622.77 Miles Away (One Shot)

622.77 Miles Away (One Shot)

Katelyn was sitting in a booth next to the window in her favorite cafe, Cafe Latte. She was drinking a Caffé Machiatto. She couldn’t help thinking to herself, what has happened with my life? How did her life go from horrible to perfect? It all started when she was 5 years old...
 

“Hehe. Tag, you’re it!! Betcha’ can’t get me!... Taemin? Are you OK?” She asked as she sat down next to her best friend ever.

“No. I’m not.” Taemin responded.

“Oh, well what’s wrong?”

Taemin sighed, “…. I’m moving.”

Taemin looked like he was about to cry. Katelyn couldn’t blame him. After all, they’ve been the best of friends since they were 2 years old. The thought of her best friend in the entire world moving? It’s just too much… But what did she know, she was only 5 years old.

“What!?!? Where are you moving to?” She asked.

“Misery.”

“Misery? Where’s that?”

“I’m not too sure, somewhere between Canada and Alabama.”

“Oh.” She knew she was asking too many questions, so she decided to stop.

The recess bell rang for the second time. They went back to the classroom and finished their day of school. At the end of the day Taemin walked toward Katelyn.
 

“So I guess this is goodbye?” He asked with a frown.

“For now. Promise me that we will see each other again one day.”

“I promise…” Taemin said as he locked pinkies with Katelyn.

Taemin got in his car, and his mom started to drive away. He stuck his head out the window and waved goodbye. Katelyn tried to hold in all her tears, but it was too hard. She was crying, and there was no way of stopping it. Her best friend is moving and there was nothing anyone could do about it. When she got home, she didn’t want to do anything except cry. She was going to be all alone at school. No one to play with, laugh with, no one to be there when she needs a shoulder to cry on. No one. Just her.

Days started to pass, then months, and even years. Before you knew it, Katelyn was 9 years old. She was sitting on the couch watching her favorite movie, Tangled, when her mom came in with the mail.

“Katelyn!” Her mom called.

“Coming mother!”

“There is mail for you.” She said as she handed Katelyn a scrunched up envelope.

“Thanks’ mom!” She replied.

She grabbed the envelope and ran upstairs. She sat on her fluffy pink bed, and looked at the unopened envelope. “I wonder who it’s from” she thought. It felt as light as a feather. She unraveled the top of it, pulled out the piece of paper and unfolded it. It read…

Dear Katelyn,

Life here in Missouri is really cool! But there is one thing missing… My best friend. I have met a lot of new friends. One of my friends names is Onew. He’s very weird, but fun to hang around with. He kinda reminds me of you. I hope sometime you will get to come and visit. Or maybe I can come back to Minnesota. Either way I hope to see you soon.

Saranghae,
Taemin.

 

Katelyn’s heart raced like a horse on steroids. She was so happy to hear from TaeTae (her nickname for him). She quickly grabbed a piece of paper and started to write. She told him all about how her life has been, and how much she wishes he would come back.

She stared out her bedroom window, and started to think about Taemin. Would they ever see each other again? Will he reply to her letter? What if someone else has already taken her place as his best friend? All these questions were running through her mind. Some would be answered later in life, and others would never be answered.

One week passed and she got another letter in the mail. It read,


 

Dear Katelyn,

It’s great to hear that you are doing good. I also miss you. Onew and I went to the movies the other day. We saw an awesome movie about cars that transform. It was so cool! We saw it in 3D! Or something like that. You should go see it, you would love it! My teacher in school is cool too. We all had to paint a picture of a scenery. Mine has a little rose in the front. It was red… MY FAVORITE COLOR!! Great to hear from you! Please write back!

Saranghae,
Taemin.

It was good to know that her best friend would never leave her side. He knows that she would never leave his either (even if he does put words in his letters that no one understands).
Each week, she would always get a letter on Friday. So every Friday, she would race home to check and see if the mail was there. It’s not like she had any friends to hang out with. In school, she was always known as the Mail Girl. Just because she writes her best friend doesn't mean she’s a mail girl right?
One Friday afternoon, Katelyn walked home, and checked the mail as usual. She walked through the front door, set down her coat and backpack, and shuffled through the fliers and bills. When she got down to the last envelope, she saw that there was no letter from Taemin. “Oh well.” she thought to herself, “maybe next Friday.”
The next Friday came sooner than she thought. Katelyn checked the mailbox. The only thing in it was a letter from her Uncle to her mom, and the electric bill. But where was Taemin’s letter? He couldn’t have forgotten her. Could he? No way. That would never happen!
About 3 weeks passed. Still no letter from Taemin. She started to get worried. She thought that Taemin might have got in some big trouble, or worse... He might have forgot about her! “I’m going to give him one more week to prove that we are still best friends! If he doesn’t send me a letter, then I’ll forget about him too!” she thought to herself.
Well, when that next week came, and there was no letter from Taemin in the mail, Katelyn finally had enough. “If he doesn’t care about me, then I don’t care about him either!” she said to herself, and that was that! She didn’t bother to think about Taemin any longer.
So now that you know what happened, here we are. Katelyn is now 13 years old, has tons of friends, and even a boyfriend! Everything was finally going right for Katelyn.
 

On Friday the 13th, the teachers made it a half day. The only reason they made it a half day is because the teachers at Westford High are VERY superstitious. When Katelyn got home, her best friend Sunny called.

“Hey.” Sunny said.

“Hi.”

“You wanna come over?” Sunny asked.

“Ya, just let me ask my mom.”

Katelyn went downstairs to try and find her mom, but all she found was a note on the door of the refrigerator. It read,

Dear Katelyn,

Went to the store to get food. I will be home soon. Try to not tear up the house while I’m gone.

Love you,

Mom

P.S. If you want to go to Sunny’s house, I approve.

Katelyn ran back upstairs, sat on the bed, and picked up the phone.

“I’ll be over in 5!” Katelyn said, and hung up the phone.

Within the 5 minutes Katelyn was at Sunny’s house. Katelyn and Sunny spent about 3 hours watching videos on the Internet, either about cats doing stupid things, or music. After that, Sunny’s mom called both girls down for dinner. Once they were finished eating, they went back upstairs to Sunny’s room.

“So what do you wanna do now?” Sunny asked.

“I don’t know.”

“Wanna go-”

Just then Katelyn’s phone rang. Real loud too. She ran over and picked it up. It was her boyfriend, Jonghyun. The text read,


 

Hey, I’m breaking up with you. =)


 

Well, I can officially tell you that, that just about killed Katelyn. Especially since he knew that Katelyn’s birthday is in 2 days.

“He broke up with me.” Katelyn said with sadness in her voice.

Sunny asked in the stupidest way, “Jonghyun?”

“No, David. YES JONGHYUN!” Katelyn said sarcastically.

“I’m sorry.”

“Ya, he’s not worth it.” Katelyn said almost in tears, “Who am I kidding, that boy was amazing.”

“Like the old saying says, if two hearts don’t fit together, it wasn’t meant to be,” Sunny said pointing to a plaque on the wall.

“Now I have nothing.” Katelyn said.
“You still have that kid, what’s his name? It starts with a T...”
Katelyn’s eyes opened wide. Her best friend. The one she forgot about for 2 years. Katelyn quickly grabbed her phone and called her mom.
“Hello?” Her mom answered.
“Hi mom, I know what I want for my birthday.” Katelyn said.
“And what is that?”
“Taemin.” Katelyn said.
“What?”
“I want to see Taemin. That’s all I want!” Katelyn pleaded.
“But you two haven’t talked since you were 11.” her mom said kinda depressed.
The phone went silent. After what seemed about an eternity, her mom said, “I’ll do my best.” then hung up.
2 days passed quicker then Katelyn thought. Katelyn walked downstairs, to find her mom with a cake. Then her mom handed Katelyn a card. She took the card and was getting ready to open it, but she was interrupted by her mom.
“Wait! You have to open it outside.” Her mom said.
“What!?!?” Katelyn shouted. “I’m still in my pajamas!”
“I don’t care. Now go!” Her mom said as she pushed Katelyn out the door.
Katelyn watched her mom close the door on her. She sat down on the concrete, and without hesitation, opened the envelope. It read,

Happy Birthday Katelyn. Sometimes life gets you down, and you feel like you have nothing left. But you just have to remember that no matter what, your friends and family are always there for you.
Saranghae,
Taemin
P.S. Turn around.

Katelyn stood up looking puzzled, yet happy. But as the letter said, she turned around. Standing right there, in front of her, was Taemin.
“Surprise” Taemin said.
Katelyn raced into Taemin’s arms. This was quite possibly the best birthday she would ever have.
“I missed you.” Katelyn said.
“I missed you too.” Taemin responded.
“I just have one question.” Katelyn said.
“And that question is?”
“What does Saranghae mean?” Katelyn asked.
Taemin smiled, “I love you.”

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Hi there, hope you enjoyed this story. I know it's short... Like I said, I wrote it in the 8th grade.... Also, if you like that story, please check out another one of my stories in that link there ----> http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/213224/13-miracles-korean-mir-shinee-superjunior-anjell

Thanx for reading(: