go. Everyone else on the bus was no longer loud a rowdy, all fast asleep.

 She felt very awkward sitting next to him. So uncomfortable that she felt restricted and stiff. Whenever she turned her head to stare at him, he would notice and smiles each time right back at her.  His sweet smile made her breathing become abnormal; her heart beat quickly, and made her blush madly. Luckily, it was too dark for him to see so she didn’t have to worry.

She began to feel her eyelid drooping down, her head slowly leaning on the back of the bus. A couple of times her head whipped back and forth. She tried her best to stay awake because she didn’t want to be seen sleeping by Minwoo, but could keep her eyes open any longer  as she found herself resting comfortably on someone’s shoulder.

It surprised Minwoo when he felt someone resting on his shoulder, but when he saw it was her, his face softened and he scooted closer to her so her head rested more comfortably on his shoulder.

“When I saw you the other day, there was a sparkle in your eye that resembled someone. How stupid was I to think you were Boonie,” Minwoo murmurs resting his head on her head before drifting off into his dreams.

“Minwoo Oppa….” She murmurs in her sleep with tears streaming down her cheek. Followed by Minwoo,    

“Boonie-Ah…” 


Seriously, man. I swear this was allot more on Microsoft Words xDDD Welp, another chapter. =.= Homework and school is a pain. So is being sleep deprived :P If there are any grammar mistakes, I'll fix it later xDD I'm too sleepy right now to fix it. Maybe more chapters will be added during this lovely 4 day weekend of mine~!!!!YAY~! Sorry to keep you waiting.