We Might As Well Be Strangers

Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any characters. That would be bad for Henry Lau's and Donghae's health (or practically everyone in SuJu) :D


“The liar's punishment is, not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.” 
― George Bernard ShawThe Quintessence of Ibsenism


 

Henry swallowed the last bits of cornflakes he's having for breakfast, forced himself to mechanically get up from chair and washed himself. 

Today would be like any other day, he sighed and put on the best smile he could managed. Like any other day.

He was the last one to finish preparing and everyone else was already in the van. The hyungs were busy entertaining themselves through a joke told by Shindong hyung. Henry acted like he understood what they were laughing about and he laughed along with them, hopefully they weren't laughing about him.

Manager hyung announced that they will be guests in a talk show. Back in the older days it would thrill Henry to the core, now he seemed to dread it. He was losing count on ways on how to be interesting. No matter, he thought they'll cut my part anyways.

He chucked on his earphone in his ears and tried to drown himself in a song. In moments like these he would force himself to sleep or try to pretend to get along with the older hyungs. The latter was exhausting though, so in most days he choose the former. If only I wasn't just a filler was his last conscious thought as he finally dozed off to dreamland.

His dream wasn't helping either. He was in a middle of somewhere. Alone. He forced his eyes to open with so much difficulty; the light was blinding. He tried one last time. There, he made it. He found himself in a middle of a concert arena. Fans are going crazy. Their shouting for him! Thousands of sapphire blue glowsticks were dancing suspended in midair as their frantic handlers danced and screamed for his name in the dark. With his prized violin on hand he tried to play a song. Smooth criminal, he thought. ELF loved it. But as he raised his arms he quickly realized the words the fans were shouting.

"Only thirteen! Only thirteen!"

He tried to blocked the sounds. No one can stop me, he thought.

The first note was a success, he managed to deaden the hurtful screams. But as he reached the fourth, the fifth and the sixth, he totally lost it. The tears he was fighting really hard not to fall were now streaming down his cheeks. I'm not good enough. I'm not good enough.

 

:::

A sharp pain on his neck sent him screaming from unconsciousness. He was still in the van and the hyungs were looking at him, anxiety etched on their handsome faces.

"It's just a nightmare," Leeteuk hyung said. He noticed that the leader's palm was still on his neck. He was the one who woke me up. Aish, how am I supposed to explain my dream. He was sure for the questions that would follow.

"You don't have to tell us if you are not ready." Teukkie affirmed Henry softly, guessing what is probably on the magnae's head. Henry, taking aback, simply nodded.

They're not interested in your qualms.

 

:::

The talkshow was like, well how most talkshows looked like. They were sort of required to tell some funny/interesting anecdotal tales about themselves or the other members, or if they can't spare any, they just have to laugh and pretend to have a good time. And that is exactly what Henry did.

Things were going well until one of the talkshow hosts turned his attention to him. He asked him how were things in the SuJu dorm "in the youngest member point of view".

'Uh, well." he stammered. He felt the hot-as-rod glare of their manager from the PD side. He pulled himself together. "Things are good, sure its different from my friends back home," he paused, collecting his thoughts "but they made sure I belong in, like a family." he finished.

"So you would't mind playing a game?" the same talkshow host said with a hint of excitement in his voice. Henry couldn't help the sharp painful throb on his chest. Talkshow games are hard to fake.

The game is simple, he just have to call any member of Super Junior not present in the talkshow and act as if in dire need. Simple. It has been done quite a few million times and almost always ended up funny and interesting. Henry was sure that his heart would jump out any minute for too much pounding. Oh God, he thought, how to escape this.

The choices will be Siwon hyung (who is filming a drama), Yesung hyung (feeding his turtles?), Kyuhyun hyung (rehearsing for his latest musical) and Heechul hyung (who might be in the middle of his radio show)

He proceeded to dial Siwon hyung's number and silently prayed to the God that Siwon believed for things to be funny and interesting.

"Yoboseo?" Siwon answered on the first ring

"Hyung..." he said softly while trying to stifle a fake laugh "I, I... something's wrong...I need your help..."

"Why?" His hyung replied, clearly alarmed. He could imagine the burrowed frows on the tallest hyung face "What is it? Are you in trouble? Tell me."

Henry glanced sideways on the talkshow host and the Suju hyungs, asking for advice on how to go on from there. He couldn't understand their mouthed suggestions so he went on and improvised.

"I'm in the dorm, hyung." he whispered softly, a vague idea was forming on his mind. "I'm so alone hyung... My thoughts are darkening, they're scaring me. I'm thinking of doing bad things... to my self." he whispered, words were forming freely in his mouth now as if they're not his own "It hurts hyung..I, I, I can't do this anymore Siwon hyung. I just can't..." He trailed off. For some, it may be mistaken for great acting. He sounded real, in pain. But for Henry's end, it was the first honest thing he said all day.

"What?" he could practically hear the panic on Siwon hyung's voice as he shouted his way on the other end. "Please, Mochi, don't do anything harsh. Please, I'm begging you. I'll be there in a sec... keep holding on." He could sense that Siwon was running, his breathing was becoming rapid by the second. He could imagine the frantic face of his hyung. "Are you still there? Hyung is coming, promise...keep talking to me Mochi, please. I'm listening..."

He lookep up to the talkshow host but he avoided the eyes of his SuJu hyungs. The host gave him a huge thumbs up. He did well. He acted great, realistically. Oh well, that wasn't an act on Henry's end.

"Hyung?" he talked on the phone again, this time a bit louder, far from the whispery voice he had earlier. "I'm okay, i'm okay. I;m just on a talkshow. You're on air now." he explained, while letting out a real laugh this time. As if on cue, Siwon let out a huge sigh of relief and laughed heartily.

"Don't do that to me again, please" replied Siwon hyung, a bit weak. It was followed by some funny chitchat and he hanged up.

Now it was Henry's turn to sigh of relief. As if he had been hoarding all the air in his lungs. That went well, he managed to be interesting. The talkshow host threw some lame jokes about that small segment, making it looked like a very funny encounter worthy of applause. Henry tried his best to smile. If only they knew...

He was so preoccupied that he failed to notice the curious glances exchanged by his hyungs. They knew Mochi wasn't acting.

 


Yeay! My first oneshot!

Sorry for the mistakes/errors. I typed this with only an eye open, so yeah. Please let me know what you think. :)

PS: Fanfic title came from Fall Out Boys' song PATRON SAINT OF LIARS AND FAKES. aaand yes, it has nothing to do with the story..

Anyhow, please check out my other fics. XD

Sequel is out loves! The Truth Doesn't Make a Noise